BMS firmware update

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RawVim

Is there a way for the consumer to determine if the BMS firmware update has been applied?
Or can that only be determined (and applied, if needed) at a dealer?

Thanks.

Yes. You can tell by the version number, as read by LeafSpy Pro. I just got up and can't remember the details offhand, but someone will post it shortly, I'm sure.

Details are here https://youtu.be/H-Eq93RniJ8

Even though this video shows a 40kWh Leaf and the author mentions the old battery pn ends in A, it is identical for 30kWh versions many of which end in B

Bottom line is that the last digit of the battery part number (which can be displayed by LeafSpyPro) changes to C after the BMS update has been done. If it ends in A or B the update has not been done.

Is this update delivered via System Updates in the Settings Menu, or is this a Dealer installed update?

goldbrick said:
Bottom line is that the last digit of the battery part number (which can be displayed by LeafSpyPro) changes to C after the BMS update has been done. If it ends in A or B the update has not been done.

Is this only for the Gen1 LEAFs? On my November 2021 produced '22 SL+ I see 5SF0B for the HV Battery and wondering if I should be seeking a BMS update to see something that ends in C. I should be unlikely that a car that rolled out of the assembly line 2 months ago needs this update which is dated couple years now but still checking on it to make sure. Thank you

The BMS update was created to try to fix a BMS programming error that some 30kwh Leafs have exhibited (and maybe also to mask genuine degradation in the cars that have that). AFAIK, it is for 30kwh packs only.

LeftieBiker said:
The BMS update was created to try to fix a BMS programming error that some 30kwh Leafs have exhibited (and maybe also to mask genuine degradation in the cars that have that). AFAIK, it is for 30kwh packs only.

Thanks for confirming that. Most appreciated

Driver8 said:
Can I find if the BMS firmware update has been done using LeafSpy lite?

If you can enable the service screen you probably can but I think that option is only available in the Pro version.

The line to look at in leafspy is the “HV Battery”.

Mine is 4NP4C 0611 HV Battery (2016 30 kWh SV)

In the video he has a 40 kWh leaf and his is:
5SH2C HV Battery

Thankyou for info about Bms firmware update. Where do I find the battery part number on Leaf spy or what combination of figures? Thanks!

LeftieBiker said:

When I first heard about this update I immediately thought "I bet they just readjusted/recalibrated to give the illusion of adding back bars" pure speculation of course, but my gut feeling :lol:

Back