TSLA corporate outlook

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Elon Musk: ‘This will be Tesla’s (TSLA) most intense delivery week ever’
https://electrek.co/2021/09/27/elon-musk-tesla-tsla-most-intense-delivery-week-ever/

GRA said:
ABG:
Tesla kills referral programs for cars and solar panels
It will only honor Solar Roof referrals now

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/09/19/tesla-cancels-rewards-program-cars-supercharging/

When I was looking to do a solar install on a rental, I was surprised Tesla was offering any referral for panels + Powerwall. They were already the lowest cost by far of any local installer. They are not as fun to deal with IMO. Limited handholding or even info during the process. But, I've done installs myself and didn't need much. 4.5kW and a Powerwall cost just a bit more than only panels from 3 other local installers; $20k vs $18k. Install went great. Start to finish in 4-5 hours.

cwerdna said:
Elon Musk: ‘This will be Tesla’s (TSLA) most intense delivery week ever’
https://electrek.co/2021/09/27/elon-musk-tesla-tsla-most-intense-delivery-week-ever/

I guess we'll find out if the most recent manufacturing push ignores QC to get more cars out, as in the past. Should we expect reports of roofs or major body panels falling off as new cars are being driven home? Meanwhile, via IEVS:

Tesla China Sues Model S Owner For $780K In Defamation Trial
The man continued to bad-mouth Tesla even though he had recently received $155,000 from the EV maker after winning a separate lawsuit.

https://insideevs.com/news/536998/tesla-sues-owner-for-defamation/

. . . Han Chao posted legal documents on social media in which Tesla says it is suing him for 5.05 million yuan ($781,700) for defamation. The company also demands an apology and the removal of Han's posts about the sales fraud suit from the Weibo platform.

According to pictures of the complaint posted by Han, Tesla filed the lawsuit after several recent social media posts in which he described Tesla as a “rogue company,” “rubbish Tesla” and “such a quack.” The South China Morning Post published Tesla’s statement from the lawsuit filing.

Han has been spreading his words through a series of online and offline actions… leading the public to have a negative impression of Tesla, causing damage to the company’s reputation. . . .”

The newspaper tried to contact Tesla China requesting comment but the automaker did not respond to “multiple emails, messages and phone calls.” Upon receiving the complaint, Han Chao publicly ridiculed it on his Weibo profile.

“Do you mean to say, even though you need to pay me more than 1 million yuan in compensation, even though I am the victim, I cannot say a bad word about you and need to pay 5 million as a price?”

It all started in June 2019, when Han bought a used Tesla Model S from the automaker’s official sales website. Despite being reassured that the vehicle had “no major accidents, no structural damage and had never been in a fire or flood,” Han claims that the car shut down three months later while he was driving.

Han says he asked Tesla to replace the vehicle at the time, but the company only agreed to change the defective parts. After repeated attempts to settle the issue amicably, he took the car to a third-party workshop, and the evaluation revealed traces of cutting and welding in the car’s rear-side panels. That was a clear indication that the car had been in an accident before being sold to Han.

He therefore sued Tesla for sales fraud, and the Beijing Daxing District People’s Court found the EV maker guilty in the first instance of hiding the car’s previous damage when selling it to Han. The court ruled that Tesla should pay Han 1 million yuan ($155,000) in the final instance on September 17, 2021, only ten days before the automaker sued him back for defamation.

This is incredibly stupid of Tesla. Unsatisfied customers are going to bitch - a company doesn't need to bring extra notice to and validate their bitching by trying to shut them up, especially when the company was found guilty in the first place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW7WIvSxB4Q
It’s been five years since Tesla acquired SolarCity for about $2.6 billion. The deal was immediately controversial with some shareholders suing Elon Musk. But fans looked forward to charging their Tesla electric vehicles on sunshine. CNBC interviewed industry experts and recent Tesla solar customers to see how the company is delivering on its promises today.
I watched the whole thing but there's too much to easily summarize accurately.

IMHO the SolarCity acquisition was a disaster from when it was first proposed. And I still think their Solar Roof shingles are a questionable product; the video mentions just the problem that roofs are non-uniform, making the install process much more complicated. I'm definitely not a fan of Tesla service, and their Energy division makes service response look outstanding. Dealing with them for our PowerWall install was exactly how I suspected it would be: challenging to difficult. I wouldn't want Tesla Solar putting something on my roof. I can only imagine the anguish if there was an actual problem with the roof and I needed to get them out to fix it.

To the contrary, our PV panels were installed by a locally owned and operated company, and they are responsive and answer the phone. The one time we needed something, they were out the next day to replace a panel that wasn't generating. They are still in business and I've probably referred a twenty people to them in the 6 years since our install.

Last December a house in my neighborhood (Volt 1 5-6 years ago, Model S P100D added 2-3 years ago) had solar shingles installed on the entire roof, with 3 Powerwalls (I can see when their garage door is open). It's a tricky roof with lots of angles and corners, and it took about a week to do the job. It looks okay although there are a few gaps around vent pipes, and IMO regular solar would look just as good*. But that's my aesthetic opinion, I'm used to the way PV modules look, and I'm not the person who had to pay for them.

Still, I thought then and still think the buyout was a bailout for a member of the family.

*although the total area of coverage would be less - I don't remember what the conversion efficiency of the shingles are, to do a rough calc of output.

GRA said:
Last December a house in my neighborhood (Volt 1 5-6 years ago, Model S P100D added 2-3 years ago) had solar shingles installed on the entire roof, with 3 Powerwalls (I can see when their garage door is open). It's a tricky roof with lots of angles and corners, and it took about a week to do the job. It looks okay although there are a few gaps around vent pipes, and IMO regular solar would look just as good*. But that's my aesthetic opinion, I'm used to the way PV modules look, and I'm not the person who had to pay for them.

Still, I thought then and still think the buyout was a bailout for a member of the family.

*although the total area of coverage would be less - I don't remember what the conversion efficiency of the shingles are, to do a rough calc of output.

There are so many solar PV installs in my neighborhood, you just get used to it. The houses start to look naked without them. The solar roof seems like a cool novelty, but I spent right around 6k after rebate for a 6 kW DC install last year (did it myself). Price really matters, so I can't see myself doing a solar roof unless it was a new build. And even then, maybe not. I think that money would be better spent in a geothermal heatpump.

GCR:
Tesla raises Model 3 and Model Y base prices by $2,000

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1133799_tesla-raises-model-3-and-model-y-base-prices-by-2-000

Tesla has raised the base prices of the Model 3 and Model Y by $2,000, the latest in a series of price changes this year.

First spotted by Electrek, Tesla's online configurator now shows the price of the base rear-wheel drive Model 3 Standard Range Plus as $41,990 instead of the previous $39,990.

The starting price of the Model 3 Performance also increased from $56,990 to $57,990, while the price of the Model 3 Long Range is unchanged at $49,990.

Similarly, the Model Y Long Range now starts at $54,990, compared to $52,990 before. The higher-level Model Y Performance also got a price bump, from $60,990 to $61,990.

Starting prices for both the Model 3 and Model Y were cut earlier in the year, and then in July were raised. With this latest price change, the Model 3 Standard Range Plus is a whopping $5,000 more now than in February.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk also repeatedly teased the possibility of a $35,000 Model 3. It was here for a while, but now long gone. That's why the Standard Range Plus is now the base model. . . .

IEVS:
Tesla CCS1 Adapter: 'Available In North America Soon'

It's now officially launched in South Korea and offers up to 150 kW output.

https://insideevs.com/news/541781/tesla-ccs1-adapter-us-soon/

. . . It costs 299,200 KRW (about $255) and according to Tesla's website, allows charging at up to 500 V and up to 300 A, which means that the peak is limited to 150 kW. We guess that it might be less in the real world (like 100-120 kW), but let's wait for reports from the field.

At least for now, the adapter works only with the Model 3 and Model Y so the Model S and Model X must continue to rely solely on the Tesla Supercharging network. . . .

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/25/tesla-shares-up-on-news-hertz-will-purchase-100000-electric-vehicles.html

VW, Ford, GM, Nissan and the rest need to follow suit as rapidly as feasible.

I've rented a LEAF from Enterprise twice.

WetEV said:
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/25/tesla-shares-up-on-news-hertz-will-purchase-100000-electric-vehicles.html

VW, Ford, GM, Nissan and the rest need to follow suit as rapidly as feasible.

I've rented a LEAF from Enterprise twice.

I saw that and yes TLSA stock is up nicely today. But given the supply constraints, and they've already been jacking up prices, this could cause even MORE price increases. The thought around the web is the Cyber truck may come in 10 to 20k higher than promised. And the news is that Rivian is making TWO of their trucks per day right now.

I can't blame TESLA for raising prices, but it isn't helping the masses. If anything it just reinforces the idea EVs are toys for the rich. :?:

"Electric vehicles are now mainstream, and we've only just begun to see rising global demand and interest," said Hertz interim CEO Mark Fields. "The new Hertz is going to lead the way as a mobility company, starting with the largest EV rental fleet in North America and a commitment to grow our EV fleet and provide the best rental and recharging experience for leisure and business customers around the world."

Today, 40 percent of U.S. consumers say they are likely to consider an electric vehicle the next time they are in the market for a new vehicle, according to Pew. Global EV sales skyrocketed 200 percent in the last year and will likely continue to grow with commitments from global automakers to increase EV sales. For example, in August, three U.S. automakers pledged to boost EV sales to 40-50 percent by 2030.

Press release is at https://newsroom.hertz.com/2021-10-25-Hertz-Invests-in-Largest-Electric-Vehicle-Rental-Fleet-and-Partners-with-Seven-Time-Super-Bowl-Champion-Tom-Brady-to-Headline-New-Campaign

So Hertz is now using the words "Tesla" and "EV" interchangeably? They are going to disappoint a lot of older and disabled people who want to try an EV but can't easily squeeze down into a Model 3. I had been picturing several models used, including the Leaf. By using Model 3 Teslas only, Hertz is priming themselves for, at best, a needlessly limited success.

LeftieBiker said:
So Hertz is now using the words "Tesla" and "EV" interchangeably? They are going to disappoint a lot of older and disabled people who want to try an EV but can't easily squeeze down into a Model 3. I had been picturing several models used, including the Leaf. By using Model 3 Teslas only, Hertz is priming themselves for, at best, a needlessly limited success.

Yah. I tend to agree. Getting in and out of the model Y (or leaf) is easier than a three.

Share price they the roof today. On days like this I have to remind myself that we bought to hold long term. Ugh.

ABG:
Buttigieg defends safety agency appointment after Musk claims she's 'biased'
'He's welcome to call me if he's concerned'

https://www.autoblog.com/2021/10/23/pete-buttigieg-eelon-musk-nhtsa-appointment-twitter/

. . . Musk has taken umbrage with the appointment of Duke University engineering and computer science professor Missy Cummings as a safety adviser at the National Traffic Highway Safety Administration (NHTSA). “Objectively, her track record is extremely biased against Tesla,” he said Tuesday.

Cummings, who directs the Humans and Autonomy Laboratory at Duke, responded that she was “happy to sit down and talk” to Musk anytime.

Cummings has also been a frequent Twitter user, often airing her concerns over Tesla’s driver assistance technology and the company’s methods for rolling it out on the social media platform. In September, she sent a series of tweets criticizing Tesla’s rollout of the “safety score” as a way of allowing drivers access to its “Full Self-Driving” beta program.

But her criticisms of Tesla go back much further. Two years ago, Cummings said (also on Twitter) that Autopilot, Tesla’s advanced driver assistance system, “easily causes mode confusion, is unreliable and unsafe.” She added that NHTSA should require the automaker to turn it off.

Cummings’ nomination to the safety advisory role at NHTSA could suggest a more conservative stance on advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) and Tesla at the agency in the future.

Of course, NHTSA and Tesla are no strangers. In August, the agency opened a safety probe into Autopilot, after discovering 12 incidents in which Tesla vehicles crashed into parked emergency vehicles. Regulators also investigated an incident involving a fatal crash in 2017 and 25 further crashes involving Tesla’s ADAS since that time.

As late as August, in response to a tweet asking Cummings whether she thinks FSD could ever achieve full autonomy, she said: “my prediction is never.” But that doesn’t mean she necessarily thinks LiDAR — light detection and ranging software that measures distance with pulses of laser light — is the answer either. Instead, she suggested that full self-driving will not be possible without “a complete rethink of reasoning under uncertainty” that can only be brought about through advances in deep learning. . . .

Back