Nissan LEAF Battery Replacement Installers lists - Website & Facebook List

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
I wish this aftermarket would help drive confidence with consumers to buy more of the cars new to keep the cycle going.
IMHO, I suspect the need for an aftermarket battery replacement in 4-6 years isn't going to help drive confidence with consumers to buy more EVs.

I'm thinking that, when the time comes to retire my LEAF, I'll pay someone to part it out (just the valuable items, in particular: pack cells, motor, inverter, head unit), if I can't get a reasonable cost replacement pack.

Based on the cost of some of the individual parts, older LEAFs might actually be worth more for salvage than what one could sell it for as a used car.

alozzy said:
I'm thinking that, when the time comes to retire my LEAF, I'll pay someone to part it out (just the valuable items, in particular: pack cells, motor, inverter, head unit), if I can't get a reasonable cost replacement pack.

Based on the cost of some of the individual parts, older LEAFs might actually be worth more for salvage than what one could sell it for as a used car.
Sell the expensive parts that break. Perhaps:
Brake master cylinder
OBCharger
Suspension parts

Others ? It would be an interesting list.
I'm actually waiting for the mail to deliver hatch struts, but they only cost $14 each (delivered) because they are a generic part.

SageBrush said:
alozzy said:

Brake master cylinder
OBCharger
Suspension parts

I'm actually waiting for the mail to deliver hatch struts, but they only cost $14 each (delivered) because they are a generic part.

Yes, basically anything that sells on eBay for $1000 or more would be fair game :) I think that list includes about a dozen components in total, including the ones you mentioned. Crazy, but potentially, if one was able to sell all such parts, they could add up to over $10k

alozzy said:
SageBrush said:
alozzy said:

Brake master cylinder
OBCharger
Suspension parts

Yes, basically anything that sells on eBay for $1000 or more would be fair game :) I think that list includes about a dozen components in total, including the ones you mentioned. Crazy, but potentially, if one was able to sell all such parts, they could add up to over $10k
I was trying to shorten the list to the parts that have demand. E.g., I don't think inverters break often enough to bother with since it only takes a few more to be listed on Ebay for the price to tank.

Any old car is worth more in parts than whole, even a 20 year old ICE car. The problem is the labor and hassle of removing and selling everything and then disposing of the shell. A junk yard will probably pay $200 tops for a stripped down Leaf. And if they don't buy it, disposal becomes an issue.

goldbrick said:
Any old car is worth more in parts than whole, even a 20 year old ICE car. The problem is the labor and hassle of removing and selling everything and then disposing of the shell. A junk yard will probably pay $200 tops for a stripped down Leaf. And if they don't buy it, disposal becomes an issue.

Yes, but there are a few parts on the LEAF that are relatively easy to get at but worth a fair amount (like the brake master cylinder that SageBrush mentioned). Most old ICE cars have very few parts that would sell for more than $1000 used.

Each pack module goes for about $100 on eBay. If I remember correctly, the 24 kWh pack has 48 modules. So, that's close to $5k if you could sell them all. There's nothing comparable to that on an ICE.

jlv said:
DougWantsALeaf said:
I wish this aftermarket would help drive confidence with consumers to buy more of the cars new to keep the cycle going.
IMHO, I suspect the need for an aftermarket battery replacement in 4-6 years isn't going to help drive confidence with consumers to buy more EVs.

Hmmm, currently the auto aftermarket thrives on people loving their cars but wanting more from them.

alozzy said:

I can't think of a car that does not apply to but I can think of a few that it would actually be worth the trouble to part out.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Hmmm, currently the auto aftermarket thrives on people loving their cars but wanting more from them.
Very true. But that's augmenting a car, not replacing vital components because they failed to be durable over time.

jlv said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Very true. But that's augmenting a car, not replacing vital components because they failed to be durable over time.

Not saying they aren't out there but going from 24 kwh to 24 kwh is... "interesting"... Paying for that? Completely out of the question!

That is not what most of these places are doing. To me is simply wanting more from what was there when new but I already said that. I would have gladly kept my 2011 had it the range I have now. The extra power I couldn't care less about.

If you think about it, the Leaf is the only EV in which you can upgrade your battery tech.

Many 24kW Leafs have moved to 40s and 62s.

In 5 more years, wouldn't it be cool to upgrade our 62s to 100?

DaveinOlyWA said:
I would have gladly kept my 2011 had it the range I have now. The extra power I couldn't care less about.

I've been looking at cheap used Leaf's for around town driving and I've been ignoring the 2011 and 2012 models due to the cabin heating system. Is it not as bad as some make it out to be? Are they unreliable or just an unnecessary power draw in summer (easily fixed) or am I making too much out of this?

Dave lives in a climate that makes it possible to turn off the climate control (after you install that Off switch!) a substantial amount of the time - although he might find himself leaving it on for defogging a lot of the time anyway. The problem with the Gen I Leaf is that it has both the least range and the highest power drain from the heating system.

Also note that Dave is saying that he'd need more range to enjoy having the 2011 again.

goldbrick said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
I would have gladly kept my 2011 had it the range I have now. The extra power I couldn't care less about.

I've been looking at cheap used Leaf's for around town driving and I've been ignoring the 2011 and 2012 models due to the cabin heating system. Is it not as bad as some make it out to be? Are they unreliable or just an unnecessary power draw in summer (easily fixed) or am I making too much out of this?

I think the ONE thing that I would miss is heat and A/C buttons so I can defrost on A/C which uses very little power and not run heat at all and keep windows clear. Now mind you, its blowing cold air on you but I have been experimenting with toggling the heat button on and off. Not sure its better? But my thermostat doesn't seem to work and that was also true of my 40 kwh LEAF. In Summer I run around with A/C set at 88 (BTTF thing) and it still gets plenty cold.

12-02-2020 - Added a New location in Massachusetts!!

Leo & Sons Auto Repair
157 So Broadway, Lawrence, MA 01843
978-687-1155
[email protected]
https://www.facebook.com/leoandsons
www.leosons.com

Our shop specializes in hybrid and electric vehicle maintenance, repairs and upgrades.
We are an authorized dealer for EV Enhanced, Ingenext and Unplugged Performance.
We have a Level-II charger on site FREE for customers to use.

dc25d2b98b07751b4aa64968f743b9450a00afc692417877363fa7303a416575.jpg

Back