EVgo infrastructure thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GetOffYourGas said:
Weird. In the northeast, EVgo still has their obscenely expensive rates. They charge by minute, but even charging at their max rate you are paying 50-60 cents/kWh. And sessions are limited to 45 minutes except during the night.

What are you paying? COVID rates here is 20 cents/min and I typically average 26-27 cents/kwh. I think non COVID rates are 25 cents/min so probably 32 cents a minute? I don't go much past peak power. Don't believe in overpaying ;)

Re: EVgo's COVID rates, I found our previous discussion of that at https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=588096#p588096. Interestingly, GetOffYourGas was part of that discussion.

I've still not signed up for that as I don't feel like I qualify by what they intended, as I mentioned back then.

Since that discussion, my marginal cost to charge at home has gone up. Now it's ~33.5 cents per kWh (see page 1 of https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-1.pdf) due to their insufficient baseline and me paying 1 cent extra per kWh to the city for supposedly 100% renewable sourced electricity. As such, I still avoid it.

Too bad the 19 cent/kWh DC FCs kinda near home have been broken for over two months now. The L2's (same price) there still work. There's one "24 kW" CCS DC FC at ChargePoint HQ that is set to free but it's off the network/hidden or something so you can't see it in their app or map, thus you don't know if it'll be free or working until you arrive.

cwerdna said:
Re: EVgo's COVID rates, I found our previous discussion of that at https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=588096#p588096. Interestingly, GetOffYourGas was part of that discussion.

I've still not signed up for that as I don't feel like I qualify by what they intended, as I mentioned back then.

Since that discussion, my marginal cost to charge at home has gone up. Now it's ~33.5 cents per kWh (see page 1 of https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_E-1.pdf) due to their insufficient baseline and me paying 1 cent extra per kWh to the city for supposedly 100% renewable sourced electricity. As such, I still avoid it.

Too bad the 19 cent/kWh DC FCs kinda near home have been broken for over two months now. The L2's (same price) there still work. There's one "24 kW" CCS DC FC at ChargePoint HQ that is set to free but it's off the network/hidden or something so you can't see it in their app or map, thus you don't know if it'll be free or working until you arrive.

Well, you WFH, I was labor sharing to a facility that was SLAMMED when the lockdowns hit (Amazon Fresh) and wish I could do it every year. It was a VERY lucrative 6 weeks for me. Not only was I getting free DC charging but was also getting paid over $200 a week in travel pay. Not bad for a 4 day work week. FYI; travel pay is considered business expense, not income so I got ALL of it.

https://www.plugshare.com/location/251947 had pics added today and one of the pics shows a CHAdeMO adapter (https://shop.tesla.com/product/chademo-adapter) inside the box.

During COVID, I have charged at multiple EVgo locations in both NY and VT. The member price $0.27/minute (after the $7.99 membership fee, but that's applied to your charging fee so it's a no-brainer). At peak rate, the chargers output 36kW (100A chargers). At $0.27/minute, that's $16.20 for 37kWh, or $0.45/kWh. So maybe I exaggerated a tiny bit. But in NY and VT, tax is added on top of that so it's more like $0.49/kWh after tax. But that is the absolute best price you can get. It gets far worse from there.

And regardless of what they claim, I am telling you from experience, they cut me off at 45 minutes. It's a pain to restart the session, but I've never seen someone else waiting so I just restart and keep charging.

GetOffYourGas said:
During COVID, I have charged at multiple EVgo locations in both NY and VT. The member price $0.27/minute (after the $7.99 membership fee, but that's applied to your charging fee so it's a no-brainer). At peak rate, the chargers output 36kW (100A chargers). At $0.27/minute, that's $16.20 for 37kWh, or $0.45/kWh. So maybe I exaggerated a tiny bit. But in NY and VT, tax is added on top of that so it's more like $0.49/kWh after tax. But that is the absolute best price you can get. It gets far worse from there.

And regardless of what they claim, I am telling you from experience, they cut me off at 45 minutes. It's a pain to restart the session, but I've never seen someone else waiting so I just restart and keep charging.

Ah, ok, slower chargers and higher rates. We also have PSE (Puget Sound Energy) and that is a straight 25 cents/kwh on 100/150 KW chargers.

GetOffYourGas said:
At peak rate, the chargers output 36kW (100A chargers).

Nearly all of EVgo’s previously 100A max machines have been upgraded to 125A. If you have encountered any recently that are at 100A, please reach out to EVgo support so they can investigate.

JeremyW said:
GetOffYourGas said:
At peak rate, the chargers output 36kW (100A chargers).

Nearly all of EVgo’s previously 100A max machines have been upgraded to 125A. If you have encountered any recently that are at 100A, please reach out to EVgo support so they can investigate.

I have yet to see any of the regulars that I use get upgraded to 125A. I would certainly notice that.

I will start to contact EVgo each time I come across a 100A charger. But that's going to be most times I use EVgo chargers. I try to stick to Electrify America because they are so much cheaper (EA is $0.31/kWh, EVgo is $0.45-$0.90/kWh depending on my SoC).

I guess cases like at https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=600977#p600977 are opportunities for EVgo. Video allegedly shows a clueless Model 3 driver who tries to charge at EA site (presumably w/no J1772) and can't since they don't have the CHAdeMO adapter and Tesla isn't shipping a SAE Combo adapter in the US either.

Saw new pics added to https://www.plugshare.com/location/309517. Interesting that they're using DC FCs from Delta (Taiwanese company) and Signet. I've not personally seen these styles of DC FCs before (not that I've used that many).

I stumbled across https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/interesting-evgo-charging-pricing-quirk-or-maybe-not.30469/ the other day. His observation seems correct. (I have no Bolt promo plan. TIL of it and I'm guessing it's long dead.)

As bro1999 wrote:
As most of us know, EVgo charges by the minue rather than per kWh. What I've observed (after looking through previous charging events), is that EVgo seems to ignore the seconds spent charging. For example, during a recent charging session, I charged for 28 minutes, 54 seconds and was billed $2.80 (10 cent/minute Bolt promo plan). EVgo didn't round up and bill me for the additional 54 seconds. I looked through my charging history and saw I consistently billed only for full minutes spent charging. So if possible, stop your charging session just before it rolls over to the next minute to save a few cents. And not right after it rolls over to the next minute. This ain't gonna make you rich, but hey, a penny saved is a penny earned, right?
He's right. I checked a bunch of my charging records. They seem to truncate/drop the seconds.

I did the bolded part for my most recent EVgo DC FC. :)

cwerdna said:
I stumbled across https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/interesting-evgo-charging-pricing-quirk-or-maybe-not.30469/ the other day. His observation seems correct. (I have no Bolt promo plan. TIL of it and I'm guessing it's long dead.)

As bro1999 wrote:
As most of us know, EVgo charges by the minue rather than per kWh. What I've observed (after looking through previous charging events), is that EVgo seems to ignore the seconds spent charging. For example, during a recent charging session, I charged for 28 minutes, 54 seconds and was billed $2.80 (10 cent/minute Bolt promo plan). EVgo didn't round up and bill me for the additional 54 seconds. I looked through my charging history and saw I consistently billed only for full minutes spent charging. So if possible, stop your charging session just before it rolls over to the next minute to save a few cents. And not right after it rolls over to the next minute. This ain't gonna make you rich, but hey, a penny saved is a penny earned, right?
He's right. I checked a bunch of my charging records. They seem to truncate/drop the seconds.

ok, thought this was common knowledge. One caveat though; each station has a delay that varies from a few seconds to as many as 10 so you will need to watch that. I generally terminate at :50 seconds and a few times it logged it to 57 or 58. Now this is better than before when there was a lag of up to 10 seconds from what the machine display said but now the app appears to be accurate within a few seconds or less.

On the flipside; EA no longer provides a timer it seems but also seems to bill in whole kwh increments so I will probably be testing them if I use them this summer to see if I can get xx.9 kwh and be billed for xx

DaveinOlyWA said:
cwerdna said:

As bro1999 wrote:

ok, thought this was common knowledge. One caveat though; each station has a delay that varies from a few seconds to as many as 10 so you will need to watch that. I generally terminate at :50 seconds and a few times it logged it to 57 or 58. Now this is better than before when there was a lag of up to 10 seconds from what the machine display said but now the app appears to be accurate within a few seconds or less.
Obviously not common knowledge for me as I didn't start using EVgo until a bit after COVID-19 lockdowns hit and didn't actually start paying full EVgo prices until DrivetheARC shut down for good recently.

I guess I should've monitored during the few times I was paying a bit and getting 75% discounts from EVgo rates via DTA.

I too was concerned about any lag so I didn't want to cut it that close. My most recent EVgo session was logged as 9:52. :)

BTW, I was surprised that ABB DC FCs like the one I used at https://www.plugshare.com/location/64437 are so quiet. They are much quieter than the BTC Fatboys I've used and some others.

Although not EVgo, https://www.chargepoint.com/products/commercial/cpe250/ are also very quiet.

Received email from EVgo. Looks like they are trying to generate business since COVID Care is no longer...

Charge 10 minutes or more in April (plan or pay as you go) and get a $5 credit to use in May.

If cheaping out, you could do the 10:55 charge for $2.90 ( Pay per use WA rates) and then get another 17 mins of charging in May at no additional cost.

27 mins@ 2.90 is a hair under 11 cents/min which will translate to just over 14 cents/kwh if you do it right ;)

If there was an EVgo within 125 miles of me, I might bite. As it is, I try not to travel in April. Too much work to do to prep the boat for the season.

salyavin said:
Weird I got no email from EVGo. I might consider it if I remember, I will drive about 200 miles or so this weekend.

Interesting.... It "could" be a personal offer although that isn't even implied in the email. I would check the app?

salyavin said:
I don't see anything. It could be because you had covid care pricing.

no... I checked the website and it says nothing... but it would appear membership is all that is required.

"Dear David,

We’ve got a surprise that’s sure to put a “Spring” in your step! Every EVgo customer who fast charges at an EVgo station this month will receive a $5 credit on their account.

Yep, that’s right – a FREE $5 credit* as an April “thank you” for being a valuable EVgo customer!

Stop by any EVgo fast charger this month, use your Pay As You Go or Member account to initiate a charge of 10 minutes or more, and we’ll issue your EVgo account a $5 credit for you to use on charging in May. It’s that easy!

Just a little “April Shower” of a thank you from EVgo for being part of the shift to EV adoption.

Sincerely,

Your Fast Charging Friends at EVgo

Promotion Disclaimers:
A session will be defined as a EVgo charging session with a minimum of a 10 min session between April 1st - 30th, 2021.
Promotion will only be valid for customers who have opted in to receive EVgo promotional emails and received this email.
Only members who have charged at a EVgo fast charging station will be eligible for this $5 promotion.
Charging sessions and credits will be drawn down at local rates; please visit our EVgo app or charging plans page for more information about specific rates in your area.
Credit will only be allowed to use for future charging only.
Credit will appear on your statement within 30 days of completion of the promotion.
Credit will not be applied to or reduce applicable taxes."

FYI; What I did find out is they extended COVID Care to 6/30... didn't tell me about that either and as of the 5th, it wasn't extended...

Promotion will only be valid for customers who have opted in to receive EVgo promotional emails and received this email.

I may not have opted in to recieve promotional emails (have not checked yet) and did not receive that email. So yea it is not everyone. It may be most perhaps?

Back