Hydrogen and FCEVs discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ford tried hydrogen combustion engines about 20 years ago, IIRC. And we were afraid that toxic used motor oil was a thing of the past! Kudos, Toyota, for never, ever being able to admit that you are wrong.

GRA said:
^^^ I believe I've seen at least one such and posted a link a while back, but I'll be damned if I remember the source. Mostly it's been for individual components/areas. And of course, at the moment so much of the major cost reductions are projections rather than current costs and proprietary info isn't widely available, so high accuracy of overall costs at this point is not to be expected. I'll see if I can dig up something along the lines you want, but make no promises. In the meantime, you might check out this 2011 NREL cost analysis tool: https://www.nrel.gov/hydrogen/production-cost-analysis.html

and the system analysis link: https://www.nrel.gov/hydrogen/systems-analysis.html

The latter includes links to a variety of reports, although the most recent is from 2018.

Looked into several of the papers and presentations - most between 6 and 12 years old. Likely economics look a little better now with electrolyser improvements. I could not find any analysis of a stand-alone, totally renewable based project. As the amount of electricity is so high for production of dense phase hydrogen, using grid energy (IMO) as some predicted price/kWh is not realistic for mass adoption of the technology. Building a wind/solar plant specifically matched to the H2 production requirements might be quite an eye-opener as the on-stream factors and resultant size of the entire H2 production/compression/storage must match the highly variable renewables generation capabilities - without some significant energy storage (would be batteries or recycle low pressure H2 as turbine fuel?). My guess is that this dog chasing it's tail will show to be very costly - especially if life-cycle of all systems involved are carefully analyzed. If Matt Mccall's prediction of solid-state batteries come to fruition, all this will be mute :mrgreen: (Not holding my breath!)

Marktm said:
Looked into several of the papers and presentations - most between 6 and 12 years old. Likely economics look a little better now with electrolyser improvements. I could not find any analysis of a stand-alone, totally renewable based project. As the amount of electricity is so high for production of dense phase hydrogen, using grid energy (IMO) as some predicted price/kWh is not realistic for mass adoption of the technology. Building a wind/solar plant specifically matched to the H2 production requirements might be quite an eye-opener as the on-stream factors and resultant size of the entire H2 production/compression/storage must match the highly variable renewables generation capabilities - without some significant energy storage (would be batteries or recycle low pressure H2 as turbine fuel?). My guess is that this dog chasing it's tail will show to be very costly - especially if life-cycle of all systems involved are carefully analyzed. If Matt Mccall's prediction of solid-state batteries come to fruition, all this will be mute :mrgreen: (Not holding my breath!)

Several of the articles on projects I've provided links to here are stand-alone.
The IRENA paper I mentioned said that one of the methods that will be used to deal with intermittency is modular electrolysers, bringing them on or taking them off-line as needed. I have no doubt they'll also make use of storage, - see below.

Renewable energy costs in good areas have gotten so low, at or below $0.02/kWh, that it doesn't seem to be a major issue. IIRR, Portuguese PV set a record last year at $13.1/MWh, i.e. 13.1¢/kWh. That's why countries like Chile, with excellent solar resources in the north (e g Atacama desert) and excellent wind approaching 50% CF in the south (Patagonia), as well as small populations, are looking to become major H2 exporters. Same goes for Australia.

The next most costly item is the electrolysers, and improvements in efficiency as well as increases in the operating hours and lifespan are expected to make green H2 competitive with fossil-fuels. I was kind of surprised at the relatively low operating hours now, but the amount required to make H2 cost-competitive is fairly low, only about 4,000 hours annually IIRR, an increase of about 1,000 hours annually.

The IRENA report says that aside from the electrolyser(s) there's
the balance of plant, which comprises power supply, water supply and purification, compression, possibly electricity and hydrogen buffers and hydrogen processing. Both components are important for the cost, since they have similar cost shares. The largest potential for near-term cost reduction is in this balance of plant, while RD&D is required to reduce stack cost and increase its performance and durability, as trade-offs among these are significant.

The flexibility of alkaline and PEM stacks is enough to follow fluctuations in wind and solar. The flexibility of the system is limited, however, by the balance of plant (e.g. the compressors) rather than the stack. Furthermore, flexibility in the very short term time scales involved (I e. sub-second) is not the key value proposition for electrolysers, as their key value system lies in bulk energy storage. This effectively decouples variability of generation from stability of hydrogen and power to X (PtX) demand through hydrogen storage in gas infrastructure (e.g. salt caverns, pipelines) and liquid e-fuels storage."

Page 26, if you're interested.

Snam and Wolftank launch collaboration for the construction of hydrogen refueling stations in Italy

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/04/20210424-snam.html

Snam4Mobility, a Snam Group company active in sustainable mobility, and Wolftank Hydrogen, a company of the Austrian Group Wolftank-Adisa dedicated to hydrogen and renewable energy production and distribution plants, have started a collaboration aimed at boosting hydrogen mobility through the construction of refueling stations for cars, buses and trucks.

Following the signing of a memorandum of understanding, the two companies are evaluating infrastructure initiatives to enable the use of hydrogen in the transport sector in Italy and potentially in other countries. The first initiative is a joint expression of interest in response to the consultation of the Institute for Technological Innovations (IIT) in Bolzano for the construction of new refueling stations along the Brenner Motorway (A22). . . .

Currently, there is only one public refueling station for hydrogen vehicles in Italy, in Bolzano, which was built in 2012 with the support of the H2 Platform companies, including Wolftank. . . .

[Snam's] strategic plan includes the construction of at least five hydrogen refueling stations by 2024.

Wolftank Hydrogen anticipates strong growth in the market for hydrogen refueling stations in Europe and worldwide, as several countries and states outside Europe, such as Japan, China and California, each plan to have one million Fuel Cell Electric Vehicles (FCEV) on the road by 2030, with the associated need for manufacturing and logistics infrastructure. . . .

Wolftank Hydrogen and Snam4Mobility may possibly extend their collaboration to the neighboring markets of Germany, Austria and Switzerland.

OILPRICE.com:
Can Latin America Become The Middle East Of Hydrogen?

https://oilprice-com.cdn.ampproject...erica-Become-The-Middle-East-Of-Hydrogen.html

As oil majors around the world solidify their positions in the hydrogen industry, the IEA has highlighted Latin America as a clear area of opportunity for the production of what many expect to be the energy source of the future. “Latin America could become a key contributor to the global push towards low?carbon hydrogen”, the IEA stated in a 2020 report.

Hydrogen fuel is forming part of the long-term global energy transition as Big Oil strives to decarbonize its energy production over the next decades. Hydrogen provides a carbon-free base for synthetic fuels to power transportation and manufacturing, making it an ideal energy source. . . .

Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and Colombia have all released strategies to develop their hydrogen industries, all expecting to become low-carbon hydrogen exporters in the coming years. Mexico, Paraguay, and Uruguay are also looking to use hydrogen energy to decarbonize industry and transportation, but have yet to establish political strategies to develop the sector. . . .

GRA said:
Renewable energy costs in good areas have gotten so low, at or below $0.02/kWh, that it doesn't seem to be a major issue. IIRR, Portuguese PV set a record last year at $1.31/MWh, i.e. 1.31¢/kWh. That's why countries like Chile, with excellent solar resources in the north (e g Atacama desert) and excellent wind approaching 50% CF in the south (Patagonia), as well as small populations, are looking to become major H2 exporters. Same goes for Australia.

Unless I am missing something, $1.31/MWh is actually 0.131¢/kWh which would be incredible. No wonder they want to export hydrogen. The problem is, where do they get water in the Atacama desert, one of the driest places on earth? I hope they intend to transmit the electricity to somewhere wetter, or they will absolutely annihilate an already fragile environment.

GetOffYourGas said:
GRA said:
Renewable energy costs in good areas have gotten so low, at or below $0.02/kWh, that it doesn't seem to be a major issue. IIRR, Portuguese PV set a record last year at $1.31/MWh, i.e. 1.31¢/kWh. That's why countries like Chile, with excellent solar resources in the north (e g Atacama desert) and excellent wind approaching 50% CF in the south (Patagonia), as well as small populations, are looking to become major H2 exporters. Same goes for Australia.

Unless I am missing something, $1.31/MWh is actually 0.131¢/kWh which would be incredible. No wonder they want to export hydrogen. The problem is, where do they get water in the Atacama desert, one of the driest places on earth? I hope they intend to transmit the electricity to somewhere wetter, or they will absolutely annihilate an already fragile environment.

Good catch. Typo now fixed: $13.1/MWh. I imagine Chile will send the power to the coast from inland deserts and do desalination as well, if desired or needed.

GRA said:
GetOffYourGas said:
GRA said:

Good catch. Typo now fixed: $13.1/MWh. I imagine Chile will send the power to the coast from inkqne deserts and do desalination as well, if desired or needed.

Ah, so it really was 1.31¢/kWh. I was hoping it was 0.131¢/kWh. Who knows, it may get there eventually!

Chile seems like a great place for this to work out. The atacama desert isn't that far from the ocean, you just have to get over those pesky Andes. But we have the technology to do so inexpensively today. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

GetOffYourGas said:
GRA said:
Good catch. Typo now fixed: $13.1/MWh. I imagine Chile will send the power to the coast from inkqne deserts and do desalination as well, if desired or needed.

Ah, so it really was 1.31¢/kWh. I was hoping it was 0.131¢/kWh. Who knows, it may get there eventually!

Chile seems like a great place for this to work out. The atacama desert isn't that far from the ocean, you just have to get over those pesky Andes. But we have the technology to do so inexpensively today. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

The Atacama is west of the Andes, so no worries on that score.

All GCC:
Raven SR & Hyzon Motors to build up to 100 waste-to-hydrogen hubs

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/04/20210428-raven.html

Raven SR, a renewable fuels company, and Hyzon Motors Inc., a global supplier of hydrogen fuel cell-powered commercial vehicles, announced a joint venture to build up to 100 hydrogen hubs across the United States and globally. As part of the agreement, Hyzon is acquiring a minority interest in Raven SR.

The first hubs will be built in the San Francisco Bay Area and are expected to be commissioned in 2022; Hyzon and Raven will then expand into the rest of the US and globally. At the hubs, which can be built at or near landfills, Raven SR will convert mixed and multiple organic wastes, including municipal solid waste, greenwaste, food waste, medical, paper, etc. into locally produced, renewable hydrogen for Hyzon’s fleet of zero-emission commercial vehicles.

Raven SR’s patented, Steam/CO2 Reformation process enables it to be one of the only combustion-free, waste-to-hydrogen processes in the world. . . .

Each hub will house a Raven SR production unit that is approximately the size of two semi-truck trailers. The initial hubs are expected to process 50 tons of solid waste per day, which will yield up to 4.5 tons of renewable green hydrogen, enough to power 100 heavy-duty commercial vehicles.

Future hubs can scale to be three times larger to accommodate sites with larger hydrogen requirements. In California, it is expected that the projects will have a carbon emissions profile that will generate high LCFS credits, allowing Hyzon to operate vehicles at very competitive prices.

As more hydrogen hubs are built across the country and internationally, Hyzon will provide their customers with a complete zero-emission mobility solution—from hydrogen-powered vehicles to on-site or locally produced low cost clean-hydrogen.

Hyzon aims to be one of the first companies to supply our customers with a hydrogen fuel cell truck, including our own garbage trucks, at total cost of ownership (TCO) parity with diesel-powered commercial vehicles. . . .

I'll be interested to see where in the Bay Area they build the first one. My local waste/sewer utility already uses landfill methane and PV to power the water treatment plant, so maybe it'll be them.

SoCalGas & California Energy Commission funding project to test hydrogen fuel cell technology for harbor craft; led by ZEI

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/04/20210428-zei.html

The California Energy Commission is awarding $2 million (GFO-20-604, Hydrogen Fuel Cell Demonstrations in Rail and Marine Applications at Ports (H2RAM)) and Southern California Gas Co. (SoCalGas) will provide $200,000 in funding to support a project developing a hydrogen fuel cell solution to power harbor craft vessels.

The Small Fast Harbor Craft Project, led by Zero Emission Industries’ (ZEI) (formerly Golden Gate Zero Emission Marine) will test a commercial marine vessel modified to incorporate a hydrogen fuel cell powertrain. The powertrain consists of a state-of-the-art hydrogen storage system, automotive-style fuel cell power system, safety system, control and automation system allowing for a powertrain with increased range, simple maintenance, and no emissions. Supported boat speeds range from a few knots to more than 50 knots. . . .

The boat will be fueled with hydrogen through mobile, portable systems developed by ZEI for marine vessel fueling. These portable fueling systems will be built as part of the project, using hydrogen sourced from California’s retail hydrogen stations. The project will demonstrate the vessel for six months, split between the San Francisco Bay and Long Beach.

The Port of San Francisco, Red and White Fleet, Port of Long Beach and Harbor Breeze Cruises will assist in testing the technology. . . .

GRA said:
GetOffYourGas said:
GRA said:

The Atacama is west of the Andes, so no worries on that score.

So it is. There I go with my northern hemisphere thinking. I guess the prevailing winds in Chile are from the east, making the lee of the mountains to the west.

GetOffYourGas said:
So it is. There I go with my northern hemisphere thinking. I guess the prevailing winds in Chile are from the east, making the lee of the mountains to the west.

I suspect it has more to do with the Atacama's latitude than N. vs. S., as it sits just south of the Tropic of Capricorn, which would put it in the latitude band of the (SE) trade winds. At least, that's what my limited memory of Hadley Cells from Physical Geography classes a looong time ago is telling me should be the case. 🤔 In southern Chile the prevailing winds should be westerly (onshore). The map here seems to confirm it: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevailing_winds

All GCC:
Carbon Clean and Liquid Wind partner on eMethanol production for marine fuel

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/04/20210429-emethanol.html

Carbon Clean, a developer of low-cost carbon capture technology, has entered into an agreement with power-to-fuels developer Liquid Wind. Carbon Clean’s technology will capture biogenic carbon dioxide emissions from a local industrial site. Within the Liquid Wind facility, the CO2 will then be combined with renewable hydrogen to form the carbon-neutral liquid fuel, eMethanol. . . .

The initial project will be built in Örnsköldsvik, on the north east coast of Sweden. Once operational from early 2024, the fuel facility will upcycle 70,000 tonnes of CO2 into 50,000 tonnes of carbon-0neutral eMethanol a year. By replacing fossil fuels, the eMethanol will prevent 100,000 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions per year.

The partnership has ambitions for future sites. Liquid Wind is developing eMethanol facilities to meet the growing demand for liquid renewable fuel and is targeting 500 operational sites globally by 2050. Alongside Carbon Clean, the project has support from a consortium including Haldor Topsoe, Siemens Energy and Alfa Laval, amongst others. All parties share a common focus on cost-efficiency to ensure the production of commercially viable carbon-neutral fuel.

Ricardo advances hydrogen engine; testing prototype at University of Brighton

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/04/20210429-ricardo.html

Ricardo has developed a hydrogen-fueled research engine which could offer a renewable, economic and durable technology solution to accelerate zero-carbon emissions in heavy duty trucks, off-highway machines and marine vessels. Ricardo will be testing the prototype at the engine development facility at the University of Brighton—the company’s long-term combustion engine research partner.

Drawing on the company’s proven track record in engine development, and hydrogen technology integration, the test program will evaluate the performance, efficiency and emissions of the engine to assess its feasibility as a future multi-cylinder engine which could be taken into production for Ricardo’s global customers. . . .

In a November 2020 webinar on developing heavy-duty hydrogen powertrains for 2025 and beyond, Ricardo engineers proposed that hydrogen-fueled combustion engines could be complimentary to fuel cell powertrains in some applications. Although fuel cell systems have the edge in efficiency, emissions and noise, combustion engines are lower cost, stable and well understood, tolerant to fuel contaminants, robust to small particles, durable and can more easily manage high-grade heat.

Ricardo suggested that current heavy-duty diesel engines could be converted to hydrogen for early-to-market products, while an optimized version could follow later with ramp-up. . . .

Ricardo is a supporter of the UK Hydrogen Strategy Now campaign—a group of leading UK businesses which have together committed to invest £3bn into hydrogen projects and are calling on the Chancellor of the Exchequer for a UK-wide hydrogen strategy.

Ricardo is also a founder member of Hydrogen Sussex, an energy group comprising members from local authorities, academia, industry, transport and utilities committed to transforming the south coast of England into a national hub for green transport and energy.

All GCC:
Daimler Truck AG and Volvo Group launch new joint venture cellcentric for heavy-duty fuel cell systems
my

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/04/20210430-cellcentric.html

. . . With the ambition of becoming a leading global manufacturer of fuel-cell systems, cellcentric will build one of Europe’s largest planned series production of fuel-cell systems, with operation planned to commence in 2025. To accelerate the rollout of hydrogen-based fuel-cells, the two cellcentric shareholders call for a harmonized EU hydrogen policy framework to support the technology in becoming a viable commercial solution. . . .

According to Daimler Truck AG and Volvo Group, purely battery-electric and hydrogen-based fuel-cell trucks will complement each other depending on the individual customer use case. Battery power will be rather used for lower cargo weights and for shorter distances, while fuel-cell power will tend to be the preferred option for heavier loads and longer distances. . . .

The major truck manufacturers in Europe, also backed by Daimler Truck AG and Volvo Group, are calling for the setup of around 300 high-performance hydrogen refueling stations suitable for heavy-duty vehicles by 2025 and of around 1,000 hydrogen refueling stations no later than 2030 in Europe. This joint initiative, using hydrogen as a carrier of green electricity to power electric trucks in long-haul operations, is one important part of decarbonizing road transport.

As CO2-neutral trucks are currently significantly more expensive than conventional vehicles, a policy framework is needed to ensure demand and affordability. According to Daimler Truck AG and Volvo Group, this should include incentives for CO2-neutral technologies and a taxation system based on carbon and energy content. An emissions trading system could be an additional option.

Currently, cellcentric is conceptualizing the plans for its large-scale series production. More details and a decision on the location will be revealed over the course of 2022. As a significant step towards series production, preparations for pre-series production are taking place at a new site in Esslingen near Stuttgart. In parallel, cellcentric is scaling up on-going prototype output.

Daimler Truck AG’s and Volvo Group’s goal is to start with customer tests of fuel-cell trucks in about three years and to be in series production of fuel-cell trucks during the second half of this decade. . . .

Hyzon Motors, NEOM and Modern Group to collaborate on development of assembly facility for hydrogen-powered vehicles; up to 10,000 pa

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/04/20210430-hyzon.html

Hyzon Motors, a supplier of hydrogen-fuel-cell-powered commercial vehicles, jointly with Modern Industrial Investment Holding Group (“Modern Group”), a Saudi industrial conglomerate, announced the signing of a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with NEOM Company on a hydrogen vehicle value chain, including a demonstration fleet and assembly facility with annual capacity of up to 10,000 vehicles. NEOM is a $500-billion giga-project in northwest Saudi Arabia on the Red Sea.

Following this announcement, Hyzon expects to have its zero-emission hydrogen-powered vehicles/operations on four continents this year.

NEOM is committed to becoming
becoming fully sustainable, powering itself through the use of 100% renewable energy and with net zero emissions by 2030. A green hydrogen ecosystem will play a role both for the export of renewable energy and for net-zero carbon technologies for power and transportation in NEOM.

Various global corporations have already committed to invest more than $5 billion to produce green hydrogen in NEOM in the world’s largest hydrogen production plant. It is expected NEOM will become an area with one of the highest concentrations of green hydrogen production and investment in the world. . . .

NEOM is part of the diversified portfolio of Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund, one of the largest sovereign wealth funds in the world. . . .

Shchekinoazot and Haldor Topsoe to cooperate on blue and green methanol, ammonia, and hydrogen and CO2 reduction

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/04/20210430-topsoe.html

All GCC:
Ballard and Linamar form strategic alliance to develop fuel cell solutions for light-duty vehicles

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/05/20210504-ballard.html

Ballard Power Systems and Linamar Corporation have entered a strategic alliance for the co-development and sale of fuel cell powertrains and components for class 1 and 2 vehicles, weighing up to 5-tons, initially in North America and Europe.

In the initial phase of work under a Framework Agreement, a fuel cell powertrain solution will be developed, with Ballard providing the fuel cell subsystem and Linamar providing the rolling chassis, tanks, enclosures, cradles and other balance of plant needs as well as final assembly.

Following successful testing of the demonstration platform, Ballard and Linamar contemplate the formation of a joint venture to sell and support powertrains with fuel cell systems and an interchangeable rolling chassis for use in a range of light-duty class 1 and 2 vehicles, including passenger cars, SUVs, light trucks and commercial vans. . . .

BMW Landshut producing fuel cell drive components for small-series BMW i Hydrogen NEXT in 2022

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/05/20210504-landshut.html

The
BMW Group will pilot a small series of the BMW i Hydrogen NEXT fuel cell vehicle from 2022, based on the current BMW X5 and equipped with a hydrogen fuel cell e-drive. The BMW Group is building on its experience with fifth-generation e-drives to develop this vehicle. . . .

The fuel cell system of the BMW i Hydrogen NEXT is continuously fed with hydrogen from CFRP tanks and generates up to 125 kW of electrical power for the electric motor mounted on the rear axle. Two 700-bar tanks, which together hold six kilograms of hydrogen, provide extensive range in all weather conditions and can be refilled in just three to four minutes.

The electric motor in the BMW i Hydrogen NEXT is the same highly-integrated fifth-generation e-drive used for the first time in the BMW iX3. The high-voltage battery that sits above the e-drive serves as a performance buffer and provides additional dynamics for acceleration. The drive train system delivers a total output of 275 kW (374 hp). . . .

Lots of articles, so titles and urls only.

All GCC:
PowerCell Sweden and Hitachi ABB Power Grids deepen collaboration within stationary power solutions

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/05/20210507-powercell.html

Bloom Energy and Baker Hughes to collaborate on efficient power and hydrogen solutions

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/05/20210507-bloom.html

Cummins and KBR to collaborate on integrated green ammonia solutions

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/05/20210507-kbr.html

Technip Energies launches suite of blue hydrogen production technologies

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/05/20210507-technip.html

DOE awards FuelCell Energy additional $8M for Phase 2 ARPA-E project with differentiated solid oxide platform

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/05/20210507-fce.html

ClassNK issues AiP for cargo containment system for Kawasaki large liquefied hydrogen carrier; highest carrying capacity

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/05/20210509-classnk.html

Plug Power and BAE Systems enter strategic partnership on hydrogen fuel cell buses

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/05/20210510-ppbae.html

All GCC:
thyssenkrupp Steel, HKM and Port of Rotterdam jointly investigate setting up hydrogen supply chains

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/05/20210510-rotterdam.html

German steel companies thyssenkrupp Steel and HKM and the Port of Rotterdam will jointly investigate setting up international supply chains for hydrogen. In the course of their transformation paths towards climate-neutral steel making, thyssenkrupp Steel and HKM will require large and increasing quantities of hydrogen to produce steel without coal.

For decades, both companies have been importing coal, iron ore and other raw materials via their own terminal in Rotterdam, using inland barges as well as rail to transport it to their blast furnaces in Duisburg.

Together, the partners will explore hydrogen import opportunities via Rotterdam as well as a possible pipeline corridor between Rotterdam and thyssenkrupp Steel’s and HKM’s steel sites in Duisburg. The partnership may serve as a framework for additional initiatives and aims at supporting existing initiatives and projects in which the partners are involved. . . .

MOL Group and Mitsui E&S Machinery commence joint study to introduce hydrogen fuel cell yard crane

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/05/20210510-mol.html

Mitsui O.S.K. Lines, Ltd. (MOL) and Mitsui E&S Machinery, Ltd. will begin a joint study to introduce hydrogen-fueled port cargo handling machines. As part of this agreement, MOL’s group company Shosen Koun Co., Ltd. has signed a contract for a new near zero emission (NZE) rubber-tired gantry (RTG) container yard crane and will introduce it at the MOL-operated Kobe International Container Terminal (KICT).

Mitsui E&S has developed a diesel hybrid RTG with a smaller diesel engine and larger battery storage; this NZE Transtainer improves fuel efficiency by 20 to 30% compared to the conventional Hybrid Transtainer.

The company is seeking to replace the NZE Transtainer diesel genset with a hydrogen fuel cell power supply in the future. The company is currently developing the fuel cell system and plans to introduce the fuel cell Transtainer around end of May 2022 at KICT. . . .

All GCC:
ENEOS and Toyota to develop hydrogen use in Woven City

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/05/20210511-toyota.html

ENEOS Corporation and Toyota Motor Corporation have agreed on a new partnership to explore the utilization and application of hydrogen energy at Woven City, the prototype city of the future that Toyota has started to develop in Susono City, Shizuoka Prefecture.

ENEOS and Toyota, together with Woven Planet Holdings, a subsidiary of Toyota, leading the Woven City project, intend to conduct testing and demonstration in areas related to a hydrogen-based supply chain, from production, delivery to usage of hydrogen, in and around Woven City. Through this effort, they aim to help achieve a carbon-neutral society by 2050 as Japan and many other countries around the world have committed.

ENEOS is a leading company in the hydrogen business, operating 45 commercial hydrogen refueling stations in the four major metropolitan areas in Japan. In anticipation of a fully hydrogen mass-consumption society and to promote the overall low-carbon use of energy, ENEOS is also developing technologies that facilitate hydrogen production and building an entire supply chain based on CO2-free hydrogen. . . .

Woven Planet is responsible for the planning of Woven City with Toyota and the following four areas are to be explored by the companies through this collaboration.

ENEOS to establish and operate a hydrogen refueling station in close proximity to Woven City.

ENEOS to produce green hydrogen—hydrogen derived from renewable energy—at the station and to supply Woven City using stationary fuel cell generators to be installed within the city by Toyota.

Promote the use of hydrogen-powered fuel cell mobility for logistics in and nearby Woven City. Validate a base unit of hydrogen demand for those mobility logistics as well as build a supply and demand management system.

Conduct joint advanced research on hydrogen supply at the demonstration hub to be established within Woven City.

MAHLE Powertrain developing demonstrator vehicle for Bramble Energy PCBFC fuel cell technology

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/05/20210511-mahle.html

MAHLE Powertrain is developing the first demonstrator vehicle for a novel new hydrogen fuel cell technology. As integration partner to hydrogen fuel cell specialist Bramble Energy (earlier post), MAHLE Powertrain is helping to optimize the integration of the company’s Printed Circuit Board Fuel Cell (PCBFC) technology within the powertrain of a Renault Kangoo ZE.

The vehicle, which will be unveiled later this year, will showcase the reduced-cost, high performance potential of high power density liquid cooled fuel cells. . . .

All GCC:
Mitsubishi Power & Texas Brine partner on large-scale salt cavern storage for hydrogen to support decarbonization efforts in the eastern US

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/05/20210513-texasbrine.html

Mitsubishi Power Americas and Texas Brine Company are collaborating to develop large-scale long-duration hydrogen storage solutions to support decarbonization efforts across the eastern United States. Long-duration hydrogen storage is a key enabling technology for the transition to a net zero carbon energy future.

This collaboration expands Mitsubishi Power’s capability to store hydrogen safely and cost effectively in salt caverns in strategic locations across North America. The nation’s largest brine producer, Texas Brine, and its affiliates have salt positions in New York, Virginia, Texas and Louisiana that will enable access to major load centers in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and the Gulf Coast. . . .

caverns for decades in the US Gulf Coast. Expanding the use of salt caverns for hydrogen energy storage in other regions offers a significant opportunity to create an infrastructure for clean energy resources throughout the US to benefit industries such as power, transportation and manufacturing that are targeting net zero carbon emissions.

Fusion Fuel Green partners with CCC to develop green hydrogen demonstrator plants in Middle East

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/05/20210513-fusionfuel.html

. . . CCC and Fusion Fuel have agreed to cooperate on projects involving the production of green hydrogen for potential clients in the refining and petrochemical industries in order to reduce their carbon footprint.

The companies plan to develop demonstrator plants in several countries in the region, namely Oman, Kuwait, and Qatar. . . .

HEVO is Fusion-Fuel’s proprietary miniaturized PEM electrolyzer. It has been specifically designed to be small, lightweight and possible to be mass produced. Its simplicity allows it to be versatile in its use. It can be combined with a high-efficiency solar cell and attached to a specifically designed concentrated photovoltaic solar panel. . . .

The announcement of this partnership came shortly after Fusion Fuel reached a collaboration agreement with the Elecnor Group for the development of green hydrogen projects in Spain using Fusion Fuel’s HEVO-SOLAR technology.

HEVO-SOLAR combines more than one hundred of Fusion-Fuel’s HEVO electrolyzers with a specially-designed high efficiency concentrated photovoltaic (CPV) solar module to make optimal use of both the electrical and thermal energy from the sun. . . .

Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction partners with RevoTech on production of hydrogen from waste plastic

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/05/20210513-doosan.html

. . . RevoTech will be applying its continuous pyrolysis technology to convert waste plastic into gas, while Doosan will be developing the main equipment and processes for reforming the product gas into hydrogen. The continuous pyrolysis technology is achieved through the continuous input of raw materials which in turn enables continuous production, leading to greater ease in expanding the scale of processing and securing economic feasibility.

The pyrolysis of waste plastic refers to the thermal degradation of plastic, which involves high molecular weight hydrocarbons being broken down into smaller molecules at high temperatures to produce valuable byproducts in the forms of gas or liquid.

Doosan is working on developing a hydrogen reformer that has the capacity to produce 0.3 tons of hydrogen per day by 2021 and plans to have this installed for operation at RevoTech, which is located in Mungyeong of North Gyeongsang Province. A demonstration will be carried out thereafter, before commercially launching the technology for producing more than 3 tons of hydrogen per day from waste plastic. . . .

Port of Corpus Christi, Ares Management sign memorandum of understanding for green hydrogen production, renewable energy generation

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2021/05/20210512-pcc.html

The Port of Corpus Christi Authority has entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with funds managed by the Infrastructure and Power strategy of Ares Management Corporation with the intention of developing renewable energy infrastructure on Port-owned property to support the production of green hydrogen and optionally to provide renewable power directly to the port and its customers.

The MOU outlines preliminary provisions for a renewable energy and clean fuel hub that will consist of solar facilities, battery storage facilities and electrolyzer facilities to be located on Port-owned property. The first set of facilities will be made up of an up to ~210MW solar project and an up to 840MWh battery storage facility, which will be capable of powering an electrolyzer facility to produce ~9,000 MT of green hydrogen per year, with the possibility of expanding the facilities over time, including the possibility of providing renewable power directly to the port’s operations. . . .

Back