Volkswagen ID.4 CUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
danrjones said:
Maybe I'm missing something but to me, that's a very easy choice. Thermally regulated battery pack!
Along with CCS instead of CHAdeMO.
Way too easy a choice -- the prices might be right as MSRP but the lot prices will differ markedly.

danrjones said:
Voltswagon :lol:

Is it April 1st?

Yes, apparently they released the press release too early.

And then lots of places reported it as truth. :roll:

Volkswagen will change the name of its US electric car unit to “Voltswagen,” according to an accidentally leaked press release as reported by CNBC, which verified its authenticity with “a person familiar with the company’s plans.” Before it was taken down, the press release was dated April 29.
https://electrek.co/2021/03/29/its-not-april-fools-yet-vw-will-change-its-us-name-to-voltswagen/

And now they are all retracting that. :lol:

No, Volkswagen Isn’t Rebranding Itself Voltswagen
German car maker says announcement by its U.S. operation was supposed to be an April Fools’ gag
https://www.wsj.com/articles/messaging-says-vw-usa-to-rebrand-itself-voltswagenheadquarters-says-not-so-fast-11617120111?mod=hp_lead_pos10
Paywall-less archive (may be out of date): https://archive.is/tlQpn

The updated WSJ article notes thats shares of VW US were up and down by as much as 12% between when the announcement went out and when it was retracted, and that the SEC might investigate.

Ridiculous name change joke aside, I just traded my Leaf in for an ID.4. There are already features we like and dislike compared to the Leaf, but overall it feels like much less of a change than, say, going to a Model Y.

Biggest likes so far:
* Increased range
* The "cockpit" mounted on the steering wheel
* The adaptive cruise control + steering assist. It works pretty much the same as on the Leaf, but a little nicer.
* The comfy seats, with massage
* How much space there is, in the cabin and in the trunk
* The powered foot-activated liftgate
* The huge glass roof, with a powered sunshade
* Very smooth and quiet ride
* Fun ambient lighting
* The headlights turn as you go around corners, and they have a dark notch where the car in front of you is so you don't blind the person you're following.
* We haven't tried fast charging yet, but most accounts

Biggest dislikes so far:
* Unlocking the doors can be finicky.
* The charge port is in the back. We have to unspool our entire charging cable to get it back there.
* Multiple features can only be accessed through a menu deep in the touchscreen, and it is not easy to change settings while driving.
* The automatic high beams seem to default on, and they kept flashing on and off while we were driving on the highway. I'm pretty sure we can fix this, but I haven't figured out how yet.
* Efficiency is low. So far we're averaging 3.3 miles/kWh, though that is mostly highway driving.
* No way to disable creep mode at a stop (though we are told this will be added)

Astros said:
Ridiculous name change joke aside, I just traded my Leaf in for an ID.4. There are already features we like and dislike compared to the Leaf, but overall it feels like much less of a change than, say, going to a Model Y.

Biggest likes so far:
* Increased range
* The "cockpit" mounted on the steering wheel
* The adaptive cruise control + steering assist. It works pretty much the same as on the Leaf, but a little nicer.
* The comfy seats, with massage
* How much space there is, in the cabin and in the trunk
* The powered foot-activated liftgate
* The huge glass roof, with a powered sunshade
* Very smooth and quiet ride
* Fun ambient lighting
* The headlights turn as you go around corners, and they have a dark notch where the car in front of you is so you don't blind the person you're following.
* We haven't tried fast charging yet, but most accounts

Biggest dislikes so far:
* Unlocking the doors can be finicky.
* The charge port is in the back. We have to unspool our entire charging cable to get it back there.
* Multiple features can only be accessed through a menu deep in the touchscreen, and it is not easy to change settings while driving.
* The automatic high beams seem to default on, and they kept flashing on and off while we were driving on the highway. I'm pretty sure we can fix this, but I haven't figured out how yet.
* Efficiency is low. So far we're averaging 3.3 miles/kWh, though that is mostly highway driving.
* No way to disable creep mode at a stop (though we are told this will be added)

So no AWD? I am surprised that the need to upgrade from a Plus is that strong?

How different is the ID.4 auto highbeam behaviour to your 2019 LEAF? My 2019 LEAF automatically goes to highbeam then goes down when it detects a car. Easy to turn off I tend to like it on so I don't hit wildlife.

salyavin said:
How different is the ID.4 auto highbeam behaviour to your 2019 LEAF? My 2019 LEAF automatically goes to highbeam then goes down when it detects a car. Easy to turn off I tend to like it on so I don't hit wildlife.

The auto highbeams function very similarly to those on the Leaf when turned on. The main difference I've noticed is in the low beams, and that we can't seem to easily turn *off* the auto highbeams on the ID.4.

DaveinOlyWA said:
So no AWD? I am surprised that the need to upgrade from a Plus is that strong?

Yeah, not everyone would make the same choice we did. Once I saw that the Ariya would be offered with CCS I decided that the Leaf would not be a long-term car for us, since support for Chademo will probably fade away. The longer range, faster charging, and larger interior of the ID.4 were the main selling points, while the price of the 1st edition felt like a decent value.

Bjorn is raving about the ID4 (same with Tom Maloghny). It looks to be a great choice. Enjoy the car. Do you plan to mainly DC chsnge as you get 3 years free?

I find it interesting that both ID4 and Mustang don't do great efficiency wise. The larger battery compensates, but thought that VW would have done a bit better. Hyundai/Tesla seem to reign on efficiency, but especially now with lighter wheels, I feel like the Leaf really isn't that bad.

I am hoping Nissan sells the Leaf with Ariya for at least 2 more years, as that by itself will extend full Chademo support for at least 5 years... only other hope is that the Lexus makes it to the US, but thinking that is unlikely.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I find it interesting that both ID4 and Mustang don't do great efficiency wise.
Maybe it's because more like a CUV than hatchback? And they weigh much more. The ID4 is about 700 lbs heavier than the Leaf Plus. And the Mach E is 400-900 lbs heavier.

Had a short test drive yesterday, just a quick 10 minute loop in the area. No rep in the car with us to answer questions about controls, so that was a bit frustrating. Not thrilled with the touchscreen display, but seemed to be a better design than Teslas, liked the buttons on the steering wheel. Hated the glass roof.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Bjorn is raving about the ID4 (same with Tom Maloghny). It looks to be a great choice. Enjoy the car. Do you plan to mainly DC chsnge as you get 3 years free?

I find it interesting that both ID4 and Mustang don't do great efficiency wise. The larger battery compensates, but thought that VW would have done a bit better. Hyundai/Tesla seem to reign on efficiency, but especially now with lighter wheels, I feel like the Leaf really isn't that bad.

I am hoping Nissan sells the Leaf with Ariya for at least 2 more years, as that by itself will extend full Chademo support for at least 5 years... only other hope is that the Lexus makes it to the US, but thinking that is unlikely.

Your predicted impending demise of Chademo is simply not going to happen. If the LEAF ended today, Chademo will still be here 10 years from now.

DougWantsALeaf said:
I certainly hope you are right.

I am also hoping some enterprising firm, setec or otherwise, develops an adapter.

Negating EA, is any other public provider only doing CCS in your area?

DaveinOlyWA said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
I certainly hope you are right.

I am also hoping some enterprising firm, setec or otherwise, develops an adapter.

Negating EA, is any other public provider only doing CCS in your area?
Yes, multiple.
The no less important aspect of CHAdeMO though is that the installations already in place are not being maintained or repaired.

DougWantsALeaf said:

It's pretty cheap to charge at home, so we'll still only fast charge on trips. It's nice that that will be free, though. I wish the ID.4 had at least the efficiency of the Leaf, but it is a noticeably heavier and taller vehicle, with large wheels and wide tires.

As far as Chademo dying out, I'm pretty sure support and maintenance is built in to the Electrify America requirements, so it will at least last another 8 or so years.

Astros said:
As far as Chademo dying out, I'm pretty sure support and maintenance is built in to the Electrify America requirements, so it will at least last another 8 or so years.
The consent decree was signed in 2016/2017. IIRC the EA part runs 10 years. If VW builds a successful EV market in the USA then I can imagine them keeping EA; if not, EA may go up for sale circa 2026.

Well, there is still nearly 6 years left in the phase build out of EA so its a no brainer to think nothing will happen before then. My guess is by then, there will be several other providers...oil companies looking for a place to roost, who will provide plugs for everyone. EVgo has started it and I can't help but think others will follow. EA is hurting themselves by limiting income from Chademo but I guess some could rationalize it as them playing the long game but with the current "all access" requirement from DoJ, what they are doing now makes no sense other than buttering their own. The real question is whether they will have enough bread for all that butter?

DaveinOlyWA said:
Well, there is still nearly 6 years left in the phase build out of EA so its a no brainer to think nothing will happen before then. My guess is by then, there will be several other providers...oil companies looking for a place to roost, who will provide plugs for everyone. EVgo has started it and I can't help but think others will follow. EA is hurting themselves by limiting income from Chademo but I guess some could rationalize it as them playing the long game but with the current "all access" requirement from DoJ, what they are doing now makes no sense other than buttering their own. The real question is whether they will have enough bread for all that butter?

Once again, you are ignoring all other car makes. GM, Ford, BMW, even Nissan (Ariya) - they have all gone to CCS. It's not about buttering their own. I would wager that the number of CCS cars on US roads outnumber the CHAdeMO cars by a wide margin today, and that margin grows every month (the Bolt alone outsells the Leaf every quarter).

Back