Nissan Ariya to be announced for the JDM July 15, 2020

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still don't like the nose. It looks like the car is either blind, or is squinting severely, like Mr. Magoo. I guess I'm old-fashioned enough to want to see real headlights on the front of a car...

DougWantsALeaf said:
It sounds like summer 2022 for the US. I bet that's just the RWD version as well. So late given EV6 arrives in Jan.

That would be the version I'd cross shop. I didn't think I'd get to do that, but with Hyundai and Audi delayed as well, who knows.

DougWantsALeaf said:
It sounds like summer 2022 for the US. I bet that's just the RWD version as well. So late given EV6 arrives in Jan.

I wouldn't bet any money on scheduled Jan deliveries unless the announcement was made "this" month...

Received a marketing email today about Ariya w/the subject "Discover ARIYA,* your ride to the electric future. Coming Late Fall 2022."

At the bottom it says "Expected availability late Fall 2022."

Sigh... Nissan is moving too slowly in the US market in light of what's going on this year here.

SageBrush said:
I've lost track of the Ariya delays. What is the anticipated start of production date ?

I wouldn’t bank on it coming over any faster than the various E-power models they endlessly talked about 2015-2017

Nissan has a way of missing opportunities targeting the wrong things

cwerdna said:
Stumbled across https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IphIqCvUq9U as it's apparently on display at the Chicago Auto Show.

"The Ariya will essentially replace the LEAF"

WRONG. They do not occupy the same space and other than the drive mode and nameplate, share essentially nothing. The LEAF survives today because it is the price/performance leader. It would be beyond foolish to abandon the niche and leave what? The Bolt (maybe...some day) as the sole option in that price performance category.

I do like several of the design decisions Nissan made. Putting the drive mode selector as a stand alone button near the shifter is pure genius. They could have done better with spacing in the center console area but there is more than enough room to put in an add on storage box between the dash and console. Its nice that it moves. I wished mine moved a bit forward of where it stands now.

But the key will be price and yeah, not being 800 volts means the Ariya is handicapped out of the gate. Too many look at that single statistic and assume way too much "inconvenience" because of it despite knowing they will do well over 90% of their charging in the garage.

I saw an actual production model at Nissan HQ yesterday. It was red, had the drivers side on the left of the vehicle for USA driving and only the CCS charge adapter on the drivers side (nothing on the other side, it's using the combo CCS). They were charging at the CCS QC at Nissan HQ and just got done as I pulled in. It was a couple driving it, it still had manufacture tags, but I could see that everything inside was fully functional (including Pro Pilot 2), all the stuff to cover the "eye" sensors was gone for example. This time I noticed it uses the same "Canto" sounds to reverse and forward that the Leaf uses now. The other Ariya I have seen in the past had VPS sounds that sounded like the original Gen 1 Leaf sounds. Had English writing on the sides for the model, name, trim, etc. I don't know if it came from Japan or if it was made here in USA.
If I see it again with more daylight, I'll take some pictures! :)

knightmb said:
I saw an actual production model at Nissan HQ yesterday. It was red, had the drivers side on the left of the vehicle for USA driving and only the CCS charge adapter on the drivers side (nothing on the other side, it's using the combo CCS). They were charging at the CCS QC at Nissan HQ and just got done as I pulled in. It was a couple driving it, it still had manufacture tags, but I could see that everything inside was fully functional (including Pro Pilot 2), all the stuff to cover the "eye" sensors was gone for example. This time I noticed it uses the same "Canto" sounds to reverse and forward that the Leaf uses now. The other Ariya I have seen in the past had VPS sounds that sounded like the original Gen 1 Leaf sounds. Had English writing on the sides for the model, name, trim, etc. I don't know if it came from Japan or if it was made here in USA.
If I see it again with more daylight, I'll take some pictures! :)

Please do. I had read somewhere that someone saw a leaf with a charge port on both sides. Any speculation on what that is or was about?

Cheers all.

My bet is that the 23 Leaf has ccs and comes out in spring of 23 after Ariya finally shows up.

It helps the brand to have 2 EVs for sale, and the Leaf does meet many if people car needs fully.

Does anyone know if the Leaf was at the Chicago Auto show this year?

DougWantsALeaf said:
My bet is that the 23 Leaf has ccs and comes out in spring of 23 after Ariya finally shows up.

It helps the brand to have 2 EVs for sale, and the Leaf does meet many if people car needs fully.

So a blurb about the US bragging about the 500,000 charging stations they will start installing in a few months. Any word of whether they will be dual or triple format stations? That would be significant although I have to say I for one do not see the downfall of Chademo like most everyone else.

If Nissan comes out with the 250 mile Ariya @ $40K and the 230 mile LEAF @$25K with the current 100 kw chademo, you don't think it would sell?

DaveinOlyWA said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

So a blurb about the US bragging about the 500,000 charging stations they will start installing in a few months. Any word of whether they will be dual or triple format stations? That would be significant although I have to say I for one do not see the downfall of Chademo like most everyone else.

If Nissan comes out with the 250 mile Ariya @ $40K and the 230 mile LEAF @$25K with the current 100 kw chademo, you don't think it would sell?

^^^See the discussion in the "Government subsidies/perks/mandates for EVs" topic.

I don't think the downfall will be fast. I think we will see a lower % of new installs in 23 have Chademo, and nearly 0 by 24. Then slowly as equipment ages, availability starts declining. I have already seen more installs already going in without chademo, EA and dealerships being the biggest offender.

If Leaf stays with Chademo for another couple years, it will help keep it alive a bit longer. Compared to 2013 when I started our Leaf journey, the availability of Chademo is amazing and getting better so really not complaining.

Back