alozzy
Delivery Date: 18 Jan 2017

Re: What is going to be your next EV?

Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:30 am

More than likely, this will be my next EV :-)

Vancouver, CA owner of a 2013 Ocean Blue SV + QC, purchased 01/2017 in WA
Zencar 12/20/24/30A L1/L2 portable EVSE
1-1/4" Curt #11396 hitch
After market, DIY LED DRLs
LeafSpy Pro + Konnwei KW902 ELM327 BT OBDII dongle
Loving my first BEV :D

salyavin
Delivery Date: 30 Dec 2019
Leaf Number: 318726

Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:45 pm

Being in Canada it will do great. If you don't need more than 2 or 3 DCFC in a trip it will do well. We have some time on CHAdeMO

frontrangeleaf
Delivery Date: 08 Jul 2019

Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:36 pm

Pondering whether to sell the Leaf this year. It's a good car, performs as advertised in every way, but the shift away from CCS has me spooked - I'm expecting its resale value to plummet later this year when other options really start to be available. Right now we can get not quite what we paid for it in Colorado, a little shy of 2 years old, with 11k miles.

Tesla offered $20k in trade, for example. Not bad, and I should be able to do a bit better than that.

Our situation is a bit different, as my wife is still trying to recover from a debilitating brain injury suffered 2+ years ago. We bought the Leaf hoping she could drive it, but so far, no luck. We live in the suburbs, and while we love our location, it's not walkable. So we may be faced with some bigger decisions around downsizing well before we otherwise would, and the Leaf might well become part of that process, CCS or no.

If we do move to something smaller, walkable and transit-oriented, then the camper and the Audi will also go. (I won't have free storage available anymore.) We'll keep the roadster for a bit, and probably buy a Tesla Model 3 LR AWD. Make that our general purpose car.

Lots to think about. We should be in a position to decide in a few months.

Edit: I've decided to keep the roadster and not to go with the Tesla unless we sell the camper and the Audi. We'll keep the Audi as a tow vehicle as long as we have the trailer. There is no other tow vehicle I'd rather have, it's paid for, and has a 10 yr 120k mile warranty due to dieselgate. Hard to beat. 4 years to go on the warranty.
Empty-nesters - NW Denver-Boulder Area

2019 Leaf SL Plus
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
2007 BMW Z4 3.0Si
2012 VW GTI: SOLD

salyavin

Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:02 pm

Why are you spooked? Do you think CHAdeMO will go away tomorrow? I expect at least 10 years.

Also may I ask how far you drive your LEAF? If you just drive around the metro area you don't need DCFC at all IMHO. I drive up to Fort Collins or down to Colorado Springs all off my home charging (I have a plus). I need CHAdeMO when I go to Telluride, Moab, or the like. Nearer camping an RV outlet is plenty. If you don't go so far CHAdeMO could disappear tomorrow and the car would be fine. Why not use the car for a decade and not worry about resale value?

DougWantsALeaf
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811

Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:59 pm

Except for EA everyone else is still installing 1 to 1 ccs to chademo. Tesla still only supports a chademo adapter in the US. The setec one you use at your own risk.
2019 S Plus (93.86% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (93.35% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh

SageBrush
Forum Supporter
Delivery Date: 13 Feb 2017

Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:16 pm

salyavin wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:02 pm
Why are you spooked? Do you think CHAdeMO will go away tomorrow? I expect at least 10 years.

Also may I ask how far you drive your LEAF? If you just drive around the metro area you don't need DCFC at all IMHO. I drive up to Fort Collins or down to Colorado Springs all off my home charging (I have a plus). I need CHAdeMO when I go to Telluride, Moab, or the like. Nearer camping an RV outlet is plenty. If you don't go so far CHAdeMO could disappear tomorrow and the car would be fine. Why not use the car for a decade and not worry about resale value?
The short answer is that it binds you to trip planning, and sometimes inconvenient trip planning. Today we drove into the city, and then drove to the neighboring city of Santa Fe ~ 60 miles away before returning home. I didn't know my SoC exactly but I was sure it was over 50% so Superchargers were easily accessible and I didn't worry about charging up the car in the morning. On the way to Santa Fe I decided to drive 80 mph. I didn't bother asking myself if the car had enough charge ... because Santa Fe has a Supercharger en-route. I didn't bother checking how much head-wind because .... you guessed it, I could always take a short stop at the Supercharger. Winter driving ? No problem ... because, well, you guessed it.

A really good, reliable and fast FC network is worth its weight in gold. Or latinum, if we are talking about an EV like a LEAF with poor instrumentation.
2013 LEAF 'S' Model with QC & rear-view camera
Bought Jan 2017 from N. California
Two years in Colorado, now in NM
03/18: 58 Ahr, 28k miles
11/18: 56.16 Ahr, 30k miles
09/20: 54.3 Ahr; 38k miles
-----
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR, Delivered 6/2018

salyavin

Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:22 pm

Well to me it is a waste of time not to charge before a intercity trip like that as one has to go off route and wait at a supercharger or other DCFC. From my point of view it is less effort and time to charge at home for those range of trips. I regularly do those 60 mile intercity trips. That said as you probably know if you've been back up here along the front range we have dense DCFC including CHAdeMO (albeit mostly 50kw as EA seems to have turned it back down except for a few EVGo 100kw) so we can do similar just not as fast charging time and with variable pricing. We have so many CHAdeMO in front range area I don't expect them to start fading for about 10 years, many are new. Don't get me wrong Superchargers are faster and cheaper than CHAdeMO. Charging at home is faster (plug in when you get home, walk away, no wasted time) and even cheaper but that only is good up to about Fort Collins or Colorado Springs and back before one reverts to DCFC. DCFC is worth it's weight in latinum as you say as it allows greater travel range.

frontrangeleaf
Delivery Date: 08 Jul 2019

Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:58 am

Great input you guys, thanks. In practice, I have yet to charge away from home to date. We have other cars for over-the-road trips, which more often than not involve towing the camper or traveling to a trailhead. We have taken the Leaf as far as Ft Collins and back in the same day. No charging needed. We are also on Xcel's time-of-use plan, so overnight charging is dirt cheap.

I am spooked mostly around market perceptions. Whether Chademo goes away overnight or not (not expecting that myself), the perception that it's a dead end doesn't help resale value. I am also thinking that the EV market is evolving quickly, and we most likely won't keep the Leaf as long as we have our other vehicles.

We normally keep our cars a good long time (although not forever) - this is kind of new for us. But we have 3 vehicles and just me as the driver right now. By any reasonable standard, that's pretty extravagant. We don't even drive that much anymore due to my wife's condition. Everything is paid off, so yes, we could stand pat. But depreciation, insurance and annual registrations add up. So the background around my wife's situation is also driving my thinking. If I'm going to sell the Leaf anyway, then now's the time. If we don't stay in our current home and downsize, there will be a lot of hard decisions ahead of us.

I foresee a time when we have just the roadster and 1 other car - an EV that is capable of easily traveling cross-country, but not for towing. The question is whether that happens this year or in more like 5. After much thought I've decided to keep the roadster until it gets cranky. It's 14 years old now, but has just 26k miles.

Sagebrush, I appreciate your perspective on the differences in fast charging. I know you're familiar with both. Salyavin, appreciate your local insights. Thanks again.
Empty-nesters - NW Denver-Boulder Area

2019 Leaf SL Plus
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
2007 BMW Z4 3.0Si
2012 VW GTI: SOLD

johnlocke
Delivery Date: 14 Dec 2015
Leaf Number: 300582

Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:51 am

frontrangeleaf wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:58 am
Great input you guys, thanks. In practice, I have yet to charge away from home to date. We have other cars for over-the-road trips, which more often than not involve towing the camper or traveling to a trailhead. We have taken the Leaf as far as Ft Collins and back in the same day. No charging needed. We are also on Xcel's time-of-use plan, so overnight charging is dirt cheap.

I am spooked mostly around market perceptions. Whether Chademo goes away overnight or not (not expecting that myself), the perception that it's a dead end doesn't help resale value. I am also thinking that the EV market is evolving quickly, and we most likely won't keep the Leaf as long as we have our other vehicles.

We normally keep our cars a good long time (although not forever) - this is kind of new for us. But we have 3 vehicles and just me as the driver right now. By any reasonable standard, that's pretty extravagant. We don't even drive that much anymore due to my wife's condition. Everything is paid off, so yes, we could stand pat. But depreciation, insurance and annual registrations add up. So the background around my wife's situation is also driving my thinking. If I'm going to sell the Leaf anyway, then now's the time. If we don't stay in our current home and downsize, there will be a lot of hard decisions ahead of us.

I foresee a time when we have just the roadster and 1 other car - an EV that is capable of easily traveling cross-country, but not for towing. The question is whether that happens this year or in more like 5. After much thought I've decided to keep the roadster until it gets cranky. It's 14 years old now, but has just 26k miles.

Sagebrush, I appreciate your perspective on the differences in fast charging. I know you're familiar with both. Salyavin, appreciate your local insights. Thanks again.
I think that for you the real question is who gets you to autonomous driving? For your wife that could be the kicker. Value of a used Leaf is minimal and most of that value is lost in the first 3-4 years. CHADEMO is going away but for a car used mostly in town, DCFC is not a big deal. A 5 year old Leaf isn't likely to be driven cross-country anyway. If you keep the Leaf for a couple of years more, you won't lose a lot more to depreciation and you will have a wider selection of EV's to choose from. Maybe even the rumored $25K Tesla 2. On the other hand, you can tow with a model Y now or wait for the Cybertruck. If autonomous driving isn't that important to you, keep the Leaf and drive it into the ground then buy something that fits your current needs. If you think that the autonomous driving feature could be useful, then buy a 3 or Y and trade the Leaf in.
2016 SV, New battery at 45K mi.
Jamul, CA
San Diego East County

salyavin

Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:07 am

I do get the downsizing, actually it is very relevant to me as I am involved in the 2nd downsizing for my elderly father up in Fort Collins. For vehicles we are getting rid of his 42 year old RV, and his pickup truck leaving him with a Corolla only.

On CHAdeMO affecting the resale value of the LEAF I really don't think it makes that difference. Most "normal" people have no idea about CCS or CHAdeMO or future trends. That said the LEAF loses value very quickly especially in the first few years so your feeling about selling soon does make good sense if you don't plan to keep it long term. You are right to sell the LEAF now if you don't plan to keep it.

The roadster would certainly be more fun and gives you access to the supercharger network. It may cost more to fix if something goes wrong though if that is a consideration. The roadster will have less driver assist than even your LEAF I believe.

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”