Electrify America Network

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Garberville (U.S.101) and one unknown site have opened, and two "Coming soon sites have apparently been added, making the totals 518/148.

With Garberville, 101 is now easy from S.F. north to Crescent City, ca. 20 miles south of the Oregon border. It's around 230 miles from C.C. to the "Coming soon" site in Newport. Presumably at least one and hopefully two (or more) sites in between Crescent City and Newport will eventually be built. Bandon and Reedsport would work, but there are several other options.

Electrify America has partnered with NYPA (New York Power Authority) to build a station in Oneonta, NY. I know that EA is not paying for the hardware, NYPA is. What EA is doing is providing the network services for access and billing. So you can pull up and use the EA app (or credit card), the same as any EA-funded site, and EA will send you the bill. It also shows up on EA's app and website.

I wonder, how many of their other sites have similar arrangements? Is there any way to tell?

^^^
Sound like a result of https://media.electrifyamerica.com/en-us/releases/119 (" Electrify America Launches New Enterprise Offering Customized Business-to-Business Charging Solutions") which is kinda laughable considering the not so great reliability of their hardware when you arrive to try charging. And, the hardware can be in the ground yet not operational for many many months.

As as a result of submitting input from for their next phase, i was invited to a webinar that happened this morning but it was too early in the morning for me, so I passed. I would've been too tired for either it or my actual day job (as a result) anyway. I wonder if there will be a recording that I can access.

From the above press release:
Reston, VA (October 27, 2020) – Electrify America today announced the launch of Electrify Commercial, a new business unit designed to deliver turn-key electric vehicle (EV) charging solutions to utilities, fleet owners and operators, government entities and businesses seeking to manage their own network of chargers.
At https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/electrify-america-outreach-webinar.36895/ were some details about the webinar that I missed.
They also shared a key detail that explains a bit about how and why they've developed their network in the way they have. They are tasked EV infrastructure "investments" and with creating a self-sustaining network. Essentially, when their funding runs out, the network needs to be able operate profitably and sustainably. That explains why they've focused on higher traffic corridors with larger EV owning populations. One of the biggest threats to that long-term profitability and sustainability is demand fees. In one real-world example of a charging site in Utah, they are paying $8.55 per kWh dispensed after demand fees, and they are installing grid-tied batteries in order to offset those costs (they stated 80% or 90% of a charging station's costs are due to demand fees).

Cool, I was not aware of that. Well, I have had mixed luck with both EA and NYPA's EVolve NY charging stations (their currently open ones are are the EV Connect network, but each region is bid to multiple providers).

EA has been added batteries to most of their locations in upstate NY, which should all be eliminate demand fees if done right.

The other foot is dropping

I just read on Electrek that Tesla has announced a CCS1 adapter in S. Korea, to be available early 2021
I cannot think of any reason why the adapter will not be made available to N. America

I *suspect* that this is the first step in a Tesla transition to CCS1, but I don't really care. I'm tickled pink to expect to have access to both the Supercharger and generic DCFC networks in N. America.

CCS1 is bulky and ugly, but oh so practical
For those wondering -- this opens up the generic CCS1 charger networks to Tesla cars; it does not open up the Tesla Supercharger network to non Tesla CCS1 cars.

SageBrush said:
For those wondering -- this opens up the generic CCS1 charger networks to Tesla cars; it does not open up the Tesla Supercharger network to non Tesla CCS1 cars.

Charging standards will settle on one. Tesla wants it to be their proprietary standard. Do you want to be owned by Tesla?

SageBrush said:

I just read on Electrek that Tesla has announced a CCS1 adapter in S. Korea, to be available early 2021
I cannot think of any reason why the adapter will not be made available to N. America

I *suspect* that this is the first step in a Tesla transition to CCS1, but I don't really care. I'm tickled pink to expect to have access to both the Supercharger and generic DCFC networks in N. America.

As a Chevy Bolt driver, I have mixed feeling about this. On the one hand, there are enough Teslas on the road to suddenly swamp an already limited resource. On the other hand, those Tesla drivers represent a huge customer base which will in turn support the maintenance and expansion of that public infrastructure. So it's a short-term problem but a long-term benefit.

If Tesla's CCS1 adapter is available in the US for significantly less than the $450 CHAdeMO adapter and supports higher power levels, I could see road trippers who travel in busy travel corridors on holidays (e.g. I-5 between Nor and So Cal) and where SC coverage is lacking while CCS coverage is better wanting to buy.

The are numerous videos of crazy Supercharger lines during holidays at the aforementioned corridor.

As in Europe, I hope Tesla will eventually switch their cars over to CCS (-1 rather than -2) here, gradually replacing Tesla connectors at SCs with CCS as the older cars disappear.

While I would have mandated that everyone use the Tesla standard if it were up to me, that's not going to happen, and the sooner we get to one standard per continent if not per planet, the better.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Gy1gEJs26Nfk7grPA

;)

SageBrush said:

https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/tesla-to-offer-adapter-ccs1-to-their-autos.36937/page-2#post-573871 posted by a Bolt driver has a translation of a message that South Korean Tesla drivers received along with background info about their Supercharger vs. other DC FC standard situation there.

Not including his translation, he said:
wesley said:
Tesla's charging network is abysmal compared to the public DCFC infrastructure in Korea. As noted in the Electrek article, there are 33 SC and 150 DC stations in Korea. In contrast, there are a total of more than 23,200 public charging units as of August 2020, of which about 16,000 were L2 (7kW AC) and 7,100 were CCS1 DCFC. Note that this is not the number of stations, but since most stations have just one or two units you can sort of cut the number by half there.

One of the biggest complaints of the Korean Tesla owners was that there aren't enough SC/DC around, which is basically the reverse of the situation in the United States. The existing CHAdeMO adapter was not enough because the expansion of the CHAdeMO charging network pretty much stopped around 2018 after the Korean government chose CCS1 as the national standard the year prior, and the ones already in place can only charge up to about 40 kW.

The new public chargers installed by the government since 2019, numbering around two thousand last time I checked, were mostly CCS1-exclusive with 100 to 200 kW charging support. The newly announced official adapter looks like it may be able to take advantage of the faster speed, and if so, it would be an effective remedy for the said complaint.
DougWantsALeaf said:
There are rumors that Aptera is going to use Tesla's network.
LOL! Yes. I saw the picture of the plug and thus the rumors.

I still doubt they will ship any significant number of vehicles to real customers in North America (at least whatever they've been showing off) before going under again.

I hope not: the CCS-1 connector is a big bulky thing and the North American Tesla connector (used for SuperCharging as well as Level 2) is simple and easy to use.

I also think if they were going to change the handle it would have happened similar to Europe, where they enacted the change before releasing the Model 3.

jlv said:
I hope not: the CCS-1 connector is a big bulky thing and the North American Tesla connector (used for SuperCharging as well as Level 2) is simple and easy to use.

I also think if they were going to change the handle it would have happened similar to Europe, where they enacted the change before releasing the Model 3.

While I agree about the CCS connector (which is why I would have mandated Tesla's if I were dictator), that's outweighed by having a single standard.

I think the situation was different here than in Europe, as they had more deployed CCS-2 chargers/EVSEs at the time. I would expect Tesla to switch over when they introduce the $25k (Sic.) car, if not at a mid-life update for some existing model.

DaveinOlyWA said:
cwerdna said:
johnlocke said:
Tesla Superchargers are private only because Tesla asked for the other manufacturers to help pay for the infrastructure costs if they wanted to use the supercharger system and all the other manufacturers declined. All the other manufacturers decided to leave charging infrastructure to third parties with predictable results.
There more to it than that, at least with what Elon's stated publicly. See https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=457610#p457610. Who knows if he has some other conditions beyond what he stated publicly?

Obviously we can only speculate but that isn't all that tough considering

All billing, recognition, etc. is done "in" the station. IOW; no external ID or billing system. These means manufacturers "must" give up the name and info of their customers or require the customers to register directly with Tesla. The manufacturers would create a device that reports user info to the SC station.

This requires other manufacturers to give up a lot of data on their customers. IOW; the offer sounded good but it was essentially a no go from Day one.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35030461/why-other-car-companies-dont-use-tesla-superchargers/ asserts that it's actually much worse than that. Hopefully you're able to read https://www.lexology.com/library/detail.aspx?g=ca6c332f-2cc5-401b-b80d-36473d0754c7#:~:text=In%202014%2C%20Elon%20Musk%20announced,market%20to%20grow%20more%20rapidly.&text=Tesla%20is%20the%20assignee%20of,management%20systems%20to%20door%20handles that they point to.

Road and Track piece is titled and starts off with:
"Why Other Car Companies Don't Use Tesla Superchargers
Tesla says it will give its charging technology to any automaker who wants it. But the fine print makes this a terrible deal, even if it's free."

I'm not a lawyer but if that lawyer's assertions in that blog entry are correct, I can see why nobody's taking them up on it, w/those terms.

Someone on another forum linked to https://www.electrifyamerica.com/pricing/ and I noticed now even w/o selecting a state, they specifically spell out pricing in per-minute states vs. per-kWh states.

I think this was a recent change. Previously, I thought you had to change the drop down and go hunting to figure out which states got which regime and how many pricing schemes there were.

Sorry for the delay in this as well as my replies to other posts. I've been busy for the past week or so, but should get caught up in my replies over the next day or two.

At the end of December there are 534 sites open/147 "Coming soon", compared to 516/148 at the end of November, a gain of 18 open sites, and a gain for the year of 161 (373 at the end of 12/19).

Here's the list of road trip coverage expansion or gap filler "Coming soon" sites in the west I've been or will be monitoring, and consider most important for completion; three (Garberville, S. Lake Tahoe and Needles) opened last month and have been removed, while a new site in Aberdeen, WA (U.S. 101) has been added:

WA: Port Angeles and Aberdeen (U.S. 101); Leavenworth (U.S. 2); Poulsbo (S.R. 3/305/307).

Oregon: Bend (U.S. 97); Warrenton & Newport (U.S. 101).

CA: Greenfield & Solvang (U.S. 101); Pacific Grove (off S.R. 1); Los Banos, Harris Ranch, Lost Hills & Oceanside (I-5); Buck Meadows (S.R. 120); Oakhurst (S.R.41); Fenner (I-40).

AZ: Quartzsite (I-10); Williams & Kingman (I-40).

NV: Lovelock & W. Wendover (I-80).

Back