FOR SALE: 2020 Leaf S Plus 62 kWh - 2,975 miles - SOH 96%

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBCLeaf

I am in the Los Angeles / Inland Empire area. I bought a 2020 Leaf S Plus in October 2020 with the intention to use if for my daily commute when things got back to "normal." Unfortunately, the nature of my work has changed since then so that having a purely electric car isn't working out very well. Unfortunately I have to go back to a plug-in hybrid so I can mobilize for long distance travel on short notice.

ODOMETER: 2,975
COLOR: Glacier White
INTERIOR: Black
BATTERY: 62 kWh
TITLE: Clean (I have the pink slip)

The odometer is at 2,975 miles today. There isn't even a scratch on the paint anywhere or any wear and tear or damage to the interior. The tires even still have the extra bits from when they were cast.

Kelly Blue book reports a private party value of around $25,000, so I suppose I will start there.

I'm going to talk with my wife to see if she would like to make an offer for your car, although to be fair I should say that I will take into the account the discount you received off MSRP and the tax credits you received.

https://mynissanleaf.com/search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&author_id=31922

A couple of questions:
1. Did you resolve the fuzzy rear camera issue ?
2. Has anybody smoked in the car ?

Thanks

I already have an offer of $23,000 from Carvana, so that would be my lower limit. I just figured they were going to turn around and sell it for at least $26,000, so I'd try offering it private party so someone could pay a little less and I could earn a little more. The car cost $35,000 OTD. I have the sales contract. Unfortunately, I don't qualify for the full $7,500 federal credit, so I only received $5404. It's a dirty secret that if you have kids in college and claim the Lifetime Learning credit for them, they deduct that credit amount from your $7,500 electric car rebate.

Carvana (at least in the midwest) sells their few available Plus models before they even have a chance to get listed. It's pretty crazy given how inexpensive the cars are new.

Interesting. I bet they're transporting them to where they're more profitable to sell. The dealers were giving pretty good discounts. The MSRP for the S Plus is $38,690 but back in October they offered $6,000 dealer discount, but in California you have to pay tax on the full amount before dealer cash back. That put the OTD price at close to $36,000. Even if I could have received the full $7,500 Federal credit I would be at $28,500 out of pocket. I can't do the California rebate because you have to keep the car for 20 months to qualify.

Are the dealers offering steeper discounts now?

One thing for private buyers to keep in mind is that if they're buying from a private party the prices don't compare to buying from a dealer. If you buy the car from me for $25,000, you pay $25,000. If you buy the car from a dealer or Carmax for $25,000 and you live in Long Beach (for example) you're going to pay $27,562.50 because of sales tax. $25,000 private party is the equivalent of paying $23,675 at a dealer or Carmax.

the tax depends on where you live, here in WA it would not make any difference if you buy private party or dealer, as you pay sales tax on it at the dealer or when you register the car as private party buyer at the DMV.

estomax said:
the tax depends on where you live, here in WA it would not make any difference if you buy private party or dealer, as you pay sales tax on it at the dealer or when you register the car as private party buyer at the DMV.

That's how it is in New York as well.

estomax said:
Same where I live. There are states that let *dealerships* calculate sales tax on the difference in price between the new car and a trade-in but that obviously does not apply to a private sale.

OP: I realize that you collected less than the maximum possible tax credits but if your potential buyers are x-shopping your car with a new car where they are eligible for full tax credits, that is the discount they will use in deciding whether to buy your car. In the same vein, if Nissan is offering $9k off MSRP now, that will affect your sales price to the same degree. It is not how much you paid for the car, it is how much competing choices are going for. I used your stated discounts as a short-hand for new car prices. You also take a depreciation hit, and your buyer does not care how much sales tax you paid.

e.g.,
https://www.tonkinwilsonvillenissan.com/vehicle/new-2020-Nissan-LEAF-S-Plus-Hatchback-Wilsonville-OR-1N4BZ1BP4LC310577/?utm_campaign=deeplink&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=cars.com

You are getting a front row view why dumping a recently bought new car is so expensive. If I were you I would accept that Carvana offer yesterday.

https://www.caranddriver.com/research/a31553567/california-vehicle-tax/

In CA private car sales pay a 'use tax' instead of 'sales tax.' So far as I can tell it is the same rate.

SageBrush said:
OP: I realize that you collected less than the maximum possible tax credits but if your potential buyers are x-shopping your car with a new car where they are eligible for full tax credits, that is the discount they will use in deciding whether to buy your car.

You are correct, but I was addressing your statement that you were deducting the tax credit I received. I was pointing out that what I received is not the maximum tax credit possible for some taxpayers.

SageBrush said:
You are getting a front row view why dumping a recently bought new car is so expensive. If I were you I would accept that Carvana offer yesterday.

To be sure, but the Carvana offer is good until the 23rd and KBB and NADA are pretty reliable about resale value. I couldn't find any of the same year and model with equal mileage for a lower price. If KBB and NADA say private party value is $24,000 - $26,000, I'm inclined to believe them. Especially since that's backed up by Carvana's willingness to buy at $23,000. They're not in business to lose money. However, if nobody wants to pay that it's no skin off my back. I'll just sell it to Carvana. I would be remiss if I didn't try private party sales first.

Back