Adjustable EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alozzy said:
I know it's not to code, but in retrospect I should have ordered my Zencar EVSE with a 26A setting, rather than the 24A setting, for my 30A circuit.

At 24A, the cable never even gets warm. Also, the 14-30R is right beside the panel, so it's a super short run. I realize 26A exceeds 80% of 30A, but I seldom if ever charge for more than 3 hours continuously, usually for less than 90 minutes.

24A is safer though and provides 87% of the full charging rate, whereas 26A would provide 95% of the full charge rate.

As jjeff mentioned, the actual draw, shown on the Zencar's display, is always a bit under the set point which adds a margin of safety

I liked my Zencar EVSE and used the 24A setting on a 30A circuit many times until it failed to live up to it's IP55 waterproof rating and died. It was under my carport roof but must have gotten some rain splashed on it. I was shocked to find out that Zencar does not consider failure of the supposedly waterproof case to be a warranty replacement reason.

Bottom line, do not expect a Zencar EVSE to survive being rained on even though it is supposedly waterproof.

To be honest, I wouldn't trust any portable EVSE to be waterproof. Mine is mounted to the wall inside my garage most of the time. When I use it camping, I keep it inside the LEAF while charging.

Day 1 I used some silicone glue around the inlet wire and outlet wire, just didn't like how lose it seemed, especially the inlet wire that faces upwards. That said the few times I've charged it during the rain I put a cheap plastic bag over the whole thing and haven't had issues with it in the 4?? years I've had it. I really like mine and especially the upgraded J1772 cable I ordered, longer and more flexible than what probably was the standard cable, even at -10F :shock:

matson said:
1byte said:
I picked up the Duosida 32amp adjustable EVSE from an Ebay seller a month ago for right at $200 (free shipping). It's been great.

Not to make you feel bad, but there's one right now for approximately $160, total including tax and shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Duosida-Le...ing-Cable-DSS-EV-32P-V3-30A-240V/174470806396

Is O.P. watching for replies? Ey'll miss out!

Whomever won that got a heck of a deal! It only had 1 bid. Good for them.

I have no complaints with mine.

countryleaf said:
I have a JuiceBox 40 EVSE. It allows you to set time intervals for charging as well as limiting the Maximum Rate (up to 40 amps in this case).

What is the minimum charging rate on the Juicebox?

countryleaf said:
dmacarthur said:
countryleaf said:
I have a JuiceBox 40 EVSE. It allows you to set time intervals for charging as well as limiting the Maximum Rate (up to 40 amps in this case).

It can be as low as 5 amps. Pretty low...

Thanks CL, for that kind of $ I think I will bury a larger cable to the garage, better solution anyway really.....

countryleaf said:
dmacarthur said:
countryleaf said:

It can be as low as 5 amps. Pretty low...
J1772 specification minimum is 6 Amps. Setting 5 Amps is undefined as to what happens. The car might charge. The car might charge at 6 Amps, the minimum. Or do nothing. I experimented with this years ago, and I remember that the LEAF stopped charging at low current advertised. The eTron gives the status of "waiting for timer" for settings below 6 Amps.

WetEV said:
J1772 specification minimum is 6 Amps. Setting 5 Amps is undefined as to what happens. The car might charge. The car might charge at 6 Amps, the minimum. Or do nothing. I experimented with this years ago, and I remember that the LEAF stopped charging at low current advertised. The eTron gives the status of "waiting for timer" for settings below 6 Amps.

Yeah, I don't know what would happen. When I tried to set the charge current to 1 amp, the app told me that it had to be between 5 and 150 amps. Obviously, if you set it higher than the EVSE or car can charge at, it will not go that high, so setting it lower than the car will charge will cause some other response. I have not tried it... I have mine set at 30 amps, even though with the 6.6KW on-board charger in the Leaf, it only charges at 27.5 amps or so.

Well my 16 amp 240v duosida evse died. It lasted almost 3 years. I still have my original 240v converted Panasonic granny charger, but it only pulls like 2.9kw and only puts about 2.5kw in the batteries.
Now that adjustable evses are so common I think I will pick up one of those.
I have a 2011 so an evse that goes up to 30 or 40 amps isn't necessary.

Back