Why do I need a Charging Station ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
I don't recommend putting these mobile EVSEs to daily use for the reasons I wrote earlier but it is a cheap solution up-front. And to the couple of people who are sure that such use is fine because they do it and have not had any problems, I'll regale you with the story of my Grandmother who heavily smoked her entire adult life and did not die from cancer or heart disease.
You don't understand the risk factors here.
I say that about you.

I know that you're not shy, so out with it: what am I missing? We always warn people to make sure the outlet is good and the circuit isn't shared, so what hidden dangers lurk in portable EVSEs? You've brought up using 240 volts, as if that is substantially more dangerous than plugging into 120 volts, though it's not. (If anything it's less so, because 240 volt circuits are almost always dedicated to one appliance or device.) Anything else...?

SageBrush said:
The Nissan mobile EVSE was not designed for the way you are thinking about using it.

Water is one problem,
Frequent connect/disconnect is another,
Frequent use at 240v is a third

I agree water is a no no

Connect/disconnect of the J1772 connector or the 14-50R connector?

I have only used the Nissan supplied EVSE and it currently has provided 2150 L2 charges at 32A. I typically charge in 1-2 hour sessions based upon on my daily charging needs & my personal desire to keep my car between 25-65%SOC.

So far it has been rock solid so I'm unclear as to why your statement that frequent use is a problem for the last 34K miles

Back