Well new mexico governor decided to make electricity unaffordable

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
smkettner said:
So what is the rate up to now?
My on-peak in CA is over 50 cents kWh.
7.7 cents a kWh for customers of PNM, by far the largest utility in New Mexico. There is no peak pricing although a higher tier of consumption is about 2 cents a kWh more. The Repuke dominated oil and gas regions in the southern part of the state not served by PNM pay more.

You have to be careful of details though because volumetric charges are only part of the total bill. My bills through the summer have been ~ $30 for 200 kWh a month. I'm always amused when the home I built a PV array for in Colorado that reduced the volumetric charges to zero has monthly bills higher than my home in Albuquerque due to the high monthly connection fee.

smkettner said:

NM and most of the country doesn't have to deal with this peak rate stupidity.
Now with solar I only pay the service charge for about 9 months out of the year.

Not all electricity is the same cost to produce.

Should it all be the same price?

I'd guess that the answer depends on how much free market you want. A regulated single price, or closer to a price that is set by supply and demand. Or even the wholesale price, as close to a completely free market as you could get.

How do they handle this on planet Korriban?

The people in California wanted "green" power they now have to pay for green power.
I believe people should have to pay for their mistakes and fix them if they want the situation to change.
All that extreme green power BS can stay in California.
The free market is working perfectly in new mexico.

I would appear that when done correctly 7.7 cents per kwh can cover the highs, the lows, turn a profit for investor owned power plants and no one but government control enthusiasts are complaining.
The power stays on and it's the cheapest in the country. Sounds like you're advocating to fix what's not broken.

Oilpan4 said:
I would appear that when done correctly 7.7 cents per kwh can cover the highs, the lows, turn a profit for investor owned power plants and no one but government control enthusiasts are complaining.
The power stays on and it's the cheapest in the country. Sounds like you're advocating to fix what's not broken.
A well regulated market is a good thing.

Just don't confuse it with a "free market", as it is not one.

Still waiting to hear about Korriban.

From what I can tell it's almost a closed market.
They made the bureaucracy so thick it's impossible to change anything in 1 election cycle which is saving us from becoming California.

Oilpan4 said:
smkettner said:

NM and most of the country doesn't have to deal with this peak rate stupidity.
Now with solar I only pay the service charge for about 9 months out of the year.
I thought you said this green power was more expensive??

It is more expensive.
My solar bill plus my power bill runs about $50 more than my power bill alone was.
Then this winter solar production will be in the toilet and I'll have a big power bill.
It will cost at least $500 more dollars per year best case scenario and $1,000 more worst case scenario with solar.
That's if the coop doesn't raise rates. It's been 5 years since the last rate increase so another one should be coming.

smkettner said:
Sounds insane.
I hope you realize he is trolling you by ass-uming that his entire PV purchase cost is amortized over a short time period.

Ignore him, and he will go troll somewhere else.

SageBrush said:
smkettner said:
Sounds insane.
I hope you realize he is trolling you by ass-uming that his entire PV purchase cost is amortized over a short time period.

Ignore him, and he will go troll somewhere else.
Actually I assume he got talked into some PPA lease that is a bad deal like my neighbor did. My neighbor still pays and pays and I am scott free.

If solar panels pay for them selves in 5 years someone, somewhere is getting screwed brutally hard.
I went into this knowing that it would cost more to have solar.
I started with a bottom up approach, I asked different electrician companies who had done some solar installs who set them up. Quickly I accumulated a 2 lists, a definitely do not use list and a highly recommend list.
The top solar company for this area is green solar from California. They were one of the more expensive companies but the electricians said green solar used the best racking on the market and they have yet to get a call back for anything other than softball size hail.
Financing company is sunight financial, a 12 year loan for about 7% interest. Financing increases the overall sticker price by just about exactly 50%.
I could have gotten a 20 year loan.
I don't do leases. Leases are for people who failed math.
A 20 year loan on a depreciating asset also for people who failed math, that would make the payment cheaper than my power bill, with a slightly higher interest rate would just about double finance charges.
Financing charges would cost as much as the entire system.
The plan is pay it off in 4 to 6 years, because I really don't like renting money. Debt is the enemy. This is actually my first non realestate loan.
Pay it off in 6 years, financing charges only add about 25% to the sticker price.
If I did the 12 year loan there is a good chance the system would never pay for it's self unless rates when up a lot.

It's a little hard for solar to compete in a market that hasn't been turned upside down by good intentions.
You can look up my surcharge and kwh rate, it's public information. Not my fault solar can't compete with a $25 surcharge and 7.7 cents per kwh day or night.

If I had gone with a fly by night company they probably could have gotten me in right at or a little under my spring summer and fall power bill. But it would only be cheaper for as long as there isn't a problem.

I'm like hep A. You can ignore me and live in denial but I'll always be there.

I washed my panels with the gasoline powered pressure washer. Needed the raw power and 0 degree nozzle to reach the panels in the middle.
I'm surprised how dirty they had to get before I saw a 2% and then a 4% reduction in peak power. Down 4% they are real dirty, I never would have guessed panels that dirty were only losing 4%.
So I laugh condensingly at people who clean their panels every week and you can't tell the difference between before and after cleaning.
A waste of time and resources for sure.
I'll fire up the gasoline fuelled pressure washer when I notice they're kind of dirty.

smkettner said:
Mine have only been cleaned when it rains.

Last time it rained I was on the edge of the rain column, so I got all the Haboob and just enough rain to make the dirt to the panels good.
I looked at the panels and figured my peak power will be down at least 10%. Nope only 4%, rounding up.
I'm throughly impressed with how dirty they were and how little it effected power output.
Unexpected results for sure.

Back