The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Leaf salesman has gone silent. I don't know if the virus got him or something else has happened, but I know nothing about my chances of getting a 2020 SV Plus now. I may have to choose between a good deal on a 2019 SL Plus and be stuck with leather forever, or have to pay through the nose for a 2021 SV Plus. With no Around View on the 2019 SV Plus my options are limited.

Leftie,

That's frustrating. Is your objection to the leather environmental/cruelty related or just preference. I ask, as the SV does have a leather wrapped steering wheel.

There are a few 2020 SV Plus' available in Chicagoland sporting some reasonable discounts. That said, 2019 models are even a few thousand less. If I could convince my family to ditch the minivan, I would pick up a 2019 S Plus for under 30K before the federal discount applied.

I don't like leather for ALL of the above reasons. I'm a vegetarian (I know about the steering wheel and don't like it), and have always - even before I became vegetarian - found leather to be way too much like the hard vinyl seats I grew up with in our American cars. It's too hot by far in the Summer, and too cold and hard in the Winter. Even the heated seats in my SL are too hard in cold weather. You can feel every seam, even through padded seat covers.

We picked up a left over 19 Leaf Plus S for our teenagers.

Sadly it was the same color as the one we had already. The fun part now is truly feeling the ride and efficiency differences in the cars. The S certainly feels lighter. It has a little less ground clearance as well due to smaller tires.

Welcome to Leaf insanity!

Car was 30K +TTL (delivery included in the 30). After the federal rebate it puts the true pre tax cost at about 23K. Guessing with more time a sub 30 price could have been had, but this sales person has helped us with previous cars and service questions, so didn't mind paying the premium.

We did test drive an early 2015 leaf (build August 2014) with 12 bars, but felt the kids would less likely strand themselves with this car.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hydygaEfjuG_bTrRDsaNrHQ0e5ikv1xg/view?usp=drivesdk

I picked up a used 2015 SL and I think I struck gold. It has 68k miles on it but...FULL 12 BARS! It estimates 88-94 miles per full charge. I've driven it over 400 miles and it seems pretty accurate.

It's my first EV and I'm converted. My job as a teacher is perfect because I live less than 4 miles away and my wife and I just built our dream home. I have a garage to maintain it through the extreme heats and colds.

I paid $6800.00 and it looks awesome.

Is there anything I can do to maintain this lucky battery pack? I only fully charged it once and got it flashing low miles once too? I only charge it by 120v because I don't need more.

^sounds like a good deal, congrats. The battery degrades fastest at very high or very low SOC and high temperatures, so to maximize battery life, try to keep the SOC in the middle range. Time is the enemy too so a few minutes at 100% SOC is not a big deal but a week at 100% SOC should be avoided. It's ort of like sun exposure - walking across a parking lot at noon in June won't hurt you much but if you lie there all day you'll get a sun burn and your skin will age faster. Think of heat and high SOC as like lying in the sun. Avoid it to reduce the aging effects.

It's also hard on the battery to sit at very low SOC so try to charge before you get to < 10% SOC if you can. Once again, it's the time spent at very low SOC that is bad so if you do run do to 0% just make sure to plug it in immediately.

Heat also accelerates battery degradation so try to keep the car cool by parking in the shade in the summer if possible. A lot depends on where you live and on a 2015 battery it won't make difference unless it's over 90F outside.

And finally.....I know from first hand experience that you want to make the car last as long as possible and be as good as possible to the battery. That's fine but the sooner you can just accept that it won't last forever and enjoy driving the car the more you will enjoy it. As long as you don't do anything stupid to the battery like let it sit outside at 100F for a week at 100% SOC the degradation will probably be pretty normal. If you want to track it you can get the LeafSpy app and watch each 0.01% SOH drop in real time or you can just drive it, enjoy it and not worry too much about it. Best of luck and enjoy your Leaf.

We went to the dealership today expecting them to pull a 'bait & switch' with the trade-in value of the PIP. They did not. She got a $10k trade-in allowance for it, with the $5700 down payment coming from that. So she did ok on the PIP after all, and now has a 2020 SV+ with All Weather, SV+ Tech and Protection (half installed) packages. The odometer had 31 miles on it. This dealership keeps the Leafs charged to 100%, so SOH is down to 98.09%, but that will do, and the salesman is going to suggest something like 80% instead in the future. Speaking of which: if you need a Leaf in the Albany/Schenectady/Troy/Saratoga area of Upstate NY, David Seacord at Lia Nissan of Colonie is the guy to see. He's only the second new car salesperson I've encountered in almost 40 years who doesn't Pull Crap on his customers. He actually discouraged her from getting the add-on "packages" to the lease. I should be able to show a photo or two later. They have a 2019 SV+ at a very good price as well.

Congrats and enjoy.

I also tried to "educate" our dealer on not leaving the Leafs at 100% , as I often have seen them topping off their new Leafs which weren't sold yet. I do wonder if with the new Leaf, because it starts with NEDC range on the GOM if it was a sales tactic to comfort/sell potential buyers.

My 2019 was sitting at 65% when I bought it in June. What I dont know if that was just the 12v slowing pulling down the car over 9 months from a high SOC, or whether I was lucky.

It is also possible you will see an increase in your early adjustments. I was very excited to get my .17% back this cycle on our S.

rum61ur

UrIxACW

Right click on the word "image" to view it. That way it doesn't slow DSL page loading.

Funny about the Blue: like the Red, it is a bright color in bright light, and a dark blue in lower light. So one of her favorite colors and also one of mine, which is a different shade. I still prefer mine's Scarlet Ember, but the blue is indeed nice. The blue stitching in the seats was a surprise to me, and that's nice too. And I'm really glad I leaned on Nissan Corporate so hard and often when I was in the GLAB, to get Around View back in the SV.

LeftieBiker said:
rum61ur

UrIxACW

Right click on the word "image" to view it. That way it doesn't slow DSL page loading.
Interesting trick. TIL.

I was confused by your other post and thought you replaced your 40 kWh Leaf with a Plus but now I'm not sure... Sounds like there are now your housemate's Plus and your non-Plus?

Just bought our first Leaf. 2017 SV in blue with 25K on the clock. We picked up the car with only 8 bars so we are currently in the process of getting the warranty replacement. A week ago I knew very little about EVs but based on the information that has been shared here I felt confident making the decision to purchase the vehicle. I have a feeling this is going to be the first of many EVs in the house.

I was confused by your other post and thought you replaced your 40 kWh Leaf with a Plus but now I'm not sure... Sounds like there are now your housemate's Plus and your non-Plus?

Correct. We have agreed to try making do with just her car - which will become "our" car - when I turn mine in. I can also choose, if I can get a lease extension (which I think I can, to "wait for the Ariya") to make the lease payments from my own funds after next April. I do much prefer the way my car drives, oddly enough: the accelerator and brake programming are a bit more aggressive, making my car feel faster and lighter.

We just got our 2015 Leaf SL with 42,000 miles on it. Love it so far! I've heard of electric car owners say that it would be hard to go back 100% to ICE cars, and I can see why!

BTW, even though we got the car from a used car dealer, we used the 'Out the door' price negotiation tactic and it worked like a charm and we did all of the haggling through email! SOOOOO much easier! Highly recommend it.

Back