The 62kWh Battery Topic

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
Here is a 2 year report on a battery in the outback down under.
So about a 10 year lifetime at current loss rate until 'EOL' at 70% capacity of new. We tend to poo-poo Nissan engineering but they really do know how to match pack warranty with average real-world degradation.

Not great by any means, but solid if slow progress since Gen 1

An aside, I've never seen such a symmetric shunting across modules. Is that something new with 62 kWh packs ?

Charged to 100% for a long trip...here is what leaf spy said.

lxWP02pl.png

QXbAHQ5l.png

DougWantsALeaf said:
If the 2018+ has 3 temp sensors, what is the 4th sensor?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17_YHYsa3CllsEcYf68_4QvUA-zIIegXG/view?usp=drivesdk

Place holder used for Gen zero and Gen one

DougWantsALeaf said:
Then why do they read 4 different temperatures? Is one a motor/inverter temp?

It does make you wonder what the 3rds reading is for? Up until recently, it was simply blank. So the 3rd phantom number is what?? Average reading? Who knows. FYI; motor inverter temp is completely different data point and MUCH higher

One curious note on my last long drive was that even though SoH was lower than the last time I charged to 100% due to bms change, my gids were higher (by about 10). 725 vs. 715 last time. I thought that kind of odd. Car started garaged both time while charging and battery temp was similar at start of drive.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Then why do they read 4 different temperatures? Is one a motor/inverter temp?
You guys realize these temp sensors are just located in different parts of the pack?
When I upgraded from a 24->40 kWh pack, one of the four temp readings on my LeafDD went "blank"; they just decided to eliminate one of the sensors (not that it makes a difference).

DougWantsALeaf said:
One curious note on my last long drive was that even though SoH was lower than the last time I charged to 100% due to bms change, my gids were higher (by about 10). 725 vs. 715 last time. I thought that kind of odd. Car started garaged both time while charging and battery temp was similar at start of drive.

Reasons why SOH is not used for capacity; because that is not what its supposed to do. Ahr measures that BUT... LEAF Spy shows "potential" ahr on the voltage screen. If you don't have the "dial screen" you can see actual (estimated as always) Ahr and you will notice that this number varies all the time verses the ahr on the voltage screen which might change once a day...or once a week (between adjustments of course)

Another metric I track is SOC on full charges since that also has a range. Even when letting it balance out (which btw changes nearly nothing including GIDs) I still see a range between 96.7 to 98.5% (only have 6 examples so far)

Happy with my SOH so far: 93% at the moment at the 2 year mark from when the car was built. 19k miles, 70% highway driving at 65-70 mph, 100° long summers and 20° short winters.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Interesting, and while only 2 data points, the 8% degradation seen on these M3 LR seem to be close to what we are seeing on the Plus vehicles.

https://youtu.be/S2jSJCvH2iE

First off; I so so so WISH I'VE LIVED IN NORWAY!!

The variety of EVs and tech (did you notice the bullet train?) public charging, car rental options, etc. We are pathetic...just pathetic.

Had no idea Tesla has such a great monitoring tool to use. That is a HUGE selling tool to me.

I would venture to say that most of that 8% left the first year. I bet if he tests again in two years, his loss will be under 10%.

DaveinOlyWA said:
I would venture to say that most of that 8% left the first year. I bet if he tests again in two years, his loss will be under 10%.
That is part of the story.
The other part is that Bjorn is comparing 'capacity when new' to current 'full nominal.'

So far as I know, not one person has ever documented 'full nominal' anywhere near 'capacity when new'

It is my guess that 'capacity when new' is the battery before it is put through its first couple of charge cycles at the battery factory. What you really want as a baseline is the battery capacity when it first reaches the consumer, and then a second baseline after 6 -12 months of use.

---
It is time for you to come out of your cave long enough to watch Bjorn's 'Scan My Tesla' (SMT) videos. They are really interesting and informative. Tesla puts sensors on just about everything, and you can pretty much monitor whatever strikes your fancy. I personally find the heating and cooling dance between the cabin, battery and motors in models outfitted with a heat pump and Octovalve to be fascinating. I would have remained skeptical that Tesla could just about erase the winter range penalty if I hadn't watched SMT.

I traded yiutube chats with the Uber driver that was 115K miles on his 2019 Plus. He recently bought LeafSpy and it's showing 89% SoH. He has something like ~800 DC and ~800 full L2 Charges on the car.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I traded yiutube chats with the Uber driver that was 115K miles on his 2019 Plus. He recently bought LeafSpy and it's showing 89% SoH. He has something like ~800 DC and ~800 full L2 Charges on the car.

With the hidden capacity at the bottom of the battery, that means it should be able to hold out the EPA estimated range for a long time. I have LeafSpy doing just about daily logs on my 2020 to watch the SOH tick down by hundredths of a percent every day, is interesting to see, but glad to know it's still holding +97% SOH after a year of daily driving and way over the normal driving distance that most people do monthly. :mrgreen:

knightmb said:
DougWantsALeaf said:

With the hidden capacity at the bottom of the battery, that means it should be able to hold out the EPA estimated range for a long time. I have LeafSpy doing just about daily logs on my 2020 to watch the SOH tick down by hundredths of a percent every day, is interesting to see, but glad to know it's still holding +97% SOH after a year of daily driving and way over the normal driving distance that most people do monthly. :mrgreen:

97% after a year is unusual. I was in the high 92's or so after a year.

97 after 3 adjustment with a lot of driving is very unusual.

My S+ still hasn't kicked out of free Sirius mode, which made me wonder. Does something about the dealer prep for sale of the car start the bms adjustment clock? I ask because after a year in the lot, my SoH was still at 98.5%. (And first adjustment actually added .09%) that would correlate well to just micro ticks off the SoH and not a full adjustment.

Back