Anyone else see the Superbowl ad for a Hummer EV?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjeff

Unless it was a joke and went over my head.......did anyone else notice the Superbowl ad for the Hummer EV?
1000hp, 0-60 in under 3 seconds :shock: no specifics about battery, just the CIA about driving safely :roll:
With all the tongue in cheek ads, maybe this one was a fake poking fun at EVs?? competition for the Rivan? If true this is all we need, more overpowered EVs catering to the rich, all I want is a small SUV EV or preferably PHEV in the $30-40k range buy a major mfg. I'm still holding out for the Rav4 Prime(PHEV) but have been seriously considering the Outlander PHEV if the Rav4 is too spendy or is more a compliance car or too hard to get. My local Mitsubishi dealers are dying to sell Outlander PHEVs, I have a feeling when the Rav4 Prime comes out it will be quite the opposite :x
P.S. if the Hummer EV is true and someone wants to start an official Hummer EV thread I wouldn't mind, my post is more asking if this is a real product and somewhat poking fun at it, if it is.

No, it's real. I get EV news sent to my phone, and this has been announced for a week or two - and hinted at for longer. It will be sold by GMC rather than by a renewed Hummer brand, to save money. I saw or read some GM exec talking about it being a platform that can be adapted for numerous body variations - including an SUV. The first version is a pickup, IIRC, so watch out Cybertruck!

On a related note, the Ford Mach E looks very much like a Tesla Model Y, but also less like a Dodge Neon with a big butt than does the Y, and more like a real luxury-sport EV. It's taken them forever, but two of the American Big Three are finally getting their EV asses in gear, after GM bumped theirs into Neutral for a few years....

If Ford wasn't so completely lost in the EV world, I'd say that GM holds the title for worst EV strategy. They either miss the boat (Volt)...can't source the technology (Bolt)...or have no idea what the target BEV market is (Hummer...really?)!

Stanton said:
If Ford wasn't so completely lost in the EV world, I'd say that GM holds the title for worst EV strategy. They either miss the boat (Volt)...can't source the technology (Bolt)...or have no idea what the target BEV market is (Hummer...really?)!
Yes before purchasing my Leaf I seriously looked at Ford's offerings as well as GMs and while the Leaf wasn't my ideal EV it was better than what they had to offer. I really wanted the Volt to work but due to its passenger and cargo space it was a hard pass, Ford's offerings weren't really competitive in any comparisons.
I wish Ford luck with it's EV Mustang but like you have a hard time believing a typical Hummer customer would be interested in an EV Hummer :roll:
It's like Ford and Chevy want their EVs to fail so they can say they tried it but it failed, Chrysler isn't really trying. Honda isn't much better nor has Toyota been in regards to a real EV or PHEV, unless you count the very limited sales Rav4 EV back in the day or the very short range PIP. Sure wishing for more EVs or PHEVs to be available for purchase in non-CARB states and a Hummer isn't one of them.

Official announcement tonight with details.

https://www.gmc.com/electric-truck/hummer-ev

I think this is great and let’s not ignore the face that now GM acme vehicle is an EV. No more rinky dink second fiddle. GM is finally serious about EVs.

Unless something goes wrong on this project I believe it will sell very well. This is an ultimate status symbol. Hummer without the gas guzzling baggage.

It is packed with tech too. It will be a total nightmare to own post-warranty but until then a space ship.

LeftieBiker said:
"Simulated vehicle shown. Actual production model may vary."

It's still largely vaporware.

Yikes, I hope not. That's not great. They have taken deposits but at $100/per it's a an almost meaningless claim to fame.

Although I'm far from the target demographic, I was reading up on these and am quite fascinated.

Some takeaways:

The 3-second 0-60 run is achieved using the Watts-to-Freedom (WTF for short) launch mode which lowers the suspension 2", intensifies battery cooling, and coaches (and warns) the driver through the displays.

Is designed for up to 350 kW charging (!!).

Four-wheel-steering can crab-walk or minimize turning radius.

Roof panels are removable and stowable.

Extraction mode raises suspension 6"

With the air suspension and four-wheel steering, it can achieve better approach, breakover, and departure angles than even the 2-door Jeep Rubicon and smaller turning radius than a Chevy Sonic hatchback.

Back