New to Electric and looking to buy a Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks goldbrick for that great explanation:) Just dropped the car off doing brake fluid flush for $125 and Nissan recommends that the gear reduction fluid be changed at 48,000 Kms ( I am at 49,000) I told them to do it , cost $100. Not sure if I got suckered on that but I figure at least I know it has been done and $100 didn’t seem to much. They tried to sell me a $420 service which included the two items I am having done already plus tire rotation , multi point inspection and cabin filter change , I told them no. I’ll change the cabin filter myself and the filter costs only $20. I know the previous owner did zero maintenance so figured best I do some.

jlv said:
Looks like the Tesla/LEAF owner with the 6kW guess wins.
For the purposes of this wager, I am the 'Tesla owner.' Please don't dilute my moment of triumph.

:twisted:

I currently have LeafSpy Lite which I got when I was looking to buy a Leaf. Now that I have a Leaf I was thinking of upgrading to LeafSpy or LeafSpy Pro. Android had LeafSpy for $12.99 or LeafSpy Pro for $18.99 Canadian . iOS has LeafSpy Pro for $27.99. Which operating system is better for it and which version to buy ? Why is iOS $10 more ?

I don't know why the IOS version is more but I'd guess that the Apple store takes a bigger cut. There may be other factors like extra development effort or licensing fees also.

I'm a bit of a phone dunce but I thought phones were either Android or IOS and you would just buy the version for the phone you already have. Am I missing something or do you have both types of devices?

I have both type of devices . I have an iPhone and an Android tablet which I currently have the LeafSpy Lite on. I’ll follow LeftieBiker’s advice and go the with Android Pro version, all the advice given to me by LeftieBiker has been bang on correct :)

So I final purchased Leafspy Pro for my Android device . It shows the tire pressure at 32 psi . Doing some reading and most suggest to have the tire pressure at around 40psi. The tires on my Leaf are not Eco tires but regular tires, does having the pressure set at 40ish psi still apply? What’s the reasoning behind having higher tire pressure?

For best fuel economy (and best tyre wear too), set the pressures to sidewall max. The trade-off is a less compliant ride, and potholes pose a higher risk of causing tire damage.

For you, this discussion is academic. Either inflate your tyres or take a bus to work

Higher tire pressure results in less rolling resistance. It can make a sizeable difference but as noted, you will feel the bumps in the road a bit more.

Sounds good , just topped them to 38psi. I can sacrifice comfort for range . Wish I could take transit to work, but our system is so horrible here it would take me 3-4 hours to get to work.

I kept my 2013 at 42 psi (or 44 psi, I forget) all the time. I personally never thought I sacrificed any comfort, but I did certainly gain range.

OP,

Have your looked through plugshare to see if any L2 along your route or near your destination might help you ?
You should also snoop around your workplace for L1

There are a few locations at my work that have L2 charging stations and I can also charge L1 at my work, just trying to figure ways to extend my range. Still waiting for the electrician to come by and wire 240 to my garage, so I can top up the battery between my day shifts at home and pre-heat my car before going to work. I am on holidays right now so it's not a big deal, but I hope he is able to come by sooner than later.

Afternoon all. Just curious on how often to charge to 100% for cell balancing. I charged 100% last night, should charging to 100% be done once a week or less often or more ? Charging to 100% definitely is noticeable with bringing the cells all close together since I have 4 cells that are fairly higher than the others since a cell module was changed by the previous owner under warranty.

Dyno1 said:
Afternoon all. Just curious on how often to charge to 100% for cell balancing. I charged 100% last night, should charging to 100% be done once a week or less often or more ? Charging to 100% definitely is noticeable with bringing the cells all close together since I have 4 cells that are fairly higher than the others since a cell module was changed by the previous owner under warranty.

If you can work a 100% SOC into an event (like right before you leave for work), it can be a semi-yearly thing if the all the cells are fine. Having them all balanced is good for an emergency event, like running the battery down to 0% and beyond, it will be able to squeeze out every last bit of power capacity instead of shutting off early (like even before turtle mode kicks in). I would recommend not being too concerned with the cell balance as there will always be a little drift over time both up and down cell voltages, but it is something to check from time to time to see if any one particular cell seems to be falling way below or above the other cells in the pack.

Back