Are there 2022 leafs for sale in the US?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
watchdoc said:
Why would you lease at this point? The only give you a fraction of the Tax credit as lease cash and Leases are loaded with extra fees. If you buy, you can get 0% plus the $7500 tax credit. Seems like a no brainer with the current incentives.
I'm only looking for a temporary EV once my Bolt is surrendered (due to buyback), hopefully within the next 2 weeks. I wasn't of aware of how much Nissan/NMAC passes along of the $7500 of the Federal tax credit to the customer in terms of a cheaper lease. Ages ago (in 2013), it was all $7500 but it obviously can vary by automaker and time, all the way down to $0.

I'm concerned about the difficulty selling a Leaf later, esp. if it's a non-Plus w/o the magical 200+ mile EPA range rating. It's not like US Leaf demand has been strong at all for years and it wasn't at all strong when I tried to sell my used Leaf few months into 2019. So, a 2 to 3 year lease for a temp EV is probably ok.... but if much less of the tax credit is passed on, hmmm....

Yes, I'm aware of the various fees besides interest being paid during a lease.

Thanks for the pointers to the dealers!

Nissan passes along however much of the Federal credit to lessees they feel is necessary at any given time. When I leased my 2018 SL, it was only about $2k. When my housemate leased her 2020 SV+, it was more like $6000.

Thanks, watchdoc. A few of those dealers had no Leafs in their new inventory. For the rest, it was pretty light, like 1 or 2, usually.

cwerdna said:
watchdoc said:
I was able to get a $2k plus discount off my new 22 Leaf without a ton of effort. Never left the house actually and dealer delivered. Of course this is on the east coast so ymmv.
BeyondBeLeaf said:
I picked up a 2022, SL Plus last week. There are at least 13 available within a 40 mile range in my area (Dallas/Fort Worth). While I picked mine up at MSRP, I was ok picking it up at that price as I was trading in a 2021 Nissan Titan and they came within $2000 of my payoff. I remember just a few years ago trading in a vehicle that was less than a year old was closer to $10,000 of negative equity. I'm actually one of the few people ok with the used car market being so crazy.
Willing to point me to your dealers? I wonder if they'd be willing to do out of state deals and ship. I'd probably be leasing though.

Not too keen on buying a CHAdeMO car w/o battery cooling at this point.

Spoke to a sales creature that I'd been talking to a bunch of the phone in the past few months. He was supposed to send me some numbers on Monday but never did. I spoke to him on Thursday and he said the car was scooped up before he could send it, so within a day. Leaf supply seems kinda tight here vs. Dallas/Fort Worth area when I checked the other night.

https://www.cars.com/shopping/results/?list_price_max=&makes[]=nissan&maximum_distance=200&models[]=nissan-leaf&sort=distance&stock_type=new&zip=75060

Texas is probably one area where you will have some luck as everyone here loves their SUVs and pickup trucks. My dealership has no inventory right now for the Leaf. I'm almost tempted to see how much they'll buy it back from me just for grins. One thing to consider, shop in states like Texas or some other states that don't push EV technology. Oh, and I got mine with 0% APR which saved me about $3000-ish. Good luck!

^^^
I might look there again tonight. Previously, I'd poked around at some Nissan dealer sites that I was pointed to earlier. My concern is that any/much of the savings might be negated by shipping costs.

But, I'm still not keen on buying a new Leaf as a temp EV. I'm concerned about difficulty selling it about 3+ years down the road.

I'm likely going to lease a Niro EV EX. Had a phone conversation and emails with an auto broker to lease a Niro EV (https://cartelligent.com/ which is CA only) that someone at my work used for another brand and recommended. We'd also discussed Kona EV and he confirmed that one of those would be tough to get. That broker has begun a search already.

Yeah. I've seen some insane prices for used Leafs.

FWIW, there are at least 3 auto brokers dealing with Kia Niro EVs at https://forum.leasehackr.com/tags/c/marketplace/california/14/kia and nothing helpful for Leafs at https://forum.leasehackr.com/tags/c/marketplace/california/14/nissan.

Given the fairly limited supply here in Nor Cal, dealers not being open about prices (or openly marking them up) and www.choosenissan.com not advertising any lease deals for CA, that makes things even tougher.

cwerdna said:

FWIW, there are at least 3 auto brokers dealing with Kia Niro EVs at https://forum.leasehackr.com/tags/c/marketplace/california/14/kia and nothing helpful for Leafs at https://forum.leasehackr.com/tags/c/marketplace/california/14/nissan.

Given the fairly limited supply here in Nor Cal, dealers not being open about prices (or openly marking them up) and www.choosenissan.com not advertising any lease deals for CA, that makes things even tougher.

I don't think it's just the Leaf market. I'm trying to sell a 2016 Chevy that I paid just under $40K for new. Right now I can get about $43K for it. And sure, inflation is one thing but in that 6 years, it's still a good price.

Since cars almost always DEpreciate, it sure is the right time to sell an extra one, or to sell a desired car and buy a less desired one. I keep looking at the '67 Volvo in my garage. ;)

I could sell my Rav4 Prime for enough profit (including tax rebates) to more than cover what I paid for my 2017 Leaf S. But, like with house price appreciation, then I'd have to buy another one.....

BeyondBeLeaf said:
cwerdna said:

I don't think it's just the Leaf market. I'm trying to sell a 2016 Chevy that I paid just under $40K for new. Right now I can get about $43K for it. And sure, inflation is one thing but in that 6 years, it's still a good price.
That's crazy. I know I can't do that w/my '19 Bolt. Heck, the buyback offer from GM for my Bolt is really good. I'm sure I can't get as much as they're offering if I try to sell it on my own.

If all goes according to plan, I will be Bolt and car-less on 1/28/22. Lease of a Niro EV is looking more and more likely.

cwerdna said:
BeyondBeLeaf said:
cwerdna said:

That's crazy. I know I can't do that w/my '19 Bolt. Heck, the buyback offer from GM for my Bolt is really good. I'm sure I can't get as much as they're offering if I try to sell it on my own.

If all goes according to plan, I will be Bolt and car-less on 1/28/22. Lease of a Niro EV is looking more and more likely.

I say go for broke and just get one of these guys.... https://www.lucidmotors.com/

LOL! No thanks!

I'm inching closer to Niro BEV lease. So Cal auto broker I've been exchanging messages with (but will not ship) is much cheaper than one that can get one for me and have it for pickup in the Bay Area. Unfortunately, it's not one that someone at my work has experience with. That one doesn't have any base Niro EV EX trims, only more expensive EX Premium trims.

The one that can have it for me to pick up in the Bay Area someone else at work has experience with but they're a lot more, over $1K difference even after I take into account cost of a flight and an Uber from the airport in So Cal to the dealer. And, I should be able to drive most of the way back up to Nor Cal for free if I'm willing to sacrifice some speed by using https://dot.ca.gov/news-releases/news-release-2021-001 instead of faster DC FCs like paid EA. I used these before on my road trip last month. Unfortunately, this time it's about 450 miles from the dealer to home.

It does look like many are trading out of their gen 2 Leafs as Carmax and carvana have a much larger supply now than 4 months ago. Chicago area down to 8 new Leafs.

Our local dealer has 3 used Leafs for over 30k. Pretty amazing prices for Leafs these days. Record sales of Leafs in Europe in Dec.

DougWantsALeaf said:
My local Nissan picked up some used Leafs for sale. Over 38K for a used 2020 SV+. Wow

The 1 new 2022 SV 40kWh was also 38K sporting a $7,500 markup.

That is really crazy. Where are you located?

In SoCal I just picked up a new 2022 SV+ for $36k+ 2K in dealer mark up in the form of accessories and door protectors and crap I didn’t need. The 0%/72 months also pushed us in favor of Nissan. But after calling every dealer, Hyundai, VW, etc the Leaf is really the only new EV you can get your hands on right now in SoCal and that’s if you go during the week the allotment of a half dozen or so shows up.

Congrats on your new LEAF. Another SoCal owner here and I had a very similar experience recently last December. Seemed to me the more north you go the more markups & dealer accessory packages increased. Found good success with Mossy group (not affiliated) as a dealership chain (San Diego County) that does not do any markups or dealer accessories. Leaving this here for others who may be still in the hunt mode.

Congrats.

I am on the north side of Chicago.

There are 8 new Leafs in all of Chicagoland right now. Dealer told me they have many on order but Nissan isn't alloting then them very quickly.

Spoke (texted) with another dealer in BC. He confirmed what the other dealer confirmed. They can order a new leaf for someone with a possible fall arrival. They will not be getting any for stock as Nissan has told them that production capacity is shared with the Arriya and that takes priority. They actually expect to see Arriyas before stock leafs.

I have no idea if this is true but it seems the dealers are synchronized with this explanation.

Just for info sake, a 40 KW SV is about 33400 after tax with applicable incentives. Keep in mind this is Canadian dollars and you must be a B.C. / Canadian resident to get the applicable incentives. And by the way a Tesla doesn’t qualify for any of those incentives. We get zero incentive on our Model Y that is arriving in 3 to 6 weeks. Sigh.

With the exception of Mustang Mach E there is very little inventory of any EV’s in this province. According to one source there are on average about 53 new EV’s being delivered every day in the province. About 45 are Teslas and the remainder are other manufacturers. If there were Leafs here they would sell. So would bolts. Ionic 5’s and VW’s are trickling in but generally speaking the choices are horrible. The Leaf is on the top of my list for recommendations to those wanting to get a nice reliable gun to drive inexpensive EV. But with zero inventory it’s a hard sell to get somebody interested enough to wait 9 months for one.

Cheers all. Stay safe out there.

Back