Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NonSequitur said:
Doug: a 2019 S+ for low $20s after the $7500, meaning about $29000 before the rebate? Not sure about that - I haven’t found any. I don’t even look at the plus because I’m bottom fishing for a 2019 and content with the lower range model. The person who revived this thread wrote that the best he found was a 2019 SV+ for $36, and the best I had found was a 2019 SV (no plus) for $31,600 (before $7500), and neither of those are low $20s. Mid $20s maybe, but tell me if I’m missing a deal somewhere.

As for price approaching Tesla, not really, because of the $7500 (Nissan still has it, Tesla does not). If Tesla still had the rebate I’d absolutely buy another, but without it they start at $38, so out the door maybe $45? Compared to the aforementioned mid-20s for the leaf, so twice the price. Again, correct me if I’m wrong, but that’s why I’m even considering a leaf and not a second Tesla 3, which I LOVE (best car ever!)

But is it fair to compare a Nissan Leaf S non plus to a Tesla model 3 SR plus. We have a 2016 SV and a Model 3 AWD. Yah, big difference there. But even just an SR plus is a big jump from a Leaf S. Probably an SL Plus Leaf and a model 3 SR plus would be a better comparison.

Jmho.

webeleafowners said:
But is it fair to compare a Nissan Leaf S non plus to a Tesla model 3 SR plus. We have a 2016 SV and a Model 3 AWD. Yah, big difference there. But even just an SR plus is a big jump from a Leaf S. Probably an SL Plus Leaf and a model 3 SR plus would be a better comparison.

Probably not fair to compare a 40 kWh car against a 50 kWh car.

coleafrado said:
webeleafowners said:

Probably not fair to compare a 40 kWh car against a 50 kWh car.

Agreed, but other than that they are similarly equipped, and in a few minor areas the Leaf has a couple goodies the Tesla doesn’t. Heated steering wheel, birds eye camera view etc.

Inventory of 2019s near me hasn't changed since April, but neither have prices.
When would there be a meaningful change - would I have to wait until 2021s come out?
When DO 2021s come out?

They were very firm 3 months ago, and I tried to restart negotiations today, but the salesman appears to be gone. I guess it’s worth a try given the amount of time that’s elapsed.

We bought a 2019 the last day of September, I think that is the day they really want to move cars- end of a month, end of a quarter, lst month before 2020s came out..... they really wanted to sell, we probably could have gotten a slightly better price but they called at about 9 PM with their "final" offer and we were tired........

Hate to repeat myself, but if you're a Colorado resident or can buy a car in CO - if you want a Leaf, don't buy it anywhere else. There are dealerships trying to push out 2019 S Plus and SV Plus models for substantially under $20k after all incentives.

coleafrado said:
Hate to repeat myself, but if you're a Colorado resident or can buy a car in CO - if you want a Leaf, don't buy it anywhere else. There are dealerships trying to push out 2019 S Plus and SV Plus models for substantially under $20k after all incentives.

It's not repetitious to me at all - do tell!
I'm not a Colorado resident (I'm Florida), but when you say "if you CAN buy a car in CO" do you mean residency? My friend bought a car in Kansas or something and shipped it all the way here for savings, but if I understand correctly, the Colorado deals are resident-specific (meaning they won't do someone from Florida any good at all). In fact, the Colorado state-deals are somewhat of a 'crutch' for the dealers, in that they rely on those rebates to bring the price down, so they (the dealership) don't have to work as hard on lowering their own profit on the sale.

If you can point me to a price under $20 that I can actually grab without residency, then point the way!

NonSequitur said:
coleafrado said:

It's not repetitious to me at all - do tell!
I'm not a Colorado resident (I'm Florida), but when you say "if you CAN buy a car in CO" do you mean residency? My friend bought a car in Kansas or something and shipped it all the way here for savings, but if I understand correctly, the Colorado deals are resident-specific (meaning they won't do someone from Florida any good at all). In fact, the Colorado state-deals are somewhat of a 'crutch' for the dealers, in that they rely on those rebates to bring the price down, so they (the dealership) don't have to work as hard on lowering their own profit on the sale.

If you can point me to a price under $20 that I can actually grab without residency, then point the way!

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?zip=80025&showNegotiable=true&sortDir=ASC&sourceContext=carGurusHomePageModel&distance=200&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=c28784&sortType=DEAL_SCORE&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=c28784

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2019-Nissan-LEAF-c28784#listing=275635400

I think the ones I spoke to were the dealers in Fort Collins and Colorado Springs. From memory, provided you finance at least the first 3 months through Nissan of USA, the federal and Colorado tax credits go to Nissan in CO (and are credited to your balance).

Specifically, they said things like this:

We have up to $14,000 in initial savings and that doesn't even include the up to $7,500 Federal Tax Credit!

I had them try to offer me SL / leather seat package deals in the 24-29k range, obviously, since that's their job. But their offers for standard interior SV+ definitely came in below the 21k mark after everything is factored in.

It does look like some of those deals may have disappeared with the peak of the pandemic settling down.

When I bought mine, I financed and the CO state credit was taken off the price. I'm sure I could have paid cash and got the rebate myself but I didn't see the point. The fed $7500 discount is always separate since it depends on your tax liability and no dealer is going to get involved in that. There are also often utility (XCEL) rebates in CO and you need to be an XCEL customer to get those.

So bottom line, I could buy another Leaf and get the CO, fed and util rebates along with any other rebates that Nissan and/or the dealer provide. If you're out of state, all you'll get is the fed rebate and the Nissan/dealer discounts.

goldbrick said:
When I bought mine, I financed and the CO state credit was taken off the price. I'm sure I could have paid cash and got the rebate myself but I didn't see the point. The fed $7500 discount is always separate since it depends on your tax liability and no dealer is going to get involved in that. There are also often utility (XCEL) rebates in CO and you need to be an XCEL customer to get those.

So bottom line, I could buy another Leaf and get the CO, fed and util rebates along with any other rebates that Nissan and/or the dealer provide. If you're out of state, all you'll get is the fed rebate and the Nissan/dealer discounts.

Yes, I totally agree with your conclusion: I called several CO dealerships months ago, including “Woodmen” (who advertise super cheap on cargurus by artificially including all the rebates - pretty shady), and the salespeople I spoke with said you’d need to live in CO to get any of those discounts. It makes sense - who would buy a car anywhere BUT Colorado if this was possible, but even when you finance the contract says you have to keep the car in-state and registered there, I’m pretty sure.

If anyone has ever bought a car in CO from out of state, or even know someone who has, please post details. I’d love to be wrong and get a new 2019 SV for $22, or SL for $25, or SV+ for $25, etc, but when I add back the CO and loyalty and utility discounts at woodsman, the prices are the same as the dealer in Weston, Florida (which is about $30k for a SV).

PS: if I lived in CO, I’d be buying a lot of EVs! Who would ever buy an ICE there?!

I live in Colorado and purchased a new 2019 Leaf SV Plus yesterday.

MSRP was 40,035

Price out the door with taxes was 27,821

After 7,500 Fed tax credit the final price is bought down to 20,321

The dealer fronted the 4,000 Colorado state tax credit.

Amazing deal.
Important to note though: you are a Colorado resident. Someone out of state would not be fronted the $4000 (or be eligible).

Coleafredo, who posted above, also confirmed by PM that he was residing in CO at the time he was getting those discounted offers.

So to reiterate my earlier conclusion: if you live in CO, buy an EV! But for those of us in non-progressive states like FL (one of the worst: even solar power is prohibitive in the “sunshine state”), the calculus is more difficult. I continue my search though.

NonSequitur said:
But for those of us in non-progressive states like FL
To recent posters; consider adding a location to your user profile. Click you name in the upper right, select "User Control Panel", click the "Profile" tab, and scroll down to Location. Fill it in and click "Submit" at the bottom.

jlv: Probably too late, but members should be REQUIRED to state their geographic location in their profile. There are just too many regional differences.

Yea we sometimes even try to guess what country and thus what their power may be like, that gets confusing. Yes Colorado is one of the best places to buy an EV, good thing I live there ;)

Done. Thank you!

jlv said:
NonSequitur said:
But for those of us in non-progressive states like FL
To recent posters; consider adding a location to your user profile. Click you name in the upper right, select "User Control Panel", click the "Profile" tab, and scroll down to Location. Fill it in and click "Submit" at the bottom.

berferd said:
I live in Colorado and purchased a new 2019 Leaf SV Plus yesterday.

MSRP was 40,035

Price out the door with taxes was 27,821

After 7,500 Fed tax credit the final price is bought down to 20,321

The dealer fronted the 4,000 Colorado state tax credit.

Yeah, this is the kind of deal I was talking about. 20k for an SV+ isn't bad, but it's not amazing considering 1-2 year old Bolts with better batteries are 20-30% cheaper.

I was also pretty sure my profile said I was Boulder

Back