Delivery Date: 01 Sep 2011
Leaf Number: 7458

Re: Defective New Nissan EVSE?

Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:09 am

GerryAZ wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:35 pm
LeftieBiker wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:51 am
The good news here is that for about $220 you can get a Chinese-built L-2 charging cable that will work on 208 volts.
Or you can get UL listed units made in North America (Grizzl-E and Clipper Creek are a couple different brands) for about $200 more.
Good on you @GerryAZ !
No need to promote cheap Chinese goods: you get what you pay for.
2011 Blue Ocean SV w/OVMS
12v LiFePO4 battery w/Antigravity Battery Tracker
FIAMM 74100 horns/Wet Okole seat covers/Tor's heater mod/Dala's CAN-bridge
Lizard Pack (Rev E) installed @51 months/41k miles
40 kWh Pack (Gen2) installed @115 months/85k miles

LeftieBiker
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018

Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:00 pm

I don't generally "promote" cheap Chinese goods - I usually suggest Clipper Creek. I had thought that the OP had mentioned cost as an issue. Since it turns out they didn't, I'll edit my post.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

SageBrush
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:40 pm

LeftieBiker wrote:
I don't generally "promote" cheap Chinese goods - I usually suggest Clipper Creek. I had thought that the OP had mentioned cost as an issue. Since it turns out they didn't, I'll edit my post.
Mentioning that a product exists is not 'promoting' it, and fwiw, I can think of multiple posts in the forum of people satisfied with their Chinese made EVSE while I cannot remember a single complaint. I personally would not be inclined to buy the Chinese goods but so far they appear to be holding their own.

Lastly, Clipper Creek (CC) has a line of EVSE products called Amazing-E that are about the same cost of shipped from China products but are serviced and warrantied by Clipper Creek. I cannot remember if they are UL listed, and the warranty is shorter. If I was looking to save some money on an EVSE, I would buy the Amazing-E. << THAT is a recommendation.

My other recommendation for an EVSE that is cheaper than Clipper Creek or e.g. Juicebox is the Grizzl-E. Their product is priced about 1/2 way between the Chinese and CC with a more standard warranty, and they have a good reputation.

--
<soapbox>
ALL of these companies buy Made in China components. There are only (at best) 3 differences between them:
1. Customer Support
2. Assembly QA/QC
3. Actionable warranty
</soapbox>
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/18: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
09/20: 54.3 Ahr; 38k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

jjeff
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121

Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:12 pm

SageBrush wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:40 pm
LeftieBiker wrote:
Mentioning that a product exists is not 'promoting' it, and fwiw, I can think of multiple posts in the forum of people satisfied with their Chinese made EVSE while I cannot remember a single complaint. I personally would not be inclined to buy the Chinese goods but so far they appear to be holding their own.

Lastly, Clipper Creek (CC) has a line of EVSE products called Amazing-E that are about the same cost of shipped from China products but are serviced and warrantied by Clipper Creek. I cannot remember if they are UL listed, and the warranty is shorter. If I was looking to save some money on an EVSE, I would buy the Amazing-E. << THAT is a recommendation.

My other recommendation for an EVSE that is cheaper than Clipper Creek or e.g. Juicebox is the Grizzl-E. Their product is priced about 1/2 way between the Chinese and CC with a more standard warranty, and they have a good reputation.

--
<soapbox>
ALL of these companies buy Made in China components. There are only (at best) 3 differences between them:
1. Customer Support
2. Assembly QA/QC
3. Actionable warranty
</soapbox>
I have several EVSEs one of them being a cheap Chinese built one and truthfully it's been working just as good as the others for 4 years, in fact I'm currently using it to charge my '12SL that maxes out at 16a as does that EVSE so it's a good fit. I also like how versatile the cheaper EVSEs are, this particular ESVE works on not only 120v @ 16a(12a on my '12SL) but also ~200-240v @ 16a max. I could complain the cord gets a bit stiff in below zero temps and it's a bit short but at the time it was less than half a name brand EVSE and as it was just going to be a spare I thought I'd give it a shot.
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

lissahenry
Delivery Date: 28 Feb 2021
Leaf Number: 304359

Fri May 07, 2021 8:55 am

I am having the same exact problem. 2020 Nissan Leaf picked up at the end of February. The EVSE charge cable works with the trickle adapter for 120V. HOWEVER, when we plug it in to our brand new, licensed-electrician-installed 240V outlet, it does not work. Same steady Green and Red light with the middle Orange light blinking. For this combo of lights, the instructions say "This trouble is caused by a malfunction of the EVSE internal circuits. Stop using the EVSE immediately and contact a Nissan dealer."

Our electrician also says the problem is the EVSE. He says that the trickle can work because the cable probably has no problem carrying the small load, but something in the EVSE's circuit is malfunctioning that is preventing the 240V from going through.

I went to dealership and they will not replace the cable unless they can prove it's not working, BUT they (nor other nearby dealerships) do NOT have a 240V outlet to test it! They told me to call USA Nissan Consumer Affairs and they've told me that a "Regional" Customer Affairs person will contact me on Monday.

I bought a cable through Amazon (Chinese? I don't know or care at this point) and it is currently charging my car perfectly fine. So I am 100% sure that the Nissan EVSE is the problem.

If you have already gotten any further with Nissan about this issue, I would love to know. I will update as more develops as well.
Academiguy wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:05 pm
Has anyone else had a defective Nissan-brand EVSE that came with the car?

I picked up a new, 2020 SV Plus about two weeks ago. I’ve been trickle-charging it using a third-party EVSE I got a few years ago with an earlier EV. Today I tried the Nissan EVSE, the one that came with the car, for the first time. It plugged into a NEMA 14-50 outlet and started charging but within a few seconds stopped. The ready (top) and fault (bottom) lights are solid and the charging light (middle) blinks...according to the documentation that came in the bag with the EVSE, that means it’s faulty and I should contact a dealer. The thing is brand new—I literally just unwrapped it and plugged it in for the first time! Has anyone also experienced this?

henrydehoja
Delivery Date: 12 Sep 2018
Leaf Number: 317129

Fri May 07, 2021 9:14 pm

lissahenry wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 8:55 am
I am having the same exact problem. 2020 Nissan Leaf picked up at the end of February. The EVSE charge cable works with the trickle adapter for 120V. HOWEVER, when we plug it in to our brand new, licensed-electrician-installed 240V outlet, it does not work. Same steady Green and Red light with the middle Orange light blinking. For this combo of lights, the instructions say "This trouble is caused by a malfunction of the EVSE internal circuits. Stop using the EVSE immediately and contact a Nissan dealer."
Out of curiosity, what voltage did the electrician measure at the outlet?
2018 Nissan Leaf S w/QC
Placed in action: 9/2018

Return to “EVSE / Charging Equipment and Networks”