New to Electric and looking to buy a Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Station said 6.02 Kw

I interpret this to mean that the car received this amount of charge during the entire time it sat there- I could be wrong but the effort here is to help Dyno figure stuff out as he goes forward. What he really cares about is how many more miles can be driven based on the time at the Level 2 charge station.

PS I recognize that the post referred to kW and not to kWh but I suspect that the charging station gave a readout of the total charge (kWh) and not of the rate .... again, could be wrong (as my friend Bruce says, often wrong but seldom in doubt!)

dmacarthur said:
PS I recognize that the post referred to kW and not to kWh but I suspect that the charging station gave a readout of the total charge (kWh) and not of the rate .... again, could be wrong (as my friend Bruce says, often wrong but seldom in doubt!)

Then why did you write
6.02 kW in 2 hours? that is pretty slow
Cwerdna is *not* happy with you (or am I.)

Chargepoint displays kW for sure; and IIRC kWh also, at least some of the time.
It pretty much has to report power because some owners charge by time.

---
OP, what is the charging point location ?

Then why did you write

It is a fair assumption that a person new to the game will see a number and not correctly write it down- my hope is that Level 2 charging stations are clever enough to tell us how much energy (kWh) has been put into the car during the charge rather than the rate at which it was flowing (kW). Seems like a more useful number- I essentially never pay for L2 so am not sure. We have probably scared the OP enough that they will never reply, but we are curious as to how much the % of charge went up during the hockey game- that is the bottom line.

Just reading some of the posts , since I last posted .Sorry for the slow reply . The charging station is at the recreation center off Wilson Avenue in Port Coquitlam, someone had asked the location . I took a picture of the station screen once it was done and it showed 6.2KW AC so I stand corrected on what I wrote earlier (6.02) . Looking at my ChagePoint app it shows I gained 79 Kms on range , 12kwh for energy and I charged the car 1hr 57 minutes . Sorry if I created any confusion earlier with my numbers , hope that clarifies it better :)

^^ Perfect

uc

dmacarthur, your mistake was assuming dyno1 is American. Canucks know a watt from a joule, and they are literate.

Keep it polite, Sagebrush.

Generally speaking, a typical L-2 station will charge at the rate of ~6kw, or about 6kwh every hour. That drops with some stations if they have more than one EV charging at one station. Other stations are connected to a 208 volt power supply, and that can mean a slower charging rate. And, as I wrote and I think was generally understood, there are other factors that can affect the charging rate, like a very cold battery. So if you are stopping to charge and it's -30C outside and you haven't been driving long, allow extra time to charge.

Fortunately where I live LeftieBiker , the temperature never gets down to -30c :) I am very thankful for that lol Once again , thank you to everyone for their posts ! I think I am starting to figure things out , just like anything new it will take time . I apologize if I have caused any conflict between members with any incorrect information I originally posted .

Going to be down at the rink again tonight and was thinking of charging again. The car is at about 49% battery , should I let it run lower before charging ? I’d only be charging to 80% . I know the recommendation seems to be 20-80%.

OK , great. So charging at 70% or below in cooler weather is safe. :) How about in the summer time when things are warmer out, what should I be letting the battery get significantly lower than 70% before considering charging? I assume the reason is so that the battery doesn't get to hot.

Essentially. In warmer weather what matters is how warm the battery is, more than the temperature outside. It's just that a hot battery is much more likely in warmer weather. If you see no more than six temperature bars on the dash (five is better), then charge as you would in the Winter, but only charge to 100% if you need the charge and can time it to reach full soon before you leave - like an hour or so or less. If you see seven bars or more, then try to let the battery cool for a few hours before charging. And if you don't have to charge with the battery at more than 60% in warm weather, don't.

Good morning,

I have an appointment to get my brake fluid changed today . Since I have a few cells that show high because they were replaced is there dealer able to balance the cells? Do they have something they can do it with or should I just do it on my own ?

The car's electronics will continuously work to balance the cells. In your case, the issue is that some cells are newer so they have more capacity than the other cells. The balancing currents are very small compared to the total capacity of the cells so the balancing will take time and may never completely balance the cells since they are not all equivalent.

Unless it's causing problems, I wouldn't worry about it. The dealer's tools may have a way to balance the cells while they are in the pack but usually the cells are charged before they are replaced to get them to the same voltage as the rest of the cells in the pack. This means the pack starts off balanced. After that, it's up to the programming in the car's electronics to keep them balanced. The balancing is needed since each cell varies a little bit and they lose capacity at different rates over time. In this case, some cells are much different than the others. Hopefully this case was considered by the designers but I don't think there is much you can - or need to - do at this point.

SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:
Keep it polite, Sagebrush.
You know me -- I try.

For future reference, what is the polite and PC way to say 'American' ?

LOL, even that can have some PC issues with the younger generation because it might refer to the indigenous people before that got taken over. But I do take it as a serious culture question, some people take 'American' to only mean the USA where as others apply it to anyone in N. America (Canada, Mexico, etc.) If you are referring to a specific country, Canada and Mexico already have their respective Canadian and Mexican, but for the USA, some use US-American. Depends totally on the generation of the audience you have.

Back