Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.audi.jp/e-tron/range-and-charging/ also mentions CHAdeMO.

Indeed. https://www.chademo.com/ says there are 7700 CHAdeMO chargers in Japan, which is IIRC about 90% the size of California.

Again we are talking about the United States of America where Electrify America is located. Not about Japan (where I lived, married, procreated and am very familiar with the chargers) where electrify America does not exist. In Japan you usually want your cars to support CHAdeMO. Electrify America is in the United States of America. Your short trip to Japan has nothing to do with Electrify America.

salyavin said:
and the e-tron and taycan as audi and porche are part of the VW group. Expensive cars sure but they sell no CHAdeMO.

Yup. VW has also sold the eGolf with CCS for years. It has been small numbers in the US (I hear it's a hit in Europe though), but it still counts.

At the end of March there were 569 sites open/150"Coming soon", compared to 556/143 at the end of February, a gain of 13 open sites. For the past couple of months EA has only been updating their map/site count once a month, usually about 1 week into the month

Here's the list of road trip coverage expansion or gap filler "Coming soon" sites in the west I've been or will be monitoring, and consider most important for completion. I've added two* (3) sites, in Merced (S.R. 99/140), Auburn (I-80/S.R. 49), and Santa Maria, CA. All are infill on their main routes, but Auburn is in the Sierra foothills below the snow line, and we'll spaced from the Bay Area to be a good stopping point on the way up to Truckee/NLT/Reno.

It, along with the "Coming soon" site in Placerville, have lots of EVgo/CP competition as they're along the main Drive the Arc routes, but more's better, plus they're faster chargers.

Merced has EA chargers on 99 to both the NW and SE within 30 miles or so, but its main importance for now is that it serves S.R. 140 to Yosemite Valley. Until such time as EA or someone else builds a site in the Mariposa-El Portal area this is the furthest east QC on that route, which is often below the snow line in winter when 120 and 41 aren't, thus avoiding chain/AWD requirements.

WA: Port Angeles and Aberdeen (U.S. 101); Leavenworth (U.S. 2); Poulsbo (S.R. 3/305/307).

Oregon: Bend (U.S. 97); Warrenton & *Newport (U.S. 101).

CA: Greenfield, *Santa Maria (4/14) & Solvang (U.S. 101); *Yuba City (S.R. 99/20) & Chico (S.R. 99/32); Auburn (I-80/S.R. 49); (Placerville (U.S. 50); Los Banos, Lost Hills & Oceanside (I-5); Buck Meadows (S.R. 120); Merced (S.R. 99/140); Fenner (I-40).

AZ: Quartzsite (I-10); *Kingman (I-40).

NV: Lovelock & *W. Wendover (open 4/14) (I-80).

All 3 EA DC FC’s at the site that I’m on are showing complimentary session. Woot! I am charging on one of them now.

No idea if it extends beyond my site, city, or area.

Ok. Besides my anger that I will write about later, this is one thing I am happy about re: EA. This is the 2nd time I’ve gotten free sessions, by luck. I also was pretty low on juice when I arrived. Was at ~16% SoC.

They are free again. Ditto for another set of stations a few miles away.

https://twitter.com/JustJaribel/status/1378501905115181057?s=20 posted about this too. I don't know where they're at.

While digging around, I found this complaint and request for more CHAdeMO plugs at each site (https://twitter.com/jeremy_akers/status/1373730644367380486?s=20,). I'm sure EA's going to get right on that... ;)

It's not going to happen. One site in Frisco the whole thing (all chargers) went down several times last year. Always check the app and plugshare before you leave. While I am very glad EA exists as it is the only cross country charge network open to all cars at the moment, I do see reliability with EA sites. EVGo also goes down sometimes particularly their older ones. My hope is EVs will continue to become more popular which will help more chargers get built for redundancy if nothing else. Remember when EA did an upgrade taking out most chargers? That kind of thing strands people. On the person needing to be towed I wonder if he used plugshare to try and find l2 or even an outlet. Not sure if they even knew about plugshare.

cwerdna said:
While digging around, I found this complaint and request for more CHAdeMO plugs at each site
I'd like one or more CHAdeMO plug at every DCQC site... including Tesla's. :lol: :roll: :lol: :cry:
Yea, I know, never will happen.

Seriously, we should have exactly one open to all standard plug for all EVs, at least at the national level. Free as in freedom, not free beer. Closed proprietary standards are harmful to almost everyone.

CHAdeMO qualifies as an open standard, but isn't supported widely in the USA. Yes, I know Japan is different, as is China and Europe.

Somehow we need one free and open standard. CCS could be that standard.

Are there any other realistic standards for the USA?

They are still free now. Charging again. :)

As I was leaving, a gen 1 Leaf pulled up to use the CHAdeMO plug. He seemed to have no idea it'd be free. He plugged in and was charging for free when I left. This is the first time I've been an an EA site where someone else was actually using the equipment w/o me having coordinating meeting someone there.

Given that someone in MA at https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/electrify-america-complimentary-sessions-stations-set-to-free.37983/#post-596928 reported at noon ET that it was free for them, perhaps it's nationwide? I wonder when the free candy will end this time.

salyavin said:
I actually stopped by one today at 16% just to see based on your comments. I took 2kw and was charged for it. Different state. Oh well
2 kWh?

Bummer. Maybe it stopped? IMHO, unless it says complimentary session on the screen, don't expect to get free juice. If it does, just plug right in and it'll start. Shortly after to plug in, a blue screen beginning with this text will come up:
"Welcome, Free

This session is complimentary, courtesy of Electrify America. Final receipt will reflect actual savings."

Do NOT use your CC, EA app or anything.

I uploaded some pics at https://imgur.com/a/wVq1frj. The 41 kWh free session at ~11 pm was from Friday night. The pic w/complimentary session at 5:36 pm was from today (Sunday), as an example.

I told the gen 1 Leaf driver who showed up about it being free. He plugged right in and while he was there I pressed continue and and maybe no receipt. It had started by that point. He didn't use any app or CC.

Energy is measured in kWh, not "kw", I suspect your charging rate was above 40 kW but you received ~2 kWh of energy. Since you paid, you may have a received an email receipt like this (w/some info redacted). This was from when in my area, EA was still charging by time.
Thank you for charging with Electrify America.
08/11/2020 08:51:57 PM
Connector #2
Total paid: $0.93
Charging pricing: $0.00 + $0.18/minute (pre-tax)
Charging cost: $0.93
Discount: $ 0.00
Idling: $0.00 ($0.40/min)
Sales tax (0%): $ 0.00
End state of charge: 53%

Energy delivered: 4.6 kWh
Max charging rate: 55.27 kW
Charging time: 00:05:09
Grace period: 00:07 min
Paid idle time: 00:00
I cut it off at that point since my Bolt began tapering to ~37 kW at that point.

I didn't bother w/having it email me a receipt for my free charges as I'd would've needed to type it on on their touch screen.

In their app, under Account > Charge history, it might also say. It is empty for me since I didn't use the app for free sessions and they don't display very old sessions.

Those photos were helpful. I stopped by a different EA and sure enough nothing like that. No free session for me. Plugging in did nothing just waiting for credit card or app activation.

salyavin said:
Those photos were helpful. I stopped by a different EA and sure enough nothing like that. No free session for me. Plugging in did nothing just waiting for credit card or app activation.

Yep, none for me either. I saw several pix online of people who got free sessions a while back and it says the charge is free before you plug in

All the DC FCs I was at were still free on Monday night. The J1772 EVSE wasn't though. In some of the earlier complimentary days (but not early March), the J1772 EVSE also said complimentary.

I pinged the Bolt + Taycan guy. He said he'd charged his Taycan (today?) in Gilroy and he didn't see complimentary. He brought his Bolt to the EA site I was at confirmed he's charging it for free.

Back