Nissan L1 EVSE third-party upgrade to both 120V and 240V

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Core swap would definitely be the way to go -- order with $deposit, refunded after L1 received in good condition. No downtime.

The picture shows a great solution.. auto-switching, multiple adapters. This is awesome.

I can imagine many folks would get by with this alone, and no home L2 EVSE.

got an email from Phil. thank you Phil for the very quick response quoted below
Hi Dave,

We aren't offering anything just yet, but considering offering an upgrade to your EVSE. You send us your EVSE, we upgrade it, include plug adaptors to allow 120V or 240V use, and send it back. We should be able to turn these around within a business day.

We are in Berkeley, CA.

No costs have been determined yet, we would need to source parts still. We had not planned on extending the length of any cables, though if you use a proper wire size, there is no technical reason why it can't be extended. Say if you needed an extra 50 feet, that could be done with #12 cable, and 2 L6-20 ends. However, Due to safety concerns, you generally don't want to run unprotected 240V cabling outdoors. Everything past the EVSE box is "safe" for use outside, but anything before it is not. One simple way you could make it safe is to have a 240V GFCI put in where you plug in the EVSE.

I suppose we could upgrade your cable length from the EVSE box to the J1772 connector, which would be safe to use outside. If you wanted to pay for the cable (not exactly cheap), we could likely do this for you, then it would be a safe way to have a long reach.

If we are able to offer this service I will be sure to let you know. It will involve sending us your EVSE and we will then send it back with the upgrade complete. We will warranty the upgrade for at least a year. It will then still work as before on 120V, but you then can also use it on 240V at your discretion. The unit will auto-configure for each voltage.

Also note that "110 volt" hasn't been available in this country since before WW2. The proper voltage is 120V. =)

-P

DaveinOlyWA said:
got an email from Phil. thank you Phil for the very quick response quoted below
I've also been in contact with Phil and he seems like a really nice guy. Long time EV enthusiast. We work a few blocks apart and I'll be visiting him in a few days to see what he's up to. It sounds like he really wants to make this upgrade accessible to EVers. I'll keep the forum posted,

Glenn

This is all fantastic news! Since the charger in the current Leaf is 3.3 kilowatt max and this modification will allow for 2.88 kilowatt charging with the included EVSE I personally don't see the need to get another EVSE just for the extra 420 watts.

It still boggles my mind why this functionality is not already built into the included EVSE.

Has anyone tested the unit on a leaf at 240v?

What is the charge time?

240v 16a

2800 watts?

Can't believe this wouldn't be an option from. Nissan

Course not many appliances run on 240v in the us

Definitely interested as well. This will make charging on the go a lot easier, and the Nissan 120V L1 EVSE is very compact.

Combine this with a quick220 adapter and a couple heavy duty extension cords and you can charge at 75% normal L2 charge rate just about anywhere.

Bonus points if Phil can build a quick220 type adapter for less than what they charge ($160 for a 15A quick220)...

Has anyone tried to purchase an extra L1 EVSE from Nissan? I'd be interested in purchasing an extra if Nissan has them available. It will be my only means of charging so I want a backup.

1. The European / UK "included" EVSE is L2 (220/240v) not L1 (120v).

2. After this mod to the USA "included" L1 EVSE, it becomes a "universal voltage" (L1/L2) EVSE.

3. This L1/L2 EVSE would still "offer" 12 amps Max to the car, I believe.

4. It is likely that there is more to this "mod" than just replacing a component and the "waterproof" pigtail.

5. Getting the mod and adapters done RIGHT is certainly worth something!

6. Wattage:
120v x 12a = 1440 watts (standard L1 EVSE)
240v x 12 amps = 2880 watts (L1/L2 EVSE)
220v x 15a = 3300 watts (3.3 kW "nominal" EVSE description)
240 x 16 amps = 3840 watts (3.84 kW, a 16-amp L2 EVSE)

7. Useful Pigtails:
a. for 120v socket.
b. for 240v 4-pin (modern) dryer socket.
c. for RV "30-amp" (120v) socket
d. for RV "50-amp" (240v) socket
e. Others

Right, I found that I have both of the two 120 phases in the dual-duplex sockets right near my "old-style" (1978) dryer plug. One duplex socket is on Line1, the other duplex socket is on Line2. Very convenient. Sometimes all the sockets in (most of) one room are all on the same phase.

When I install new "utility" sockets (240v and 120v) in the garage, I will try to do the same thing there.

Googler said:
Has anyone tried to purchase an extra L1 EVSE from Nissan? I'd be interested in purchasing an extra if Nissan has them available. It will be my only means of charging so I want a backup.

Don't bother ordering from Nissan, it won't be too long until the stolen ones end up on eBay.

SteveInSeattle said:
Don't bother ordering from Nissan, it won't be too long until the stolen ones end up on eBay.
So... you support criminal activity? :roll:
=Smidge=

GroundLoop said:
f. Dual 120v plugs for opposite phases. :)

A accessory with this feature is being considered with a safety interlock. Gary is correct on his comments, this unit was completely de-potted which was very labor intensive even for someone with years of experience, after doing this by hand in the most careful manner some parts were damaged and replaced. There were several modifications to the board. The cable end will not be extended on wall side to keep everything as close to compliance. There may also be an option for extending the J connector for those interested. Considerable time and effort went into these modifications, testing was also performed to exceed the voltages as the unit will fail if used on 240,3 even with a universal supply. Any other loads on the charge location in general like a motor, or voltage pitch would also cause a failure without the additional mods. In the testing phase of the original unit it was found to not meet the actual SAE spec.

drees said:
Definitely interested as well. This will make charging on the go a lot easier, and the Nissan 120V L1 EVSE is very compact.

Combine this with a quick220 adapter and a couple heavy duty extension cords and you can charge at 75% normal L2 charge rate just about anywhere.

Bonus points if Phil can build a quick220 type adapter for less than what they charge ($160 for a 15A quick220)...

If I understand your questions the answer is yes.

SteveInSeattle said:
[Don't bother ordering from Nissan, it won't be too long until the stolen ones end up on eBay.
Thanks for reminding me to pick up a pad lock for the one I have!
Googler said:
According to this post http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1401&start=67
eringo2659 said:
I just looked up that part number on a parts website found by a google search. according to everythingnissan.com the part number is for package-evse and the list price is $625.00 and the price they are selling it for is $508.39.
No idea if it is actually in stock however.

Ouch. That's not much cheaper than the AV unit is. More portable though.

On this conversion, pricing hasn't been determined yet from what I heard. But I'd be willing to pay $100 for it, $150 if it includes the common adapters mentioned previously. Not too much more than that though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back