62 kwh batteries for 2013-2020 Leafs - where's the Business Plan???

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would pay for a thermally managed 40 kWh LFP pack if I could get one installed for $6k USD or less...

Assuming a $1000 USD installation cost (4 hrs labor, CANBUS bridge, hardware), that leaves $5000 USD for the pack itself, or $125 USD per kWh.

I think there's a chance that could happen, but I would say the odds are not good within the next 3 years. By then, I will likely own a 2018 LEAF and my 2013 will be owned by someone else.

I'd say that you could build a LFP pack yourself for that much, or install one yourself that was built by someone else, but not have a pack built by a third party installed by that or another third party. Get used to thinking 10k$.

I'd say that you could build a LFP pack yourself for that much

Does that include the BMS? Are there readily available, decent quality BMS's available for this size pack already? Would a 40kWh LFP pack fit inside the standard Leaf battery case? If yes to all these, that seems like an attractive option.

I'm sure that you could find a Chinese-made BMS that was appropriate for a 40kwh Leaf pack. The problem is that cheaper BMS units don't have a really high reliability rate. It might not fail per se, but it could lose contact with a cell or three, letting them get out of balance, or overcharge or undercharge...

LeftieBiker said:
I'd say that you could build a LFP pack yourself for that much, or install one yourself that was built by someone else, but not have a pack built by a third party installed by that or another third party. Get used to thinking 10k$.

No need to adjust my thinking, I'm not willing to pay that much for a replacement pack - it doesn't make sense when a newer LEAF, still under pack warranty from Nissan, can be purchased for only a few thousand more.

As I mentioned before, RE an aftermarket pack for $6k USD...

I think there's a chance that could happen, but I would say the odds are not good within the next 3 years

Unless some miracle happens, I'll stick to my plan to buy a 2018/2019 40kWh LEAF, when the timing is right.

Back