Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey! Elon knows that Tesla fan, er, enthusiasts want their cars RIGHT NOW! They don't want to wait for them to be completely assembled and checked. And Tesla is never going to be able to sell everyone on the planet a Model 3 if they have to, you know, build them carefully...

DougWantsALeaf said:
Any newer Canada M3 owners facing cold gate? I found the 20 or 30kW charging cap pretty surprising.

https://youtu.be/P8AZD-qs7ao

Since no one responded, I guess no (haven't seen any canadians report an issue on the TMC forums). Plus it seems to have more to do with the made-in-china model 3's with the LFP batteries. And, as a sign of what you can expect as an owner, software fixes (including BMS updates) take much less time than with other manufacturers (like the chevy Bolt):
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/5351320/

We pulled into the Merritt V2 Supercharger with 18 percent on the battery. (Left Vancouver with about 85 percent. Cold but not freakin cold. Maybe minus 5 celcius. It’s a big climb up to around 1200 meters and then back to around 600 meters in Merritt. We had Merritt supercharger set as destination and noticed Jarvis (wife’s name for her car) started preconditioning about 45 minutes out. Pulled in to Supercharger, hooked up and then hung around for a minute to insure charge ramp. Within about half a minute it pinned the V2 Supercharger at 150 kw. We left to find the bathrooms and get a coffee. Came back 15 or minutes later and charge was under 100 kw although can’t remember exactly what. We were on a deadljne to pick the chihuahua up at the kennel so we unhooked a couple minutes later and we were off. I think we were some where around 70 percent when we left.

That’s our only cold experience with a supercharger. Pre-conditioning is key though. Without it the charge rate would have been much less. Even on a V3 with low charge at arrival and pre-conditioning you can pretty much pin a 250 KW V3 for the first few minutes. If you are running your toad trips between 30 and 80 percent on V3’s you rarely need more than a 15 minute break. I don’t like to run much lower than that but in colder weather it happens.

Cheers.

webeleafowners said:
Pre-conditioning is key though. Without it the charge rate would have been much less.
Exactly

All the Bjorn Nyland videos I have seen of cold-gating Tesla charging are at non Tesla DCFC where pre-conditioning did not occur.
I expect Tesla to eventually give users some measure of control over pre-conditioning to solve this issue. It does not happen in N. America because we don't use generic DCFC

As an aside, cold gating in a Tesla is a bit more evident in the 2021 model years due to the battery heat scavenging the heat pump/Octovalve perform for cabin heating. It's a juggling act that Tesla still has to tweak a little.

I still think the solution is to add a heat reservoir to off-load the battery heat after Supercharging:
The pack holds about 85 Wh/C heat;
A 50% anti-freeze/water holds about 5.5 Wh/C per 10 liters
So a reservoir can take ~ 5C of pack heat

Weird. Someone at my work but down in LA is trying to sell their 3 SR+ for more than a new one.

I configured one to be identical (as far as I can tell to theirs) and a new one is cheaper. It doesn't help the seller there's a new CA $1500 point of sale rebate (https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1130353_california-1-500-point-of-sale-rebate-on-evs-starts-this-week) that Tesla seems to apply if you chose CA for the state + a recent price drop (https://electrek.co/2021/02/17/tesla-reduces-model-3-y-prices/). Their car has several K miles on it and is apparently a year old now.

And, here, buying a used one doesn't save on sales tax. The state will make the buyer pay use tax.

Someone at work knows the first person in MA who took delivery of a Model 3. The guy also owns a used car lot. 6 months later he listed it for sale with some number of miles (4K?) and for $2K under MSRP. This is when they were still short on supply, but the wait time for a new order was under 3 months for that configuration. When the guy at work listed the car for sale for his friend, I pointed out it was more expensive than ordering a new one, because at that point you could still get the Federal tax credit.

lotta people who bought into the sales pitch of "tEsLas DoN't DePrEcIaTe!!!!" the past five years are going to be real disappointed when SSBs are out in full force.

coleafrado2 said:
lotta people who bought into the sales pitch of "tEsLas DoN't DePrEcIaTe!!!!" the past five years are going to be real disappointed when SSBs are out in full force.

Only people who don't know how expensive it is to make SSB's believe that.

Besides, anyone who thinks Teslas don't depreciate should have already learned their lesson as Tesla enters ever cheaper model segments and as they continue to lower prices from production cost drops. When the SR+ got price-reduced to $37k, my 3yo model 3's used-car-value dropped to only 75% of its purchase price - significantly better retention value than any other car out there, but still depreciated. I imagine when the model 2 is released, it will depreciate further.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
coleafrado2 said:

Besides, anyone who thinks Teslas don't depreciate should have already learned their lesson as Tesla enters ever cheaper model segments and as they continue to lower prices from production cost drops. When the SR+ got price-reduced to $37k, my 3yo model 3's used-car-value dropped to only 75% of its purchase price - significantly better retention value than any other car out there, but still depreciated. I imagine when the model 2 is released, it will depreciate further.

call me when Tesla actually has a vehicle available for <35k.

coleafrado2 said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
coleafrado2 said:

call me when Tesla actually has a vehicle available for <35k.

You know that's a "when" condition, not an "if" condition, right? Unless you don't believe in Tesla's product plans?

Model S for 50K - required federal tax credit, but it happened in 2013 and only for those who insisted on the 40kwh version.
Model 3 for 35K - required ordering off-menu, but it happened in 2019-2020.
Model 2 (placeholder name for now) for 25K - currently being designed in Shanghai design center, but it will happen.

I never recall a sales pitch of "Teslas don't depreciate". In fact, there was never any sales pitch at all. :lol:

jlv said:
I never recall a sales pitch of "Teslas don't depreciate". In fact, there was never any sales pitch at all. :lol:
Yes, that's a splendid example of a "straw man" argument.

I bought my Model S used five years ago because it was all I could afford. I certainly was grateful that the car value had depreciated somewhat so that I could afford it!

I agree. When I bought my Model S, I knew that new ones would depreciate heavily in the first few years.

But there was still no sales pitch.

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Model 2 (placeholder name for now) for 25K - currently being designed in Shanghai design center, but it will happen.

Everyone knows E will never bring the 25k car to the States.

coleafrado2 said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Certainly from a practicality point it would be tough. Where would he build them? At least in the short to medium term I think manufacturing capacity is used up between the 4 existing models and the coming semi and Cybertruck.

webeleafowners said:
coleafrado2 said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:

Certainly from a practicality point it would be tough. Where would he build them? At least in the short to medium term I think manufacturing capacity is used up between the 4 existing models and the coming semi and Cybertruck.
Musk is talking about 20M vehicle capacity by the end of the decade. Tesla will build what the market wants in volume, so long as it can be done profitably.

That strikes me as common sense, but <<shrug>>

Back