What is going to be your next EV?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find it amusing to read the same people who bought LEAF because it was cheap, talk about buying a newly released Ariya. As if it was going to sell for anything less than MSRP for the first 3 - 6 months

Starting to look like our next EV will be a new model X. But probably waiting until Jan to put in the order for hopefully an April delivery. We are planning on pulling a small 2800 pound dry weight trailer and now leaning away from the Cybertruck that we currently have a reservation on. The model X should do a good job of towing the trailer for our kind of RVing. Still waiting to do a test drive and that from what I gather is still a few months away as Tesla centres don’t have any yet.

SageBrush said:
I find it amusing to read the same people who bought LEAF because it was cheap, talk about buying a newly released Ariya. As if it was going to sell for anything less than MSRP for the first 3 - 6 months

Sure but I see plenty of used 2019 LEAFs and such at used car dealers. I would not be surprised to see an Ariya there in a year or two after release. Some people turn over cars quickly.

webeleafowners said:
Starting to look like our next EV will be a new model X. But probably waiting until Jan to put in the order for hopefully an April delivery. We are planning on pulling a small 2800 pound dry weight trailer and now leaning away from the Cybertruck that we currently have a reservation on. The model X should do a good job of towing the trailer for our kind of RVing. Still waiting to do a test drive and that from what I gather is still a few months away as Tesla centres don’t have any yet.

If not for Covid often enthuiast gruops will at least let you look at and sit in their cars. While it sometimes happens I would not count on a test drive though.

Based on what I saw Bjorn do in his Nimber days with a trailer I figure the X will do just fine for you.

webeleafowners said:
Interesting -- the *only* Tesla I would buy for towing would be the cybertruck

What is your reasoning ?

SageBrush said:
webeleafowners said:

What is your reasoning ?

Well, we actually have a reservation for a cybertruck...but it’s probably overkill for us. We have been touring North America in a diesel pusher for almost 18 years. Great coach. Has served us well. The last 5 years we have been towing an electric smart car. But there have been so many camp sites that we have had to pass since we are just to big. This time we are going into all the small out of the way parks, including Vancouver island and all the little islands that can only be accessed by ferry’s. The Cybertruck would work great, but we don’t want to be a two vehicle family if we can avoid it and we don’t want our only vehicle to be a truck. Soooo, we are leaning towards the model x and selling the model 3 after I retire (again) this fall. It’s hard retiring here right now, unemployment is super low and everyone is looking for people to hire.

Anyway. Hope that makes sense. Motorhome has a pending deal on it. That was the first step. If the deal closes we’ll get serious.

webeleafowners said:
SageBrush said:
webeleafowners said:

What is your reasoning ?

Well, we actually have a reservation for a cybertruck...but it’s probably overkill for us. We have been touring North America in a diesel pusher for almost 18 years. Great coach. Has served us well. The last 5 years we have been towing an electric smart car. But there have been so many camp sites that we have had to pass since we are just to big. This time we are going into all the small out of the way parks, including Vancouver island and all the little islands that can only be accessed by ferry’s. The Cybertruck would work great, but we don’t want to be a two vehicle family if we can avoid it and we don’t want our only vehicle to be a truck. Soooo, we are leaning towards the model x and selling the model 3 after I retire (again) this fall. It’s hard retiring here right now, unemployment is super low and everyone is looking for people to hire.

Anyway. Hope that makes sense. Motorhome has a pending deal on it. That was the first step. If the deal closes we’ll get serious.

I'm not so sure that the Cybertruck will feel or drive like an ICE truck, but you will be able to buy a lot more battery for the same price as a Model X. I'm strongly influenced by a fellow named 'Ohmman' over at TMC who has the 100 kWh Model X that he uses to tow one of the most efficient airdrop trailers on the market and he still occasionally has problems Supercharger jumping. Besides torque, it is not by accident that diesels pull trailers: it takes a LOT of energy.

It does. And yes it would be nice to have the big battery. But the way we camp we seldom travel more than a couple hundred kilometers in a day. In B.C. there are so many places to camp and hike. If I travel 100 km in any direction from our little town I ‘ll have passed 5 amazing camping hiking areas.

But I hear ya. So much to consider.

webeleafowners said:
It does. And yes it would be nice to have the big battery. But the way we camp we seldom travel more than a couple hundred kilometers in a day. In B.C. there are so many places to camp and hike. If I travel 100 km in any direction from our little town I ‘ll have passed 5 amazing camping hiking areas.

But I hear ya. So much to consider.
I'll be surprised if the cybertruck does not make a good little camper all by itself, either as delivered or with aftermarket options. The cybertruck may make your trailer redundant.

webeleafowners said:

Any specific reason to not the e-tron?

We turned in our '18 LEAF last month and bought a RAV4 Prime PHEV to replace it. It's a great compromise in that it gets 47 miles in pure EV mode which is perfect for our 95% driving and gets between 45 & 120 MPG in hybrid mode for our 5% road trips.

I also have a Taycan Cross Tursimo on order for a late 2021 delivery.

Mister Grumpy here will bet large bills that the RAV (or any other car of its weight, for that matter) will NEVER get 120 MPG when used beyond the EV capability. Drive, say, 200 miles, 40 on the battery and 160 on the ICE, you MAY see 60 MPG but Grumpy doubts it. And as for the RAV mileage when used for long trips: Grumpy doubts 45 but is willing to listen to real life stories. Too much finagling of numbers, let us see some actual info.....

OrientExpress said:
We turned in our '18 LEAF last month and bought a RAV4 Prime PHEV to replace it. It's a great compromise in that it gets 47 miles in pure EV mode which is perfect for our 95% driving and gets between 45 & 120 MPG in hybrid mode for our 5% road trips.

I also have a Taycan Cross Tursimo on order for a late 2021 delivery.
Grrrr, still waiting for our RAV4 Prime, going off what our dealer said, we should expect to wait another 12-18 months more :(
Mr. Grumpy,
I'm also skeptical about the MPGs on PHEVs but like you are willing to be enlightened. I can understand the ~40 miles of pure EV range but when we go on road trips it's often 400 miles+ without stopping, or at least no opportunity to charge along the way so I'm not sure how it's going to work. Would it be best to use the 40 EV miles up first and then run the last 360 miles in mostly all ICE miles or try and save the EV miles for later?? and risk leaving some in the battery, where we'd be able to fill the battery up once at our destination. In our case for town driving were planning on using almost all EV miles, it's just trip miles I'm not so sure of, although if I could get the 39 EPA highway ICE MPG, I'd probably be mostly happy. Not the 50mpg we get in our current Prius but not bad either for a higher more offroad capable comfortable vehicle, time will tell........

WetEV said:
webeleafowners said:

Any specific reason to not the e-tron?

Yah good question. We liked the e-tron and it seems well done. A few things are steering us away from it.

1. 4000 pound towing capacity vice 5000 for the model x.

2. The supercharger network has served us well and we don’t want to lose that facility.

3. We have had a very good ownership experience with our Tesla model 3. The car has been flawless and was a champ this winter. And the car just keeps getting better every over the air software update. At this point Tesla has earned our brand loyalty. Not saying the ETron experience wouldn’t be good but at this point we have no reason to look elsewhere.

Jmho.

Going by what I have read, the recommendation is to use the battery around town and the ICE on the highway. This is because the ICE is more efficient at sustained highway speeds than it is around town. This assumes that the trip will exceed the battery’s capacity.

Your strategy will likely be determined by how much local driving you will do before you can charge again.

jjeff said:
Mr. Grumpy,
I'm also skeptical about the MPGs on PHEVs but like you are willing to be enlightened. I can understand the ~40 miles of pure EV range but when we go on road trips it's often 400 miles+ without stopping, or at least no opportunity to charge along the way so I'm not sure how it's going to work. Would it be best to use the 40 EV miles up first and then run the last 360 miles in mostly all ICE miles or try and save the EV miles for later?? and risk leaving some in the battery, where we'd be able to fill the battery up once at our destination. In our case for town driving were planning on using almost all EV miles, it's just trip miles I'm not so sure of, although if I could get the 39 EPA highway ICE MPG, I'd probably be mostly happy. Not the 50mpg we get in our current Prius but not bad either for a higher more offroad capable comfortable vehicle, time will tell........

dmacarthur said:
Mister Grumpy here will bet large bills that the RAV (or any other car of its weight, for that matter) will NEVER get 120 MPG when used beyond the EV capability. Drive, say, 200 miles, 40 on the battery and 160 on the ICE, you MAY see 60 MPG but Grumpy doubts it. And as for the RAV mileage when used for long trips: Grumpy doubts 45 but is willing to listen to real life stories. Too much finagling of numbers, let us see some actual info.....
120 MPGe lol

Our first long trip in the RAV4 Prime had a significant amount of mountain interstate driving and always at the traffic speed which was 75-80 mph. I'm quite pleased with the MPG return given the speed and the terrain. Around town and driving mostly in EV mode will easily return 120 mpg, but for freeway ICE/Hybrid use 40+ MPG is totally acceptable. On the first trip we had one individual tank that returned 53 MPG and another that returned 78 mpg, with both being with a tailwind and predominantly downhill. But we also had one tank that only returned 15 mpg with a strong headwind and uphill. Your results may vary.

OrientExpress said:
Our first long trip in the RAV4 Prime had a significant amount of mountain interstate driving...

How did the PHEV Rav4 do pulling up the mountain interstates? Did you find yourself in want of more power?

I'm eyeing a PHEV to replace my ICE in the next couple of years and I'm curious what your experience was.

G3NG4R said:
How did the PHEV Rav4 do pulling up the mountain interstates? Did you find yourself in want of more power?

I'm eyeing a PHEV to replace my ICE in the next couple of years and I'm curious what your experience was.

The RAV4 Prime is the second most powerful vehicle in Toyota's lineup today with about 310 combine HP. I found that it had no issue accelerating or staying with traffic on the mountain interstates. I found it amusing that I would be in the fast lane doing 75 on an uphill straight with some cheeky SUV coming up behind me doing 90 and would start a right lane pass. I would just accelerate up to a 100-110 to leave him behind.

This RAV is very fast with the battery always keeping at least 10% capacity for acceleration with the ICE.

I'm wrapped up in my usual "Let's make a deal" negotiations for my next car. I'm negotiating with my housemate, who prefers driving my SL, to possibly take over her SV+ lease, while she/the household buy the SL off lease for her to drive. Failing that, I'm looking at leasing a Brilliant Silver "Base" 40kwh SV with Tech package (All Weather Package is no more for the SV - yay!...unless they dropped the heat pump) for about $229, and selling the SL to Carmax for most or all of the $1500 down payment on the SV. I could lease a Super Black SV+ for $254, but that requires a much larger DP, and I don't need a second car with 200+ miles of range. I would struggle to drive that far, these days.

Back