Well new mexico governor decided to make electricity unaffordable

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iPlug said:
Still correct about California. As I also posted the source data in the Berkeley thread from earlier today, California's coal mix is decreasing and only 3.30% (and essentially all of that is imported). ~0% in state coal generation in CA (0.15% precisely).

https://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=30131&p=565436#p565436

0% Coal generation in-state is correct.

Oregon still has 10-15% coal mix... from one remaining plant in-state and purchased power from Montana. The good news is that the remaining plants in Oregon and Montana are scheduled for closure early next decade.
Oregon sells some of it's hydro to California.

Interstate electricity imports/exports can be a great thing for all states, both on economic and environmental fronts. If CA could block the last remaining traces of coal from import, they would, but it unfortunately can not be teased out that way.

Oregon is a great resource for CA with its abundant hydropower. I don't know much about OR electricity source utilization details, but hopefully CA will become a growing valuable resource to them, delivering PV solar generated electricity and other renewables when that would be beneficial to them. For example, throttling back hydropower stations when they can buy cheap CA solar PV, then using that saved hydro "battery" energy to feed back into CA when they can get a decent price for it and CA needs it.

https://www.searchlightnm.org/power-play

Looks like NM PRC can approve the clean energy transition act, if they want to, or whatever parts they want to.
I underestimated the power of the of the PRC here.
The PRC will likely keep San Juan open till the current contract expires. Now they can take the millions of dollars they would have wasted breaching the current contract and buy more windmills and stuff.
Had the PRC elected to close the power plant early the investors likely could have kept it tied up in the courts until the contract was up.
The adults are still incharge.

PNM plans to use no coal by 2031.

https://www.bizjournals.com/albuquerque/news/2019/10/09/pnm-seeks-feedback-to-help-develop-its-20-year.html

Just heard on the local radio that that my local electrical coop is going to start offering backup generator lease and purchases.
I wonder if they know something they are not sharing. Maybe they plan on the power grid becoming more unreliable due to inconsistent generation sources.
Whatever the deal is I will be sure to stop by next time they're open and I'm off work to see what it is.

Stopped by the coop.
The person I talked to says the generator thing is still in the early stages and they are gauging coop member interest.

https://nmpoliticalreport.com/2020/01/21/clean-energy-top-of-mind-in-2020-legislative-session/

Democrats prefile multiple bills to raise registration fees on hybrid and electric vehicles.
Sb2 and 20

Restructuring the all powerful PRC after their response the clean energy transmission act.
Which can be summed up in a nut shell as: "baaa hahahahahaha!"
The restructuring would change it so the PRC board would be appointed by the governor...
Which will take a state constitutional ammendment, which means the San Juan contract will expire before the governance can seize the power to close it. If they can even ammend the constitution.
The PRC is saving at least 10s of millions, possibly even over a 100 million dollars by not burning the San Juan contract.
In the grand scheme of things 1 coal plant who's fate is already sealed does not matter, especially with China opening a new one about every week.

If they want to burn all their political capital to close 1 coal power plant, be my guest.
They could be doing much more damaging things to the state or our rights

Oilpan4 said:
https://nmpoliticalreport.com/2020/01/21/clean-energy-top-of-mind-in-2020-legislative-session/

Democrats prefile multiple bills to raise registration fees on hybrid and electric vehicles.
Sb2 and 20

<snip>

The article states:
Republican Sen. Pat Woods, R-Broadview, is sponsoring SB 2, the Electric Vehicle Tax Credit, for this legislative session.

The bill would create a $2,500 tax income tax credit for consumers who purchase or lease an electric vehicle. The credit would double to $5,000 for low-income consumers making below $50,000 a year, Woods told NM Political Report. Tax credits are capped at $10 million per fiscal year.

The legislation will also propose a $300 tax credit for the installation of at-home charging infrastructure, capped at $1 million per fiscal year. . . .

SB 2 would also impose an additional registration fee for owners of electric or plug-in hybrid cars. The fee would range from $20 to $50 dollars annually, depending on the type of vehicle. That money would then be put into the the motor vehicle suspense fund, which goes towards state road maintenance.

The additional registration fee for electric and hybrid vehicles mirrors SB 20, prefiled by Sen. Bill Tallman, R-Albuquerque, though Tallman’s proposed registration fees range from $50-$100 per year.

The EV reg. and license fees are far smaller than the EV tax credits they're also trying to pass. Although I'd rather see this all done via a carbon tax on fossil fuels while keeping license/reg. fees unchanged (or better yet, shift to a weight-based mileage system that would penalize EVs slightly compared to ICEs, but nowhere near as much as the accompanying carbon tax on fuel would impact ICEs), this would also work.

You get reward if you buy new, punished if you buy used.
They want more electronic vehicles but they can't restrain them selves from slapping more taxes on anything they can.

An oil burner VW with a full emissions system delete is looking better all the time.

I think the NM EV tax bill died.

The main problem with renewables other than hydroelectric and geothermal is the variable output is bad for covering base load unless you add huge batteries which blows up the wind and solar is cheaper than fossil fuels power.
The easy answer is build more of those stabilized renewables.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mitsubishiheavyindustries/2020/02/26/this-new-mexico-power-plant-uses-geothermal-energy-in-a-new-way-video/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=MHI#49d3f02135fc

I don't think this will make electricity unaffordable. Its like a nuclear Rankine cycle that runs until it wears out with no fuel reprocess.

Something that has never been explained to my satisfaction is why do people like AL gore who air conditions empty mansions and fakes like Bloomberg who fly all over the world get a free pass to produce lifetimes worth of CO2 to go to a global warming summit or any time they want to go vacation in Asia somewhere but people like me get crucified for burning a little coal?

The justification (or rationalization) is that they cause more positive change that offsets their negative environmental impacts. You could probably argue that driving an EV puts you in the same category. Most people who burn coal do not do similar things.

In the last few weeks the NM PUC (called PRC in NM) rejected the utility's (PNM) proposal to replace 600 MW coal with NG+PV and instead directed them to procure 600 MW of PV and 300 MW, 1200 MWh battery. The PNM proposal would have reduced the average customer bill $6.5 a month (over time) while the PRC procurement mandate reduces the monthly savings to $6

PNM has changed its tune, and is now talking about transmission investments in order to bring wind/PV from the areas best suited for generation to where it is consumed. Personally, I think that PNM has realized that they are not going to receive permission to capitalize fossil investments so they have pivoted towards investments in infrastructure.

These major shifts in policy reflect the change the most recent elections wrought, throwing out trumper/repukes and installing Dems/Progressives -- in the Governor, state legislature, and PRC

GRA said:
Oilpan4 said:
<snip>
The additional registration fee for electric and hybrid vehicles mirrors SB 20, prefiled by Sen. Bill Tallman, R-Albuquerque, though Tallman’s proposed registration fees range from $50-$100 per year.
The EV reg. and license fees are far smaller than the EV tax credits they're also trying to pass.
It is so unusual to see a Repuke propose anything pro EV or environment, I'll add some color:
Tallman represents a district in Albuquerque, a strongly Dem tilted demographic. He is in general Pro Tesla, he says due to his personal ownership of the car. I have heard him speak enough times in person at Tesla meets to say that without doubt he is suffering from senility.

It would be interesting to unmask the puppet master. It might be Akhil Abbas although I think that person is a Dem. Party polarization in NM is less pronounced than in DC, and certainly a lot less vicious. Pre trumpers, I think they even talked to each other.

LeftieBiker said:
The justification (or rationalization) is that they cause more positive change that offsets their negative environmental impacts. You could probably argue that driving an EV puts you in the same category. Most people who burn coal do not do similar things.

Surrreee. So you buy the do as I say not as I do. Post edited because I hurted LeftieBikers feelers. Boohoo.
It was the truth.

SageBrush said:
In the last few weeks the NM PUC (called PRC in NM) rejected the utility's (PNM) proposal to replace 600 MW coal with NG+PV and instead directed them to procure 600 MW of PV and 300 MW, 1200 MWh battery. The PNM proposal would have reduced the average customer bill $6.5 a month (over time) while the PRC procurement mandate reduces the monthly savings to $6

PNM has changed its tune, and is now talking about transmission investments in order to bring wind/PV from the areas best suited for generation to where it is consumed. Personally, I think that PNM has realized that they are not going to receive permission to capitalize fossil investments so they have pivoted towards investments in infrastructure.

These major shifts in policy reflect the change the most recent elections wrought, throwing out trumper/repukes and installing Dems/Progressives -- in the Governor, state legislature, and PRC

Sure just like it made electricity cheaper in California. They will be voted out before they can restructure the PRC and do any major damage.
We already have the cheapest or second cheapest power in the United States. I'm sure they can only screw it up.

My bad I'll be sure to grace you with my presence for 10 straight days to make up for it.

Back