The Expanse - formerly on SyFy, now an Amazon Original

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well damn, they stepped up their game. IMO the first 3 episodes are worth the entirety of Season 4. Good stuff.

Nubo said:
Well damn, they stepped up their game. IMO the first 3 episodes are worth the entirety of Season 4. Good stuff.
This season is based on Nemesis Games and that book is oft cited as the best book in the series.

Wow. S5:E4 was really good. A LOT happens in that one.

I learned from https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/the-expanse-season-5.579886/ that there are apparently after shows at https://www.youtube.com/c/PrimeVideo/search?query=expanse. I haven't had a chance to watch any of them yet. I took a peek at the one for S5:E4.

It took me two sessions to watch the first ep of TE, and I stalled there. I had to turn the subtitles on to follow the patois, even though I haven't needed them before. I similarly took weeks to watch 3 eps of ST:D. There just isn't a science fiction show that I actually like out there, these days...

Disco season 3 has actually turned to be pretty good. Of course, there will always be mixed opinions. A co-worker who was behind a few eps said to me he felt Disco was really knocking it out of the park.

Disco season 3 seems to have a lot of reference to other Trek series, including TOS, TNG and DS9. It's almost as if the writers are in a race to put in the most references or something.

Pretty cool chuckle hidden in the last episode.
Doors & Corners - that's where they get you!

ZuutjUG.jpg

The first 10 minutes of the aftershow for s5e8 was really good. But don't watch until after the episode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wHFysH434Q

Seems like many people didn't like S5:E8 "Hard Vacuum" w/Naomi going back and forth into the area w/no air in the Chetzemoka. I can see where they're coming from.

TIL there have been different “after shows” than what’s up on YouTube on the Amazon Prime channel (Ty and that guy).

On the X-Ray content for eps in at least S4 and S5, at least on iOS clients, under bonus content is another after show that’s 3-5 minutes long.

It doesn’t seem to exist on their Roku 3, Apple TV 4K and Android TV/Google TV clients. At least on iOS you can’t cast those short after shows and they also block AirPlay from an iPad of that content.

I've been going thru them backwards starting from end of S5. I'm now at the end of S4.

BTW, the ending for S5 was really good. Too bad the "Ty and that guy" after show for the finale wasn't that insightful, esp. about what happened at the end.

Also, Alex played by Cas Avnar won't be back for S6 due to https://deadline.com/2020/06/the-expanse-star-cas-anvar-investigation-sexual-misconduct-allegations-1202971689/ and https://screenrant.com/expanse-season-6-alex-cas-anvar-controversy-exit/.

cwerdna said:
Too bad the "Ty and that guy" after show for the finale wasn't that insightful, esp. about what happened at the end.
What happened at the end is foreshadowing for the events that happen in book 6, Babylon's Ashes, which is the basis for season 6, as well as setting up the conflict arc that is the basis of books 7-9. The payoff (and explanation) will come.

Ever since the allegations against Cas Anvar came out 18 months ago there's been lots of discussion about how they might handle replacing him or getting rid of Alex. While the character is involved in several important arcs in the later books, he's more a character of convenience than integral to the plot, so getting rid of the character was not that far fetched.

What they did in the show was actually ingenious. In the books, Fred Johnson is severely wounded in the attack on Tycho, but recovers. He then goes out in the Rocinante and he dies of the result of high-G maneuvers (although this happens at the beginning of Babylon's Ashes). So they already had the possibility of someone dying there, and they used it to off Alex.

What gets interesting is they decided to kill off the character after filming was complete. I saw a really nice analysis (which I can't find to link to) showing that he was present in the final party scene and sitting in that empty chair.

I still can't find the discussion, but here's a still from before he was digitally removed:
piKtkqu.jpg

cwerdna said:
Seems like many people didn't like S5:E8 "Hard Vacuum" w/Naomi going back and forth into the area w/no air in the Chetzemoka. I can see where they're coming from. ...

I quite liked it and I'm very happy with the show for respecting its viewers' intelligence enough to portray Naomi's struggle in the latter episodes without a reassuring blanket of exposition. The viewer may not come up with a complete explanation or correctly guess the progression, but damn I'm glad they let us have the fun of trying! Two thumbs way up for Season 5.

This video is a great breakdown of the the battle in s5e10, highlighting the minute details the show put into the realism of these battle sequences.
The Expanse: The Best Space Battle Ever?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1AEHK8oQeA&t=42

E.g., in the books they mention that the Rocinante lights the drive to offset the recoil resulting from firing the railgun, and the VFX people include that in the battle sequence... I completely missed it when watching the episode, but he points it out in this video.

Ick. One season of Murdering Male Models was more than enough. In fact, I took such a looong break from the show that I only finished the last season a couple of weeks ago. I hate to say it, but I actually MISS the Blue Goo. Or was it the green? I forget. I'm also starting to miss Miller...

Protomolecule? It was blue.

I like the show. It's certainly nothing like Star Trek TNG.

Marco Inaros was pretty over the top. Was refreshing to see an interview of the actor, as he normally is. At the same time, it reminds me of how convincing a job some of the actors did and how some of the actors were able to portray their characters.

Back