Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope one day someone opens up the inverter management code and removes that stupid "no regen" sh*t.
It doesn't make any sense as it has little effect for SOH. Especially regen up to 20kW (~1C charge rate).

From a post at https://www.facebook.com/groups/BayLeafs/?post_id=3266164363441202, is this 4 bar remaining '11 Leaf for $1K. It might have other probs if the car's fully booted...

https://offerup.com/item/detail/922130182/
https://web.archive.org/web/20200827181913/https://offerup.com/item/detail/922130182/
https://web.archive.org/web/20200827181926/https://photos.offerup.com/XgY4NPb9XDWq6TAEMWgPPog6iOs=/600x800/a1bc/a1bcceeebbb04beeb921ae20c37a0e4e.jpg - archive of dash pic

Lothsahn said:
cwerdna said:
cwerdna said:
Ok, this person (initials MT) in Los Angeles has a 3 (!) bar remaining '11 with 115K miles. Pic of dash and bars at https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/permalink/3420243624713121/?comment_id=3420254538045363&reply_comment_id=3420279481376202. Unfortunately, the group is a private one.

I think this is the worst I've seen of a Leaf in the US.
From https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/permalink/4056460454424765/, this post from today still shows him at 3 capacity bars remaining and now at 118K miles in Los Angeles.

How can he even use that thing? Is he not replacing the battery just for laughs? :)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/?post_id=4295617787175696 is another post from him. He's at 119K miles now. I thought he just hit 3 bars left but after finding my previous post (quoted), that's not the case.

Another update on my replacement (lizard) battery (Nov. 2016):

battery log 9.17.20.jpg

Early degradation varied substantially, however on average was about .4 to .5 Ah/month. Overall average to date is about .3 Ah/month and for the last two years has settled to less than .2 Ah/month.

Even in my hot Texas climate, it seems stabilizing around 50 Ah will give me fairly good range for a couple more years. At least acceptable to my needs.

Note - have not "curve fit" the data, so degradation is an "eye-ball" estimate.

Marktm said:
Even in my hot Texas climate, it seems stabilizing around 50 Ah will give me fairly good range for a couple more years. At least acceptable to my needs.

I have stabilized around the same 50 Ahr with a lizard battery dated January 2016. So similar, although I have gone through one more (Texas) summer than you.

Stanton said:
Marktm said:

I have stabilized around the same 50 Ahr with a lizard battery dated January 2016. So similar, although I have gone through one more (Texas) summer than you.

Probably time for a different energy rating system for all EVs - that gives buyers a better idea of energy loss trends. Does seem Nissan's design results in fairly rapid energy loss early, then a stabilization period that many buyers should know about so that they can make a better decision about their use cases.

Now I'm wondering if cramming 40/60 kWh in the same space with essentially very limited, if any cooling, will now get Nissan back in the same problem of continuous degradation in our hot climates of TX, AZ, NM, etc. Lot's of opinions and data on this, but any conclusions?

Marktm said:
Now I'm wondering if cramming 40/60 kWh in the same space with essentially very limited, if any cooling, will now get Nissan back in the same problem of continuous degradation in our hot climates of TX, AZ, NM, etc. Lot's of opinions and data on this, but any conclusions?

Based on conjecture from the 30/40/62 kWh threads, I'm thinking that the 40 kWh pack will do at least as well (degrade at the same rate) as the current lizard pack (the 30 kWh pack was a non-starter).
One of the reasons I'm planning on doing a "retrofit" of a 40 kWh pack (at some point) is that even at half capacity, it would be almost as good as a new 24 kWh pack. In addition, the 40 kWh is a better mechanical fit in a Gen 1 Leaf than the 62 kWh.

Marktm said:
Note - have not "curve fit" the data, so degradation is an "eye-ball" estimate.
I have also seen a reduction in the annual Ahr loss.

uc

Marktm said:
Was the original battery replaced? Amazing difference if not.
Original battery, manufactured in 10/2013

The Ahr loss has some context to be aware of. First off, I think I bought a car that had the battery reset. So while my graph starts about 6 months after purchase there still might be some effect at the beginning of the graphed period. Second, I moved from SW Colorado to Albuquerque, NM in early 2019. My home in Albuquerque has a warmer (but in particular longer) summer than SW Colorado. And last, the car has been used very little in 2020 and has sat in the shade.

All in all, the trend has lots of caveats attached, but I obviously would be ecstatic if the low (for a LEAF) Ahr loss of the past year continues. I'm pencilling in another 5 years of use for our modest use of the car. It certainly helps that we can still look forward to using the 80% to 100% SoC that is currently in reserve, and my wife is reasonably compliant with my never ending advice to prolong useful battery life.

Oddly enough, my pre-occupation these days is whether I should sell the car before end of life to minimize depreciation. I'm in the fortunate position (I think) of coming out in good shape either way. Today my wife is going to check out the Bolt just in case it becomes available at dirt cheap prices in the next couple of months (~ $20k) and the LEAF can be sold for ~ $7k. My mental rule of thumb is ~ $80 a month cap cost, which is just amazing, even for a hobbled car.

SageBrush said:
Today my wife is going to check out the Bolt just in case it becomes available at dirt cheap prices in the next couple of months (~ $20k) and the LEAF can be sold for ~ $7k.

If my Leaf will continue to get me back and forth to downtown Houston for next couple of years - I'm going to be a happy camper. I put $100 down on Fenix as an "insurance policy" - almost assuredly that is not going to work out! I've considered a Bolt, but obsessed with V2G/V2H functionality and just don't see that for CCS any time soon. Might actually rethink that if the Bolt gets discounted to those levels - I like the car.

Marktm said:
If my Leaf will continue to get me back and forth to downtown Houston for next couple of years - I'm going to be a happy camper. I put $100 down on Fenix as an "insurance policy" - almost assuredly that is not going to work out! I've considered a Bolt, but obsessed with V2G/V2H functionality and just don't see that for CCS any time soon. Might actually rethink that if the Bolt gets discounted to those levels - I like the car.
V2G/V2H is already in the next gen CCS spec so it just might happen before Tesla.

OTOH the Bolt battery is not designed for it so it might be something to think about as an emergency feature but I for one would not use a Bolt that way on a frequent basis.

SageBrush said:
V2G/V2H is already in the next gen CCS spec so it just might happen before Tesla.

OTOH the Bolt battery is not designed for it so it might be something to think about as an emergency feature but I for one would not use a Bolt that way on a frequent basis.

May be waiting for Lucid Motors for OEM V2G support, however the $20k for the Bolt would only be a down payment (if they actually produce an EV). Then there is dcbel/Leaf combination that is probably the most likely to actually function (if they ever produce a US unit). Just have to be patient.

I've lost 7 bars, 5 left and I have almost 70,000 miles on my 2012 Nissan leaf, at full charge I range from 29-36 miles, I work 13 miles away, going I don't use as much (more downhill flat) then coming home, I'm always blinking when I pull into the driveway at night. I do have to charge at work, or I am not going home. I am hoping to make it to December or January, yeah sounds pathetic, but what do I do with it when it's not drivable ?? Paperweight for my driveway ?? Who would take it ?? bring it to pick a part ? how much do you think I can sell it for ??

S

When this happens (if I keep my 2012), it will be used for "suburban" errands and will charge 100% every night. I regularly take my Leaf to VLB as I'm quite confident in LeafSpy miles to 0% AND the mi/kWh setting, so I plan around that. I'm OK with this as I'm retired and have my wife's ICE vehicle for backup for any longer trips. Not for everyone.

I keep hoping that a reasonable battery exchange will eventually happen - eternal optimist?

Sondy132001 said:
I've lost 7 bars, 5 left and I have almost 70,000 miles on my 2012 Nissan leaf, at full charge I range from 29-36 miles, I work 13 miles away, going I don't use as much (more downhill flat) then coming home, I'm always blinking when I pull into the driveway at night. I do have to charge at work, or I am not going home. I am hoping to make it to December or January, yeah sounds pathetic, but what do I do with it when it's not drivable ?? Paperweight for my driveway ?? Who would take it ?? bring it to pick a part ? how much do you think I can sell it for ??

S
If you still like the car consider a battery replacement. You have probably saved most of the money in reduced fuel and maintenance costs. Yes we all thought we would be money ahead with these first cars and it did not really work out that way. Replacement battery should last much longer than the original. Otherwise a trade in will just be a give away.

Honestly I would move to a different brand and get away from Nissan.

Posted on another thread, but this is the correct thread. 2011 SL, 56,819mi, 8-bar, 40.41 AHr, 61% SOH, 40.18% Hx, 4.072V avg on LeafSpy. Original owner, traction and lead acid batteries. 3rd set of tires, one alignment, wipers, but no major repairs. Still a great in-town car. See you in 2026. -Reddy

smkettner said:
Sondy132001 said:

S
If you still like the car consider a battery replacement. You have probably saved most of the money in reduced fuel and maintenance costs. Yes we all thought we would be money ahead with these first cars and it did not really work out that way. Replacement battery should last much longer than the original. Otherwise a trade in will just be a give away.

Honestly I would move to a different brand and get away from Nissan.

Hence why I was hoping to make it to January with it, I want an electric Kona. New battery won't give me the carpool lane so it's not worth it =) Thanks for the heads up.

Sondra

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/permalink/5095356933868440/ (private group) is a 3 bar '11 SL he says with 61K miles. He also posted dates and mileages of purchase and bar losses. If accurate, I suspect it was originally a 5 or 6 bar car that was reset.

Sigh... a guy at https://www.facebook.com/groups/nissan.leaf.owners.group/permalink/5593872970683498 posted today "Recently purchased a 2011 with 45,000 miles for $4200. Of course I did this without performing proper research before hand, so now I have a leaf with 6 bars of capacity and no heat."

Back