Update on CEC DCFC Stations in Tehachapi, Mojave, and Inyokern, Calfornia

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Side note for anyone who cares,

Tesla pulled a permit for a V3 supercharger in Inyokern a couple months back. I think it will be 12 or more V3 chargers right behind classic burgers. No construction yet but I'll post when I see it.

Got me thinking though.. Tesla should sell off their old four stall site in Inyokern to CA or Caltrans or Chargepoint or EA, etc. The new owner (maybe?) would only have to swap out the pedestals, and have 100kW+ chargers. The sad thing is that this old Tesla hand-me down site would still end up being far superior to what EVConnect or Chargepoint just now put in Inyokern

Tesla just seems to do it right. The V3 will be next to several restaurants, stores, grocery, usps and even a great hardware store. But if you drive any other EV you are stuck at the airport, with not even a bathroom, or Bradys. With only a single DC each.

I suspect Tesla will just keep it. Or maybe tesla can open up their own brand of chargers for the rest of us using these older stations?

Paul

Yes I just saw that. That's great news!

Slowly starting to fill in on the east side.

EDIT:

THE chargepoint app also shows Inyokern up and running at Bradys. Will go try it.

Chargepoint at inyokern (Bradys) is open!

Ran over and tested it. Might have been the first use. Worked great. Got 47 kW for a minute until my car throttling kicked in because I was already high SOC.

Level 2s looked good too but didn't test them.

Only thing I noted is that there is no light installed. Will get pretty dark at night on the side there. Added a few photos to plugshare but can't seem to mark it as open.

Both Mojave and Inyokern Charge point stations are now showing open on Plugshare!

Several folks have already used Inyokern, including obviously my test Sunday night.

Now we just need a station in Lone Pine and one in Kernville area.

I had to get some warranty work done on my outback so on the way home today from Lancaster I stopped and checked out the Chargepoint install at Dennys in Mojave.

I'm really impressed. Yes I know it might have been better to have those more distributed but it's a nice setup. I'm not familiar with the different kiosks Chargepoint uses. I'm assuming they are 50kW but they are definitely different than others I've seen and used. For one thing they have a green illuminated top that tells you they are available. I also think it has two kiosks with 2 J1772 each, so four total level 2s.

Mcdonalds is a bit far to walk but there are a couple places close by besides Dennys. Surprisingly none of the spots were iced.

paulgipe said:
Dan, the Boron rest stop sites of Caltrans are up too. No word on Coso, Division, or Bishop.

Paul

Someone on Plug share says the coso Junction one is working, charged their Tesla. That's great to have a backup there now.

No updates on division Creek, or Bishop. In fact the last update for Bishop nobody had even located it / seen construction.
It was suppose to be in their front parking lot at the Caltrans headquarters there. I guess the location could have changed?
EA is active there but I really like redundancy, or I would if I could get that far.

This fall sometime the plan is to trade in the 2018 Leaf and see what we can find with a good price late in the 2021 model year.
My wife really wanted the Volvo XC-40, and I like it, but they are asking so much $$ for the EV.
There is suppose to also be a Audi Etron Q4, so maybe they will have some lease deals this fall if it comes out.

But I'll search for the best deal. Might be some good deals on the Bolt EUV by then depending on when it comes out.
Slower charging speeds but ventilated seats are almost a must around here unless the seats are cloth.
Too many seem to be using black leather or imitation leather. Too hot!

Sorry, that was a bit all off topic.

I'd love to see some stations in Lake Isabella / Kernville, as well as Lone Pine, Independence and Big Pine.

But in the 2 years I've been watching, our patience has slowly been rewarded as the map is filling in.

Dan,

GM is really pushing Bolts right now. There are some very good deals--better even than we got. And it looks like the state subsidy has stepped up to 3500 (2000 from the state and 1500 on the dealers lot). You don't qualify for the 3000 from the air district. You should be able to get a bolt for 23 to 24 with tax, then less subsidies. Confirm the subsidies. Even the people here who should know seem surprised.

We're on our second one. ;)

Paul

paulgipe said:
Dan,

GM is really pushing Bolts right now. There are some very good deals--better even than we got. And it looks like the state subsidy has stepped up to 3500 (2000 from the state and 1500 on the dealers lot). You don't qualify for the 3000 from the air district. You should be able to get a bolt for 23 to 24 with tax, then less subsidies. Confirm the subsidies. Even the people here who should know seem surprised.

We're on our second one. ;)

Paul

They must have changed the air district boundary, because when I got the leaf I was able to get a Kern Air district rebate.

EDIT: It looks like Eastern Kern Air District is a separate thing from the Kern / SJV rebate, and that rebate is still present and is $4000.

So in summary, in Eastern Kern, you potentially have:

$7500 Fed tax credit*
$2000 CA Rebate (more more qualifying low income residents)
$4000 Air District
$1000 SCE (not sure if this is still active)

Dan you need to check that 4k. The last time I contacted the air district they said they had NO subsidies, zero, null, nada.

If you could confirm that I might get someone to move who's sitting on the fence. ;)

Paul

paulgipe said:
Dan you need to check that 4k. The last time I contacted the air district they said they had NO subsidies, zero, null, nada.

If you could confirm that I might get someone to move who's sitting on the fence. ;)

Paul

I'll get back to you. I know it is / was a different group than the SJV group.

paulgipe said:

Paul

Paul,

Looks like the program is still valid. Here is their email back to me below.
I think the confusing thing is that Bakersfield and Eastern Kern are separate programs and offices.
And the eastern Kern office is in Bakersfield. check their website i posted for all relevant 411 on the program.

http://www.kernair.org/

Yes, there are funds available for the current fiscal year (end June 30). Funds will be likely be budgeted also for next fiscal year. We are in the process of budget development now for the next fiscal year.

paulgipe said:
I am on it. Thanks Dan. I have a colleague in Weldon I've been trying to move into a Bolt.

Paul

Sure, hope it helps!

I can't do anything until this fall. But it will be nice to have lots of options, or lots compared to just a few years back when I got our Leaf.

I'm excited to be able to use it, whatever it ends up being, for further and further trips and hiking. There is a ton of hiking our Leaf can't possibly reach. I really like the Black Rock Ranger station area and trailhead but no way a Leaf will make it.

Also, the charging options have expanded. Its been panful and slow but looking at the map now on plugshare is so much better than a few years back.

paulgipe said:
I am on it. Thanks Dan. I have a colleague in Weldon I've been trying to move into a Bolt.

Paul

I've heard through the grapevine a local business is planning to install chargers here.

Desert Valley Credit Union.

But I would not get too excited yet. My bet is they are level 2, if they are even for the public. And I'm not even sure of that.

Guys, Plugshare is showing the Caltrans site in Bishop is working, and there was a successful check-in by a Bolt owner reported on the 26th. Division Creek is still offline. Now we need to convince somebody to install them in Lee Vining and Lone Pine, followed by Mammoth and Big Pine, and then maybe Independence and June Lake. Oh, and Panamint Springs would be nice too, or at least Olancha proper rather than Coso Junction.

GRA said:
Guys, Plugshare is showing the Caltrans site in Bishop is working, and there was a successful check-in by a Bolt owner reported on the 26th. Division Creek is still offline. Now we need to convince somebody to install them in Lee Vining and Lone Pine, followed by Mammoth and Big Pine, and then maybe Independence and June Lake. Oh, and Panamint Springs would be nice too, or at least Olancha proper rather than Coso Junction.

I saw that but it's a long drive to go up there to check. Odd no photos were posted. Once hiking season opens I'm sure I'll get up there.

I like that list but would also add lake isabella or Kernville for the canyon route.

paulgipe said:
I am on it. Thanks Dan.
Paul

Paul,

So watching some YouTube yesterday while trying to exercise a bit... and I watched Eric's latest (News Coulomb) and I saw something that caught my eye. Beyond the fact he went through my area back in November, through Barstow and up 395 on his way home -> he stopped briefly at Brady's. And he noticed that it appears charge point is adding a second DC fast charger! So I went to plugshare, and sure enough the latest photo shows the same thing, it looks like a second pedestal is being poured.

I'm sorry I don't check out that site anymore since I thought it was done, and I don't need it myself. But that would be some much needed GOOD news!

I'm curious who is paying? I don't think CEC had funded two for that site? Is there a new round of CEC funding? Or chargepoint leveraged their already payed for infrastructure there and decided it was a good site for more chargers?

Back