Are there 2022 leafs for sale in the US?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BillAinCT said:
Long time owners please let us newbies know - is fast charging not recommended or to be avoided?
Bill
Avoid if you can, don't worry about it if needed.
The more important lesson is to not leave the car sitting at full charge, and this is all the more true when the battery is at high temperature -- e.g., in the summer, or after DC fast charging.

Newbies look for good/bad dichotomies but it doesn't really work that way. Battery temperature, SoC, and duration are the main variables and they exist on a sliding scale where less is better. Battery degradation is fastest when each variable is on the high side and they co-exist at the same time.

From our 2013 LEAF: our 24 kWh battery has about 17 - 18 kWh usable. When my wife plans to take longer drives she charges up to 100% SoC and the car can sit for hours before it is used. In the winter I'm not happy about the behavior but I don't worry about it too much. If it happened in the summer I would have a small temper tantrum. Day after day would be a reason to hide another information session.

LEAF care, advanced
An interesting puzzle occurs in the winter because charging a cold battery is another degradation pathway known as 'Li plating.' I choose to charge the car immediately after a drive in the winter when the battery is warm, as opposed to in the early morning in the summer. My behavior has the undesirable side-effect in the winter of leaving the LEAF to stew at a higher SoC since the car will usually only be used the next day. My gen LEAF lets us choose 80% SoC so I'm less concerned about the extra time it sits at that SoC. It would be a much harder choice if the car was charged up to 100% SoC every day**.

If faced with a LEAF that only charged to 100%, I would reprogram my EVSE to a lower amperage in the winter so that charging completed closer to when the car was used and the cold battery would not have to take high-er amps.

To answer OP's question, supply sounds tight in the SF Bay Area. One sales creature I've been in touch with pinged me on 12/19/21. I asked him how many he receives each month. That day, via text, he said he's scheduled to receive 5 in Jan 2022 but 3 already have deposits on them.

Side note: Sometimes I pass by car dealers and from the street/highway (not specifically Nissan), I can see their lots are pretty empty. This is true in other parts of CA (like north and NE of where I am and So Cal too) in the past few weeks. I saw Ford and Toyota dealers this way.
knightmb said:
I might have a way to get anyone who wants to buy the remaining 2021 inventory Leaf at manufacture pricing in touch with someone at Nissan HQ, but I'm trying to see what "limits" they have on this and how many can participate. Basically, Nissan HQ has some extra inventory they keep at the business and they are willing to sell them at basically the cost they paid to get it (no dealership haggling, get full tax credit, etc), but I am trying to find how many they have available to do this with. It's kind of like getting the Leaf at the full employee discount price. When I have more info, I'll create a topic for it as I'm in touch with one of the top managers at the Nissan HQ about this deal.
Has there been any notable news on this or a topic created? I did reply to this back on 12/23/21. It definitely needs to be price competitive with '22 Leafs and the full tax credit is important. Would hopefully also not have the warranty clock start until the customer actually purchases. I'm already hesitant about buying a CHAdeMO car.

Also, would there need to be a Nissan dealer that needs to host this and do the paperwork? Would they be willing to ship to the SF Bay Area?

Just trying to weigh/see what all my options are since buyback email w/dollar values for my Bolt came today. Need to run the numbers (busy today) tonight/this weekend but from 1st glance, I will likely have GM buy it back, leaving me w/no car. My CA registration expires on 1/28/22 so I hope to surrender the car by that date. I would be ok w/no car for a few days or even weeks (would have to rent) but beyond that will likely be a problem.

Because of the holidays, I'm still waiting for him to return. Basically, Nissan HQ has a bunch of "plus" Leaf's they drive around with "manufacture" tags. They might be used in commercials, ads, events, on display at the Mall, etc. They have 10 of them I think that is what he mentioned, that they will sell off and get some more of the newer model year to repeat the process. So they are selling off the 2021's they had, now they are getting in some 2022's, etc. What it is, you get a very low mileage 2021 plus in various colors, but with all the features, etc. They can ship it to a dealership (I'm assuming anywhere in the USA) and they (Nissan) pay the dealership a destination fee or something he mentioned and some other fee so the dealership makes some money, but you get the Leaf at an extreme discount (better than any dealership haggling will get you), plus the tax credit, full warranty, etc. just like it bought it new. I knew what he was talking about, because they have all of them parked in the lot behind the QC stations, all with manufacture tags on them.
I'm still waiting on him, so I don't know when he will get back, that's why I was waiting on creating a topic once I had more info about how this whole process works since I have a family member also interested in doing a Gen 1 to Gen 2 upgrade. Once I know more, I'll post it up, but until then, just in standby myself waiting... :?

cwerdna said:
To answer OP's question, supply sounds tight in the SF Bay Area. One sales creature I've been in touch with pinged me on 12/19/21. I asked him how many he receives each month. That day, via text, he said he's scheduled to receive 5 in Jan 2022 but 3 already have deposits on them.

Side note: Sometimes I pass by car dealers and from the street/highway (not specifically Nissan), I can see their lots are pretty empty. This is true in other parts of CA (like north and NE of where I am and So Cal too) in the past few weeks. I saw Ford and Toyota dealers this way.
knightmb said:
I might have a way to get anyone who wants to buy the remaining 2021 inventory Leaf at manufacture pricing in touch with someone at Nissan HQ, but I'm trying to see what "limits" they have on this and how many can participate. Basically, Nissan HQ has some extra inventory they keep at the business and they are willing to sell them at basically the cost they paid to get it (no dealership haggling, get full tax credit, etc), but I am trying to find how many they have available to do this with. It's kind of like getting the Leaf at the full employee discount price. When I have more info, I'll create a topic for it as I'm in touch with one of the top managers at the Nissan HQ about this deal.
Has there been any notable news on this or a topic created? I did reply to this back on 12/23/21. It definitely needs to be price competitive with '22 Leafs and the full tax credit is important. Would hopefully also not have the warranty clock start until the customer actually purchases. I'm already hesitant about buying a CHAdeMO car.

Also, would there need to be a Nissan dealer that needs to host this and do the paperwork? Would they be willing to ship to the SF Bay Area?

Just trying to weigh/see what all my options are since buyback email w/dollar values for my Bolt came today. Need to run the numbers (busy today) tonight/this weekend but from 1st glance, I will likely have GM buy it back, leaving me w/no car. My CA registration expires on 1/28/22 so I hope to surrender the car by that date. I would be ok w/no car for a few days or even weeks (would have to rent) but beyond that will likely be a problem.

knightmb said:
Basically, Nissan HQ has a bunch of "plus" Leaf's they drive around with "manufacture" tags. They might be used in commercials, ads, events, on display at the Mall, etc. They have 10 of them I think that is what he mentioned, that they will sell off and get some more of the newer model year to repeat the process. So they are selling off the 2021's they had, now they are getting in some 2022's, etc. What it is, you get a very low mileage 2021 plus in various colors, but with all the features, etc. They can ship it to a dealership (I'm assuming anywhere in the USA) and they (Nissan) pay the dealership a destination fee or something he mentioned and some other fee so the dealership makes some money, but you get the Leaf at an extreme discount (better than any dealership haggling will get you), plus the tax credit, full warranty, etc. just like it bought it new. I knew what he was talking about, because they have all of them parked in the lot behind the QC stations, all with manufacture tags on them..
This sounds like how a dealership in Minnesota got these models in 2020:

https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=31416&p=593321&hilit=Walser#p593321

Some pictures I got going by the HQ today. This isn't a dealer lot, so there is no one to clean the snow off the vehicles to get a better picture, but the only colors I saw was Blue, Black, and White and they all appear to be SL Plus, so if anyone was hoping to save some money by not getting the most expensive trim and packages, you might be out of luck. :?

pSibOmm.jpg

PDCMsTS.jpg

^^
It will be interesting to hear prices.

Pre-covid, when dealerships had oodles of brand new LEAFs to move, I can understand why buying a used LEAF from HQ was not a feature attraction and HQ resorted to selling direct to retail. But that is not the case now, so dealerships will be competing with private buyers for the car and HQ will sell (+/-) to the highest bidder, although the dealerships will have the inside track and may be treated as preferential customers.

I'm reminded of most (including Nissan) leasing arms that prevented 3rd party lease buyouts to try and force customers to sell returns to the dealerships. I don't think this is much different -- the dealerships want the used cars.

Thanks for the update, knightmb!

Will sit tight and have my expectations set.... hmm. If they price them above '22 Leaf going prices (MSRPs at https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/2022-nissan-leaf-press-kit), they probably will have trouble selling them. '21 MSRPs were much higher (https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/2021-nissan-leaf-press-kit).

Need to ping a bunch of Nissan sales creatures to see the situation (e.g. how many they have coming in, leasing possible/reasonable?, etc.) this weekend.

After doing a bit of digging last night on lease prices (e.g. on Kona EV vs. Niro EV), I'm leaning towards Niro EV leasing via a broker that I mentioned at https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/bolt-buybacks-for-california.37246/page-60#post-683304. I will have to see if Bay Area dealers are honoring advertised lease deals (e.g. https://www.kia.com/us/en/offers/result?zipCode=95136&seriesId=V&year=2022&offers=3%2C2%2C1%2C4) currently has $219/mo 24 and 36 month leases w/$3499 due at signing. But, there's also tax, license and fees. The guy who used the broker in early Dec 2021 said Bay Area dealers weren't honoring advertised lease deals...

I'd only be looking for base versions of the cheapest trim of Niro EV or Kona EV.

On Niro EV, per https://www.kia.com/us/en/niro-ev/build, it looks like on both trims, the cold weather package which includes battery heater, heat pump and heated steering wheel is unfortunately an $1100 package. If the vehicles don't have it, oh well. I'm only planning to lease.

Looks like on base Kona EV (SEL) per https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/vehicles/kona-electric/compare-specs, you don't even get heated seats unless you add the $3500 convenience package.

Unfortunately, Kona EV IIRC doesn't have any equivalent of Around View Monitor at any price/trim. I believe that's also true of Niro EV.

I'm not sure Kona EV for the US market even has a heat pump available as an option or any trim.

Update: Checked on situation of new Leafs via dealer web sites and pinging some sale creatures. Many dealer web sites showed no new Leafs. Some showed some in transit.
cwerdna said:
Via text convo (that's how they've been pinging me), I asked them how many they're receiving each month. They said they're scheduled to receive 5 Leafs in January but 3 already have deposits on them.
That one showed 2 Laefs in transit arriving in January. Pinged sales creature and he said those both have deposits on them already.
cwerdna said:
Another dealer (probably not high volume Leaf before) who I'd been speaking to seems to get maybe 1 or 2 a month.
Their site showed two Leafs. Spoke to that guy on phone. He told me there's really only one, an SV Plus. He said he will email w/me some lease figures.

I pinged one dealer via text updating them on my buyback situation and noticing their site shows 0 new Leafs. I asked if they're expecting this month. He didn't answer that part but said they have no new Leafs. They only have used ones (I saw two and their prices are too high). He asked if I want new or used. I said either's fine but for used, it needs to be a low enough price given the '22 MSRP drop and me being able to claim the tax credit. He replied he'll check but that they have a markup above MSRP on their new ones. Sigh...

Now, I only see 1 used Leaf. It's an S trim (don't want) and priced so high that it'd be cheaper to buy at MSRP a new one and take the $7500 Federal tax credit.

We are back under 10 Leafs for Chicagoland. I think we are seeing an increased acceptance of EVs across metro areas (party driven by Gas prices...and costco lines for modestly less expensive gas). As more people look, more realize the Leaf (and mini) are 2 of the only really affordable EVs out there, as unsexy as the Leaf is to many.

It looks like the Leaf gets one more hurrah in 2022 globally. It sold pretty well in Europe in Nov and Dec; and still is the only real choice in many emerging markets.

cwerdna said:
Now, I only see 1 used Leaf. It's an S trim (don't want) and priced so high that it'd be cheaper to buy at MSRP a new one and take the $7500 Federal tax credit.
Having fun yet ? I hope you are keeping track of the hours spent on this.

I notice you keep comparing to a magical new car that is on the lot and does not have dealer mark-up. I don't think the dealer is going to fall for it. LOL

For now, it appears your main choices are to pay a premium for a car you can take delivery of now, or to pay msrp for a car that will be delivered sometime in the future. The closer the car on the lot is to you, the more you pay.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I think we are seeing an increased acceptance of EVs across metro areas (party driven by Gas prices...and costco lines for modestly less expensive gas). As more people look, more realize the Leaf (and mini) are 2 of the only really affordable EVs out there, as unsexy as the Leaf is to many.
I think it is more a case of people shopping for cars under $30k. People will even buy an EV if it is (relatively) cheap enough. Heck, they will even buy a LEAF EV if it is cheap enough.

I met a fellow a few months ago charging his FIAT EV at a public L2 station in New Mexico since his apartment complex was not equipped. He learned it was an EV when he called about the car and that gave him some pause, but he sure liked the price, the pristine look despite being a used car, and the availability of financing. Much later he learned that the closest service for his car was in California, and that it did not have DC charging.

He loved his FIAT EV, and had turned into an EV advocate. He was planning to attend local EV expos to spread the word. Until the day he met me, he only knew of that one single public EVSE.

NEVER, EVER underestimate the ignorance of people buying EVs, particularly those whose motive is solely or mostly money. That would be today's market.

SageBrush said:
cwerdna said:
Having fun yet ?

I notice you keep comparing to a magical new car that is on the lot and does not have dealer mark-up. I don't think the dealer is going to fall for it. LOL

For now, it appears your main choices are to pay a premium for a car you can take delivery of now, or to pay msrp for a car that will be delivered sometime in the future. The closer the car on the lot is to you, the more you pay.

I was able to get a $2k plus discount off my new 22 Leaf without a ton of effort. Never left the house actually and dealer delivered. Of course this is on the east coast so ymmv.

Marktm said:
How close is the Leaf to the loss/reduction in Fed tax incentive?

Approx 30k units to go before they reach 200k. With the Aryia not hitting the market until the fall, 2022 buyers should be safe.

Even when an automaker hits the magical 200K mark, the reduction isn't immediate. There's a phaseout period.

https://insideevs.com/features/337511/november-update-4-automakers-closest-to-losing-federal-tax-credit/ has a copy of the pic from https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml that got broken years ago (under Phaseout). https://web.archive.org/web/20150207072512/https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml has a working copy of that image.
SageBrush said:
cwerdna said:
Having fun yet ? I hope you are keeping track of the hours spent on this.

I never said this dealership model was a good one.

One Nissan sales creature I spoke to claims his dealer doesn't markup Leafs. They only do it on two other vehicles (Pathfinder and Frontier?).

I'm not real keen on buying a new Leaf due to CHAdeMO and rapidgate. I'm also not keen on buying a used one w/the warranty clock that began ticking years ago that is more $ than a new one minus $7500 Federal tax credit.

I'm still exploring a few options (e.g. lease takeovers (been in touch w/two MNLers; asking at work), leasing a new EV (e.g. Leaf, Niro EV or Kona EV)). The used Leaf market is too wonky (coupled w/the overall wonkiness of the new and used car market) and makes no sense.

HyunKia supposedly doesn't allow lease transfers (https://www.swapalease.com/help/lease-company/hyundai-motor-finance-company, https://www.swapalease.com/help/lease-company/kia-financial-services + other sources) so those are out.

I picked up a 2022, SL Plus last week. There are at least 13 available within a 40 mile range in my area (Dallas/Fort Worth). While I picked mine up at MSRP, I was ok picking it up at that price as I was trading in a 2021 Nissan Titan and they came within $2000 of my payoff. I remember just a few years ago trading in a vehicle that was less than a year old was closer to $10,000 of negative equity. I'm actually one of the few people ok with the used car market being so crazy.

watchdoc said:
I was able to get a $2k plus discount off my new 22 Leaf without a ton of effort. Never left the house actually and dealer delivered. Of course this is on the east coast so ymmv.
BeyondBeLeaf said:
I picked up a 2022, SL Plus last week. There are at least 13 available within a 40 mile range in my area (Dallas/Fort Worth). While I picked mine up at MSRP, I was ok picking it up at that price as I was trading in a 2021 Nissan Titan and they came within $2000 of my payoff. I remember just a few years ago trading in a vehicle that was less than a year old was closer to $10,000 of negative equity. I'm actually one of the few people ok with the used car market being so crazy.
Willing to point me to your dealers? I wonder if they'd be willing to do out of state deals and ship. I'd probably be leasing though.

Not too keen on buying a CHAdeMO car w/o battery cooling at this point.

Spoke to a sales creature that I'd been talking to a bunch of the phone in the past few months. He was supposed to send me some numbers on Monday but never did. I spoke to him on Thursday and he said the car was scooped up before he could send it, so within a day. Leaf supply seems kinda tight here vs. Dallas/Fort Worth area when I checked the other night.

cwerdna said:
watchdoc said:
BeyondBeLeaf said:
Willing to point me to your dealers? I wonder if they'd be willing to do out of state deals and ship. I'd probably be leasing though.

Not too keen on buying a CHAdeMO car w/o battery cooling at this point.

Spoke to a sales creature that I'd been talking to a bunch of the phone in the past few months. He was supposed to send me some numbers on Monday but never did. I spoke to him on Thursday and he said the car was scooped up before he could send it, so within a day. Leaf supply seems kinda tight here vs. Dallas/Fort Worth area when I checked the other night.

Why would you lease at this point? The only give you a fraction of the Tax credit as lease cash and Leases are loaded with extra fees. If you buy, you can get 0% plus the $7500 tax credit. Seems like a no brainer with the current incentives.

Anyway, I ultimately purchased mine from Nissan of Hendersonville, NC and they delivered the car about 400 miles for free but you would likely have to get a west coast car shipped which is pretty expensive ($1200-$1600 would be my guess) but here is a list of other dealer that were willing to discount.

Nissan of Hendersonville, NC
Crown NIssan of Greensboro, NC
Modern Nissan of Hickory, NC
Nissan of Rock HIll, SC
Banister Nissan of Chesapeake
Hall Nissan of Chesapeake
Winners Circle Nissan of Virginia Beach

Back