40 kw-hr battery in 2016 leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jdcbomb said:
For my situation, I took full advantage of the Nissan No Charge to Charge (NCTC) program. Since I bought the vehicle in 2018 DEC, I have fast charged at least once a week, even during the summer. At last count, I believe LS showed close to 90 DC FC. My max range definitely still around 160+ miles fully charged (75 F ambient) and the degradation appears identical to yours and many other 18 MY units regardless of their charging behavior.
As have I. I abuse mine with daily QC and L2 constant charging, hard driving, Climate control running all the time, and my battery degradation is no worst than anyone else I've read here.
Leafspy Screenshot: https://imgur.com/a/CrlRLl5

DaveinOlyWA said:
GaleHawkins said:
I am so thankful they got my 2016 Leaf back to me before this COVID-19 outbreak hit our area. The range is great and being able to stay out of gas stations is even greater. Charging at home is so nice. Yes the new battery SOH is faster than I had hoped for but thankfully it did start out at 99.87% and based on winter time experience the annual rate of decline is 4.5%. The 30 kWh battery died at the annual rate of 12% .

Yeah I have to call that false news. You didn't get the update or "something"

On the 40 kwh, I lost 7% the first year and well less than one percent for the next 9 months so expect your degradation rate to likely slow down. Now I was practicing SOC control in that I only had 15ish (don't remember right now) full charge events with well over half of them in the first few months of ownership. Don't know if that played a part or not

You are funny. :)

Repost of https://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=583638#p583638:

Sorry if this is known already (I did some searching), but https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171230-0001.pdf (NTB20-001) is the official TSB for replacing 30 kWh Leaf batteries (which we'd multiple reports of this happening) with 40 kWh packs.

It was published Jan 7, 2020 and says "The 30KWh HV battery pack is discontinued as of the publication of this bulletin."

It also looks like NTB14-059 has been updated to NTB14-059d which I found a copy of at https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10171223-0001.pdf.

We have put 5000 miles on our new 40 kWh replacement battery in our 2016 SL that is coming up on a total of 30K miles. We got it back from the dealership 12 Feb 2020 with SOH= 99.87% and 24 May 2020 SOH= 98.87%. Of course this was mainly cool to cold winter/spring season in KY.

That is about 0.01% decrease per day. The next 100 days is going to see summer temps so I expect degradation rate to increase to some degree. Since it was an off lease car I do not know how it was used but at 22K miles SOH = 65%. The 4th bar loss occurred at 24K miles and SOH of 63.xx. and fully charged the range was 60-65 miles for the six weeks it took for the 4th bar to drop after we bought it. It was on a dealer's lot in St. Louis MO from May to Oct 2016 and may have stayed fully charged most of that summer with some days at or approaching 100F degrees.

My son and I did delete LSP and download and reinstall it again and currently it seems to remember it is a 40 kWh battery instead of always defaulting to 60 kWh setting in the software.

Going from a range of 60 miles to a range of 150 miles makes the car much more useful. On the interstate doing 70-75 MPH with AC running the range drops to more like a 100 miles but daily driving is on pig paths and 2 lane roads only.

GaleHawkins said:
We have put 5000 miles on our new 40 kWh replacement battery in our 2016 SL that is coming up on a total of 30K miles. We got it back from the dealership 12 Feb 2020 with SOH= 99.87% and 24 May 2020 SOH= 98.87%. Of course this was mainly cool to cold winter/spring season in KY.

That is about 0.01% decrease per day. The next 100 days is going to see summer temps so I expect degradation rate to increase to some degree. Since it was an off lease car I do not know how it was used but at 22K miles SOH = 65%. The 4th bar loss occurred at 24K miles and SOH of 63.xx. and fully charged the range was 60-65 miles for the six weeks it took for the 4th bar to drop after we bought it. It was on a dealer's lot in St. Louis MO from May to Oct 2016 and may have stayed fully charged most of that summer with some days at or approaching 100F degrees.

My son and I did delete LSP and download and reinstall it again and currently it seems to remember it is a 40 kWh battery instead of always defaulting to 60 kWh setting in the software.

Going from a range of 60 miles to a range of 150 miles makes the car much more useful. On the interstate doing 70-75 MPH with AC running the range drops to more like a 100 miles but daily driving is on pig paths and 2 lane roads only.

That isn't how degradation works in the 40 kwh pack. Its as far from linear, far from heat sensitive, far from affected by climate, as you can get from a Nissan traction pack. If I had to predict, I say you will be at 94.7% a year from today. What is your prediction?

DaveinOlyWA said:
GaleHawkins said:

That isn't how degradation works in the 40 kwh pack. Its as far from linear, far from heat sensitive, far from affected by climate, as you can get from a Nissan traction pack. If I had to predict, I say you will be at 94.7% a year from today. What is your prediction?
Ok show me the science about how degradation works in the 40 kWh pack. I know the 30 kWh pack had a SOH loss of 35% after 3.5 years after the 2016 Nissan Leaf SL left the factory.

GaleHawkins said:
I know the 30 kWh pack had a SOH loss of 35% after 3.5 years after the 2016 Nissan Leaf SL left the factory.

That's not the case for many! As an example, my 30 kWh 2013 is now 6.5 years old with about 75K miles (represents battery
cycles & potential QC heat) and is at a SOH of 48% (10 bars). There are some with much better SOHs than mine.

DaveinOlyWA said:
GaleHawkins said:

How did you jinz my new battery? Three days after your post my new battery SOH dropped nearly a much as in the first 102 days.

GaleHawkins said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
GaleHawkins said:

How did you jinz my new battery? Three days after your post my new battery SOH dropped nearly a much as in the first 102 days.

Every 90 days like clockwork for the first year to 1½ years. After that, its all over the map. Mostly likely when other influences like climate starts showing.

DaveinOlyWA said:
GaleHawkins said:
DaveinOlyWA said:

Every 90 days like clockwork for the first year to 1½ years. After that, its all over the map. Mostly likely when other influences like climate starts showing.

Thanks now I know. It is sad that Nissan started coming apart starting at the top before debugging the kind of important part called the traction battery. I read Renault did use AC based cooling of their EV batteries and hope they get traction before the burn through their $5 billion from the French government. I expect Japan will do something for Nissan.

Ran across this video showing the battery upgrade process. It looks like places are quickly getting it to a science.

Maybe Nissan should sell the car sans battery and open up a whole market of 3rd party batteries.

DougWantsALeaf said:
Ran across this video showing the battery upgrade process. It looks like places are quickly getting it to a science.

Maybe Nissan should sell the car sans battery and open up a whole market of 3rd party batteries.

Link to the video? Intrigued.

Dala said:
evrides said:
Here is my example. I offer Nissan Leaf battery refresh / upgrade service in Portland OR

Umm, did you deliver it to the customer with that flashing-alternating GOM?

no, it was my first experiment. GOM was fixed later

with 40kwh swaps done by nissan, leafspy by default is fairly buggy. I found that if you change leaf spy settings to model year 2018 and 40kwh, and also backup those settings for ease of use because leafspy will change them again, it seems to correctly display the shunts, SOC, HX, and AH.

osi said:
with 40kwh swaps done by nissan, leafspy by default is fairly buggy. I found that if you change leaf spy settings to model year 2018 and 40kwh, and also backup those settings for ease of use because leafspy will change them again, it seems to correctly display the shunts, SOC, HX, and AH.
Not surprising since I doubt the author expected Nissan to be doing these weird swaps and whatever weird behavior Nissan may have introduced, in the process.

osi said:

Thanks for the great tip that worked well. Have you heard of any 30 to 40 battery swaps by Nissan in the last 4-5 months?

Back