ABG:EV charging is not cost competitive at retail stations, says Phillips 66

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GRA said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:
mass consumer buy-in
BEVs are different, not "normal", and some of those differences are very positive.
We're agreed that mass consumer buy-in of BEVs is at least one (car) generation away, until they come closer to meeting people's requirements. That will take better, cheaper, longer-lasting batteries and a lot more charging infrastructure.

We disagree that the goal is abrupt change rather than gradual change. Lasting change happens "Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly.” While we have been having this discussion, BEVs have gone from 0.1% of the market to 2% of the market. I'm interested in getting 4%, then 8% and so on. You want to see abrupt mass adoption. Abrupt is only possible with a command economy, and there are lots of drawbacks to a command economy.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
Sure, if I was commanding what cars were available, PHEVs would make more sense. And I'll recommend PHEVs to anyone that fits the following profile:
1) Could drive mostly in AER
2) Long drives to anywhere without infrastructure. Or lots of long drives.
Notice that I would not recommend a PHEV to you. Or a BEV for that matter. Not enough AER use.

We agree on whose needs are best matched by a PHEV.

I should add one item to the profile.
3) Accepts complexity. A PHEV is both a plug-in and a gasoline burner, not simple to manage. Typical of early adopter.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
Persuasion is different than command. Rather than saying it will hurt less to switch to a PHEV, I think pointing out the really nice features of a BEV puts more butts in seats. And BEV drivers are loyal to BEVs. Sure, some discover that infrastructure makes a BEV impractical for them, and switch back to a PHEV or evan an ICE. Sure, this requires a more complex view of the market than just "mass market". It accepts that change is gradual, not sudden.

I have Trump loving truck driving relatives. I can talk to them about EVs, show them videos of White Zombie, NIO EP9 tearing up the Green Hell, the electric mustang taking on the Texas mile, and even talk about EV semi trailer trucks lower maintenance costs and both advantages and drawbacks. I can't think of a single way to talk about PHEVs. Suggestions??
Lower price, performance, go anywhere without the hassle of BEVs, pretty much the points I've previously mentioned.

A PHEV will always cost more than an ICE. Subsidies matter most here, all of the PHEV battery qualifies, unlike a BEV where the subsidy only covers a small fraction of the battery size.

Performance PHEV? Eh, no. HEV can have a performance edge... the fastest car around Nordschleife was a Porshe HEV. But no gain for making the battery plug-in.
Porsche 919 Hybrid EVO, current number 2 is a BEV Volkswagen ID.R.

A PHEV mostly running as a HEV might be fairly fast, see (future but likely) AMG GT73 PHEV. Start with a 630 hp ICE, add 200 hp of electric power and a rumored sub 10 mile AER. Basically a HEV. Oh, and not cheap.

Oh, and talk about trucks. No cost advantage to a PHEV for a truck. Lots of advantage (maintenance, availability and fuel) to a BEV local or regional delivery truck, range of 100 miles to 400 miles, depending on route. Cousin talks to me about EV trucks and likely future batteries, because I'm an EV guy.

GRA said:
There's also a need to alter the perks and reduce or eliminate subsidies for all ZEVs, which would boost the economic argument for PHEVs vs. BEVs.

Say what? PHEVs get a subsidy on all of their tiny battery. Eliminate the subsidy, and HEVs and BEVs look more attractive.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
Of the top ten worldwide sellers, only two are PHEVs:
If you've been reading the general EV sales topic, you'll notice that over the last few months PHEV sales have been greater than BEV sales in most European countries. While it's too early to be sure of the reasons, my guess is that the early adopters have bought their BEVs, and now more mainstream customers are making the more rational choice for PHEVs. Whatever the reason, it does show that PHEVs can sell.

PHEVs get a subsidy on all of their tiny battery. Eliminate the subsidy, and HEVs and BEVs look more attractive.

GRA said:
but IMO even better would be to eliminate {subsidies} altogether. That would automatically drive a higher share of PEV sales to PHEVs (until BEV prices come down),

A PHEV is attractive relative to BEVs because of the subsidies.

100% of the PHEV battery is usually subsidized. On a fraction of a BEV's battery is subsidized. 18kWh maximum.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:
BEVs are different, not "normal", and some of those differences are very positive.
We're agreed that mass consumer buy-in of BEVs is at least one (car) generation away, until they come closer to meeting people's requirements. That will take better, cheaper, longer-lasting batteries and a lot more charging infrastructure.

We disagree that the goal is abrupt change rather than gradual change. Lasting change happens "Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly.” While we have been having this discussion, BEVs have gone from 0.1% of the market to 2% of the market. I'm interested in getting 4%, then 8% and so on. You want to see abrupt mass adoption. Abrupt is only possible with a command economy, and there are lots of drawbacks to a command economy.

I'm not expecting abrupt mass adoption, but we need a significant speeding up of the pace. It's taken ten years for BEVs to get to 1.8% sales share of a pandemic-skewed market. I think we need to be at 50% PEV share NLT than 2030, with new cars ZEV only after 2035 (California goal) or 2040 at the latest. Do you think BEV sales without mandates will show a doubling rate sufficient to get us there in the needed time, especially when you remember that annual U.S. PEV sales dropped about 10% from 2018 (IEVS: 361,307) to 2019 (329,528)?

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:
Sure, if I was commanding what cars were available, PHEVs would make more sense. And I'll recommend PHEVs to anyone that fits the following profile:

1) Could drive mostly in AER
2) Long drives to anywhere without infrastructure. Or lots of long drives.
Notice that I would not recommend a PHEV to you. Or a BEV for that matter. Not enough AER use.

3) Accepts complexity. A PHEV is both a plug-in and a gasoline burner, not simple to manage. Typical of early adopter.

I disagree. People coming from ICEs are used to them, and Li-ion batteries add almost no complexity. Besides, there are millions of HEVs running around - PHEVs are no more complex than they are, and because their ICEs are going to see a lot less use and, assuming the owners use them intelligently (battery- only for surface streets and stop-and-go freeway), the hours the ICEs are run will be much less stressful. Is there anyone who thinks that a Prius is likely to require more maintenance than a Tesla?

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:
Persuasion is different than command. Rather than saying it will hurt less to switch to a PHEV, I think pointing out the really nice features of a BEV puts more butts in seats. And BEV drivers are loyal to BEVs. Sure, some discover that infrastructure makes a BEV impractical for them, and switch back to a PHEV or evan an ICE. Sure, this requires a more complex view of the market than just "mass market". It accepts that change is gradual, not sudden.

I have Trump loving truck driving relatives. I can talk to them about EVs, show them videos of White Zombie, NIO EP9 tearing up the Green Hell, the electric mustang taking on the Texas mile, and even talk about EV semi trailer trucks lower maintenance costs and both advantages and drawbacks. I can't think of a single way to talk about PHEVs. Suggestions??

Lower price, performance, go anywhere without the hassle of BEVs, pretty much the points I've previously mentioned.

A PHEV will always cost more than an ICE. Subsidies matter most here, all of the PHEV battery qualifies, unlike a BEV where the subsidy only covers a small fraction of the battery size.#

Yes, PHEVs will cost more than pure ICEs and HEVs which is why we need to make the perks sufficiently valuable, e.g. HOV access, ZEV-only zones, reduced-price parking etc. Or we could just impose a sufficiently high carbon tax, but I don't see that happening in the current Congress or likely the next,whoever has control.

WetEV said:
Performance PHEV? Eh, no. HEV can have a performance edge... the fastest car around Nordschleife was a Porshe HEV. But no gain for making the battery plug-in.

A PHEV mostly running as a HEV might be fairly fast, see (future but likely) AMG GT73 PHEV. Start with a 630 hp ICE, add 200 hp of electric power and a rumored sub 10 mile AER. Basically a HEV. Oh, and not cheap.

5.9 sec. 0-60 RAV4 Prime, the second fastest car Toyota makes. You can design a PHEV around whatever priorities you want. Of course, such speeds are unneeded in normal driving, but there will always be people willing to pay whatever it takes so that they can brag that there S-Plaid+ can do 0-60 in 1.99 sec. instead of the boring 2.3 sec. or whatever it is of the pedestrian S Plaid.

WetEV said:
Oh, and talk about trucks. No cost advantage to a PHEV for a truck. Lots of advantage (maintenance, availability and fuel) to a BEV local or regional delivery truck, range of 100 miles to 400 miles, depending on route. Cousin talks to me about EV trucks and likely future batteries, because I'm an EV guy.

No advantage? Od course there is, as the range requirement with a given payload increases compared to a BEV. For local P&D and short to mid-range distribution where weight isn't an issue, BEV trucks are the obvious choice. For long-haul, HEVs and then fuel cells. But for a PHEV pickup, payload, range, and energy for power tools.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
There's also a need to alter the perks and reduce or eliminate subsidies for all ZEVs, which would boost the economic argument for PHEVs vs. BEVs.

Say what? PHEVs get a subsidy on all of their tiny battery. Eliminate the subsidy, and HEVs and BEVs look more attractive.

See perks. But let's compare. You've got an e-tron, which has an MSRP of $65,900. The RAV4 Prime's $38,100. Admittedly, these are aimed at different market segments, but which do you think has a bigger potential market without subsidies? How much gas would you be burning if you had a Prime, and how long would it take you to work off the $27,800 price difference, sans subsidies?

I've previously listed the Niro PHEV and BEV prices, which are separated by $9,500, as they are essentially the same car other than powertrain, . Without subsidies, which will have a bigger market?

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:
Of the top ten worldwide sellers, only two are PHEVs:

If you've been reading the general EV sales topic, you'll notice that over the last few months PHEV sales have been greater than BEV sales in most European countries. While it's too early to be sure of the reasons, my guess is that the early adopters have bought their BEVs, and now more mainstream customers are making the more rational choice for PHEVs. Whatever the reason, it does show that PHEVs can sell.

PHEVs get a subsidy on all of their tiny battery. Eliminate the subsidy, and HEVs and BEVs look more attractive.

See above for refutation.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
but IMO even better would be to eliminate {subsidies} altogether. That would automatically drive a higher share of PEV sales to PHEVs (until BEV prices come down),

A PHEV is attractive relative to BEVs because of the subsidies.

100% of the PHEV battery is usually subsidized. On a fraction of a BEV's battery is subsidized. 18kWh maximum.

See my immediately preceding post.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
I'm not expecting abrupt mass adoption, but we need a significant speeding up of the pace.

Put one grain of rice on the first square of a chessboard, two on the second, four on the next and so on. Gradual pace... but eventually fills any container at any rate you might consider. "Gradually, then suddenly.” Exponents look slow at first. Then they don't.

GRA said:
It's taken ten years for BEVs to get to 1.8% sales share of a pandemic-skewed market. I think we need to be at 50% PEV share NLT than 2030, with new cars ZEV only after 2035 (California goal) or 2040 at the latest. Do you think BEV sales without mandates will show a doubling rate sufficient to get us there in the needed time, especially when you remember that annual U.S. PEV sales dropped about 10% from 2018 (IEVS: 361,307) to 2019 (329,528)?

An exponent, not a linear rate. What was the past doubling rate? See chessboard above.

100% isn't a realistic goal, corner cases will take many decades more. The real world has 'noise', like depressions and pandemics that will not match any pretty curve you might draw. And new limits will arise for the last 50%, the last 10%, the last 1%, the last 0.1%, the last 0.01%. Exponents have ends.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:
I disagree. People coming from ICEs are used to them, and Li-ion batteries add almost no complexity. Besides, there are millions of HEVs running around - PHEVs are no more complex than they are, and because their ICEs are going to see a lot less use and, assuming the owners use them intelligently (battery- only for surface streets and stop-and-go freeway), the hours the ICEs are run will be much less stressful. Is there anyone who thinks that a Prius is likely to require more maintenance than a Tesla?

If you drive it like just like an ICE, a PHEV is just like an ICE. That seems more common than not.

A LEAF needs less maintenance than a Prius. A Tesla is a high performance monster, compare with maintenance for a Porsche. Apple, meet Orange.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:
A PHEV will always cost more than an ICE. Subsidies matter most here, all of the PHEV battery qualifies, unlike a BEV where the subsidy only covers a small fraction of the battery size.#
Yes, PHEVs will cost more than pure ICEs and HEVs which is why we need to make the perks sufficiently valuable,

Consider what might have happened with no perks, no mandates and no subsidies. EVs have long had an advantage at the very high end of the market. Even with no perks, something like the Tesla Model S (or the Porsche Taycan or the e-tron or the Ford Mach-E or ...) was going to happen, sooner or later. Batteries just keep getting better, the BEV advantage keeps growing. Quiet, smooth, clean, reliable and quick are marketable... and someone sooner or later would get one or more of these to market. Sure, first at crazy price level of custom cars. But then moving down market steadily. When the selling price of an economy electric is less than that of an economy gas car, then the gas car is dead.

Even Nissan had a shot, starting with the LEAF.

GRA said:
a sufficiently high carbon tax, but I don't see that happening in the current Congress or likely the next,whoever has control.

As many have pointed out decades ago, it is too early for a carbon tax. Consider one goal, minimizing the size and cost of government while reducing CO2 release at the economically optimal rate, considering both the cost of reduction and the total cost of releases. A subsidy works better when the alternative technology is less than 50% of the market.

A Pigovian tax, which should equal the "non-economic externality" cost, is less efficient than a Pigovian subsidy that also equals the cost, when the clean alternative is much smaller than the polluting.

GRA said:
WetEV said:

5.9 sec. 0-60 RAV4 Prime, the second fastest car Toyota makes. You can design a PHEV around whatever priorities you want.

Toyota isn't a great example of fast, not their niche. If you design a PHEV for fast, it would look a lot like that AMG. There are limits to technology.

GRA said:
WetEV said:

No advantage? Od course there is, as the range requirement with a given payload increases compared to a BEV. For local P&D and short to mid-range distribution where weight isn't an issue, BEV trucks are the obvious choice. For long-haul, HEVs and then fuel cells. But for a PHEV pickup, payload, range, and energy for power tools.

Trucks, not pickups. HEV doesn't work well in long haul trucks. Not enough fuel economy gain for the additional cost. PHEVs even less point. Fuel cells not a starter. And BEV economic advantage is local only... but that's a big fraction of the business. Long haul BEVs might never make sense. Alternatives for long haul? A problem decades in the future.

Take the "save money" bypass from the culture wars.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
See perks. But let's compare. You've got an e-tron, which has an MSRP of $65,900. The RAV4 Prime's $38,100. Admittedly, these are aimed at different market segments, but which do you think has a bigger potential market without subsidies?

Hamburger has a larger sales potential than NY strip. Who would have thought? So? Apple, meet Orange.

GRA said:
How much gas would you be burning if you had a Prime, and how long would it take you to work off the $27,800 price difference, sans subsidies?

A better comparison would be to my LEAF. Negative price difference, all gasoline savings, zero time to pay off.

GRA said:
I've previously listed the Niro PHEV and BEV prices, which are separated by $9,500, as they are essentially the same car other than powertrain, . Without subsidies, which will have a bigger market?

List price is not equal to cost. Mandates and subsidies need to be considered, for one. List price does not tell you what you can actually buy the car for. And so on.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:
I'm not expecting abrupt mass adoption, but we need a significant speeding up of the pace.

Put one grain of rice on the first square of a chessboard, two on the second, four on the next and so on. Gradual pace... but eventually fills any container at any rate you might consider. "Gradually, then suddenly.” Exponents look slow at first. Then they don't.

As noted, we haven't been seeing exponential growth here, in fact it went backwards. We'll see what happens this and more importantly next year.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
It's taken ten years for BEVs to get to 1.8% sales share of a pandemic-skewed market. I think we need to be at 50% PEV share NLT than 2030, with new cars ZEV only after 2035 (California goal) or 2040 at the latest. Do you think BEV sales without mandates will show a doubling rate sufficient to get us there in the needed time, especially when you remember that annual U.S. PEV sales dropped about 10% from 2018 (IEVS: 361,307) to 2019 (329,528)?

An exponent, not a linear rate. What was the past doubling rate? See chessboard above.

100% isn't a realistic goal, corner cases will take many decades more. The real world has 'noise', like depressions and pandemics that will not match any pretty curve you might draw. And new limits will arise for the last 50%, the last 10%, the last 1%, the last 0.1%, the last 0.01%. Exponents have ends.

You didn't answer my question about whether you thought the doubling rate sans mandates would be fast enough to get us where we need to be in time. I'm not suggesting that 100% new LDV sales are ZEV from 2035 will happen naturally, it will have to be mandated. Just as there are people who won't voluntarily get vaccinated no matter how much sense it makes, there are people who won't voluntarily buy a ZEV. They will continue to buy and drive the remaining ICEs post-2035 (or whichever year they're banned) Those numbers will dwindle naturally over time. A ban in 2035 should see remaining ICEs below 10% and maybe 5% of the fleet by 2050. If carbon taxes on fuel are also imposed the % should be even lower by then.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:

I disagree. People coming from ICEs are used to them, and Li-ion batteries add almost no complexity. Besides, there are millions of HEVs running around - PHEVs are no more complex than they are, and because their ICEs are going to see a lot less use and, assuming the owners use them intelligently (battery-only for surface streets and stop-and-go freeway), the hours the ICEs are run will be much less stressful. Is there anyone who thinks that a Prius is likely to require more maintenance than a Tesla?

If you drive it like just like an ICE, a PHEV is just like an ICE. That seems more common than not.

Which is why I said you need to have perks that incentivize people to drive on the battery as much as possible.

WetEV said:
A LEAF needs less maintenance than a Prius. A Tesla is a high performance monster, compare with maintenance for a Porsche. Apple, meet Orange.[)quote]

But the mainstream buyer we're trying to convert isn't coming from a LEAF, they're coming from an ICE or an HEV.
They've probably never heard of a LEAF, and aren't willing to take a chance on it or any other BEV if they have.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
Yes, PHEVs will cost more than pure ICEs and HEVs which is why we need to make the perks sufficiently valuable,

Consider what might have happened with no perks, no mandates and no subsidies. EVs have long had an advantage at the very high end of the market. Even with no perks, something like the Tesla Model S (or the Porsche Taycan or the e-tron or the Ford Mach-E or ...) was going to happen, sooner or later. Batteries just keep getting better, the BEV advantage keeps growing. Quiet, smooth, clean, reliable and quick are marketable... and someone sooner or later would get one or more of these to market. Sure, first at crazy price level of custom cars. But then moving down market steadily. When the selling price of an economy electric is less than that of an economy gas car, then the gas car is dead.]

Even Nissan had a shot, starting with the LEAF.[/quote

Sure, when BEVs achieve the price, capability and longevity demanded. I've said as much many times, including in this thread. But we aren't there yet, and only PHEVs are currently suitable for the mass market without subsidies.

You make my point about subsidies not being needed at the high end. If you insist on subsidies, let's stop giving them to cars and instead put the money into charging infrastructure, because until that's available the mass market isn't going to switch.

WetEV said:
As many have pointed out decades ago, it is too early for a carbon tax. Consider one goal, minimizing the size and cost of government while reducing CO2 release at the economically optimal rate, considering both the cost of reduction and the total cost of releases. A subsidy works better when the alternative technology is less than 50% of the market.

A Pigovian tax, which should equal the "non-economic externality" cost, is less efficient than a Pigovian subsidy that also equals the cost, when the clean alternative is much smaller than the polluting.

We disagree. I believe that we need both carrots and sticks.

WetEV said:
Toyota isn't a great example of fast, not their niche. If you design a PHEV for fast, it would look a lot like that AMG. There are limits to technology.

Of course there are limits, the question is are the limits significant for the typical user? No. Do you think the AWD ID.4 is going to be faster than the RAV4 Prime? Does it matter? They're aimed at the same market, have the same power but the VW is 300 lb. heavier, and it's going to be thousands of dollars more expensive. Feel/handling etc. issues aside, unless you're a super- or mega-commuter or are ideologically motivated, is there any rational reason to pick the ID.4 over the RAV4?

WetEV said:
Trucks, not pickups. HEV doesn't work well in long haul trucks. Not enough fuel economy gain for the additional cost. PHEVs even less point. Fuel cells not a starter. And BEV economic advantage is local only... but that's a big fraction of the business. Long haul BEVs might never make sense. Alternatives for long haul? A problem decades in the future.

Take the "save money" bypass from the culture wars.

FCEVs are pretty clearly going to be the eventual long-haul choice, absent liquid bio- or synfuel. There's billions being spent to build the infrastructure for them, as well as develop the trucks themselves, reduce the costs of green H2 etc. Leaving aside Nikola, who just signed a deal with an AZ utility to buy electricity at either 2.5 or 2.7¢ (sources differ) for electrolysis, you've got big companies like Daimler, Volvo, IVECO, Bosch all developing the trucks and powertrains, major utilities and countries making plans for and spending money for green H2 production, infrastructure and export, etc. But that's OT, and we can and have argued that many times elsewhere, so no need to do it here.

WetEV said:
Hamburger has a larger sales potential than NY strip. Who would have thought? So? Apple, meet Orange.

Which is why I included the Niro comparison, or feel free to do the RAV4/ID.4 comparo I mentioned above.

WetEV said:
A better comparison would be to my LEAF. Negative price difference, all gasoline savings, zero time to pay off.

The difference being that you wouldn't also need an e-tron, as the RAV4 would take you anywhere you need to go. But a better comparison for the LEAF would be the Niro PHEV or the Prius Prime, where the LEAF costs thousands more up front. Or, as mentioned above, just do the Niro comparison - no mixed fruit there.

WetEV said:
List price is not equal to cost. Mandates and subsidies need to be considered, for one. List price does not tell you what you can actually buy the car for. And so on.

No, no, you don't get to consider subsidies, or what kind of deal you can get from the sleazes at the dealership. My whole point is to get rid of subsidies to make the market act more rationally. Once again, Niro PHEV vs. BEV?

As someone commented today at GCC on the article announcing the Hyundai Tucson PHEV, "PHEV. The best of both worlds for me. Cheaper than EV. Home/solar charging for local miles. Gas infrastructure for road trips." That's the kind if sales argument that needs to be made for PHEVs, along with cost of electricity and perks (adjusted as I've mentioned).

GRA said:
WetEV said:
As noted, we haven't been seeing exponential growth here, in fact it went backwards. We'll see what happens this and more importantly next year.

Enough magnification, and everything is quantum fluctuation. Start with a wide view. Exponential fit to global EV market has a R^2 of 0.919, or roughly 8% isn't exponential. A fairly good fit to the curve.

When it go backwards? Not globally.

On your block? For sure. Oakland, you betcha. California, I'd agree. USA? Ah, yes. USA did go backwards one year. EU expanded subsidies and mandates, and where did the EVs get shipped to? Where the subsidies and mandates were. Why would that be???

Exponential fit of the USA has an R^2 of .738. Or 26% isn't exponential. That's not a very good fit.

I'd bet that California has an even worse exponential fit. And Oakland's is worse still. And your block in Oakland is the worse. Zoom in enough, and everything is quantum fluctuation. Proving nothing.

https://www.iea.org/data-and-statistics/charts/global-electric-car-sales-by-key-markets-2015-2020

GRA said:
You didn't answer my question about whether you thought the doubling rate sans mandates would be fast enough to get us where we need to be in time.

Mandates or no mandates, manufacturing can only ramp up so fast. Mandates or no mandates, people change only so fast.

Broader picture view, EVs are not the biggest problem. Take a broader view.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:

Enough magnification, and everything is quantum fluctuation. Start with a wide view. Exponential fit to global EV market has a R^2 of 0.919, or roughly 8% isn't exponential. A fairly good fit to the curve.

When it go backwards? Not globally.

On your block? For sure. Oakland, you betcha. California, I'd agree. USA? Ah, yes. USA did go backwards one year. EU expanded subsidies and mandates, and where did the EVs get shipped to? Where the subsidies and mandates were. Why would that be???

Exponential fit of the USA has an R^2 of .738. Or 26% isn't exponential. That's not a very good fit.

I'd bet that California has an even worse exponential fit. And Oakland's is worse still. And your block in Oakland is the worse. Zoom in enough, and everything is quantum fluctuation. Proving nothing.

https://www.iea.org/data-and-statistics/charts/global-electric-car-sales-by-key-markets-2015-2020

Uh, I haven't lived in Oakland since 1993, so I'm not sure where you're getting that, and where I live I see lots of PEVs. IIRR, the Bay Area has the highest % PEV sales rate in the country, last I saw 6.8% IIRC. And of course manufacturers are going to move product to the markets with the greatest subsidies and mandates, which just re-emphasizes how didtorting the subsidies subsidies are, as they typically emphasize buying the largest possible battery pack regardless of how much of that you actually use.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
You didn't answer my question about whether you thought the doubling rate sans mandates would be fast enough to get us where we need to be in time.

Mandates or no mandates, manufacturing can only ramp up so fast. Mandates or no mandates, people change only so fast.

Oh, I'm taking the broadest possible view, by wanting to see the greatest reduction in GHGs at the lowest cost in the least amount of time. Battery manufacture is the current production holdup, so it's far better to build 7 Niro PHEVs rather than 1 Niro BEV, and more people can afford them.

BTW, the UK government apparently agrees with me, as does Tesla (partly) - see https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30678&p=600991#p600991

From the BBC article:

Transport minister Rachel Maclean said: "We want as many people as possible to be able to make the switch to electric vehicles."

"The increasing choice of new vehicles, growing demand from customers, and rapidly rising number of ChargePoints means that while the level of funding remains as high as ever, given soaring demand, we are re-focusing our vehicle grants on the more affordable zero emission vehicles. . . ."

and

With the government now planning to ban the sale of new non-hybrid petrol and diesel cars from 2030, it seems to be relying less on incentives and more on compulsion to bring about change.

Less carrot and more stick

That article also notes that charging points are falling behind demand, and that they will likely be the holdup to the transition, the same point I was making when suggesting that subsidies should be switched to building charging stations instead of buying cars.

As the GCR article I also linked in that post says, Tesla wanted to see gas taxes and ICE purchase fees hiked there. Of course, they also wanted to eat their cake as well as have it, using the extra money to boost subsidies even higher.

Now, about that Niro PHEV vs. BEV question, are you going to answer it or keep ducking?

GRA said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:

Uh, I haven't lived in Oakland since 1993, so I'm not sure where you're getting that, and where I live I see lots of PEVs. IIRR, the Bay Area has the highest % PEV sales rate in the country, last I saw 6.8% IIRC. And of course manufacturers are going to move product to the markets with the greatest subsidies and mandates, which just re-emphasizes how didtorting the subsidies subsidies are, as they typically emphasize buying the largest possible battery pack regardless of how much of that you actually use.

I see no comment on that we are seeing exponential growth there.

We are seeing exponential growth here.

The world is seeing exponential growth in EV sales.

Oakland is a distraction.

The subsidies and mandates almost surely started the EV explosion faster, and do move the sales around, but the explosion was likely to happen in any case.

An EV as a daily driver is just better.

Did you catch that Worldwide EV sales have been growing exponentially?

GRA said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:

Oh, I'm taking the broadest possible view, by wanting to see the greatest reduction in GHGs at the lowest cost in the least amount of time. Battery manufacture is the current production holdup, so it's far better to build 7 Niro PHEVs rather than 1 Niro BEV, and more people can afford them.

In a pure command economy, I would agree. And HEVs would be even better, and weak hybrids should have been universal decades ago.

PHEVs, in spite of getting nearly the same subsidy as an EV, just have not been selling seven times better. Demand side, not supply side.

Why? Well, for one thing, as an EV they are underwhelming. Most get driven like they were an HEV, or never plugged in.

In terms of GHG, vehicles are not the big problem. EVs are a solution we have. Low to negative cost, for at least the first 90% or so, if we wait out the exponent underway. Subsidies and mandates will speed the process, and are largely Pigovian subsidies. We subsidize gas cars by letting them dump toxic gases as well as greenhouse gases into the air we all breath. We should either tax the emissions or subsidize the alternatives. Depending on which is easier to do. Sure, some edge cases where EVs are less appealing. Sure, something else might be needed for the edge cases.

There are other areas like farming and manufacturing with breakthroughs needed. What are the big problems that needs a solution?

GRA said:
Now, about that Niro PHEV vs. BEV question, are you going to answer it or keep ducking?
Given my driving pattern, I'd buy the BEV, it's better even if a higher initial cost. Given your driving pattern, I'd suggest the HEV. Someone else, something else, perhaps the PHEV. Customer centered answer, not a command economy.

I just noticed you messed up quoting again.

GRA said:
But we aren't there yet, and only PHEVs are currently suitable for the mass market without subsidies.

Amusing. PHEVs have almost the same subsidy as a BEV, and sales are underwhelming. Why?

GRA said:
Feel/handling etc. issues aside, unless you're a super- or mega-commuter or are ideologically motivated, is there any rational reason to pick the ID.4 over the RAV4?

Other than that, how did you like the play, Mrs Lincoln?

Remember again, exponential growth means that BEVs need to be the choice of 4% of buyers over the next couple of years. So I suspect the ID.4 will be enough nicer to drive than the RAV4 to sell enough. I've driven a RAV4 for a few days. Couldn't wait to return it.

8% will be next. Instant mass market isn't realistic.

GRA said:
FCEVs are pretty clearly going to be the eventual long-haul choice, absent liquid bio- or synfuel.

Maybe. Long-haul is one of those corner cases. Hydrogen is an expensive solution, and there are possible alternatives that might be lower cost, such as synfuels, or even better BEVs.

GRA said:
WetEV said:

In a pure command economy, I would agree. And HEVs would be even better, and weak hybrids should have been universal decades ago.

PHEVs, in spite of getting nearly the same subsidy as an EV, just have not been selling seven times better. Demand side, not supply side.

Why? Well, for one thing, as an EV they are underwhelming. Most get driven like they were an HEV, never plugged in.

In terms of GHG, vehicles are not the big problem. EVs are a solution we have. Low to negative cost, for at least the first 90% or so, if we wait out the exponent underway. Subsidies and mandates will speed the process, and are largely Pigovian subsidies. We subsidize gas cars by letting them dump toxic gases as well as greenhouse gases into the air we all breath. We should either tax the emissions or subsidize the alternatives. Depending on which is easier to do. Sure, some edge cases where EVs are less appealing. Sure, something else might be needed for the edge cases.

There are other areas like farming and manufacturing with breakthroughs needed. What are the big problems that need a solution?

GRA said:
Given my driving pattern, I'd buy the BEV, it's better even if a higher initial cost. Given your driving pattern, I'd suggest the HEV. Someone else, something else, perhaps the PHEV. Customer centered answer, not a command economy.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:

Except that we're not here for the past two years. Ignoring 2020 we're still not. We'll see what happens this and next year.

WetEV said:

Sure, driven by subsidies and mandates, especially in China.

WetEV said:
Oakland is a distraction.

Actually an irrelevance which is why I wondered why you mentioned it.

WetEV said:
The subsidies and mandates almost surely started the EV explosion faster, and do move the sales around, but the explosion was likely to happen in any case.

See above, which merely confirms my assertion that PEV sales remain dependent on subsidies and mandates rather than natural demand.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
WetEV said:

Don't forget the distorting effect of subsidies, as well as the fact we're just starting to emerge (in some markets) from the early adopter phase. Add to that mandates which give manufacturers the same emission credits for expensive cars as well as less expensive ones, and the fact that luxury cars have a higher profit margin than mass-market cars, and it's hardly a surprise that manufacturers put their effort into the high rather than low end of the market.

WetEV said:
Why? Well, for one thing, as an EV they are underwhelming. Most get driven like they were an HEV, or never plugged in.

Which is why you need to alter subsidies (if you insist on keeping them) to incentivize electric miles. I've already mentioned that company PHEVs get reimbursed for gas but not home electricity. That needs to change. My suggestion to alter HOV/HOT access and tolls to require electric running is another.

WetEV said:
In terms of GHG, vehicles are not the big problem.

Say what?!!? In California, transport comprises 41% of GHG emissions, the largest single category (industry is next, at 24%). Admittedly, California has a pretty clean grid which is getting cleaner all the time, and we no longer have a lot of heavy industry so our percentage of GHGs due to transport is higher than the U.S. average, 28% in 2018, still the largest component, and with LDVs making up 59% of that. So, to say that "vehicles are not the big problem" is without basis in fact.

WetEV said:
EVs are a solution we have. Low to negative cost, for at least the first 90% or so, if we wait out the exponent underway. Subsidies and mandates will speed the process, and are largely Pigovian subsidies. We subsidize gas cars by letting them dump toxic gases as well as greenhouse gases into the air we all breath. We should either tax the emissions or subsidize the alternatives. Depending on which is easier to do. Sure, some edge cases where EVs are less appealing. Sure, something else might be needed for the edge cases.

There are other areas like farming and manufacturing with breakthroughs needed. What are the big problems that needs a solution?

For the U.S., transport is #1 @ 28%; electricity generation (27%); industry ( a large part of which is steel and cement production) 22%; agriculture 10%)?; commercial 7%; residential 6%. https://www.epa.gov/greenvehicles/fast-facts-transportation-greenhouse-gas-emissions

WetEV said:
GRA said:

You must have one helluva daily commute if you can come out ahead sans subsidies during the time you own the car. And you put a low value on your free time on roadtrips. Admittedly, you've said you're forced to stop (before you would choose to do so yourself?) to meet your wife's needs, so that may be true for your specific situation, just as an HEV may be best for mine, but the vast majority of drivers aren't at either extreme - their average daily mileage is about 40 miles, most or all of which could be electric in a PHEV given charging, and appropriate incentives to make it a financially rational choice.

WetEV said:
I just noticed you messed up quoting again.

GRA said:
But we aren't there yet, and only PHEVs are currently suitable for the mass market without subsidies.

Amusing. PHEVs have almost the same subsidy as a BEV, and sales are underwhelming. Why?

Because, as mentioned in previous posts, the incentive structure is wrong. Assuming subsidies are to continue, I've long been advocating a soft price cap for subsidies, designed to encourage PEV sales to mass market consumers while making luxury buyers pay full freight. Right now, I'd probably recommend a price cap of say $35k out-the-door, less any government taxes and fees. That's to prevent $500 "doc" fees and similar sleaze. Every dollar over that, each individual subsidy reduces by a dollar. Every two or three years the cap drops by $1k. This gives manufacturers an incentive to build and price cars for the mass market, and moves most buyers from BEVs to PHEVs, which are a better fit for most drivers right now in any case.

Ideally, I'd like to see a company like Hyundai/Kia run an ad campaign highlighting the relative advantages of the HEV/PHEV/BEV versions of the Kona and Niro for drivers with different needs. So far, the ads for PHEVs haven't done a good job of explaining why they make sense, or to whom. I think the comment I linked in an earlier post from a GCC article about the Tucson PHEV is a good start.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
Feel/handling etc. issues aside, unless you're a super- or mega-commuter or are ideologically motivated, is there any rational reason to pick the ID.4 over the RAV4?

Other than that, how did you like the play, Mrs Lincoln?

Remember again, exponential growth means that BEVs need to be the choice of 4% of buyers over the next couple of years. So I suspect the ID.4 will be enough nicer to drive than the RAV4 to sell enough. I've driven a RAV4 for a few days. Couldn't wait to return it.

But you haven't driven the Prime, which is a very different beast than the HEV according to reviews. I'm not a big fan of CVTs generally and prefer a multi-speed transmission (my first preference being a stick), but that's me. Unless I drive both, I won't know which I prefer, but I'm definitely not a fan of the ID.4's weight, which makes it far less agile on the kinds of roads I like to drive quickly on, not to mention that all that excess weight makes the car less efficient all the time, but especially in urban and stop-and-go use, i.e. commuting and local errands.

WetEV said:
8% will be next. Instant mass market isn't realistic.

Again, no one has suggested that it is, so please stop pretending that I've said or believe so.

WetEV said:
GRA said:
FCEVs are pretty clearly going to be the eventual long-haul choice, absent liquid bio- or synfuel.

Maybe. Long-haul is one of those corner cases. Hydrogen is an expensive solution, and there are possible alternatives that might be lower cost, such as synfuels, or even better BEVs.

I don't consider long-haul a corner case, considering how much of the country's freight moves that way. Liquid synfuels will only work if we can figure out how to produce them in the necessary volumes at affordable prices. At the moment we can't do either, so will have to restrict their use to commercial aviation.

Current battery capability is very far away from what's needed for long-haul, and that will be even more true once long-haul trucks go autonomous and only need to stop to replenish energy. Even if recharging times come way down, there will still be a weight penalty until such time as we see battery packs with specific energies of 1200Wh/kg and up, and that matters for dense, weight-critical loads like liquids, powders, ores and ingots/castings/forgings.

By process of elimination that leaves H2 and derivatives as the sole ZEV or at least net-zero carbon fuel for long-haul trucks, trains and ships, whether liquid or in the form of ammonia, methanol or what have you, and it's where the money is being spent.

GRA said:
And you put a low value on your free time on roadtrips.

Not speaking for anyone but myself, this comment misses the mark. I have found that charging the car gives me plenty of free time, albeit in a somewhat fixed location. But I am still free to read, browse the internet, go for a walk with my family, explore a new area - tons of things not just to pass time, but to fill it with meaning.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:
.... greatest subsidies and mandates, which just re-emphasizes how didtorting the subsidies subsidies are, as they typically emphasize buying the largest possible battery pack regardless of how much of that you actually use.

Except that we're not here for the past two years. Ignoring 2020 we're still not. We'll see what happens this and next year.

Subsidies in the USA stop at 18kWh. Please explain the "emphasize buying the largest possible battery pack" comment.

I just recall for how long you insisted that EVs were less than 1% of sales after the time EVs were more than 1% of sales. Doesn't fit your schema, eh?

Yes, the last two years are below the exponential trend. The last two years have been interesting, to say the least. China cut subsidies for EVs in 2019 and the pandemic in 2020. Through it all, EVs kept growing while ICE sales fell off a cliff.

Ah but what about this year?

Ford Mach-E

https://insideevs.com/news/492025/ford-mustang-mache-us-sales-february-2021/

So Ford is now about 2.3% electric.

GM has announced it will be all electric. Of course announcements are cheap, but the Hummer EV isn't. And is sold out in minutes.

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/10/gmc-hummer-ev-breaks-the-internet-edition-1-sells-out-in-approximately-ten-minutes/

GRA said:
WetEV said:
Sure, driven by subsidies and mandates, especially in China.

Do note that subsidies and mandates for non-ICE cars reduce air pollution. To counter the subsidy that an ICE gets for dumping toxic chemicals into people's lungs, EVs should be subsidized.

GRA said:
WetEV said:

See above, which merely confirms my assertion that IEV sales remain dependent on subsidies and mandates rather than natural demand.

Explain how Porsche Taycan sales have anything to do with the subsidy that will not even pay for some trim options.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
Don't forget the distorting effect of subsidies, as well as the fact we're just starting to emerge (in some markets) from the early adopter phase. Add to that mandates which give manufacturers the same emission credits for expensive cars as well as less expensive ones, and the fact that luxury cars have a higher profit margin than mass-market cars, and it's hardly a surprise that manufacturers put their effort into the high rather than low end of the market.

PHEVs are percentage wise more subsidized than EVs.

If EVs were not better to drive, then the high end of the market wouldn't be where EVs sold. Subsidies for EVs reduce the distortion of the market caused by free ICE dumping of toxic gases into your lungs.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
Which is why you need to alter subsidies (if you insist on keeping them) to incentivize electric miles.

Which doesn't change the fact that PHEVs, as EV only, are not very good to drive, at least in my experience. Small battery means small electric output, which means under powered under electric only. I don't see how you fix that.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
In terms of GHG, vehicles are not the big problem.

Say what?!!? In California, transport comprises 41% of GHG emissions, the largest single category (industry is next, at 24%). Admittedly, California has a pretty clean grid which is getting cleaner all the time, and we no longer have a lot of heavy industry so our percentage of GHGs due to transport is higher than the U.S. average, 28% in 2018, still the largest component, and with LDVs making up 59% of that. So, to say that "vehicles are not the big problem" is without basis in fact.

Consider that most, not quite all, vehicle miles are likely to be electric long before most steel or concrete is carbon free, or home heating in the northern places, or the last 10% of electric power production. And a whole long list of other issues. Vehicles are a problem that there is a negative cost solution for 90+% of... over the next 30 or 40 years.

Look forward, not backward.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
GRA said:
Because, as mentioned in previous posts, the incentive structure is wrong

As I said, amusing. PHEVs with a subsidy are not selling very well. The "mass market" doesn't agree with your opinion.

GRA said:
WetEV said:
Long-haul is one of those corner cases. Hydrogen is an expensive solution, and there are possible alternatives that might be lower cost, such as synfuels, or even better BEVs.

I don't consider long-haul a corner case, considering how much of the country's freight moves that way.

Nice subject change from personal transport to freight.

GRA said:
Liquid synfuels will only work if we can figure out how to produce them in the necessary volumes at affordable prices. At the moment we can't do either, so will have to restrict their use to commercial aviation.

Notice that hydrogen is in the same place or worse, we can't make green hydrogen at affordable prices, and hydrogen has other technical issues.

Rail, synfuels, improved batteries as well as hydrogen are all possible solutions.

GRA said:
Current battery capability is very far away from what's needed for long-haul, and that will be even more true once long-haul trucks go autonomous and only need to stop to replenish energy. Even if recharging times come way down, there will still be a weight penalty until such time as we see battery packs with specific energies of 1200Wh/kg and up, and that matters for dense, weight-critical loads like liquids, powders, ores and ingots/castings/forgings.

Does a computer care how often it needs to stop for a recharge? Perhaps the solution is smaller battery packs and more frequent charge stops, especially for dense loads.

If you assume a 400 usable mile range for an EV truck and 65 MPH speed, then the truck stops to recharge once every 6 hours. Even if you assume that it takes 2 hours to recharge, the truck is on the road 18 hours per day. If it is automatous, then you get 18 hours a day usage, compared to 12 hours a day for the usual truck driver (limited by law to 12 hours per day unless you use tandem drivers). Subtract the cost of a driver ($300-$350/day at current rates) and you get a pretty cost effective way to transport goods. Even if you assume a driver in control and he stops every 6 hours for a 2 hour recharge , he still drives for 12 hours and gets a lunch break and a siesta after 6 hours drive time. The second recharge is on his down time anyway and he starts fresh in the morning. The fuel savings and lower maintenance on the tractor are still substantial.

Back