What is going to be your next EV?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
I am lucky to have a dealer 10 miles from home that really supports LEAFs. I don't anticipate any new EV's for a while unless Nissan decides to sell the van version here or someone else offers a compact cargo van with reasonable range and technical features.

You mean in AZ? The Ariya has a liquid cooled pack, so I would expect t see it sold even there.

No, I meant I don't expect to purchase any new EV's for a while. Yes, I expect the Ariya to be sold here. The Mustang and F150 will eventually be available here along with current vehicles which consist of Audi, BMW, Bolt, Jaguar, Leaf, and Tesla (hope I did not leave any out). Last I checked, Kia and Hyundai will not be available here any time soon.

After we return our 2017 Leaf at the end of the lease, we were down to 1 car, a 2019 Leaf SV plus. At first, we decided to stay with 1 car. We purchased an electric cargo bike so I can take my 6 year old with me where ever I go. My 6 year old can ride his own bike, but when you are in a hurry to go somewhere, it is much easier if he is on the same bike with you. I live in a town with lots of hills, my commute to work is a category 4 climb if you watch Tour de France. So we bought a Tern GSD cargo bike with a mid-drive motor. We absolutely love it. It is fantastic, you get to be outside, fresh air, close to nature and uses much less energy than our Nissan Leaf. With dual battery, the bike has a range of around 100 miles, longer than a 24 kWh Leaf. When I am on the flat, I try to turn off the electric motor and use my own power. We even rode in the rain and it was not as bad as we thought. I highly recommend checking out an e-bike if you live in a city with safe places to ride them.

Now moving back onto the car. My wife got a job that is quite a ways from our home, so we are putting a lot of miles on our 2019 Leaf, more than the lease allow. We have to buy another car to compensate for the miles. My wife wants a dash board display, so Tesla Models 3 and Y are out of questions. The RAV4 PHEV is a great choice, but they are so expensive right now. Most dealer around here adds additional $10,000 to the sticker price. The LG batteries has been catching on fire, so cars with LG battery are out of question. We look into the VW ID4, but not sure how good are the driver assist functions and they are not available yet. Ideally, we would like to buy the Nissan Ariya, especially with the ProPilot 2. But it won't come out until October of this year (according to a Nissan dealer).

We end up buying a 2021 Pacifica Hybrid Limited. We have little kids and we can use the space. It drives really nice and we don't have to pick our adventure based on the location of a DC fast charger. For about $33K after all of the incentives and rebates, we got a car with 3 row seating, leather seat, 10.1 inch Display with build in navigation, a huge tri-panel panoramic sunroof that basically cover the entire roof of the car (and it has powered sunshade for when the sun is too bright), ventilated/heated front seats, LED headlight, adaptive cruise-control, blind spot and rear cross warning, pedestrian/cyclist emergency braking, rain sensitive wipers, 360 cameras, parallel and perpendicular park assist, wireless phone charging and wireless Apple CarPlay. I know it is not a true EV, but 32 miles electric range is still very useful.

I know our purchase choices may be quite different from everyone, but it works for us. And my current favorite ride is actually the bike, I get spend time with my son, we ride through bike trails with Coastal Redwood trees or ride along the ocean front hoping to see a humpback or grey whale. During this special time, it doesn't get better than this.

It probably hasn't been invented yet: I kept my 1978 Datsun 510 for 20 years, and I kept my 1998 Toyota Camry for 20 years, and I expect to keep my 2018 Leaf for at least another 20 years.

For me it's probably the 2013 SV I bought for my dad. I might 'buy the farm' he lives on when he can't live out there anymore and I'm assuming the car will come with it. By then it will probably be ready for 40kWh or 62kWh battery upgrade. The dream is to use the original 24kWh pack for solar backup but that's still pretty iffy.

Just be aware that after 20 years of use I would expect range reduction on that LEAF, probably still more range than early LEAFs though.

salyavin said:
Just be aware that after 20 years of use I would expect range reduction on that LEAF, probably still more range than early LEAFs though.

By then, it will probably be on its second or third battery pack, and might even need a software update to handle capacity undreamt-of at the time of manufacture.

Both my 510 and my Camry had been re-engined by the time they were hauled off to their respective final rusting places.

I had my first car (2000 Camry) for over a decade. It was old enough to vote by the time I finally had to let it go and the only reason I replaced it was due to the fact the backend was badly damaged from an accident the year before and my husband also needed a new car so we negotiated a better deal buying two at the same time. I don't think my 2013 Leaf will last that long due to the 1st gen battery. Unless the total replacement cost for the battery come down significantly it's just not worth it. All these newer EVs have much larger batteries and better range.
That being said I only drive a few miles a day so my Leaf is just fine for my current commute. I did consider looking for my next EV earlier this year when I applied for a job at a different location that would require far more driving. I'm glad I didn't get it for multiple reasons, but the applicable one here is that I'm just not ready to consider a new EV. There are far more choices now and many are on their first gen runs so you just don't know how the vehicles will hold up and what kind of support the dealers are going to provide (assuming you can even get one right now). I'm hoping that by the time I need to replace my Leaf there will be plenty of used EVs for sale at cheaper prices. By then we'll have a better idea what models and batteries hold up. More battery recycling and replacement options should be available in the near future as well considering the growing number of EVs on the road.

hbquikcomjamesl said:
It probably hasn't been invented yet: I kept my 1978 Datsun 510 for 20 years, and I kept my 1998 Toyota Camry for 20 years, and I expect to keep my 2018 Leaf for at least another 20 years.

still have the 74 beetle purchased new!

I still farm with my Dad's '53 Farmall Cub..... 12V is the only mod (except cultivating tools). Claimed 9 hp when brand new, no water pump cools by thermosiphon.

dmacarthur said:
I still farm with my Dad's '53 Farmall Cub..... 12V is the only mod (except cultivating tools). Claimed 9 hp when brand new, no water pump cools by thermosiphon.
I have my Dad's John Deere about the same vintage, still 6V and thermosiphon cooling system. I also still drive my 1988 Jeep purchased new and would still have my 2011 LEAF if it had not met untimely demise (would likely be on third or fourth battery if still on the road in my climate). I intend to keep the 2019 for quite a while because it will meet my daily driving needs even if the battery capacity drops a lot because I only charge every 3 or 4 days now.

I intend to keep the 2019 for quite a while because it will meet my daily driving needs even if the battery capacity drops a lot because I only charge every 3 or 4 days now.

The 2019 serves us really well also, but Vermont winters with salt on the highways is murder on cars- MAYBE the Leaf will be better than oters because there is no exhaust to heat things up and MAYBE the bottom of the car is a bit less vulnerable because of the battery box? We have a little place in Tucson and will come to admire how well cars age (among other things...)

Loved my 2019 Leaf Plus EV. It performed as advertised and was a fun and practical Ev. However, once Nissan decided to sell the Ariya in the U.S. with a CCS charge port, we began thinking about switching to a a larger EV that uses the CCS standard. Since it was unclear whether we would be able to get an Ariya in our hands during tax year 2021, we took a close look at both the VW ID.4 and the Ford Mustang Mach-E. We wound up choosing the ID.4 and took delivery last week.

Enjoy. It looks to be a great EV.

Though Though are not buying another car soon, I am leaning towards Ionic 5/Kia EV 6.

But who knows what's going to be available in 2 years.

My next 'EV' is probably going to be a Rav4 Prime (PHEV). I'm hoping to run it mostly as an EV around town and for my daily commute and then use the ICE when doing long trips or to places where 4WD and high clearance are needed. I have a deposit in and it's supposed to arrive at the dealership in May but I'll believe it when I see it.

Due to taxes I’ve been wanting to upgrade my registration exempt 1981 Comutacar to lithium trouble is finding liability insurance for it.

Maybe J.C. Whitney will offer a "Leaf to Ariya" body kit, much like the "Continental" kit for the VW Beetle. ;)

140419981-8.jpg

Back