Official Tesla Model Y Thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-model-y-roof-fell-off-family-claims-quality-control-concern-2020-10 has another pic of the "convertible" Model Y that's been mentioned at https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/5/21502379/tesla-modely-roof-flies-off-convertible-quality-issue and many other places.

Not to worry. "The dealers offered to service the Model Y for free and give Chien’s family a rental in the meantime". Oh well: I'm sure that Sagebrush or one of the other Teslarati here will explain that that wasn't a bug - it was a fantastic feature.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Be careful not to accidentally trip the ejector button in the gui. Its the little button next to dog mode.

Dog mode is awesome. My neighbor bought her Model 3 based on that one feature plus a demo of Autopilot. She traded in her 3-year old Subaru which had the lane-keeping features. She said it never worked that well and the pedestrian warning system was not usable. I mentioned I drove a '19 Subaru about 60 mi on the freeway awhile back and thought it was pretty functional. She says she just prefers the quiet, smooth drive of an EV and wants to get off of gas and be part of the future. She's 73.

I have about 3500 on my August 05, Model Y. Took it to Utah three days after doing a contactless delivery in Burbank. Hot day, 115 deg in St. George, 680 miles, 4 charging stops, zero issues.
The Y is much quieter than my 3 and has a ton of space. So far so good but it's not my all time favorite car. That would be the Model X which I returned on lease in August.

Happy to soon be joining the Model Y crowd here. Order confirmed on 10/29, awaiting VIN. Looking forward to detailed conversation both here and at TeslaMotorsClub (where the conversation is, for the most part, rather trivial!!!).

We sold our 2018 Prius Four Touring, with 32k miles, back to a Toyota dealership for $20k. They beat Carvana, CarMax by $3k!!!! Loved the Prius, but I've been driving compromised ICE cars (hybrids: Ford CMax, Ford Fusion Plug-in, Cadillac ELR) for too long and finally jumped for the full EV. We still own the 2014 Toyota Avalon Hybrid (Limited), which is still flawless at 114k miles, gets 41-42mpg cruising at 70mph.

Our 2015 LeafS, closing in on 41k miles, has been flawless, as well. LOVE the car for local trips, getting 4m/KwH, meaning it still has 75-78miles of range, if driven carefully.

...later...

gncndad said:
Happy to soon be joining the Model Y crowd here. Order confirmed on 10/29, awaiting VIN.
Congrats !

My wife finally saw one in the wild while we were out running errands and fell in love with the Model Y at first sight. You have no idea how atypical it was for here to say "but it !" without agonizing for weeks and months over an expensive purchase. But as is our habit, we cooled our heels for a couple days to think it over and I ended up convincing her to keep the LEAF she likes until it no longer meets her needs and then she will buy the Model Y. Such is the advantage of really only using 1.5 cars

Truth is (for me, anyway) that the rapid pace of EV innovation really argues against early replacement. I figure that in a couple of years the Model Y will be at 400 miles range and have a heated steering wheel. I don't care about the latter but my wife does and I don't want to hear grumbling for years over it.

I think I've read all the posts here, and didn't see any discussion of the ContiSilent tires, and the reality that the foam insert, which runs sidewall-to-sidewall under the entire tread, is impossible to fix with the sealant system that comes as OEM on the Tesla. (I'm NOT advocating use of the sealant, but seriously, driving between Fort Worth and Corpus Christi, there are long stretches of unpopulated interstate that might require its use.)

I've read that the puncture sealant can't penetrate the foam, therefore can't get to the puncture. The ONLY way to repair is to completely remove the tire from the rim, slice out a square of the foam, repair the puncture, and then re-cement the foam in place. What a royal PIA!

I've also read that the sound deadening benefit of the "silent" vs. a normal tire is negligible.

Clearly, there's no room to store a spare in the back under the "deck". I might just go full hillbilly, strap it on top of the glass roof, along with a rocking chair...

I wish there were some way to request, from Tesla, a different tire than the ContiSilent tires I've seen here in the DFW region.

Thoughts?

I'd get whatever tires you think will suit you best, and look into seeing what - if any - space saver spares will fit a Telsa Model 3 or Y hub. Maybe a space saver rockin chair, too. ;)

Maybe something like this:

https://smile.amazon.com/2017-2018-...encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0&ie=UTF8

71ymlYqBL6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Another option if you only carry a spare on trips is to see if a spare will fit upright against the left wall of the cargo compartment, between the rear gate and the shock/strut tower. I did that with my first Subie wagon, which carried a compact spare on too of the engine under the hood, but couldn't carry a full size spare there. On trips I (usually) removed the compact spare to save weight, and carried the full size in the cargo bay as above. Ideally there's a strong cargo tiedown ring you can attach the spare to, to keep it from slamming into you in a bad accident.

leftiebiker: Thanks for the spare tire info. I eyeballed a Model Y at the Tesla showroom, and it appears the spare in its case could be secured on either side bulkhead. I'm also going to explore modifying the rear well under the floor. There just might be enough room for the ModernSpare spare/jack in its bag.
YIKES: $400! Curiously, outfitting my (now sold) 2018 Prius Touring with a spare tire could have cost just as much, but I was able to source the appropriate bits, used, for around $300.

@gnc,
I suggest you look for Model Y advice on TMC
Regarding a spare tyre, this may help you: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/2792136

gncndad said:
leftiebiker: Thanks for the spare tire info. I eyeballed a Model Y at the Tesla showroom, and it appears the spare in its case could be secured on either side bulkhead. I'm also going to explore modifying the rear well under the floor. There just might be enough room for the ModernSpare spare/jack in its bag.
YIKES: $400! Curiously, outfitting my (now sold) 2018 Prius Touring with a spare tire could have cost just as much, but I was able to source the appropriate bits, used, for around $300.

Prices on Amazon change a lot. Put the url into the website Camelcamelcamel and it will watch the prices and notify you when it drops - even for just a few hours as often happens.

They are saying the model 3's pack got bigger, so I wonder if that will be or already is already is also in the Y?

https://electrek.co/2020/11/10/tesla-model-3-82-kwh-battery-pack-new-cells/

DougWantsALeaf said:
That move to an 82 kWh pack is pretty big news.
It's a combination of ~ 3 kWh more capacity, and a *much* improved heat system and improved cabin insulation.

EPA Model 3 AWD
353 miles range
(on the road consumption; not including charging losses)
213 Wh/mile city consumption
237 Wh/mile highway consumption

Amazing progress in the scant 2 years since I bought my Tesla, and the outlook looks even brighter.
Few people would have believed it possible to increase battery capacity and improve efficiency at the same time.

Few people would have believed it possible to increase battery capacity and improve efficiency at the same time.

If you meant battery size, sure. Improving capacity does not of necessity involve a weight penalty. It can even result in a lighter pack if the chemistry is improved enough.

LeftieBiker said:

If you meant battery size, sure. Improving capacity does not of necessity involve a weight penalty. It can even result in a lighter pack if the chemistry is improved enough.
Correct, but show me another recent example of increased range, kWh, and improved efficiency in another EV

Correct, but show me another recent example of increased range, kWh, and improved efficiency in another EV

I'm pretty sure I'm driving one. My average efficiency is up about .5 M/kwr from my first Leaf, range is just about doubled, and the pack, while slightly larger, fits in the same space. It may weigh a little more, but not a lot more.

Back