COVID-19 aka 2019 (and 2020) Novel Coronavirus

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
My housemate and I had been trying several times a day/night - and more in her case - to get an appointment for the J&J vaccine, as I'm very concerned about getting a variant after getting vaccinated. She managed to get us both signed up on Saturday, for tomorrow afternoon. Fingers crossed, but I'll believe it when my arm is sore. Hang in there, Cwerdna: states are now rapidly opening up eligibility. Not as fast as they are discarding vital restrictions, but still fairly fast...

Not everyone gets a sore arm. Or any other specific side effect. I get the Moderna, first injection felt like I had been punched, second was 10x that. Sister had no arm soreness at all, both times.

I had a 12 hour flu: fever, chills, yuck and such after the second shot. Others hardly notice either one.

So many variations... Good luck getting it.

Slides 7, 8 and 12 of https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/acip/meetings/downloads/slides-2021-02/28-03-01/05-covid-Shimabukuro.pdf has some numbers/% of commonly reported reactions to Pfizer and Moderna vaccines, but not J&J. I haven't had time to study the deck yet.

I only had a sore arm and maybe fatigue the next day from Pfizer shot 1. I expect to not feel well after Pfizer shot 2.

By "variant" I meant one of the mutated versions of the virus, not side effects.

We just had our J&J vaccinations. I hadn't seen the latest updated
warnings against taking OTC pain meds beforehand - I read them
literally 5 minutes after taking 600mg of ibuprofen for my usual pain.
So now I'm worried that my vaccination was ruined. I'm also worried
about my housemate, who has food allergies, although she hasn't seen
any symptoms other than a single non-itchy hive that popped up and
then vanished shortly afterward.

Got my first Moderna dose last Wednesday. A sore arm was all I noticed - more than usual, but nothing too crazy. My wife got her second dose today. Our son - who does mobile urgent care - got his first dose last Friday (he just started this new job).

Feeling much better about having at least one dose. Latest from CDC suggests that some can see significant risk reduction 2 weeks after first does of either mRNA vaccine. If so, that would be welcome.

My boss had her J&J vaccine yesterday, and today felt pretty crappy.

My wife's brother had a bad time with both doses of Moderna. We joked it's because he votes funny...

I had my first dose of the Moderna vaccine earlier today. I feel like crap at the moment: chills and headache, along with soreness in my arm. But at least I'm on the way.

Got my first dose of Moderna today, about 1:30. So far, the injection site's sore, no different than getting a flu shot. I do feel tired, but that may be the extra distance I rode on my bike today to get it, or just the emotional let down from finally feeling like some progress is being made. I'll see if any flu-like symptoms show up.

Re appointments, took me 4.5 days to get one and 5.5 to get the shot after they opened up to 50+ last Thursday, and I was registered at myturn, my county (Alameda) and city websites, plus was checking all the chain pharmacy sites repeatedly. Got mine at a city-operated site. I had requested J&J but a Moderna appt. became available sooner, and I wasn't going to be picky.

Like cwerdna I expect a colossal clusterfuck when they expand eligibility another 34 years on April 15, as opening it 15 years was bad enough. They either lack vaccine, appointment slots or both, so it's silly to force people to camp out online for days when they know they won't be able to schedule them for awhile - why not use 5 year increments? I was in the upper part of the lowered age bracket but don't have any of the pre-existing conditions or an essential job, so I'm not surprised cwerdna had to get a 'use it or lose it' dose given the time it took me to get a regular appt.

One thing I noticed on the CVS list was that virtually all of their sites which had appointments available were in Central valley ag communities, e.g. Bakersfield, Fresno, Madera, Reedley, Porterville, etc. Major metro areas were fully booked. I'm guessing it's due to reluctance among farm workers, either because they're worried about the shots or else they're illegals and worried that La Migra will be waiting to scoop them up if they show; alternatively, they may not be able to get to the sites when appointments are available because they're working or for lack of transport.

My 2nd shot's at the same location on May 4th, so apparently they're using a 28 rather than 21 day schedule.

Think I'll head home, take a nap, and see what if any other symptoms show up.

Along the lines of CSUB, there's also this now: https://health.ucdavis.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/index.html.
As of April 6, 2021, anyone age 16 and older is eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine at UC Davis Health. You do not have to live or work in Sacramento County to schedule a vaccine appointment. We currently have enough vaccine supply and appointments available to expand eligibility before the state’s expansion on April 15.

GRA said:
Got my first dose of Moderna today,
My 2nd shot's at the same location on May 4th, so apparently they're using a 28 rather than 21 day schedule.
Moderna calls for a 28 day schedule per https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/moderna/index.html.
Persons age 18 years and older should receive 2 doses at least 28 days apart.

Second doses should be administered as close to the recommended interval as possible.
If it is not feasible to adhere to the recommended interval, you may schedule the second dose up to 6 weeks (42 days) after the first dose; there is limited efficacy data beyond this window, but a dose after this time does not need to be repeated.
Doses inadvertently given less than 28 days apart do not need to be repeated
Pfizer's vax is 21 days, up to 42. See https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/pfizer/index.html under scheduling.

I totally agree with GRA that the should go in 5 year increments at a time. I anticipate certain Bay Area counties (esp. Santa Clara) to have a cluster#$%$% w/the supply vs. demand imbalance.

At the same time, counties that have opened up to 16+ and seem to have enough supply should allow people in nearby counties to go. It was super frustrating that I couldn't book in Contra Costa County since I don't live nor work there.

The wait list for leftovers garbage is such a huge waste of collective time. It seems like all the pharmacies should have an option in their phone tree and/or online to be put on a wait list (maybe separate for eligible and ineligible 16+), instead of me having to call, wait (possibly 30+ minutes on hold), ask them if they have wait list for ineligible people, rinse and repeat. Multiply that by tons of people calling and the poor pharmacy staff that has to deal w/that all day.

Then the pharmacies have to call people when they have leftovers.

As of the wee hours, I'm a little under the weather, which is hard to tell because I often feel terrible anyway, and my housemate is decidedly sick - with fever, chills, nausea... At least she isn't showing signs of an allergic reaction.

goldbrick said:
Feel like :| today.

Much better today so it was only like a 24 hr flu bug. That seems to be a common reaction for people who do have reactions. Many folks I've talked to just had a sore arm or even less.

Wil Wheaton was featured in https://www.kget.com/health/coronavirus/with-walk-ins-welcomed-csu-bakersfield-vaccination-site-attracts-people-from-near-and-far/amp/, regarding him and many folks going to Bakersfield to get vaccinated.

cwerdna said:
Wil Wheaton was featured in https://www.kget.com/health/coronavirus/with-walk-ins-welcomed-csu-bakersfield-vaccination-site-attracts-people-from-near-and-far/amp/, regarding him and many folks going to Bakersfield to get vaccinated.

Was I the only one who liked Will in Star Trek? I thought he always got a bum rap from fans.

Bakersfield seems to have plenty to go around. That's where my wife got hers.

I had a sore arm after the Moderna. More than a flu shot but less than tetanus shot. Nothing else.

Was I the only one who liked Will in Star Trek?

Yup. ;)

I got body aches and extreme weakness - no sore arm, though. The weakness is holding on longest. I actually had to take a nitro yesterday morning, just from climbing our stairs. My housemate got it much worse, as noted above.

danrjones said:
I had a sore arm after the Moderna. More than a flu shot but less than tetanus shot. Nothing else.

First or second shot? My Moderna was like my shingles vaccine before this whole thing began. The first one was so easy I thought maybe it was a dud, the second one gave me a sore arm and the aches/chills/blahs for 24 hours.

goldbrick said:
danrjones said:

First or second shot? My Moderna was like my shingles vaccine before this whole thing began. The first one was so easy I thought maybe it was a dud, the second one gave me a sore arm and the aches/chills/blahs for 24 hours.

Just the first.

Back from getting the J&J vaccine at the Oakland Coliseum. It was quite impressive. Hundreds of Guardsmen (and women) have the process humming along. About 16 lanes for the drive-thru, all in use, getting it done. Hoping to see those case numbers dropping in the next few weeks.

cwerdna said:
Along the lines of CSUB, there's also this now: https://health.ucdavis.edu/coronavirus/covid-19-vaccine/index.html.
As of April 6, 2021, anyone age 16 and older is eligible for a COVID-19 vaccine at UC Davis Health. You do not have to live or work in Sacramento County to schedule a vaccine appointment. We currently have enough vaccine supply and appointments available to expand eligibility before the state’s expansion on April 15.
There are numerous reports that one needs to have an account there to see any appointment slots. I can confirm that as of this morning, no account == no slots as I don't have an account.

Also, to add to the CA woes are https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/04/07/california-expecting-nearly-90-drop-in-jj-vaccines-next-week-leading-to-fewer-first-shot-appointments/.
Doses will drop by about 15% in total next week, the state confirmed.
California is expecting about 90% fewer Johnson & Johnson vaccine doses next week, marking a significant decrease in the total number of doses that will lead to fewer first-time appointments, even as the state expands eligibility to any resident over age 16 on April 15.
Basically the above drop + increase in the other two == 15% fewer doses next week, to coincide with the floodgates opening in CA.

goldbrick said:
goldbrick said:
Feel like :| today.

Much better today so it was only like a 24 hr flu bug. That seems to be a common reaction for people who do have reactions. Many folks I've talked to just had a sore arm or even less.

I've had it easy. Two days after the shot my arm soreness is almost gone (have to press on it to notice), and I anticipate it will be completely gone tomorrow on day 3, just like a flu shot. Other than that I had 1.5 days of mild fatigue/lethargy. I've had more and/or stronger symptoms after flu vaccinations. Guess I'll find out if the effects of the 2nd shot are worse, as some have reported.

Thanks to cwerdna for the Moderna info - I thought they were on the same 21 day interval as Pfizer. It does mean that it'll be May 18 before I'm fully vaccinated plus the 2 week wait period. Of two minds whether I should have held out for J&J, but at least I've got some protection now versus full protection who knows when, as CA's J&J allotment has been reduced by 88% for next week, then a further 2/3rds reduction from that the week following.

Just when it seemed we were both over the worst of the J&J
vaccine's side effects, I seem to be entering a new phase of them. My
gut is cramping a bit, and my heart is getting cantankerous again. My
housemate is still improving.

Day after J&J, flu-like muscle pains though not as bad as real flu. But, profound fatigue. Here’s to tomorrow, lol

Back