New to Electric and looking to buy a Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Once a month should be fine. You don't have to worry, because the new cells with higher voltage won't cause an early shutdown like low cells can do. If anything they may add a few meters of range.

Belated Merry Christmas to everyone, hope you are all having a good holiday season. I have another question and this is regarding cold weather . We are having some unusual colder than normal temperatures here , about -10 to -15 Celsius at night and a bit colder with the windchill . I haven’t driven the leaf much for about 5 days because we also have snow so I am using my truck to get to work . My battery is at around 62% SOC . Is it okay to leave it parked in the cold weather at that charge and what’s the advice on charging in the cold ? Do I need to be concerned, even though it’s not super cold. The car is in the garage but my garage is not heated . Stop only charging level 1, as I am waiting for the electrician to return to finish the wiring for level 2. I took the car out for a short drive yesterday and it seemed fine . If I do charge , is it best to charge immediately after driving because the batteries will be warm ? Should I leave it plugged in ? Will charging time be longer because of the sub zero temperatures?

Don't leave it plugged in as that can drain the 12V battery. Otherwise, at 60% SOC I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Charging when the battery is warm can't hurt but I don't think it has a huge effect. I think I've heard it is not a good idea to CHAdeMO with a very cold battery but otherwise don't worry about it.

Dyno1 said:
Belated Merry Christmas to everyone, hope you are all having a good holiday season. I have another question and this is regarding cold weather . We are having some unusual colder than normal temperatures here , about -10 to -15 Celsius at night and a bit colder with the windchill . I haven’t driven the leaf much for about 5 days because we also have snow so I am using my truck to get to work . My battery is at around 62% SOC . Is it okay to leave it parked in the cold weather at that charge and what’s the advice on charging in the cold ? Do I need to be concerned, even though it’s not super cold. The car is in the garage but my garage is not heated . Stop only charging level 1, as I am waiting for the electrician to return to finish the wiring for level 2. I took the car out for a short drive yesterday and it seemed fine . If I do charge , is it best to charge immediately after driving because the batteries will be warm ? Should I leave it plugged in ? Will charging time be longer because of the sub zero temperatures?
You're into a Winter usage frequency and temperature zone where I parked my previous '14 Leaf SV for many days straight. In my case, it was parked because the range drop in the cold was not worth the frustration on a relatively long commute. Also in my case, I have a 2nd ICE vehicle that makes real heat from genuine fire so it's just not worth battling harsh Winter conditions in the Leaf. The one aspect I discovered over time about longer-term parking in the cold was to drive & recharge the car a day before it's really needed. That's to raise the battery temps to where it's more efficient. My '14 did not have a Chademo port so some casual driving and L2 charging was the best plan. In the case of my '19 SL, a Chademo session can be used to help with rewarming the battery.

Also in my case, I have a 2nd ICE vehicle that makes real heat from genuine fire so it's just not worth battling harsh Winter conditions in the Leaf.

I gotta say that the Leaf has hot air blowing WAY before any ICE vehicles we have ever had, less than a minute from startup. We have gotten used to the lowered efficiency (yes it is hard to see m/kWh drop to the low threes) but the comfort factor is actually an improvement over ICE. And even at these winter efficiency rates the out-of-pocket cost (which we all recognize is not the equivalent of total environmental impact) is around the same as getting 60 MPG in an ICE.

dmacarthur said:
Also in my case, I have a 2nd ICE vehicle that makes real heat from genuine fire so it's just not worth battling harsh Winter conditions in the Leaf.

I gotta say that the Leaf has hot air blowing WAY before any ICE vehicles we have ever had, less than a minute from startup. We have gotten used to the lowered efficiency (yes it is hard to see m/kWh drop to the low threes) but the comfort factor is actually an improvement over ICE. And even at these winter efficiency rates the out-of-pocket cost (which we all recognize is not the equivalent of total environmental impact) is around the same as getting 60 MPG in an ICE.
Very true, and totally enjoy the cold weather equipment in the Leaf. The biggest constraint was the older 24 KWh Leaf became a mind challenge getting home from a 76-mile commute on a 25F day. Keeping enough heat on the glass to melt snow buildup and not having to walk home the last few miles was more problematic. In the old Leaf I wouldn't even attempt the commute below high 20's F. The 40 KWh pack is a huge improvement, but got almost no commuting usage the past 2 Winters due to medical leaves. This Winter I'm ready including Michelin X-Ice on 16's. Thus far a dry 20F day sucks @ 2/3 the battery for that same commute.

Hi all ,

Still loving my leaf :) I have two questions, one my Leafspy shows SOC at 36.7% snd my dash shows 33%. I have noticed very rarely they are the same and usually show different percentages , is the Leafspy the one to go with? Also my leaf is an import from the US, so I cannot use the Leaf Connect App because it won’t recognize the VIN. I chatted online with an agent from Nissan USA today and they removed the original owner in the US who was still on record on their end as the owner and registered me as the owner . The agent said I need to go to Nissan USA and register now as the owner and use a US address , I was told the app still won’t work but can use the portal on the Nissan USA website to check the car charging rate when charging and there is no charge to me. Has anyone in Canada who has/had a US import Leaf done this ? Does it work ? It asks who my cell provider is and none are of any Canadian cell providers .

Dyno1 said:
Hi all ,

Still loving my leaf :) I have two questions, one my Leafspy shows SOC at 36.7% snd my dash shows 33%. I have noticed very rarely they are the same and usually show different percentages , is the Leafspy the one to go with?
I would recommend that you go with the dashboard SOC , understanding that it is a bit conservative and becomes more so as you approach zero - but that’s a good thing since you don’t want to be stranded.

Dyno1 said:
Also my leaf is an import from the US, so I cannot use the Leaf Connect App because it won’t recognize the VIN. I chatted online with an agent from Nissan USA today and they removed the original owner in the US who was still on record on their end as the owner and registered me as the owner . The agent said I need to go to Nissan USA and register now as the owner and use a US address...
Use their own HQ address ;)

1 Nissan Way
Franklin, TN 37067

That's what I always used for mine, I'm more into privacy when it comes to that kind of stuff. :lol:

I have a US mail box so I just used that address, but your idea is great 👍🏻 I keep getting a message saying telematics enrolment blocker due to AT&T discontinuing 2G & 3G. Any way around that ?

Dyno1 said:
I have a US mail box so I just used that address, but your idea is great 👍🏻 I keep getting a message saying telematics enrolment blocker due to AT&T discontinuing 2G & 3G. Any way around that ?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that, 3G gets discontinued here next month, I'm not sure what that will do for enrollment, even if it technically still works in your location, Nissan seems to be running away from it as fast as possible.

Also, just noticed the forum supports the high-bit icons, I had no idea, LOL 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 🥶

Dyno1 said:
I keep getting a message saying telematics enrolment blocker due to AT&T discontinuing 2G & 3G. Any way around that ?
Use OVMS.
See this thread: https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=32715

And then it being a U.S. LEAF won't matter.

Back