Nissan L1 EVSE third-party upgrade to both 120V and 240V

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MrZorg said:
But I'd be willing to pay $100 for it, $150 if it includes the common adapters mentioned previously. Not too much more than that though...
I am keeping an open mind about what the cost is going to be considering how much labor probably goes into just de-potting the unit. As much as I would like it to be around $100 I just don't see that as being feasible at the moment. I hope Phil proves me wrong!

I don't support criminal activity (re: my comment about buying the stolen ones off of eBay), instead this is my sarcastic response to the poor design of the charger that makes it so easy to steal. IF it had a longer A/C cord it coudl easily be locked inside the car.. but the best plan would have been to install the charger INTO the car and just have the A/C plug from the car to the wall. This portable style has numerous problems (e.g. hangs off the wall by the plug, is too easy to steal, takes up room in the cargo area, can be dropped, etc.).

Steve...,
It appears that you have the GM-lead Standards people to thank for the "requirement" for the EVSE for the EV, and its "design".

------------
EVD..,
Are you yet able (and willing) to tell us anything about how the stock L1 EVSE is "out of spec"?

Is the Neutral-Side of the Power-In almost "grounded" somewhere?

Any indication of a possibility of switching the Max-Current between 12 amps and 16 amps?
Possibly requires firmware change?

Great work, you and Phil. THANKS

EVDRIVER said:
Gary is correct on his comments, this unit was completely de-potted which was very labor intensive even for someone with years of experience, after doing this by hand in the most careful manner some parts were damaged and replaced. There were several modifications to the board.
Sounds labor intensive - I can't imagine what it would take to de-pot it - the epoxy that's used is usually very tough. At which point would it be more cost effective to build it from scratch? It sounds like Phil has the expertise to do so.

Will the modded EVSEs be re-potted before returning to the customer?

drees said:
EVDRIVER said:
Gary is correct on his comments, this unit was completely de-potted which was very labor intensive even for someone with years of experience, after doing this by hand in the most careful manner some parts were damaged and replaced. There were several modifications to the board.
Sounds labor intensive - I can't imagine what it would take to de-pot it - the epoxy that's used is usually very tough. At which point would it be more cost effective to build it from scratch? It sounds like Phil has the expertise to do so.

Will the modded EVSEs be re-potted before returning to the customer?

It is not needed however it will be in place on future orders. I don't recommend attempting this unless you are prepared to replace components on the board as they will be damaged no matter how careful one scrapes, yes it is a pain in the rear. Pricing will hopefully be in place soon after some testing with actual commuting hours from one of your friendly LEAF drivers. The goal is to get actual feedback on the entire process from delivery to use, I should be able to update everyone on Monday or Tue. I will say the quality of the unit overall is decent and the J connector on the Nissan EVSE seems to be better than those on other products some are using today. As far as an increase in the amperage, this would require a bit more modification as well as a new pilot signal generator.

Probably cheaper to reuse the case/J connector/cable and build new electronics.. de-potting boards is very labor intensive.

Herm said:
Probably cheaper to reuse the case/J connector/cable and build new electronics.. de-potting boards is very labor intensive.

To reduce labor cost in this area a project is in the works to breed a carpenter ants that feeds on this material rather than wood. It's still in the developmental stage and they seem to only last one cycle unfortunately.

I am also definitely interested in this!

Is this correct? (UPDATED - thanks guys!)
- L1 EVSE that comes with US LEAF: 120v x 12a = 1440 watts
- AeroVironment's L2 EVSE unit: 240v x 30a = 7200 watts
- Phil's Modified EVSE: 240v x 12a = 2880 watts
- Current (2011) US LEAF max charing rate = ~3800 watts

Questions
1. What is the cost (for the modification, the optional adapters, and the shipping each way)?
2. How long does each modification take?
3. Would it be possible to have the modifications done in SoCal one weekend if there were enough people from the area who were interested? (ie Drop off our units in the morning, pick them up in the evening or drop off on Saturday, pick up on Sunday)
4. Does the mod include the ability to run the unit at 16a? Is that a separate mod? What about at other currents such as 32a (if say future LEAFs have the ability to charge faster than 3.3kW)? How much?
5. What are the implications for those who are leasing? At the end of the lease, will returning the vehicle with an "improved EVSE" present any issues?

A note about charge port doors

I think it would be smart for Nissan and other EV builders to use single port hardened door design like a quick fuel door , thick plastic or aluminum not much larger than the 1772 nozzle

When you open the strong hinged door the j772 locks into the port and lid

MaYbe 2 ways to remove it 1 approach charger port with a smart key fob in your possession

2 access car and unlock from inside of car

That will reduce nuisance dis- connects

omkar said:
I am also definitely interested in this!

Is this correct?
- L1 EVSE that comes with US LEAF: 120v x 12a = 1440 watts
- AeroVironment's L2 EVSE unit: 240v x 16a = 3840 watts
- Phil's Modified EVSE: 240v x 12a = 2880 watts
- Current (2011) US LEAF max charing rate = 3300 watts

Questions
1. What is the cost (for the modification, the optional adapters, and the shipping each way)?
2. How long does each modification take?
3. Would it be possible to have the modifications done in SoCal one weekend if there were enough people from the area who were interested? (ie Drop off our units in the morning, pick them up in the evening or drop off on Saturday, pick up on Sunday)
4. Does the mod include the ability to run the unit at 16a? Is that a separate mod? What about at other currents such as 32a (if say future LEAFs have the ability to charge faster than 3.3kW)? How much?
5. What are the implications for those who are leasing? At the end of the lease, will returning the vehicle with an "improved EVSE" present any issues?

1. TBD likely next week
2. usually a 1 day turn around form N. CA.
3. Not likely at this time but a care swap will be considered if there is enough demand
4. Not at the moment but is under consideration, yes this requires a separate mod.
5. I can't answer this one at the moment

omkar said:
Interesting question. Ofcourse, in 3 years we should be able to buy a replacement EVSE and give that back ...

I'm tentatively interested, as long as it's not too expensive. I guess $200 might be the "Well, I'll have to think about it" threshold for me.

I'm on the list for a potential free eTec charger*. If I luck into one those, my interest in this mod will diminish a bit. It won't diminish completely, however, since it sounds like this would make for a very nice universal travel-charger*.

I'd encourage Phil to try to work out some sort of "core charge" arrangement, since that would shorten the turnaround, and let Phil (and the ants) do the work at a more leisurely pace. I don't want him to be hurrying.

* I mean EVSE, of course. :cool:

DaveNagy said:
I'm tentatively interested, as long as it's not too expensive. I guess $200 might be the "Well, I'll have to think about it" threshold for me.

I'm on the list for a potential free eTec charger*. If I luck into one those, my interest in this mod will diminish a bit. It won't diminish completely, however, since it sounds like this would make for a very nice universal travel-charger*.

I'd encourage Phil to try to work out some sort of "core charge" arrangement, since that would shorten the turnaround, and let Phil (and the ants) do the work at a more leisurely pace. I don't want him to be hurrying.

* I mean EVSE, of course. :cool:

I can assure you nothing is rushed and if there is enough demand a core program will be in place. You are in the ballpark in pricing that would include return shipping likely. Parts costs add up quickly not to mention time to do it properly. By mid the end of next week there should be some feedback for everyone.

Was the de-potting just to discover the nature of the circuitry? Now that they know, is it necessary to de-pot the thing to do the mod? If so, yeah, that would be labor intensive. I'm hoping that they won't need to, or maybe only selected component...

omkar said:

Omkar, if I have my LEAF by the time you decide to have this done to your L1 EVSE, you can borrow mine til yours is done. If you want to do it before I get my LEAF, I bet someone else here in OC will lend you theirs. :)

1. The 2011 LEAF's max charging current draw appears to be just shy of 16 amps. Thus about 3800 watts (not just 3300 watts) when using 240v source.

2. A local loaner L1 EVSE is a good idea to cover the 6 to 14 days (2 to 5 days Ground shipping each way) that your EVSE would be gone, while "getting fixed".

3. Is the non-spec. "item/feature" that was discovered in the L1 EVSE something that we should know about (for safety) in normal, unmodified, 120v operation?

Boomer23 said:
Omkar, if I have my LEAF by the time you decide to have this done to your L1 EVSE, you can borrow mine til yours is done. If you want to do it before I get my LEAF, I bet someone else here in OC will lend you theirs. :)

Much appreciated Phil!

I am sure that there would be plenty that would trade your undated unit for a stock unit

This is all very interesting. There have been many comments on new EVSEs to check if they are UL compliant... will the conversion meet UL specs?

I think I still want a permanent cord up on the wall of the garage so I will probably pass on the conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back