New 2020 Leaf SV 40kwh with Technology & All-Weather

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When filing taxes you complete a form 8936. That form requires you enter Year, Make, Model , VIN # and purchase date. As long as that VIN has never been associated with a previous tax credit it should not be an issue,

They and other select dealers have been selling these Manufacture owned, never previously titled cars cars for over a year that I know of.

These cars are purchased by the dealer from closed auctions only open only to qualified NISSAN dealers.

BTW, I’ve claimed the $7,500 tax credit 4 times now.

tg4mUTUl.jpg

Flyct said:
LeftieBiker said:
You mean the VPS for Reverse and Forward? Technically, those can be disabled without dealer help

Someone else here checked it and it didn't work for them, either. I'm thinking early and late revision software on the recirculate issue - with the later version being the bad one. There was a thread here a while back about someone not being able to turn off the weird sonar-like reverse VSP. We don't care enough about it to try.

I can confirm that Forward VSP can be disabled with LeafSpy Pro on a late model 2020 SL+. Initially I thought it wasn’t capable but realized I had the lite version of LeafSpy loaded by mistake. Once I loaded the Pro version the VSP modification selection was active.

I’ll check for the recirculate issue later today and report back.

I verified that on my late model 2020 SL+ I cannot engage recalculate if the defroster is selected. Recirculate deselects itself and will not be selected again.

Do these only work on the 2020 models, but not the 2019 or 2018 Gen 2 models? Re-circulate works with defrost + floor I believe. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85wt1llB3k0

It's been a while now, and I'll have to play with the 2020 again when I get it out. That temp display in the mode icon doesn't look at all familiar to me - it isn't there in the 2018 and I don't recall seeing it in the 2020. What I'm not sure of now is if it's partial (aka "Auto") recirculate only that was unavailable in Floor + Defrost. I think that was the case, and I didn't see you try that in the video. That's the mode here you hold in the Recirculate button while Recirculate is on, until it flashes and then gives you a mix of fresh and recirculated air.

LeftieBiker said:
It's been a while now, and I'll have to play with the 2020 again when I get it out. That temp display in the mode icon doesn't look at all familiar to me - it isn't there in the 2018 and I don't recall seeing it in the 2020. What I'm not sure of now is if it's partial (aka "Auto") recirculate only that was unavailable in Floor + Defrost. I think that was the case, and I didn't see you try that in the video. That's the mode here you hold in the Recirculate button while Recirculate is on, until it flashes and then gives you a mix of fresh and recirculated air.

Darn, I did forget that! Rather than make another video (I can tomorrow and just replace the current video), I just went out and did a quick test. It appears that holding in the button to make it flash and switch to partial mode still works with any mode that can do recirculate, including Floor + Defrost. :D

Flyct said:
When filing taxes you complete a form 8936. That form requires you enter Year, Make, Model , VIN # and purchase date. As long as that VIN has never been associated with a previous tax credit it should not be an issue,

They and other select dealers have been selling these Manufacture owned, never previously titled cars cars for over a year that I know of.

These cars are purchased by the dealer from closed auctions only open only to qualified NISSAN dealers.

BTW, I’ve claimed the $7,500 tax credit 4 times now.

tg4mUTUl.jpg

Update

I filed my taxes electronically mid February this year on the first day the IRS was accepting returns. It took 10 weeks for return to be processed, and a refund issued. As I stated this was the 4th time I filed for a $7,500 credit. So far Uncle Sam contributed $30,000 towards new Nissan Leafs for me.

knightmb said:
You would basically just want to skip the tax withholding for the year to pocket the extra cash and hope you rack up enough for the $7500 to eat into it for tax time next year.
Tax withholdings do not affect the $7,500 tax credit eligibility

SageBrush said:
knightmb said:
You would basically just want to skip the tax withholding for the year to pocket the extra cash and hope you rack up enough for the $7500 to eat into it for tax time next year.
Correct, you can increase your liability by doing things like not adding to your 401k that year but changing withholding will have no effect on your liability. I'm no tax expert but is there anything that can be easily be done to temporarily increase liability for a year to take full advantage of the credit?

EV Tax Credits are non-refundable tax credits that come from buying a vehicle with a battery propulsion system that can draws power from an external power source. The credits are available for both pure electric vehicles and plug in hybrids. The credits earned depend on a variety of factors and are used to decrease taxes you owed in a given year. For instance, if you bought an EV eligible for a $7500 tax credit and your total federal taxes for the year came to $8500, you would owe only $1000 to the government.

I can't remember what it was back in 2013, I think you needed have over $47,000 per person to get the full $7,500. It is easy to inflate your income with the IRS *legally* and produce more tax liability, but the IRS doesn't require anyone to reduce tax liability to owe less since there is an nearly unlimited number of loopholes to do that and one can't know all of them. The point I was making, if you earn less than the maximum needed, you could basically zero out your withholding (keeping the money basically) and inflating your income; come tax time legally. Basically, you get the full $7500 without having to make the income level that would technically support it. Basically another accounting loophole.

jjeff said:
SageBrush said:
knightmb said:
Correct, you can increase your liability by doing things like not adding to your 401k that year but changing withholding will have no effect on your liability. I'm no tax expert but is there anything that can be easily be done to temporarily increase liability for a year to take full advantage of the credit?

Sure. Work more ;)
Joking aside, increase your taxable income however you want. Perhaps save in Roth instead of IRA ?

This all gets more tricky if you pay for Obamacare.

knightmb said:
The point I was making, if you earn less than the maximum needed, you could basically zero out your withholding (keeping the money basically) and inflating your income come tax time legally. Basically, you get the full $7500 without having to make the income level that would technically support it. Basically another accounting loophole.
Same assertion, still wrong.

You are confusing tax liability after other tax credits, with tax owed.** The latter is affected by pre-payments but tax liability is not. Prior to considering the EV tax credit, if you tax liability (line 16 on Form 1040) is $7,500, you get the full EV tax credit. Or put another way, the EV tax credit will reduce your tax liability by up to $7,500.

Example:
110k income
24k deductions
3k other tax credits
7.5 EV tax credit
5k tax pre-payments

Say the income tax liability on 86k is 10k (I'm just guessing)
That is reduced to 7k by the other 3k tax credits
The EV tax credit reduces your owed tax to 0k
Your pre-payments result in 5k returned to you.

You also appear to think that tax with-holding affects taxable income. It does not.

SageBrush said:
You also appear to think that tax with-holding affects taxable income. It does not.

That's why I hate taxes :lol:
I know it doesn't affect it, it only affects how much you pay to the government in the event that the amount of withholding was not enough to cover how much you owe. I was referring to keeping the money early instead of getting it back at tax time. That's all that trick does. :mrgreen:

If you made (for example), $47,000 in 2013 and the tax bracket said you owed $7,500 and you didn't pay any withholding that year and decided not to do any deductions (hypothetical of course), you would owe the IRS $7,500. The EV tax credit would apply to this and thus, you would owe the IRS $0. The problem was, if people didn't make enough income, they couldn't use the whole $7,500. So if you made $30k that year and only owed $5,000 (example) in tax, the credit would only pay the $5,000 and the IRS would NOT give you an extra $2,500 to make up the difference. The only reason I've encountered it so much was because of myself and friends/family that bought a new Leaf and had the same issue, not enough tax debt to use the whole credit. So the tax accountants had to get creative. :D

Back