Multiple connections to start charge

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donaldus

Have a 2018 Leaf SV, use a 50 amp Chargepoint home unit. Occasionally, I will hear the connectors make a soft thump and the blue lights do not illuminate. A second or third try results in a “hard thump” and the charging process initiates. Is this normal?

If this issue is consistent you could test with another charging station to see if the problem follows. Doesn't solve the issue, but helps you isolate it to the car or the EVSE. Hopefully it's EVSE side.

If you have a way to keep the EVSE that came with the car nearby, you could swap to it when this happens just to see if it is the car or the Chargepoint causing the issue. Even though one is 120V (or 240 if you use the dryer plug) and the other is 240V, they both use the same connector and should both engage the relays for the Leaf to begin charging. At least this is a way to quickly narrow down the cause, the next time it happens.

donaldus said:
50 amp 240 nema plug...no dryer for me!

You could string a clothes line from the Leaf and drive around to dry your laundry! (Please don't do this :p)

Back