SOLD. 2011 Leaf SL for sale by original owner $3500

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
danrjones said:
SageBrush said:
danrjones said:
Also, I'm looking for a DIY solution.
Get cracking on building an inverter, and coding a BMS. That should get you halfway

I agree, someone should.
It certainly is an opportunity to both use all these old packs and create a new product / make money.

After all, I do recall hearing a lot of promises these packs wouldn't just be thrown away.
I don't know who you are agreeing with, but not with me. And I was not suggesting "someone" DIY, I was ready to be impressed by your skills and dedication, not to mention the large pot of money you will spend on the one-off.

Of course, if you are more like me -- not an EE, not a physicist, not an electronic genius -- then you will likely be better off taking your cues from the likes of Elon Musk and JB Straubel who both think that used packs turned into second life applications is a still-born idea, at best good for a little green-washing.

The basic idea is this: the energy and money required to turn old batteries into new batteries at scale is a small fraction of the costs of labor and expertise needed for a micro-scale hobby.

So no ... the LEAF battery will retire into a NEV, not be reborn as residential storage

Yes I figured you were being just a wee bit sarcastic. No I'm not building my own inverter. Yes I could install one, if allowed, as a COTS item.

But given the market I see coming for energy storage I don't see it as a micro hobby.

My new solar system, doing the math, will cost 4 cents per kWh over 20 years. The only thing missing to make solar the dominating energy source is storage. Lots and lots of energy storage.

But if recycling into new packs is cheaper then that's fine too. I was responding to someone who said it was going to the landfill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back