Leafs Over Texas!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LEAFfan said:
Jimmy, I haven't seen anyone with a LEAF answer this question yet: How accurate is the speedometer and odometer? Could you please check with a GPS? Thanks!

great question! I was wondering that myself this morning as I was battling 35+ mph headwinds and watching my battery meter sink. It felt a little off but was probably the wind. It didn't occur to me at the time that I could check it against my smartphone speedometer. I will do that this afternoon and post an update. The odometer hasn't raised any red flags with the known mileage trips I've made so far, but I will check that also. Thanks for the idea!

LEAFfan said:
Jimmy, I haven't seen anyone with a LEAF answer this question yet: How accurate is the speedometer and odometer? Could you please check with a GPS? Thanks!

Well, LEAFfan, here is what I found. Using 2 different Android GPS apps (SpeedView and My Tracks), I verified that all 3 were within 0.1 miles over the course of a 40+ mile trip, so it appears the odometer is dead on. The speedometer was another story. The 2 phone apps agreed completely with each other but the LEAF speedometer reported between 1.5 and 2 mph high (i.e. I was actually travelling slower according to the phone apps) across almost the entire range I tested in (20 to 65 mph). So now my question is which is accurate? And if the LEAF needs calibration, is it just mine? I'll definitely bring this up to my service tech. It should be interesting learning about the calibration process. I'll keep you posted.

The LEAF, internally, knows fairly well how fast you are going (the odometer is correct). However, the car is required to DISPLAY a higher speed to you, just as you describe. Your GPS-derived speeds are correct.

Cars carefully are designed to display, as accurately as they can, a correct ODOMETER reading, but an inflated SPEED value.

garygid said:
The LEAF, internally, knows fairly well how fast you are going (the odometer is correct).
Well, the car knows how FAR we're going, anyway, that's all the odometer cares about. ;)

garygid said:
However, the car is required to DISPLAY a higher speed to you, just as you describe. Your GPS-derived speeds are correct.

Cars carefully are designed to display, as accurately as they can, a correct ODOMETER reading, but an inflated SPEED value.
I haven't seen this in writing anywhere so can't confirm from a legal standpoint. My Euro cars have all indicated 3mph higher. I didn't have a GPS when I owned my RX7 so can't speak to Japanese calibration practices.

The car should be getting the speed from a sensor in the gearbox. The speedo error will increase as the tires wear (and a bit of odometer error should creep in) - the same number of revolutions carry the car a shorter distance.

Searching, I found:
Apparently SAE J1226 (1986?) says something like +/-2%, or -1%+4%, not clear. I do not have the text. Early rules apparently around 1910 in the USA.

The European ECR-39 apparently says -0% to +10%(plus 4kph)

So, to satisfy both, apparently manufacturers use about +1 to +2% for the USA and +2% to something slightly higher for Europe.

Rules vary for UK (mostly like European), and they only made some rules around 1988 in Australia.

Factory tires, pressure, standard pressure are used, and if you change those things (like different tires), then it appears to be your responsibility, not the car maker.

The basic distance-measuring mechanisms (revolutions of an axle, tires, driveshaft, etc.) are generally used to create an "accurate" (as close as possible) odometer. No problem, although tire pressure and temperature, car loading, and even speed will distort the "distance" per revolution just a little.

From that, the analog (magnet and spring) speedometer could be adjusted to read almost anything, and was not very accurate over a wide range of speeds.

Modern electronic displays could show the corresponding "accurate" (calculated) speed that the CAN buss data often reveals, but the DISPLAYED value is generally different, showing a value higher than the -0% European boundry and lower than the US (around) +2% boundry. Or so it seems, roughly. I think. Perhaps. :D

Im going to ask a couple of questions, maybe someone on here can give an answer.
Q: How many LEAFS have been ordered in TX so far, and what months have they been submitted, and is there a spreadsheet specific to TX ?
Q: How many LEAFS have been RESERVED so far in TX. Is there a spreadsheet on this topic.

Thanks Everyone !!

gkalexdc said:
Im going to ask a couple of questions, maybe someone on here can give an answer.
Q: How many LEAFS have been ordered in TX so far, and what months have they been submitted, and is there a spreadsheet specific to TX ?
Q: How many LEAFS have been RESERVED so far in TX. Is there a spreadsheet on this topic.

Thanks Everyone !!

According to this article in the StartleGram, "We've got to have at least 500-plus Texas orders," said Robin Maas, Nissan's electric-vehicle operations manager in Texas."

As far as I know, there isn't a specific TX spreadsheet. And, in general, TX seems under-represented here at the forum. I'm not sure if we even have more than 1 or 2 Austin members, which seem odd. I think Austin has the most active EV community in Texas...

OK, I just got done reading the last 26 pages and I have a question. What do you all think is a fair price for the Nissan Leaf?

Wow, my dashboard says:

estimated Delivery:

Month of May 2011.

(Dallas, TX order from Texas Nissan Grapevine)

Too bad I am going to cancel my order... Going with the Volt instead.

You'll make some other LEAF owner very happy .. as they will get your car...

what was (is) your configuration ?

Dennis
P.S. .. how did you get a Volt?.. they are impossible to get .. and what did you pay? ..

Yep, my dashboard also says May 2011 for delivery, but I'm keeping my pure electric Leaf, too much $$$ for the Volt "hybrid".

My dashboard just opened up and allowed me to schedule my home charging installation (April '11 delivery). I had AV come out and give me a ridiculous $3500 quote (because apparently I needed a subpanel installed). I called an independent electrician (Rockwall Electric - Kevin was his name and he was extremely nice and helpful) and he inspected my panel and said I didn't need one and he'd only charge me $800 (includes cost of permit) + cost of charging equip (~$800).

Anyone else have this opening up? What are you planning on doing? Cash and carry or evgo? I think I'm going to do the cash and carry with AV EVSE. I wish the Leviton EVSE was out. That looks pretty nice. So does the Blink, but I believe it's around $1100.

Just got the email from Nissan - I'm also in the May delivery month.

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? :lol:

Andy

sbgarcia said:
OK, I just got done reading the last 26 pages and I have a question. What do you all think is a fair price for the Nissan Leaf?
That's a relative question. Your answer as a dealer/sales rep may be different than an answer from a potential customer. ;)

What do YOU think is a fair price for a Leaf?

Finally a change from the dreaded "pending" to a delivery date. (I'm in Ft.Worth, TX) Scheduled for May. Obviously, I would have preferred a closer date, but at least I know how long I have to wait now.

AndyH said:
sbgarcia said:
That's a relative question. Your answer as a dealer/sales rep may be different than an answer from a potential customer. ;)

(Dealer stand point) I think that $1,300 over cost is a fair price when you take everything into consideration.
(As a customer)When I buy vehicles(new) I usually am willing to pay $500 over invoice, and for used it really depends on the vehicle.

The leaf that I'm cancelling on (taken directly from order page)

Nissan LEAF™ SL trim
brilliant silver
option added:
quick charge port
accessories added:
carpeted mats
cargo net
door kick plate
splash guards

One (not all) of the reasons I'm cancelling is that the lease of a Volt makes much more sense. You get a lot more "car" for your money really. The lease is pretty close for a 36 month, assuming you do US Bank Lease which gives $2,000 credit along with the fed 7500. Also, you don't *really* need to buy a quick charger (~approx 1500 installed, due to the size of the battery pack being smaller)... Also, the lease money factor levels really bring the "interest rate" to around 0.5 percent (compared to approx 4-5% on the leaf).

The GM lease is heavily subsidised (interest rates, plus extra credit) but in the end that will benefit me. :) On another note, GM has structured the lease so it is not as attractive to buy it at the end... Since I don't plan on buying it at the end and getting a 2nd generation electric car instead, this GM lease works out great.

sbgarcia said:
AndyH said:
sbgarcia said:

(Dealer stand point) I think that $1,300 over cost is a fair price when you take everything into consideration.
(As a customer)When I buy vehicles(new) I usually am willing to pay $500 over invoice, and for used it really depends on the vehicle.
Exactly. ;)

We know the prices here, including the holdback: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1022

When no San Antonio dealership would drop below MSRP, I searched until I found one that would - and that's why I ordered from Grapevine.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=39203#p39203

Is Worldcar willing to sell under MSRP yet?

Back