Rental property charging

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WetEV

GRA said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:
Charging facilities will have to be mandated for most rental property, because most landlords get no benefit, and the tenant isn't going to pay.

Right now, most landlords get no benefit, as almost no renters drive an EV. Time is needed again. This will change.

At the high end, sure. At the low end, no; they'll have to be forced (and/or subidized) to do so, just as they had to be forced to provide hot and cold running water, stoves, flush toilets, bathing facilities, heating, lighting, electricity, garbage collection, etc.

Tiny homes have shared kitchen, bathroom and showers. Not much parking, as most residents can't afford a car. I don't see much point in requiring much in the way of charging...

https://charterforcompassion.org/problem-solving/tiny-houses-for-the-homeless-an-affordable-solution-catches-on

What is required and/or subsidized needs careful consideration.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:
Right now, most landlords get no benefit, as almost no renters drive an EV. Time is needed again. This will change.

At the high end, sure. At the low end, no; they'll have to be forced (and/or subidized) to do so, just as they had to be forced to provide hot and cold running water, stoves, flush toilets, bathing facilities, heating, lighting, electricity, garbage collection, etc.

Tiny homes have shared kitchen, bathroom and showers. Not much parking, as most residents can't afford a car. I don't see much point in requiring much in the way of charging...

https://charterforcompassion.org/problem-solving/tiny-houses-for-the-homeless-an-affordable-solution-catches-on

What is required and/or subsidized needs careful consideration.

Deflect much? Who's talking about tiny homes for the homeless, who are more likely to live in a car than drive it? Not me.

I'm talking about the typical apartment building/row house, of which there are several within walking distance of me. I lived in a fair number of such apartments when I was younger; maybe you did too, and they make up the vast number of rental units, especially in urban areas. The minimum number of off-street parking spaces builders need to provide is usually mandated by code, although there is now a movement in some urban areas to reduce or eliminate such minimums and leave it up to the developer, provided the cost of housing and parking are separate, in an attempt to de-emphasize cars and prioritize public transit, MaaS, biking & walking.

Saying consideration is needed is stating the obvious, as it is the subject of the discussion.

GRA said:
I'm talking about the typical apartment building/row house, of which there are several within walking distance of me. I lived in a fair number of such apartments when I was younger; maybe you did too, and they make up the vast number of rental units, especially in urban areas.

Yes I did, including a unit that had power for block heaters. When it is -35 (F or C), there is a need. If there is a need, there will be a market.

I don't know if code required such.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
I'm talking about the typical apartment building/row house, of which there are several within walking distance of me. I lived in a fair number of such apartments when I was younger; maybe you did too, and they make up the vast number of rental units, especially in urban areas.

Yes I did, including a unit that had power for block heaters. When it is -35 (F or C), there is a need. If there is a need, there will be a market.

I don't know if code required such.

Hopefully, 50-100 years in the future someone will be as amazed as I was re when
landlords were required to provide hot water, to discover that it was once legal for landlords to not provide dedicated charging for every unit.

Back