Volkswagen ID.4 CUV

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re charging speed, yes. I was comparing the 38 min. 5-80% charge to the Niro's 42 min. 20-80% and its 54 min. either 0- or 5-80%.

The extra 20 miles of hwy range of the 2020 Bolt is pretty important to me, and a used pre-2020 will also have some degradation which is why I'm thinking lease, plus I don't need to hassle about selling it.

I looked at an Ionic a couple of years ago, and we have the same opinion re it's rear vis - it was totally unacceptable to me, like looking down a long narrow tunnel filled with obstacles.

30 to 64 Cu ft? In my experience, if the fold down is more than double the hatch area, then the hatch area is smaller or the math is suspect.

A lot of modern cars have pushed the rear wheels out towards the end of the car, which boosts wheelbase and rear seat leg room but decreases cargo area with the seat up. It's the opposite of my priorities.

GRA said:
A lot of modern cars have pushed the rear wheels out towards the end of the car, which boosts wheelbase and rear seat leg room but decreases cargo area with the seat up. It's the opposite of my priorities.

There is a balance for sure. I have two kids, so I regularly use the back seat. But they don't need nearly as much leg room as modern cars provide. They do not travel light, however, so we really need more trunk space. This trend really bothers me. It has gone too far.

GetOffYourGas said:
GRA said:

There is a balance for sure. I have two kids, so I regularly use the back seat. But they don't need nearly as much leg room as modern cars provide. They do not travel light, however, so we really need more trunk space. This trend really bothers me. It has gone too far.

If true, 30 cu feet on a flat floor is a lot of room. The LEAF's 24 cu feet poses a problem if you are not prepared to do a little Tetris to utilize the space.

DaveinOlyWA said:
GetOffYourGas said:
GRA said:

If true, 30 cu feet on a flat floor is a lot of room. The LEAF's 24 cu feet poses a problem if you are not prepared to do a little Tetris to utilize the space.

And the Bolt's 17 cu feet is almost entirely vertical. It can be like building a Jenga tower at times. Better park facing downhill!

The 30 cu feet on a flat floor is incredibly appealing to me.

DougWantsALeaf said:
From preliminary review, the ID4 looks really good on most marks.

I really like what I've seen on YouTube. My wife doesn't like the inside. A white steering wheel might be a dirt magnet though. And I wish the gold color was available in the states. 300 mile range would have been icing.

Both IEVS:
Volkswagen ID.4 Delayed Until Q1 2021 In U.S.

https://insideevs.com/news/455709/volkswagen-id4-us-delayed-q1-2021/

It was supposed to enter the market in late December, but Volkswagen needs to focus on Europe to minimize emission-related fines. . . .

2021 Volkswagen ID.4 Prototype First Drive Review: Just Plain Good

https://www.motor1.com/reviews/4556...prototype-first-drive-review-just-plain-good/

. . . Twist the gear selector to D – it takes one detent – and the ID.4 coasts like an ICE-powered vehicle when the driver is off the throttle. Twist the selector again to B and there's some regen, but the car doesn't decelerate quickly enough for one-pedal driving. Moreover, this is the lone level of regeneration. That relatively fixed approach might appeal to folks unfamiliar with the on-off nature of some EVs, but it does leave me concerned about maximizing real-world range. . . .

Lots of other details. Sounds like I wouldn't be happy with their 'B' mode, as I like to be able to set the level of regen through at least three and preferably four levels while driving using just a finger or two or a hand slap, which takes paddles or at least a stick control rather than a wheel. Still, I'll have to wait until I can try it for myself.

I was receiving Facebook ads for in-person viewings of the car at two local VW dealers, one near me and another further away, for the day after. I posted about it at work.

I have no interest as VW reliability is generally dodgy and as a whole inferior to Toyota and Honda by a lot. They're notorious for not very reliable electrical systems as it as, so an electric car from them seems like a bad idea.

cwerdna said:
I was receiving Facebook ads for in-person viewings of the car at two local VW dealers, one near me and another further away, for the day after. I posted about it at work.

I have no interest as VW reliability is generally dodgy and as a whole inferior to Toyota and Honda by a lot. They're notorious for not very reliable electrical systems as it as, so an electric car from them seems like a bad idea.

While the Japanese brands are typically quite good (Mazda topped the list this year), some models do have problems, and while European brands generally rank lower, some of their models do quite well. See:
How Asian, Domestic, and European Automakers Rank for Car Reliability

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...european-automakers-rank-for-car-reliability/

The Golf has apparently been much above average and the e-Golf shares most of the components so should do well. I can't access CR's reliability rating for it online as I'm not a member; can you?

The ID.4 will be new (although sharing its MEB platform with the ID.3), so will probably have teething issues.

Also see:
Reliability Problems Plague Newer Electric Cars, Consumer Reports' Latest Survey Shows

EVs from automakers like Audi, Kia, and Porsche are no longer recommended by CR

https://www.consumerreports.org/hybrids-evs/reliability-problems-plague-newer-electric-cars/

Anyone else notice that the ID-4 has the Gen II Leaf's body? VW copied the Leaf, at least in exterior lines. If VW can make the Leaf into a CUV, then why can't Nissan?

LeftieBiker said:
Anyone else notice that the ID-4 has the Gen II Leaf's body? VW copied the leaf, at least in exterior lines. If VW can make the Leaf into a CUV, then why can't Nissan?

Chevy Can, that's the Bolt CUV. or is it EUV? PUV? TUV? IUD?

GRA said:
While the Japanese brands are typically quite good (Mazda topped the list this year), some models do have problems, and while European brands generally rank lower, some of their models do quite well. See:
How Asian, Domestic, and European Automakers Rank for Car Reliability

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...european-automakers-rank-for-car-reliability/

The Golf has apparently been much above average and the e-Golf shares most of the components so should do well. I can't access CR's reliability rating for it online as I'm not a member; can you?

The ID.4 will be new (although sharing its MEB platform with the ID.3), so will probably have teething issues.

Also see:
Reliability Problems Plague Newer Electric Cars, Consumer Reports' Latest Survey Shows

EVs from automakers like Audi, Kia, and Porsche are no longer recommended by CR

https://www.consumerreports.org/hybrids-evs/reliability-problems-plague-newer-electric-cars/
Audi and Porsche are part of VW AG (aka VAG).

I haven't had the time to check, but if you pick up any April auto issue of CR and flip thru the reliability ratings, you'll usually see most models of Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura have at least average and usually better than average reliability for most model years, if not all. You can't say the same thing about American or European automakers. (Yes, the four nameplates I mentioned do have some duds too but not nearly as many American and European automakers.)

https://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2019/12/least-reliable-car-brands-consumer-reports.html has a ranking of least reliable brands of vehicle.

Take a look at these, for example:
https://www.consumerreports.org/honda/used-cars-to-avoid-buying/ (from 2016). If you look at such charts every single year, you will see the same pattern.

Back