olegmishyn
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu May 06, 2021 11:51 am
Delivery Date: 06 May 2021

Broken Nissan Leaf: T/M system malfunction

Thu May 06, 2021 11:55 am

Hi, 1 week ago got an error on the display: t/m system malfunction.

First, I had googled and have found info about the problem with 12v battery and I changed it, but this didn't help.
We tried to clean error using special laptop (and with leaf spy pro) - without any success.

Can't find any relevant information according to this problem (only forum posts about dead 12v battery).

For now car is on the autoservice for 3 days and it seems like they will return it to me with the same issue.

Maybe someone had the same issue and can help with advice where to find the problem?

THank you
Last edited by olegmishyn on Sat May 15, 2021 12:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

alozzy
Posts: 1970
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:25 pm
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact: Website

Re: Broken Nissan Leaf: T/M system malfunction

Thu May 06, 2021 2:10 pm

It's very likely the 12V battery (accumulator? Was that a Google translation?)

Did you fully charge the new 12V battery before having it installed in the LEAF?
Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

olegmishyn
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu May 06, 2021 11:51 am
Delivery Date: 06 May 2021

Re: Broken Nissan Leaf: T/M system malfunction

Thu May 06, 2021 10:37 pm

I set up a new 12 battery - but this didn't help

olegmishyn
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu May 06, 2021 11:51 am
Delivery Date: 06 May 2021

Re: Broken Nissan Leaf: T/M system malfunction

Thu May 06, 2021 10:45 pm

alozzy wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:10 pm
It's very likely the 12V battery (accumulator? Was that a Google translation?)

Did you fully charge the new 12V battery before having it installed in the LEAF?
I mean 12v battery.

We checked the battery voltage in the store before set up.

rpiotro
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:06 pm
Delivery Date: 22 Feb 2021
Leaf Number: 302146

Re: Broken Nissan Leaf: T/M system malfunction

Fri May 07, 2021 6:48 am

olegmishyn wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:45 pm
alozzy wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:10 pm
It's very likely the 12V battery (accumulator? Was that a Google translation?)

Did you fully charge the new 12V battery before having it installed in the LEAF?
I mean 12v battery.

We checked the battery voltage in the store before set up.
Under a load? That's all that matters. It may show 12V+ sitting on the shelf. How about after it was installed in the car? Do you have a voltmeter? A battery charger?
2020 Nissan Leaf SL+, 2012 Mercedes SLK 350, 2014 Infiniti Q50 Hybrid SOLD

Well, are you talkin' about what it is you know or just repeating what is was you heard --Grace Slick

jkline
Posts: 113
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 10:46 am
Delivery Date: 01 May 2016
Location: Eastern, WA

Re: Broken Nissan Leaf: T/M system malfunction

Mon May 10, 2021 11:43 am

I was having odd issues with my '12. I didn't want to just run out and get another battery, even though my load tester gave a questionable result.

So I hooked my old battery charger to the battery cables, put it on 12v-- and the problem went away. So, it was time for a new battery.

They don't make batteries like they used to it seems. My dad got one that was faulty from the get go.

estomax
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:23 pm
Delivery Date: 21 Jan 2017
Leaf Number: 424033
Location: Seattle

Re: Broken Nissan Leaf: T/M system malfunction

Mon May 10, 2021 1:35 pm

when you change the battery you may still need to reset faults in leafspy, get an obd2 dongle and leafspy if you havent yet before taking the car to a shop and paying money.
2013 Leaf SL
27k, 93% SoH 2/17 46k, 94% SoH 2/18
62k, 87% SoH 2/19 75k, 83% SoH 2/20
81k, 81% SoH 2/21

User avatar
Nubo
Posts: 6005
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:01 am
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2014
Location: Vallejo, CA

Re: Broken Nissan Leaf: T/M system malfunction

Mon May 10, 2021 5:37 pm

alozzy wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:10 pm
...(accumulator? Was that a Google translation?) ...
An old term for rechargeable battery, from back in the telegraph to early automotive days.

I imagine it's still referred to that way in some places or languages. It's an accurate description.
I noticed you're still working with polymers.

LeftieBiker
Moderator
Posts: 17081
Joined: Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am
Delivery Date: 30 Apr 2018
Location: Upstate New York, US

Re: Broken Nissan Leaf: T/M system malfunction

Mon May 10, 2021 6:20 pm

I know it from Fifties science fiction. It also refers to a hydraulic device.
Brilliant Silver 2021 Leaf SV40 W/ Pro Pilot & Protection
2009 Vectrix VX-1 W/18 Leaf modules, & 2 lithium E-bicycles.
BAFX OBDII Dongle
PLEASE don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

olegmishyn
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu May 06, 2021 11:51 am
Delivery Date: 06 May 2021

Re: Broken Nissan Leaf: T/M system malfunction

Sat May 15, 2021 12:28 am

rpiotro wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 6:48 am
olegmishyn wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:45 pm
alozzy wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:10 pm
It's very likely the 12V battery (accumulator? Was that a Google translation?)

Did you fully charge the new 12V battery before having it installed in the LEAF?
I mean 12v battery.

We checked the battery voltage in the store before set up.
Under a load? That's all that matters. It may show 12V+ sitting on the shelf. How about after it was installed in the car? Do you have a voltmeter? A battery charger?
yes, but this didn't help. Car is on autoservice for 14 days and they can't find the issue.

Any ideas?

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”