Gen II End of Lease Options?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeftieBiker

Staff member
My three year lease is coming to an end. I just found out today, speaking with a not-very-great NMAC Rep, that I can request - next month - a 3 month extension until the Ariya's release date. In my case that's August 1st. Has anyone else looked into any end of lease offers, discounts, etc? I'm hoping I can do better than 3 months and no perks.

Unless Ariya belly flops, I doubt it'll be very cheap to lease or buy, out of the gate.

And, if it's affected by the chip shortages and fab problems (e.g. fire at Renesas), supply might be tight too. Off the top of my head, I don't know if the Samsung and NXP fab problems in TX affect automotive.

My wild guess is that Nissan will put more of their energy on this towards Europe and CARB emission states, at first...

I will consider the Ariya, but that isn't necessarily my goal. If it's delayed then I get my lease extended further. I'm also looking into leasing a cheap Bolt or a Leaf S...

Used Bolts are real cheap now due to the recall, if you can drive one off the lot (mainly non-GM dealers). Will be interesting to see the prices once the final remedy is out esp. given that some people have gotten good buyback/trade to newer Bolt offers.

With my housemate now leasing (and I bet she'll keep) a loaded SV+, whatever I get will just be the second car, and I don't expect to driving more than a few more years, so a cheap lease makes more sense, unless they start selling used Bolts for $10k, anyway...

So, I ended up going with a zero down (1st payment, actually) $276 a month 4 year lease on a Brilliant Silver 2021 SV40 with Tech and Protection packages. I managed to leverage some equity out of the 2018 SL I'll be turning in*, and used that equity to get the 4 year payments lowered to be the same as the 3 year lease. Now I'll have an extra year to not deal with all this crap. I spent this evening getting the SL ready to turn in*, removing seat covers that didn't want to go on OR come off, and cleaning the car out, then loading in the OEM wheels and tires. I'm sad about all this, although I won't miss the leather upholstery. I may miss the white/grey interior. I'm hoping very much that I won't miss the Bose stereo. Since rain is now forecast for the rest of the week, I don't expect to drive the car again until I go to the dealership on Friday. <sigh>

* Technically, the dealership is buying the car from me, and paying off NMAC.

LeftieBiker said:
So, I ended up going with a zero down (1st payment, actually) $276 a month 4 year lease on a Brilliant Silver 2021 SV40 with Tech and Protection packages. I managed to leverage some equity out of the 2018 SL I'll be turning in*, and used that equity to get the 4 year payments lowered to be the same as the 3 year lease. Now I'll have an extra year to not deal with all this crap. I spent this evening getting the SL ready to turn in*, removing seat covers that didn't want to go on OR come off, and cleaning the car out, then loading in the OEM wheels and tires. I'm sad about all this, although I won't miss the leather upholstery. I may miss the white/grey interior. I'm hoping very much that I won't miss the Bose stereo. Since rain is now forecast for the rest of the week, I don't expect to drive the car again until I go to the dealership on Friday. <sigh>

* Technically, the dealership is buying the car from me, and paying off NMAC.

Are you going from a 40 kWh to 40 kWh on the battery 2018 vs 2021?

Yup. I've never had range anxiety with the 40kwh pack, and I prefer the way the Leafs with the 40 handle and accelerate. We have an SV+ for longer trips.

LeftieBiker said:
Yup. I've never had range anxiety with the 40kwh pack, and I prefer the way the Leaf with the 40 handle and accelerate. We have an SV+ for longer trips.

I hear ya, never had range anxiety with my 24 kWh 2013, my wife on the other hand freaks out when her Leaf range gets below 30 and it's only 1 more mile to the destination. My eyes roll around in my head like crazy! :roll:

My housemate once drove my 2013 SV to work and back, in Winter. I set the climate control to a nice low but not too low setting, to give her about a 30% cushion. She turned it off completely after leaving the house, returned with 35% left, and complained about range anxiety. She kept that line up for years: "I just don't think that a BEV is suited to this climate." Then, when her PIP got sick, she started driving my car for trips outside of town. I steered her to an SV+ with a 62kwh pack to be safe, but she stopped having range anxiety after just a couple of trips in my 40kwh SL. People say that 300 miles of range is the magic number to alleviate range anxiety, but I think that all that is required is twice as much range as you need - in her case, about 130 miles.

My wife and I have been taking more, and longer, trips in our Tesla Model 3 LR (300+ mile) range car. This is windy season. I've learned the hard way that the more we talk about the nuances of range, the less secure she feels. She wants reassurance and KISS (keep it simple, smarty), not DIY tools or a dive (no matter how shallow) into the why's. The why's cause anxiety because they imply scenarios she may not be able to handle.

Her reflex is to be over-cautious and over-charge which is fine most of the time, but it lessens the convenience and practicality of the car which is its own problem. Fortunately the Tesla has really excellent dynamic range analytics built in so the message has become the following:

1. Tell the car the destination. Make it a habit
2. ALWAYS have a Plan 'B' to add charge, and preferably a Plan 'C' too
3. If the car says estimated destination SOC is below 15%, slow down
4. If the car says estimated destination SOC is below 5% and it is over 50 miles away, bailout to Plan 'B'

Her use of this device is pretty reasonable. She frequently checks the destination SoC until she convinces herself that it is stable. Then she relaxes. This approach could be problematic in a winter storm but we are not taking long drives in those conditions. As she gains experience I think she will adopt my approach of being progressively less cautious, and using up reserve as I near my destination although I still haven't come up with a non-numbers method she will find usable.

LeftieBiker said:
My housemate once drove my 2013 SV to work and back, in Winter. I set the climate control to a nice low but not too low setting, to give her about a 30% cushion. She turned it off completely after leaving the house, returned with 35% left, and complained about range anxiety. She kept that line up for years: "I just don't think that a BEV is suited to this climate." Then, when her PIP got sick, she started driving my car for trips outside of town. I steered her to an SV+ with a 62kwh pack to be safe, but she stopped having range anxiety after just a couple of trips in my 40kwh SL. People say that 300 miles of range is the magic number to alleviate range anxiety, but I think that all that is required is twice as much range as you need - in her case, about 130 miles.

Range is very much based on what you need.

While the 40 kWh Leaf works great for my wife or I as a daily driver - work or around town, grocery stores, etc... it barely reaches anything outside of town. Palmdale requires 90% of the battery to get to, on a good day. So while we *can* just take our Subaru when we actually want to leave town, it would be "nice" to have an EV that could fulfill more and more of our use cases. I like to go hiking on the weekends. Leaf can't do that. And I have all this free solar energy that would be free fuel if I could utilize more of it. At lunch I was dumping over 7 kW onto the grid.

Not sure what I will trade it in yet for... something late fall or winter. Ariya? Ioniq 5? VW ID4? Audi Q4 Etron? I don't know yet. We shall see what the tax credit is, and who has the best deal.

90% of the places we drive are within easy range of the 40kwh Leafs. Of the rest, about half are still doable. That leaves about 5% for which we might need the Plus. The main reason for the bigger pack, for us, is that when she inevitable grows attached to the car, she can buy it and will have enough range for her for the rest of her life.

The times they are a changin' - at least until new car prices fall again...

The Lia LEASE RETURN CENTERS are OPEN & READY FOR YOU
or anyone you know who has a lease coming due!

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY!

It only takes MINUTES TO CASH IN!!

It's Easy - Just click here to make your appointment

& bring your Driver's License & Dealer Pay-Off Sheet

Yep. I'm getting more and more offers to buy my car. They don't state a price but I'm not really interested in selling anyway. Still, it's a nice position to be in.

Back