"G Trim" For 2015 leaf and extended warranty

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrw88

Hi,

What does G Trim mean? How does this relate to the S, SL, etc? And is it worth getting extended warranty on it? I haven't had need for warranty for my past two cars (one I kept 3 years, one 2 years in was totalled)

Thank you
Ryan

We don't have G trims in the US, so it's hard for us to answer.

In the US, we have (marketing designations) S, SV and SL trims (from lowest to highest). Canadian Leafs have the same letters but their included optional/standard equipment per trim can slightly vary from ours for a given model year. And, there are also some changes made at certain model years.

I've seen people here (or on some Leaf FB group) try to map US trims to trims in Japan, UK or whatever but it often turns out there is no exact mapping due to slight differences.

What country are you in/is your Leaf from? Perhaps we can find the equivalent info as the Specs tab of https://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2015-nissan-leaf-press-kit for your Leaf?

cwerdna said:

In the US, we have (marketing designations) S, SV and SL trims (from lowest to highest). Canadian Leafs have the same letters but their included optional/standard equipment per trim can slightly vary from ours for a given model year. And, there are also some changes made at certain model years.

I've seen people here (or on some Leaf FB group) try to map US trims to trims in Japan, UK or whatever but it often turns out there is no exact mapping due to slight differences.

What country are you in/is your Leaf from? Perhaps we can find the equivalent info as the Specs tab of https://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/presskits/us-2015-nissan-leaf-press-kit for your Leaf?
Canada. It says trim g on the inner part of the door; it doesn't have the second charging plug, but has heated seats, solar panel, heated steering wheel, eco button on steering wheel, etc.

rcrw88 said:
cwerdna said:

Canada. It says trim g on the inner part of the door; it doesn't have the second charging plug, but has heated seats, solar panel, heated steering wheel, eco button on steering wheel, etc.
Was it imported from some other country and not a vehicle meant for the Canadian market? While it might say G, it's not a marketing name used in Canada.

https://nissannews.com/en-CA/nissan/canada/presskits/ca-2015-nissan-leaf-press-kit specs tab lists the possible trim levels. Over there, only the S trim does not have the CHAdeMO inlet (quick charge port). In the US, only SL trims have the small solar panel on the rear spoiler.

cwerdna said:
rcrw88 said:
cwerdna said:

Was it imported from some other country and not a vehicle meant for the Canadian market? While it might say G, it's not a marketing name used in Canada.

https://nissannews.com/en-CA/nissan/canada/presskits/ca-2015-nissan-leaf-press-kit specs tab lists the possible trim levels. Over there, only the S trim does not have the CHAdeMO inlet (quick charge port). In the US, only SL trims have the small solar panel on the rear spoiler.
Interesting. It should be Ontario/Quebec made. I'll have to check. I don't have the car yet at home.

rcrw88 said:
Interesting. It should be Ontario/Quebec made. I'll have to check. I don't have the car yet at home.
I didn't think any Leafs were assembled in Canada. I'd assume yours would come from Smyrna, TN. Otherwise, I'd imagine they come from Japan (Oppama plant, I think) or Sunderland, UK.

cwerdna said:
rcrw88 said:
I didn't think any Leafs were assembled in Canada. I'd assume yours would come from Smyrna, TN. Otherwise, I'd imagine they come from Japan (Oppama plant, I think) or Sunderland, UK.
Okay, just assumed it was Canadian made. Good to know

^^^
You can tell what country a vehicle was made in via its leftmost character of the VIN. What's that in this case?
rcrw88 said:
I can't speak for Canadian trims but in the US, '12 to '17 SL have always come with CHAdeMO inlet (larger inlet on the left side under the charging door) and the solar panel on the rear spoiler (solar panel on '11 SL, as well). Heated seats and steering wheel have always been standard on all US trim levels from '12 to '15. Around '16 or 17, for the US, they started skimping on rear heated seats. IIRC, only included on higher trims on US '16 and '17.

I'm pretty sure we're talking apples versus oranges here. I believe the "Trim: G" rcrw88 is referring to is the trim code listed on the door jam sticker that's found when opening the driver's side door, and I believe cwerdna is referring to the trim designation that is displayed by the badges affixed to the outside of a vehicle. I live about 10 miles from the Smyrna, TN factory and have a 2015 SL with the Premium Package that I purchased new in 2015. Although it's an SL, if I look at the sticker on the door jam it indicates the car is "Trim: G."

Totally unrelated but since I saw it mentioned within one of the posts, my vehicle came with the standard charging port as well as the CHAdeMO port.

Back