jjeff
Posts: 2379
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:10 am
Delivery Date: 13 Jul 2014
Leaf Number: 422121
Location: MSP MN

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:07 pm

purplejulian wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:11 am
Hi, I got a second hand Leaf on 23rd December, 2017, with an upgraded charger, 6.6, and 38,000 miles on the clock.
I drove it home on a very cold day (I live in Fife) and the only day when it's been happy and used a lot less charge was this Monday when the temp went up to 9C. last night I went on a 17 mile round trip and was taken aback how much battery that used, at minus 2C, got down to 19 miles. I haven't got a home charger yet, so I took it to the charger at the railway station this morning, which is walking distance, left it for 6 hours - it only went up to 59 miles! I am shocked at how difficult this is.
sadly my garage is not available for trickle charging as I'm turning it into a studio, and the electrics are not usable at the moment.
is it common for charging to be that slow in cold weather? (about 0C today) - but another public charger took it up from 30 something to 114 miles last week in similar temps. or is just that it was low to start with.
I didn't want to hook it up again and try overnight as the charger being in the railway station it felt a bit vulnerable.
As your vehicle has the 6.6kw charger and I assume maybe you have a 30kwh battery? you should gain roughly 25%/hr so if you plugged in for 4hrs, your car should have gone from 0% to almost full. Now if you have a larger battery or the EVSE where you charged wasn't the full 6.6kw, that would slow down the numbers. As Lefty said, at the temps your talking about(>-20 degrees) your charging shouldn't really be slowing down. Again as Lefty said, it't better to talk about percent charge vs miles which can vary widely, depending on your driving conditions.
For others Fife looks to be just north of Edinburgh Scotland, I had to look it up :)
2012 SL purchased used 2/'16
2013 S w/QC purchased new
Juicebox Premium 60a L1/L2 EVSE, Ebusbar 16a L1/L2 EVSE
'12 EVSEupgrade'd 20a L1/L2 EVSE, '13 EVSEupgrade'd adjustable 6-20a L2, 6-13a L1 EVSE
Zencar 13, 20, 30a L1/L2 portable EVSE
GE Durastation 30a

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 15635
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:52 am

purplejulian wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:11 am
Hi, I got a second hand Leaf on 23rd December, 2017, with an upgraded charger, 6.6, and 38,000 miles on the clock.
I drove it home on a very cold day (I live in Fife) and the only day when it's been happy and used a lot less charge was this Monday when the temp went up to 9C. last night I went on a 17 mile round trip and was taken aback how much battery that used, at minus 2C, got down to 19 miles. I haven't got a home charger yet, so I took it to the charger at the railway station this morning, which is walking distance, left it for 6 hours - it only went up to 59 miles! I am shocked at how difficult this is.
sadly my garage is not available for trickle charging as I'm turning it into a studio, and the electrics are not usable at the moment.
is it common for charging to be that slow in cold weather? (about 0C today) - but another public charger took it up from 30 something to 114 miles last week in similar temps. or is just that it was low to start with.
I didn't want to hook it up again and try overnight as the charger being in the railway station it felt a bit vulnerable.
Update your location in your profile. I almost thought you were from Western WA as "Fife" is about 30 miles from me.
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 19,653 mi, 93.47% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DougWantsALeaf
Posts: 2687
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811
Location: Chicago North Side

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:24 pm

I checked out the 2019 SV Plus listed at $27,200 new at Evanston Nissan today. Not surprisingly about $3,000+ in additional fees when you get to the printrd cost. I was curious to see if I could trade my S+ for an SV+ and keep my 16" wheels and with the federal rebate end up neutral cost. That would give me heated seats and a couple other little things. Though thousands quickly came off as I was walking out the door, it wasn't close enough to warrant the work or additional cost to flip trade the cars. If my son needed a car for a job, I might relook at it.

My S+ is growing on me though. And somehow, my trial of Sirius...hasn't ended yet almost 8 months into the car.
2019 S Plus (93.86% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (93.35% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh

DaveinOlyWA
Posts: 15635
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:43 pm
Delivery Date: 16 Nov 2019
Leaf Number: 319862
Location: Olympia, WA
Contact: Website

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:25 am

DougWantsALeaf wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:24 pm
I checked out the 2019 SV Plus listed at $27,200 new at Evanston Nissan today. Not surprisingly about $3,000+ in additional fees when you get to the printrd cost. I was curious to see if I could trade my S+ for an SV+ and keep my 16" wheels and with the federal rebate end up neutral cost. That would give me heated seats and a couple other little things. Though thousands quickly came off as I was walking out the door, it wasn't close enough to warrant the work or additional cost to flip trade the cars. If my son needed a car for a job, I might relook at it.

My S+ is growing on me though. And somehow, my trial of Sirius...hasn't ended yet almost 8 months into the car.
You live in Chicago and didn't get heated seats? :shock:
2011 SL; 44,598 mi, 87% SOH. 2013 S; 44,840 mi, 91% SOH. 2016 S30; 29,413 mi, 99% SOH. 2018 S; 25,185 mi, SOH 92.23%. 2019 S Plus; 19,653 mi, 93.47% SOH
My Blog; http://daveinolywa.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DougWantsALeaf
Posts: 2687
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811
Location: Chicago North Side

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:40 am

We have it in our SV+ we bought in 2019. The S+ was the last left over (last S+) in the area that we bought last summer...so no choices from the left over, and wanted the higher range car for very cheap to replace our minivan.

Thankfully, this winter it's barely dropped below freezing (save a couple days), so it hasn't been a big deal. The idea of getting a 200+ mile ev for 20K continues to feel enticing....but I need to stop looking as I really don't need any more cars. Call it covid bordem.
2019 S Plus (93.86% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (93.35% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh

ejm4
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:38 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Jan 2021
Leaf Number: 309611
Location: South Central PA

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:10 am

Just took delivery of my 2020 SV Plus yesterday. This is my first EV car. I do have Mustang Mach E GT on reservation, but who know how long that will take to arrive and that's a different story.

My curiosity with EV's really started when I reserved the Mustang. My three kids all high school and middle school age think Tesla is the ONLY option for an EV. So after we reserved the Ford, I started watching YouTube videos on EV's and Tesla's (who watches cable anymore?) The more videos I watched I became even more interested in them. Since I am planning on taking delivery of the Mustang within 18 months I wanted something short term. Reference the earlier comment about my kids & Tesla... While I gave the Model 3 a hard look, the lease numbers were just not favorable.

My search then switched to the Kia and the Nissan. While here in PA the Kia is not offered in EV and I would have to travel to Maryland to purchase one. I did stop at the local Kia dealer and "kick the tires" on the ICE version, not really my cup of tea. The next day I made an appointment at the local Nissan dealer. They had the vehicle inside and the salesman was also a leaf owner which helped answer some real world questions about EV ownership. Due to C-19 they turned me loose in the standard SV model. 20 miles or so later I was enjoying the drive and the car. We negotiated what I thought was a crazy 24 month lease on a SV Plus model with heated seats, etc.

While I am only in my second day of EV life the car seems like it will be a perfect fit for my everyday commuter car. While we have larger SUVs for family trips, I do plan to take it on a mini-road trip to experience it and charging while traveling longer distances.

My previous commuter was a VW Passat TDI with no remote start. It was super cool this morning to open the Leaf's app and turn the climate control on and it was toasty warm when I opened the door to leave. For comparison here in South Central PA it's in the mid 20's in the morning and VW TDI would take at least 6 miles of driving before the engine would warm enough to produce heat.

While mentioned my previous commuter car was a low sipping diesel Passat and now no gas at all Leaf, I do love some good old fashion ICE cars and my gas guzzling Ford Mustang GT fits the bill when I want to raise some hell and race the Mopar Hellcat red light to red light!
2020Nissan Leaf SV Plus

DougWantsALeaf
Posts: 2687
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 8:21 pm
Delivery Date: 18 May 2013
Leaf Number: 407811
Location: Chicago North Side

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:00 pm

Welcome to the Leaf Club. The Plus isn't throaty, but faster than my 75 Camaro, 78 Firebird, and 85 TransAm, so plenty for me.
2019 S Plus (93.86% SOH) & 2019 SV Plus (93.35% SOH) Both Silver
2013 Leaf SV sold 2019 with 11 bars
100 Mile Club Member (Number 87)
Max Miles on 13 Leaf: 120 miles
Max Miles on 19 SV+: 242 Highway miles @ 4.5 miles/kWh

Oils4AsphaultOnly
Posts: 837
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:09 pm
Delivery Date: 20 Nov 2016
Leaf Number: 313890
Location: Arcadia, CA

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:04 pm

ejm4 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:10 am
Just took delivery of my 2020 SV Plus yesterday. This is my first EV car. I do have Mustang Mach E GT on reservation, but who know how long that will take to arrive and that's a different story.

My curiosity with EV's really started when I reserved the Mustang. My three kids all high school and middle school age think Tesla is the ONLY option for an EV. So after we reserved the Ford, I started watching YouTube videos on EV's and Tesla's (who watches cable anymore?) The more videos I watched I became even more interested in them. Since I am planning on taking delivery of the Mustang within 18 months I wanted something short term. Reference the earlier comment about my kids & Tesla... While I gave the Model 3 a hard look, the lease numbers were just not favorable.

My search then switched to the Kia and the Nissan. While here in PA the Kia is not offered in EV and I would have to travel to Maryland to purchase one. I did stop at the local Kia dealer and "kick the tires" on the ICE version, not really my cup of tea. The next day I made an appointment at the local Nissan dealer. They had the vehicle inside and the salesman was also a leaf owner which helped answer some real world questions about EV ownership. Due to C-19 they turned me loose in the standard SV model. 20 miles or so later I was enjoying the drive and the car. We negotiated what I thought was a crazy 24 month lease on a SV Plus model with heated seats, etc.

While I am only in my second day of EV life the car seems like it will be a perfect fit for my everyday commuter car. While we have larger SUVs for family trips, I do plan to take it on a mini-road trip to experience it and charging while traveling longer distances.

My previous commuter was a VW Passat TDI with no remote start. It was super cool this morning to open the Leaf's app and turn the climate control on and it was toasty warm when I opened the door to leave. For comparison here in South Central PA it's in the mid 20's in the morning and VW TDI would take at least 6 miles of driving before the engine would warm enough to produce heat.

While mentioned my previous commuter car was a low sipping diesel Passat and now no gas at all Leaf, I do love some good old fashion ICE cars and my gas guzzling Ford Mustang GT fits the bill when I want to raise some hell and race the Mopar Hellcat red light to red light!
Congrats on the new Leaf! Welcome to the club! And beware of dealer markup games on the mach-e! I'd advise you to consider the model Y (7-seater if your kids are under 6-ft) in place of the mach-e, but would only provide details if you're curious.
:: Leaf S30 :: build date: Sep '16 :: purchased: Nov '16
:: Model 3 LR (Turo) :: acquired 9 May '18
:: Model Y LR AWD (wife's) :: acquired 30 Dec '20
100% Zero transportation emissions (except when I walk) and loving it!

coleafrado2
Posts: 31
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:32 am
Delivery Date: 26 May 2019

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:19 pm

ejm4 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:10 am
While I am only in my second day of EV life the car seems like it will be a perfect fit for my everyday commuter car. While we have larger SUVs for family trips, I do plan to take it on a mini-road trip to experience it and charging while traveling longer distances.
I hope you were made aware of "rapidgate" before you bought this car. If you take the Leaf on a roadtrip, expect to be sitting for 2-3 hours at a fast charger after your second or third charging stop.
'17 Bolt
'12 Leaf (2019-2020)

ejm4
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:38 pm
Delivery Date: 26 Jan 2021
Leaf Number: 309611
Location: South Central PA

Re: The official "I got my Leaf" thread

Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:56 am

Oils4AsphaultOnly wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:04 pm
ejm4 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:10 am
Just took delivery of my 2020 SV Plus yesterday. This is my first EV car. I do have Mustang Mach E GT on reservation, but who know how long that will take to arrive and that's a different story.

My curiosity with EV's really started when I reserved the Mustang. My three kids all high school and middle school age think Tesla is the ONLY option for an EV. So after we reserved the Ford, I started watching YouTube videos on EV's and Tesla's (who watches cable anymore?) The more videos I watched I became even more interested in them. Since I am planning on taking delivery of the Mustang within 18 months I wanted something short term. Reference the earlier comment about my kids & Tesla... While I gave the Model 3 a hard look, the lease numbers were just not favorable.

My search then switched to the Kia and the Nissan. While here in PA the Kia is not offered in EV and I would have to travel to Maryland to purchase one. I did stop at the local Kia dealer and "kick the tires" on the ICE version, not really my cup of tea. The next day I made an appointment at the local Nissan dealer. They had the vehicle inside and the salesman was also a leaf owner which helped answer some real world questions about EV ownership. Due to C-19 they turned me loose in the standard SV model. 20 miles or so later I was enjoying the drive and the car. We negotiated what I thought was a crazy 24 month lease on a SV Plus model with heated seats, etc.

While I am only in my second day of EV life the car seems like it will be a perfect fit for my everyday commuter car. While we have larger SUVs for family trips, I do plan to take it on a mini-road trip to experience it and charging while traveling longer distances.

My previous commuter was a VW Passat TDI with no remote start. It was super cool this morning to open the Leaf's app and turn the climate control on and it was toasty warm when I opened the door to leave. For comparison here in South Central PA it's in the mid 20's in the morning and VW TDI would take at least 6 miles of driving before the engine would warm enough to produce heat.

While mentioned my previous commuter car was a low sipping diesel Passat and now no gas at all Leaf, I do love some good old fashion ICE cars and my gas guzzling Ford Mustang GT fits the bill when I want to raise some hell and race the Mopar Hellcat red light to red light!
Congrats on the new Leaf! Welcome to the club! And beware of dealer markup games on the mach-e! I'd advise you to consider the model Y (7-seater if your kids are under 6-ft) in place of the mach-e, but would only provide details if you're curious.
Thanks for the heads up on the Mach E, I have the car reserved thru a dealer that we purchase several company fleet vehicles thru and while we are fairly good acquaintances, I shop / check their price before I sign any papers. While I think Tesla is a great company and the Model Y looks to be great, I am looking forward to the Mach E GT. But... With that being said, my daughter turns 16 next year and most likely she will get a M3 or MY.
2020Nissan Leaf SV Plus

Return to “General / Main Owners Forum”