40 kw-hr battery in 2016 leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GaleHawkins said:
Have you heard of any 30 to 40 battery swaps by Nissan in the last 4-5 months?

I bought a 2016 leaf sv 30kwh that had its battery swapped in may. it seems to be a refurbished 40kwh pack with around 92% capacity, 4 cells are higher than the rest. i made a post about that. i've gotten just barely 150 miles on a charge, so im happy with it, in the winter it should perform well.

already tried calling Nissan about the 4 higher cells and they told me unless it has degradation on the dash, they wont look at the higher cells and they "don't understand how i got that information from the car", so they don't seem to care about the battery so long as the battery swap fulfills the warranty, which only requires the car to be brought back up to 9 bars from 8 if its degraded. I wonder if these 40kwh packs in the 30kwh cars have different capacity bar %'s, meaning it would keep 12 bars of capacity on the dash until the 40kwh pack goes below 65% soh which would be about 26kwh.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Its possible the 40kW batteries are ones that didnt pass QC, but ate still well above the 30s the came with. Good deal all around.

That is my guess.
It will be interesting to see how it degrades

I have a 2017 Nissan Leaf S.
battery software update done 3 months ago.
in these 3 month, I went from SOH 86 to 80%

I QC rarely but live in 110 degrees AZ and charge to 100% and down to almost 0 everyday.

LOL, I am expecting a warranty claim and a 40kwhr battery next year.

My question is:

When they do install the 40KWH battery, will I get the magic 40KWH 2018-current model year Miles Range?
around 150?
or will my car still think to be a 30kwhr range?

I really would love to see that 140 to 150ish numbers!!

You will have 38 kwh usable give or take a ½ kwh. My 40 kwh did not have consistent stats at full charge even when it was done 3 days in a row so your range will be whatever you can get out of that. You will likely lose 6-9% of that in the first year or so and "should" slow down to 1-2% a year after that or at least that seems to be the most common occurrence.

leafcreek said:
I have a 2017 Nissan Leaf S.
battery software update done 3 months ago.
in these 3 month, I went from SOH 86 to 80%

I QC rarely but live in 110 degrees AZ and charge to 100% and down to almost 0 everyday.

LOL, I am expecting a warranty claim and a 40kwhr battery next year.

My question is:

When they do install the 40KWH battery, will I get the magic 40KWH 2018-current model year Miles Range?
around 150?
or will my car still think to be a 30kwhr range?

I really would love to see that 140 to 150ish numbers!!

On our 2016 Leaf SL with the 40 kWh battery it shows an expected range of 160+ after a full charge. Actually driving range varies from 100-175 miles depending on where driving at 80 or 40 MPH.

The fourth bar was lost one month after we bought it last October 2019 at 24K miles. It had been in service for 39 months and 44 months since build date. It lived in Staint Louis Missouri. It showed 1 DC charge and from the looks of the 120v charger it had been used a lot. It was fresh off lease with Zero history. The SOH of the new 40 was 99.87 when I got the back in February after dropping it off 30 Dec 2019. After 6 months and 8K miles this month SOH was 97.18. Recently I have started recharging while in the 50-60% SOC range due to 95F high temperature and doing it after dark.

Woww thats unbelievable, I am going to get a 40kwh/and added range for free.

I have been soooo pleased with this car so far, my previous evs were a ford focus ev and a fiat 500e

What an upgrade, finally a proper EV!

I can see keeping my Leaf for many years!

DougWantsALeaf said:
Here is an adverturous 40kW Leaf driver around the south west.
You mean 40 kWh?

They appear to have a gen 2, so not a '16 nor '17. Gen 2 40 kWh Leafs have 110 kW motors.

They are adventurous to even bother w/Electrify America for CHAdeMO. I didn't watch most of the video but spotted incorrect unit usage at ~1:01. 33 kilowatts an hour makes no sense.

Back