Hyundai Ioniq BEV, hybrid, and PHEV.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Triggerhappy007 said:
What's your avg mph? What is your m/kWh at 70 mph? Thanks
I drive at 60-65mph, mostly highway commute. Never follow any car ahead, as I learned, with very low Cd it is actually bad for efficiency to drag behind other car. Used to commute Leaf in Eco mode at 50-55mph and mostly dragged behind trucks to stay at 4.6m/kWh on the same commute. BTW, Ioniq is the only EV besides Tesla with very low Cd=0.24, although speed is still a factor, but multiplier is lower, way lower.

I used one of the ChargePoint 62.5 kW DC FCs (it's set to free) and there was an Ioniq Electric (very rare to see one in the wild in Nor Cal) ahead of me charging. I recall seeing him at 60.8 kW even though he was past 50% and I think 55%. Impressive. I don't recall when he hit a sharp ramp down but I guess it was probably at around the same SoC as the 175 kW line at https://insideevs.com/news/338777/lets-look-at-fast-charging-curves-for-popular-electric-cars/ for Ioniq.

It was a blue one and the driver was definitely not the same as another blue one that I'd seen using free public L2 charging before.

I knew my Bolt wouldn't get higher than 55 kW on that DC FC and that was definitely the case. IIRC, I was at around 52% SoC or when my Bolt started ramping down to ~38.x kW. I was planning to take off when I got ramped down to 24.x kW but it seemed like it was actually ramping down to 27.x kW. An e-Golf showed up while I was charging and I told the driver I'd take off when I'm down to 24 kW. I ended up just jetting at the 27.x kW mark.

I didn't show up nearly empty so I wasn't at full speed for too long. In the end, the session resulted in 18.47 kWh in 27 minutes. While talking to the e-Golf guy, my thermal management kicked in w/the loud AC compressor going and warm air being blown into the "engine" compartment.

Side note: Was in SF earlier today and saw an i-MiEV on the road. Sightings of those in the wild are very rare.

cwerdna said:
Side note: Was in SF earlier today and saw an i-MiEV on the road. Sightings of those in the wild are very rare.
Oddly enough, I've seen two iMiEVs in the past month in the east bay, but I probably hadn't seen one for a year or more before that, and I think my total number of sightings ever is still in the single digits. As a local/commute car, along with Smart EDs they still make a ton of sense, or they would if they just had more range.

cwerdna said:
2020 Ioniq EV has lots of improvements:
https://insideevs.com/news/384815/2020-hyundai-ioniq-electric-los-angeles/

I don't see any signs of a heated steering wheel, and there is no mention of one. Anyone know...?

My housemate's PIP may be departing, and I think I've convinced her to replace it with a full EV. Now I just have to find her a nice slow, small, roomy EV with at least 120 miles of real world range...

LeftieBiker said:
cwerdna said:
I don't see any signs of a heated steering wheel, and there is no mention of one. Anyone know...?
I did a tiny bit of digging and found https://www.hyundainews.com/models/hyundai-ioniq-2020-ioniq-electric/features. I downloaded the features and specs PDFs and didn't see any mention of it.

cwerdna said:
LeftieBiker said:
cwerdna said:
I did a tiny bit of digging and found https://www.hyundainews.com/models/hyundai-ioniq-2020-ioniq-electric/features. I downloaded the features and specs PDFs and didn't see any mention of it.

Thanks. Another asshat manufacturer. It is available on the Kona - if you opt for the top of the line luxury version with leather seats.

cwerdna said:

And one major downgrade - max DC charge rate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsWq_YrbDhs

^^^
Wow. I only skipped around the video a bit but that seems significantly worse than even the Bolt.

At least Bolt on a powerful enough DC FC can hit 55 kW until about ~50 to 55% SoC (I personally have numerous times).

I skipped around at his link to the previous gen Ioniq EV charging session and can see the previous gen was MUCH better.

cwerdna said:
^^^
Wow. I only skipped around the video a bit but that seems significantly worse than even the Bolt.

At least Bolt on a powerful enough DC FC can hit 55 kW until about ~50 to 55% SoC (I personally have numerous times).

I skipped around at his link to the previous gen Ioniq EV charging session and can see the previous gen was MUCH better.

DC charge rate from that video (connected to 350kW charger):
10-50% 40-45kW
51-67% 36kW
68-73% 23kW
74-90% 15kW

This IMO relegates new IONIQ into commuter car role because such low DC charge rate makes it really impractical for longer trips

I actually saw an ad on TV touting the Kona Electric, Ioniq Electric and hybrid. At the end, they pointed out a lease deal on Ioniq Electric.

cwerdna said:
I actually saw an ad on TV touting the Kona Electric, Ioniq Electric and hybrid. At the end, they pointed out a lease deal on Ioniq Electric.
I've seen this ad (well, at least touting these vehicles) from Hyundai multiple times on TV over the weekend. Don't recall which lease deal they touted at the end.

My daughter is interested in an Ionic and preferably the PHEV so I've begun seriously looking into them. IMO while they have a lot going for them, they also have a LOT of serious(IMO) caveats. Number one of the PHEV is NO heat in EV mode! what that means is no morning warmup while plugged into shore power and no heat all winter long in EV mode :roll: I know the early Volts had an issue early on where the ICE started anytime the temp dropped below a certain temp but at least it had a heater, nada in the Ionic. sure it has an efficient "exhaust gas" thing to get maximum efficiency out of the ICE heater but I'd much prefer something like the Prius Prime that uses an efficient heat-pump heater, apparently, that was too expensive for Hyundai, even a resistive heater was too expensive! There is also the issue with no heated steering wheel, a MUST for me but my daughter is somewhatn OK without it, although coming from her Leaf that has it, she sure wishes the Ionic did. There is also an issue with the sunroof, to get a sunroof in the PHEV you have to get the top of the top-line model and even then the ultimate package, which lacks cloth seats, she doesn't like leather and would probably end up purchasing cloth seat covers. If she got the non-phev Ionic she could get middle of the line model with cloth seats but then of course no real EV range.
As much as I'd like her to get a PHEV where she could at least drive a little bit in EV mode and not be totally tied to gas, local shopping and such, in the case of the Ionic I'm really going to be pushing her to get the non-phev model due to all the major(IMO) issues with getting the PHEV, foremost is we'd also have to drive to CO or possibly IL to pick one up as they only sell to CARB states, which MN is not currently part of, although they are talking about us joining, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Honestly, I'd really prefer she get a Prius Prime but as we own a Prius and no kid would want to own a car their parents do :roll: not to mention the stigma associated with the Prius name from her friends, she's not interested in a Prius.....

jjeff said:
Number one of the PHEV is NO heat in EV mode! what that means is no morning warmup while plugged into shore power and no heat all winter long in EV mode :roll:

I would never have considered this downside to PHEVs. Truly sad.

Having spent 7 years with a PIP with no electric heat, I can emphatically confirm that it's a major PITA to not have electric heat or a heated steering wheel in EV mode. I disliked it so much that I prototyped a standalone heater that used two 200 watt ceramic AC heaters, an inverter, and a storage battery. It was better than nothing but not the height of comfort...

coleafrado2 said:
jjeff said:
Number one of the PHEV is NO heat in EV mode! what that means is no morning warmup while plugged into shore power and no heat all winter long in EV mode :roll:

But not universal. There definitely are PHEVs with heat in EV mode; ISTR the Prius Prime is one, with a heat pump. It depends how much you care. If you want to be able to do your commute year-round without burning gas, then you want a heater that works off the battery, but you'll probably need a heat pump so your AER isn't seriously impacted. If you're okay with doing your commute in the non-heating months EV, and can accept the heater kicking the ICE on the rest of the year, then you'll be fine.

GRA said:
coleafrado2 said:
jjeff said:

But not universal. There definitely are PHEVs with heat in EV mode; ISTR the Prius Prime is one, with a heat pump. It depends how much you care. If you want to be able to do your commute year-round without burning gas, then you want a heater that works off the battery, but you'll probably need a heat pump so your AER isn't seriously impacted. If you're okay with doing your commute in the non-heating months EV, and can accept the heater kicking the ICE on the rest of the year, then you'll be fine.
My daughter actually does pretty well without using heat, as she's kind of gotten used to stretching the range on her 8 bar '12 Leaf with its very inefficient liquid-based heater. She does frequently use its morning warmup feature though to at least start out with a warm interior and frost-free windows, which would kind of be hard for her to forgo. Prior to my researching the Ioniq PHEV I just kind of assumed all PHEVs, like EVs had an electric heater, I knew its EV range would be severely reduced by its generally smallish battery but at least I thought you'd have the option. Although back in '13 when first researching EVs I wasn't sure all EVs would come with an electric heater so its possible people coming from an ICE vehicle wouldn't know what they were missing. And then there's all the people in warm climates where a heater isn't such a necessity as in the northern areas.
I'm guessing as more people get used to EVs and know how they operate it may be harder for a mfg. like Hyundai to get by with what they did but for now, it may mostly fly below the radar. Again kudos to Toyota though, not only EV heat in their PHEVs but efficient heat.
BTW Kia did the same on their Kona PHEV in regards to heat, or lack of in EV mode.

Well we picked up the Ioniq PHEV, 1800 mile RT to pick it up and my daughter really likes it for the most part, from Greeley CO. Unfortunately she didn't really get to use the EV on her trip home, well except for the first 20 miles in EV, the rest was strictly ICE, well I guess except for coasting like our '07 regular Prius, but we did very little coasting on our mostly flat drive.
She got the SEL even though she really wanted the sunroof and better stereo in the Limited but really didn't want leather, so Hyundai's loss IMO. She was willing to spend more but wouldn't be forced to get leather.
It's a nice-looking hatchback, quite similar to the Prius Prime but as I've mentioned before, without the Prius stigma that some people have. Oh our trip home it got 52MPG, which is the EPA for combined and I guess for averaging 78 mph for a good part of the trip and lower 70s for the rest, it probably isn't too shabby. For comparison, our '07 regular Prius got 46 MPG which again isn't too shabby for a 14-year old car.
The price was sticker as they are pretty hard to find, less $3k for signing up for Hyundai financing which we can pay off with no penalties after 6 months, no other discounts and it actually had ~$500 worth of fluff on the Monrey sticker we were stuck with, carpeted floor mats, some sort of shelf in the boot, a cargo cover, etc. Oh and we should be able to qualify for the full $4543 federal tax rebate because its a PHEV based on battery size.
She hasn't really driven it enough in EV mode to really verify if it will achieve it's 29 mile EV range but it may end up more, maybe a bit less on freeway speeds.
Like the new? Prius's it lacks a rear windshield wiper which I never really noticed on either but think it's kind of chincy, all in the name of aero?(99% sure it's all in the name of cutting costs!).
It doesn't have as much room in the hatch as our '07 Prius but it may be comparable to the Prime. It has all the safety features which is nice for a younger driver and older as well. It's lane keep assist works quite well and will basically self drive the vehicle as long as you rest your hands on the steering wheel, between that and it's adaptive cruise again it's almost self-driving once on a freeway. I realize it's probably nothing like a Tesla that can change lanes and such but still a lot more than I've ever driven. It's got a nice backup camera but no parking assist which is reserved for the limited. It's got a Prius-sized gas tank, giving it a advertised 620 mile range with a full charge.
As I've mentioned before I'm not too found it lacks heat in the EV mode and therefor has no morning warmup, well unless you count the 3yr free Blue Link where you can start the car from your cell phone, assuming it's outside and not in your closed garage.
Today we'll be driving it 35 miles across town so it should be a good chance to see exactly how far it will go on a 100% charge, gas all the way home as we won't have an opportunity to plug in once there.
Unless it had been noticeably cheaper than a Prius Prime I personally would have gone the Prius route but it does look stylish and when it's just been washed and dried it looks very nice with it's jet black shinny paint, of course even a tiny rain and it looks like most black cars, not so good IMO.
Some j1772 specs I found out by testing, which may be noted somewhere but I haven't had time to look.
It's max speed is just like our old Leafs, 16a@240v and that 16a also holds true for 120v charging although the very nice included adjustable 120v EVSE maxes out at 12a. It has 8/10/12a settings all adjustable by a hidden black rubber push button on the back of the sharp-looking EVSE. It's kind of hokey in that it won't let you adjust it once plugged into the car, you must unplug it from the car and then adjust it. Another charging quirk is that after you plug in the J1772 it locks it in place, for theft they say, even if the car is unplugged, say in a garage, to unplug the j1772 connector you must push the door unlock buttons, no EV unlock button I could find anywhere. A kinda nice feature is when you plug the J1772 connector in the car the dash displays the current SOC% and tells you approx how long it will take to charge, note it's smart enough to change that time depending on voltage and amperage and will change if you bump your EVSE up or down even by an amp, unlike our Leafs that give you one range for 120v and 2 for 240v, the Ionic seems to be more precise and I like that. Kind of another quirk is while the gas cap locks and requires a unlock button to open, not the EV charging door, all you have to do is push that and it pops open. Maybe they figure no one will be stealing your juice out of the J1772 connector? Still, for vandalism I might like it to lock, both gas and charging door and much of the body panels are plastic, not sure how I feel about that.
The vehicle has heated but not cooled seats and no heated steering wheel, although the European and Aus/NZ spec has both heated steering wheel and cooled seats.... Come on Hyundai, give us the goods! Again if the Limited had had either, my daughter might have opted for it and just tried to find some decent seat covers.
Lastly, we almost didn't get it. We reserved it site unseen and believe me it wasn't love at first sight. My daughter really disliked/still does to a degree, the very poor view out of the rearview mirror. Not so much for backing up but just for looking out the rearview mirror when driving forward. Due to the very sloped rear window and placement of the rearview mirror you can hardly see what's behind you, all you really see is the grill of the car behind you, nothing higher up. Note if your a real shorty this might be better because of the angle but for anyone over 5'6"? it can be a real problem if you like looking out the rearview mirror. This was almost a deal-breaker for her. In the end, she started getting a little used to it but I also mentioned we could look for a secondary rearview mirror to mount on the dash, somehow attaching to the back of the extended above the dash infotainment screen. In Europe they(or at least did) place the rearview mirror on the dash, this affords a better view out the back, assuming no one is sitting in the back rear seat in which case you may only see them. Anyone else ever run into this problem on this or another vehicle? I see a similar thing with our Prius but my biggest gripe with our Prius and it's rearview mirror is on more than one occasion I've contemplated ripping it off the window! See it hangs down so low it's a MAJOR blind spot for me, especially for cars coming down a freeway onramp, it totally blocks the car, for me the mirror is really an issue, luckily I don't drive it all that much, mostly on long trips out of town where I don't have to contend with the onramp blind spot. Back in '07 when we bought it new I actually thought of moving the mirror up higher, towards the ceiling to get it more out of my line of site, that or I also thought of moving it to the dash but as we occasionally have 5 people in the Prius, I thought that might be an issue too. Well enough about the mirrors other than to say the Ionic mirror may be an issue for you too, if on the taller side. Not the blind spot issue like our Prius, more a visibility issue for looking through the mirror.

Back